• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Baseball

Hey I love em too. I was literally on the edge of my seat when they they were on their winning streak. My dad supports Detroit so I was so ecstatic they accomplished what they did this month. It was good to see. They were the first teams cards I ever collected as a kid.

Tigers forever for sure. Even if I no longer support them as my Number One team.

Last edited:
The old Wide World of Sports on ABC would always open with the line about "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat". Last night I felt the latter as the Tigers beat the Yanks in the decisive game five of the American League Division Series, sending the Yankees into the off season.

Congratulations to Detroit and their fans, but my season is over. Now all I can say is "Wait until next year". :001_unsure:

I offer the same congratulations to Texas. They beat us fair and square. I was in the stands watching the last game. Next year is another season...and one more reason to look forward to spring and summer. :biggrin:

Opening Day 2012

Although the Mariners and A's opened the season in Japan last week, and the Cardinals and Marlins had their opener yesterday, I could not let the opening day for many teams pass by without welcoming the "rights of summer" on this cool Spring day. :welcome:

My team, the Yankees open in Tampa tomorrow afternoon, and in fact I will be flying down to Tampa on Saturday and attending the Saturday and Sunday games versus the Yank's newest divisional rival, the always pesky Tampa Bay Rays, and I will be going to Tropicana Field for the first time.

And to make it even more special I will be meeting my good friend Tampa24 in person for the first time at "The Trop". :thumbup:

Good luck to all fans of Major League Baseball, as the long journey begins from April to October. I wish all fans the best of luck with their teams this year, (as long as the Yankees win the World Series). :cool:

I could not let the opening day for many teams pass by without welcoming the "rights of summer" on this cool Spring day. :welcome:

My team, the Yankees open in Tampa tomorrow afternoon, and in fact I will be flying down to Tampa on Saturday and attending the Saturday and Sunday games versus the Yank's newest divisional rival, the always pesky Tampa Bay Rays, and I will be going to Tropicana Field for the first time.

And to make it even more special I will be meeting my good friend Tampa24 in person for the first time at "The Trop". :thumbup:

Good luck to all fans of Major League Baseball, as the long journey begins from April to October. I wish all fans the best of luck with their teams this year, (as long as the Yankees win the World Series). :cool:

I am really looking forward to tomorrow's opening day game for my Tampa Bay Rays. I will probably go down to my favorite sports bar, drink some non-alcoholic O' Doul's and watch the game with a large crowd. I wish the best of luck to all your favorite teams and the fewest number of injuries possible this season. (As long as the Rays make it to the playoffs if not farther. lol) Let's play ball!

After chatting with each other in the forum for about 3 1/2 years now, Mikey and I are finally going to be able to meet in person this weekend at the game. I'm really looking forward to it. I do have to tease you on one point Mikey. They may be the Tampa Bay Rays, but if you program "Tampa" into your GPS for Tropicana Field you'll find the drive is farther than you expected. Tropicana Field is not in Tampa. It's in Saint Petersburg. Enjoy the beautiful view of the bay when you cross the bridge.

See you in St. Pete! :wink:

I am really looking forward to tomorrow's opening day game for my Tampa Bay Rays. I will probably go down to my favorite sports bar, drink some non-alcoholic O' Doul's and watch the game with a large crowd. I wish the best of luck to all your favorite teams and the fewest number of injuries possible this season. (As long as the Rays make it to the playoffs if not farther. lol) Let's play ball!

After chatting with each other in the forum for about 3 1/2 years now, Mikey and I are finally going to be able to meet in person this weekend at the game. I'm really looking forward to it. I do have to tease you on one point Mikey. They may be the Tampa Bay Rays, but if you program "Tampa" into your GPS for Tropicana Field you'll find the drive is farther than you expected. Tropicana Field is not in Tampa. It's in Saint Petersburg. Enjoy the beautiful view of the bay when you cross the bridge.

See you in St. Pete! :wink:
I just returned from the Tampa-St. Petersburg area yesterday, and I had a wonderful trip. I did finally get to meet my friend Tampa24 at the Saturday night game. We met outside of the entrance to the lower deck seats where my friend and I were sitting and Tampa could not have been more friendly and charming. It did feel a bit strange meeting in person, one of the long time forumites, inside a major league baseball stadium.

By the way, Tropicana Field is actually much nicer than the critics of it say that it is. The stadium was filled with fans, (a bunch of Yankee fans were present too). And while the Rays beat my Yanks in both games that I attended, I had a wonderful time, and it sure was nice meeting Tampa24, in person. :thumbup:

It was wonderful meeting you in person also Mikey. :wink: I'm glad you enjoyed Tropicana Field, even if the NYY's didn't win. :wink:

2012 Regular Season Days Down to Precious Few

For any baseball fans on the forum, the season is down to the last four days with lot's on the line, including the Yankees & Baltimore tied for the American League East lead, with Tampa Bay, Oakland and the LA Angels in striking distance for the wild card. Detroit & Chicago are still battling for the A.L. Central Division, with Texas in pretty good shape in the West. The National League teams are all in place, Washington, Cincinnati, San Francisco, and Atlanta, with one wild card slot up for grabs between the Cardinals & Dodgers.

It has been an exciting season with four days to go and then possibly a tie breaker game on Thursday. I'll be mighty disappointed if the Yankees collapse, but I still think that the major league baseball season is the highest drama in sports with twists and turns every year from the lazy days of April through the pressure packed games of September and into October. This has been a great season so far, with the post season right around the corner.

Good luck to all fans for their teams, and GO YANKEES!!!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 46
  • robbie.jpg
    robbie.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 46
  • imagesCABAZV1G.jpg
    imagesCABAZV1G.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 45
I was hoping this thread would get bumped. This season has been amazing! My team SFGiants clenched their division so I have been on cloud 9 for about a week. Can't wait for post season. Exciting days ahead.

I was hoping this thread would get bumped. This season has been amazing! My team SFGiants clenched their division so I have been on cloud 9 for about a week. Can't wait for post season. Exciting days ahead.

Congratulations on the Giants Deidra. I'm glad you have a winning team to root for. :)

I had the chance this summer to go to my first Cincinnati Reds game. They are doing very well too right now. So I'll have them to root for in the post season if my Rays don't make it. haha

And I was hoping that you would respond on this thread as well Deidra, as you had messaged me a while back about your love of baseball too.

Your beloved San Francisco Giants had origins right here in New York City. My current job as a salesman brings me into neighborhoods of the city I had never visited before, and I get chills when I visit my customer in The Polo Ground Houses, the housing complex built on the hallowed grounds that was The Polo Grounds, the then home of the New York Giants baseball team.

Attachments

• imagesCAQ0O8XT.jpg
    imagesCAQ0O8XT.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 49
  • imageswillie.jpg
    imageswillie.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 52
  • imagesCA1I8N05.jpg
    imagesCA1I8N05.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 50
Doris Kearns Goodwin, who was born a Capricorn in Brooklyn, was on Meet the Press today and talked about the handing down of baseball lore by oral tradition from generation to generation. She is my fave historian and used to be, and may still be, one of the more interesting panel members on the McLaughlin Group which I unfortunately now can't get on satellite, along with the admirable Eleanor Clift.

I love the Norman Rockwell aspect of the game. My dad went to a boarding school in Virginia and was on the baseball A team. He was a lovely, unshowy story teller and knew how to get the best parts across in the fewest words, making his reminiscences dense and delicious. He was an allrounder at school but his baseball tales were the best. Mikeyank mentioned the generational continuum that bb history is heir to and I knew that from my daddy. Today Mrs. Goodwin mentioned the same thing. I've lived abroad nearly all my life and 80% of my memories have more to do with Europe than they do the USA, but today I'm right there with you guys in spirit.

As I was browsing through this "tribute thread to the American Pastime", that I started a few years ago and I came across this post by my dear friend Slimvintage. I love how Slim described "the generational continuum that bb history is heir to", and I do agree that this is one of the most important aspects of the game.

Today in 2012, a 10 year old boy can be sitting next to an 80 year old man at a ballpark, and they have common ground to bond on. As I pointed out previously on this thread, I can recall days 30 years ago, attending Yankee spring training games at Fort Lauderdale Stadium, and getting into fascinating conversations with retired folks in their 70's and 80's, but we bonded over the history, and our love of the game. There is a timeless quality about attending a baseball game.

Today is a cool crisp sunny autumn day in NYC, and there is a post season flavor in the air.

Long live baseball, the American pastime! :thumbup:

End of the line for the 2012 Yankees

My season ended yesterday as the Yankees were eliminated in a sweep by the Detroit Tigers, so I wish the Tigers lot's of luck in the World Series and good luck to fans of the Cardinals and Giants, (that means you Deidra :wink:). As I watched part of the Giants game last night I was rooting for my long haired cutie Tim Lincecum, but the Cardinal won.

Win or lose I love the game of baseball, and as was the cry of Brooklyn Dodger fans, all those years ago, "Wait till next year". :001_tongue:

My season ended yesterday as the Yankees were eliminated in a sweep by the Detroit Tigers, so I wish the Tigers lot's of luck in the World Series and good luck to fans of the Cardinals and Giants, (that means you Deidra :wink:). As I watched part of the Giants game last night I was rooting for my long haired cutie Tim Lincecum, but the Cardinal won.

Win or lose I love the game of baseball, and as was the cry of Brooklyn Dodger fans, all those years ago, "Wait till next year". :001_tongue:

Sorry about your team! They just couldn't catch a break from those Tigers. It was unfortunate that some got hurt and some got pulled from the lineup. I started to see this defeated look on their faces as the series was played. I was rooting for them to win.....but mostly b/c I felt SF had a better chance against them if they won the NLCS. )-: (Go ahead and spank me) But my boys are holding on for at least one more game. I believe they can triumph at home. I believe. I believe. I believe. Tigers are my dad's team. So it would be an epic showdown in the Keveney household if his team and my team advanced to the Fall Classic. Cross your fingers!!!

In Holland the most watched sport is soccer. Cycling, speed skating, hockey...

Baseball you won't find on TV... and yet we becameworld champion!

The 2011 Baseball World Cup was an international baseball tournament held from October 1 to October 15, 2011.[SUP][/SUP] It was the 39th Baseball World Cup. The International Baseball Federation selected Panama to host the tournament, turning down bids from Chinese Taipei[SUP][/SUP] and Venezuela.[SUP][/SUP] The Netherlands defeated Cuba 2–1 to win their first World Cup title, and the first by a European nation since the inaugural event in 1938 won by Great Britain.

0.jpg

In Holland the most watched sport is soccer. Cycling, speed skating, hockey...

Baseball you won't find on TV... and yet we becameworld champion!

The 2011 Baseball World Cup was an international baseball tournament held from October 1 to October 15, 2011.[SUP][/SUP] It was the 39th Baseball World Cup. The International Baseball Federation selected Panama to host the tournament, turning down bids from Chinese Taipei[SUP][/SUP] and Venezuela.[SUP][/SUP] The Netherlands defeated Cuba 2–1 to win their first World Cup title, and the first by a European nation since the inaugural event in 1938 won by Great Britain.
My belated congratulations to The Netherlands, Robert. I did not know that baseball was played outside of the United States, Latin America, and Japan and some other Asian countries.

I went to Boy Scout camp in upstate New York back 1962, and we had an assistant scout master from England working with our troop named Clive. Come to think of it he was in his late teens or early twenties and was actually quite good looking, in excellent shape. Well Clive brought some cricket equipment and taught our troop how to play cricket, and he also played baseball with us.