• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Baseball

Thanks for bringing this thread back up Mike. I hope that all of us baseball fans in here have a riveting and entertaining season.

Good luck to to your Yankees, Mike. :001_smile:

Doris Kearns Goodwin, who was born a Capricorn in Brooklyn, was on Meet the Press today and talked about the handing down of baseball lore by oral tradition from generation to generation. She is my fave historian and used to be, and may still be, one of the more interesting panel members on the McLaughlin Group which I unfortunately now can't get on satellite, along with the admirable Eleanor Clift.

I love the Norman Rockwell aspect of the game. My dad went to a boarding school in Virginia and was on the baseball A team. He was a lovely, unshowy story teller and knew how to get the best parts across in the fewest words, making his reminiscences dense and delicious. He was an allrounder at school but his baseball tales were the best. Mikeyank mentioned the generational continuum that bb history is heir to and I knew that from my daddy. Today Mrs. Goodwin mentioned the same thing. I've lived abroad nearly all my life and 80% of my memories have more to do with Europe than they do the USA, but today I'm right there with you guys in spirit.

Aww... You are still one of us Slim. xo Spain has a rich culture and history also of course. It's a country that I greatly admire for its transformation after Franco.

Well my Rays don't have much to cheer about right now. Having been swept at home by the Orioles. We lost alot of talent to other teams in the post season. We know we won't be as good as last year. But we aren't gonna roll over and play dead either. lol There is still a lot baseball to go between now and October. :001_smile:

One of the great young pitchers in the game today pitched a shutout last night for the San Francisco Giants. He's a great pitcher, I find him very hot and the last three letters of his last name are spelled, "cum". I'm totally smitten.:001_tt2:

Unfortuneately, without good fielding to back him up, the season may start looking a lot longer for Mr. LineCUM. Come on guys, "Bagdad by the Bay" needs ya to "swing for the cheap seats, and hustle on the field!":thumbup1:

So, I finally had time to go get my GIANTS Champion Jersey, complete with my favorite pitcher's name. Imagine my shock to discover I was spelling his lovely name wrong! LINCECUM. My apologies to all Giants fans everywhere. I shall now go down to the dungeon and have myself whipped with a wet noodle for my error!:sneaky2:

Having a Beer at the "Ted" watching the braves game from the Lexus suite...Yea, thats livin'!!!

Having a Beer at the "Ted" watching the braves game from the Lexus suite...Yea, thats livin'!!!
Enjoy the game, Wiredog. I will be at Yankee Stadium on Saturday. My old college buddy got compted with "legend seats", the cushioned seats directly behind home plate from first to third base, with free access to two gourmet restaurants, plus three other ball park, hot dog, hamburger type joints, with waiter service in the seats and free (non alcoholic) beverages too. I'm looking forward to a fun afternoon, and hopefully a good game, (a Yankee win :001_smile:) .

YANKEES all the way..... I'm from New England and cant wait to see the Yanks beat Boston :)

I should first PM mikeyank about this, but if I'm going to go to Hell, everyone should know.

I've always hated the Yankees. I admire the shit out of them, but that makes me even hate them more.

Finally the Rays are back in the hunt. I went to the game yesterday in St. Petersburg against the L.A. Angels. Good game! Good effort by both teams. :thumbup1:

Finally the Rays are back in the hunt. I went to the game yesterday in St. Petersburg against the L.A. Angels. Good game! Good effort by both teams. :thumbup1:
I've certainly noticed their climb in the standings after most folks wrote them off with all of their good players that they've lost.

I'm glad that you had a good time at the game, as I was at the Yankee game and watched the great Mariano Rivera save another game.

And most of all, welcome back Tampa. I've missed you. :thumbup1:

Missed you too Mike. Along with many other friends in here. It's good to be back. :)

Congratulations

Now on May 13, not only are your Rays back in the hunt, but are in sole possession of first place in the American League East. The season is still less than a quarter of the way through, but it is still a major accomplishment for a team with a miniscule payroll compared to the Yanks and Rex Sox, and who lost so many good players by trade, free agency and injury to be in first place today.

My Yankees will down at the Tropicana Dome next week for two games, so I will get an up close look at the 2011 Rays on television, but congrats to a job well done, thus far. :thumbup:

You are so right my friend. I too am amazed at how well they are doing in spite of all the players we lost from last year. Plus obviously the NYY and BoSox could afford the Rays' players salaries several times over. I have to give Joe Maddon alot of the credit. As well as those in the front office who have did the long term planning and hiring of talent. I'm well aware that it's early in the season. So I'm not getting ready to buy World Series tickets to watch the Rays just yet. lol But it is a nice start to the season. :001_smile:

I went into this season with very low expectations. Or at least what I thought were reasonable expectations. I must say that I'm also very surprised to see the BoSox struggling to even get to .500. I'm sure our friend Jeremy is hating it. We still love you Jeremy! :001_wub:

Yeah it should be a short but good series next week at Tropicana Field. I may go to one of the games. Care to join me Mike? :wink:

Yeah it should be a short but good series next week at Tropicana Field. I may go to one of the games. Care to join me Mike? :wink:
I'd love to go, but unfortunately I need to work on Monday and Tuesday, and it's a long way from Brooklyn to St. Petersburg, so enjoy the game, and may the best team win, ahem, ahem. :thumbup:

Congratulations

Our friend Tampa, messaged me this morning that he was at the Ray's wild card clinching game last night at Tropicana Field, (at the expense of my Yankees, but that's okay because we are in too).

The playoffs begin on Friday, and if we have any Detroit, Texas, St Louis, Arizona, Philadelphia or Milwaukee fans out there, best of luck to your team's as long as you don't play my Yanks.

Late September/October baseball can be thrilling or heartbreaking. Congratulations to the winners, and my condolences to Boston & Atlanta fans. Both teams blew big leads this month and are now on the outside looking in.

Let's go Yankees!!!:thumbup:

Go Rays! :)

OMG! What a game! The mood was so somber for 80% of the regulation game. With it being a weeknight and with the kids having school in the morning many people started leaving early. All this with the understanding that the Rays had lost. The Rays were down 7-0 at the end of the 7th inning and were at great risk of a shutout. As it was, a game that usually would have run until 10-10:15 ended at around 12:15.

According to today's St. Pete Times the total payroll of the Rays is $41 million a year. While the Yankees have a payroll of $161 million a year. So about quadruple what the Rays have to bring good players on board. The payroll of the Red Sox is more in line with that of New York. And now the Red Sox will be watching the World Series on television. Not that I really want to rag on Boston. I have nothing against them. But I am proud of my team also. :)

Just got my tix for Tuesdays (game 3) Diamondbacks v. Brewers. I can't wait!!!!!!!!! I got 1st tier. Oh yeah.