• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

This was a fun and educational thread for me a while back. Hopefully the rest of you may enjoy seeing it again or enjoy seeing it for the first time. I regret that many of the photos I posted no longer show up properly. With some of them if you click on the Attachment number link, the picture will pop up for you. On other pictures there's no such luck. Oh well. haha

One reason I bring this thread back to life is that I asked a question on the politics thread that might be more uniquely suited to be answered here. Plus I'm sure I (and maybe some of the rest of us?) can think of a few questions we've always been curious about as to what it was like actually living in New York City.

So I'll start off with my question: :001_smile:

Does anybody in here who is either a little more worldly, more domestically traveled within the U.S., or much wealthier than I, have an idea of price ranges for say an average middle of the road steak dinner in a pretentious foofoo posh "boutique" restaurant of NYC or D.C.?

I must be getting old....which by the way I am....But when I saw this thread, I had no recollection of it until I started reading it again, now six years later. It’s appropos for me right now as my sister-in-law has sold her house on Staten Island and is moving to the Upper East Side of Manhattan and I’ve spent two days with her looking at apartments this week. I will share some thoughts and pics later today.

I am not knowelgable about a wide breadth of subjects, but consider myself an expert on The Yankees, Duke basketball, Broke Straight Boys and New York City, so you are asking questions right in my wheelhouse Tampa. More later. :001_smile:

Now is actually a good type to rent or buy an apartment in Manhattan. The Upper East Side has seen one of the steepest declines in rent price of any neighborhood in New York City, with a whopping 23 percent drop compared to before the pandemic, a new report found. ...

https://www.6sqft.com/rents-in-noho-and-on-the-upper-east-side-have-fallen-nearly-50-since-march/

CITY LIVING, REAL ESTATE TRENDS
These neighborhoods had the biggest rent drops since March
POSTED ON MON, SEPTEMBER 28, 2020BY DEVIN GANNON

fifth-avenue-gold-coast.jpg

Fifth Avenue and East 75th Street; Photo by Eden, Janine, and Jim on Flickr

Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic in March, rental prices in Manhattan have dropped by 24 percent. While the market is slowly recovering on the island, with asking rent slightly up over the last month, new data from CityRealty shows which neighborhoods are still reeling from the state-mandated lockdown and overall financial impact of the health crisis. According to the report, the Manhattan neighborhoods that experienced the largest drop in rental prices between March and September include the Upper East Side, specifically part of the southern portion of Fifth Avenue from 59th to 79th Street, and Noho.

CityRealty-manhattan-rents.png

Courtesy of CityRealty

In Noho, rental prices have fallen by roughly 49 percent from March to September. In the Park/Fifth Avenue section of the Upper East Side, prices have dropped by 43 percent during the same time period.

It’s important to note, the average rent in both of these neighborhoods is much higher than in most sections of the city, with average monthly rent as recorded this month in Noho around $9,285 and $16,179 on the Upper East Side. The average rent in Manhattan overall is roughly $5,280/month in September, according to CityRealty.

Although the numbers point to a real estate recovery for Park/Fith Avenue to 79th Street, with a 55 percent increase this month in asking rents, it’s still a long way away from what the market looked like there in March. The $16,179/month average rent in that area remains 43 percent lower than the neighborhood’s $28,317/month average six months ago.

Other areas in the borough that have seen a significant drop in prices between March and September include Carnegie Hill, down about 37 percent, Morningside Heights, about 30 percent, and the area encompassing Riverside Drive/West End Avenue, about 27 percent. Again, pricing has increased in all of these neighborhoods this month but has still not fully recovered to pre-COVID-19 days.

CityRealty also found a growing listing inventory in Manhattan, which has climbed by nearly 200 percent. Overall, according to a report by real estate appraisers at Miller Samuel, New York City’s listing inventory reached its highest level in 14 years last month. The number of rental listings in Manhattan jumped from 5,645 in August 2019 to 15,025 in August 2020, according to the report.

Here is one of the buildings that I've been in looking with my sister-in-law on The Upper East Side.

DSC_48772.jpg

175_East_96th_Street_Living_Room.jpg

the-monterey-new-york-ny-interior.jpg

175_East_96th_Street_Roof.jpg

This is just one of the many comparable buildings I have visited over the last week. Now is a very good time to get an apartment at "pandemic prices" as I totally believe that New York City will be back at some point, maybe different but just as glorious as ever. I am a big fan of my city!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread about six years go, that I live right across The Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan in Brooklyn Heights which is just as expensive as Manhattan but thanks to the New York City rent stabilization laws, I live in an ridiculously cheap apartment as I have lived here since 1976. I am very fortunate. Here are some pics of Brooklyn Heights, including the amazing view of lower Manhattan.

Cranberry-St.jpg

Side-view-of-Chers-house-in-Movie-Moonstruck-in-Brooklyn-Heights-1533x1024.jpg

brooklyn-heights-promenade-04-myrna-suarez__x_large-e1486483325245.jpg

image.jpg

In this iconic shot from Washington Street down by the East River, you can see The Empire State Building through the lower oval of the bridge. Even though The Empire State Building is over six miles away up on West 34th Street the way the streets wind gives the optical illusion of it being right there.

970d4350f5a48340982b27dd1553af6a

I have taken friends who I met on this forum on guided tours of Brooklyn and Manhattan, including Peterh, Rep and Bart. So if you are coming to New York and you are nice to me, I can take you on the "mikeyank" tour as well. lol :001_smile:

All these pics are great! I love the carousel inside of a box. It's so whimsical and fun. Like a fairy tale or being in a dream. Like you could ride inside, toasty warm, on a merry-go-round that's sitting inside of a snow globe, while looking at a snowy winter wonderland outside. If I were a child I'd be enthralled. haha

All these pics are great! I love the carousel inside of a box. It's so whimsical and fun. Like a fairy tale or being in a dream. Like you could ride inside, toasty warm, on a merry-go-round that's sitting inside of a snow globe, while looking at a snowy winter wonderland outside. If I were a child I'd be enthralled. haha
It's called "Jane's Carousel". it was originally in Ohio and set up in Brooklyn Bridge Park right near the beginning of DUMBO. From Wikipedia, "Jane's Carousel is a carved, wooden, 48-horse carousel that was built in 1922 for the Idora Park amusement park in Youngstown, Ohio by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company."

carousel-bg-home.jpg

janes-carousel-julienne-schaer-004__large.jpg

Janes-Carousel_d4ed5fdd2c9e99d6229f6e61dc1accd9.jpg

If you come t NYC for the "mikeyank" tour Tampa, I will make sure that Jane's Carousel is on the agenda, but sorry to say, you are too old to ride one of the horsies. lol :tongue:

It's called "Jane's Carousel". it was originally in Ohio and set up in Brooklyn Bridge Park right near the beginning of DUMBO. From Wikipedia, "Jane's Carousel is a carved, wooden, 48-horse carousel that was built in 1922 for the Idora Park amusement park in Youngstown, Ohio by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company."

If you come to NYC for the "mikeyank" tour Tampa, I will make sure that Jane's Carousel is on the agenda, but sorry to say, you are too old to ride one of the horsies. lol :tongue:

Thanks for the additional pics and explanation buddy. That's pretty cool for me to hear that the carousel has roots in Ohio. Since I do too. I'm a little bit sorry to hear that adults can't ride the horsies. But you know the old saying, "Save a horse. Ride a cowboy." I guess. haha :p

I’ve had the pleasure of an actual MikeYank Tour of part of Manhattan and Brooklyn Heights and Dumbo and the above pictured Carousel. I have been to New York several times I was there on business often in the 80s but I never knew how charming areas like Brooklyn Heights are. Most of us think of NYC as Manhattan but it’s so much more and definitely one of the great cities of the world.

As one who lives just over an hour out of New York City, I've been to Manhattan, Shea Stadium and Citi Field many times, taking the #7 train above ground to see parts of Brooklyn and Queens, but I have never seen the beautiful pics of the neighborhoods posted by Mikeyank posted on this thread! Very impressive!

Last month I purchased my first iPhone and I've been running around all over New York City taking pics of the city I've lived in my entire life. And as long as Tampa provided this thread, I decided to share a few here today. These pics are from my neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights, Prospect Park in Brooklyn and Central Park in Manhattan. It is a new toy for me, so please indulge me in sharing a few of the results of my new hobby with the forum! :smile:

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

Last month I purchased my first iPhone and I've been running around all over New York City taking pics of the city I've lived in my entire life. And as long as Tampa provided this thread, I decided to share a few here today. These pics are from my neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights, Prospect Park in Brooklyn and Central Park in Manhattan. It is a new toy for me, so please indulge me in sharing a few of the results of my new hobby with the forum! :smile:

View attachment 27285

View attachment 27286

View attachment 27287

View attachment 27288

Very nice pics. The first one and the duck pond resemble somewhat Beacon Hill behind the Massachusetts State House and the Boston Public Garden pond.

Very nice pics. The first one and the duck pond resemble somewhat Beacon Hill behind the Massachusetts State House and the Boston Public Garden pond.

Thanks for the pics Mikey! I'm enjoying them also. :D
Thanks KG and Tampa. I do have other pics that I've taken recently with my new iPhone of my adventures around New York City. And I have a walk coming up next weekend called, Four Squares including Madison Square, Union Square and two other lesser known squares in downtown Manhattan. If you guys are interested, I'd be happy to share my pics after that excursion too.

Thanks KG and Tampa. I do have other pics that I've taken recently with my new iPhone of my adventures around New York City. And I have a walk coming up next weekend called, Four Squares including Madison Square, Union Square and two other lesser known squares in downtown Manhattan. If you guys are interested, I'd be happy to share my pics after that excursion too.

Please do!