• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

I can also recall that trolly in front of my house on Ocean Avenue and Avenue M, when I was a little boy. Damn, I am old!

9543769461_bf2aa4af12_z.jpg

I remember those too but what I was talking about was the trollies that went on tracks . The one in the picture we called trolley buses .

I can also recall that trolly in front of my house on Ocean Avenue and Avenue M, when I was a little boy. Damn, I am old!

9543769461_bf2aa4af12_z.jpg

I remember those too but what I was talking about was the trollies that went on tracks . The one in the picture we called trolley buses .

We had the ones pictured by mikey in Baltimore too when I was growing up. We called the "trackless trolleys". We also had trolleys that ran on rails and we called them streetcars. They had them in Pittsburgh still when I moved here in 1983 and they were called streetcars here too. In both cities they were replace by buses which belch out fumes while the trolleys and/or street cars were environmentally cleaner.

I know this thread is about New York City, however, since the topic of trolley came up, I'll interject my experiences with the Trolleys of Tampa. The original trolleys ran from 1892 - 1946. My mother has told me she took me on the trolley when I was about 5 months old into downtown Tampa. Eventually, the trolley was brought back in 2002 and still runs today.

Original trolley

trolley06.jpg

Today's trolley

trolley03.jpg

Here are some recent pics I found online of the pear trees blossoming in Brooklyn Heights, on the main drag in the neighborhood, Montague Street. Is this what they mean by "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"?

DSCN1796.jpg

DSCN1798.jpg

Here are some recent pics I found online of the pear trees blossoming in Brooklyn Heights, on the main drag in the neighborhood, Montague Street. Is this what they mean by "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"?

DSCN1796.jpg

DSCN1798.jpg

I've been on that block before....

Thanks Louis for the trolly pics.

The trees are beautiful Mikey. I just wish I could stroll along that street. lol

I've been told that NYC tries to severely restrict the number of cars allowed on the streets. I'm guessing in the borough of Manhattan that that is especially true. What are some of the ways they do this? I'm assuming that gas is more expensive. Are people charged high rates to park their cars? I understand that the tolls on bridges going into the city are high. Is car insurance also especially expensive for a resident of the city to get?

Mike, you mentioned pear trees and cherry blossom trees. After the blooms fall, do these trees bear fruit?

I've been told that NYC tries to severely restrict the number of cars allowed on the streets. I'm guessing in the borough of Manhattan that that is especially true. What are some of the ways they do this? I'm assuming that gas is more expensive. Are people charged high rates to park their cars? I understand that the tolls on bridges going into the city are high. Is car insurance also especially expensive for a resident of the city to get?

Mike, you mentioned pear trees and cherry blossom trees. After the blooms fall, do these trees bear fruit?
Most of the streets of midtown Manhattan have no parking until 7 PM. Other streets have meters, some of which are ridiculously expensive. I haven't seen too many gas stations in Manhattan, except uptown and on the west side near the river. I think the cabs have their own places to fill up. I use regular gas and I pay around $2.59 a gallon. I usually fill up in Brooklyn, or while working in Queens or The Bronx. I've been told that New Jersey is higher than New York for gas.

As far as the fruit trees, I only learned today that the trees with the white flowers are pear trees, but having lived in this neighborhood for 40 years, I don't recall seeing any pears but I do remember seeing pits on the ground so maybe they do at least begin to bear fruit.

Most of the streets of midtown Manhattan have no parking until 7 PM. Other streets have meters, some of which are ridiculously expensive. I haven't seen too many gas stations in Manhattan, except uptown and on the west side near the river. I think the cabs have their own places to fill up. I use regular gas and I pay around $2.59 a gallon. I usually fill up in Brooklyn, or while working in Queens or The Bronx. I've been told that New Jersey is higher than New York for gas.

As far as the fruit trees, I only learned today that the trees with the white flowers are pear trees, but having lived in this neighborhood for 40 years, I don't recall seeing any pears but I do remember seeing pits on the ground so maybe they do at least begin to bear fruit.

Speaking of The Bronx and Queens, shouldn't you be there by now?? lol

Speaking of The Bronx and Queens, shouldn't you be there by now?? lol
I have too many "eyes" following me wherever I go, (especially on the forums). lol

I started to drive to The Bronx, but my car was shaking and shimmying some, so I came back here to hide out, I mean hang out and I will bring it to my mechanic near the office in a while.

Not only are garage rates high but the city has an 18% tax on top of it. Here in Brooklyn street parking is not that bad but there are meters all over in the business and shopping areas.

Last edited:

NJ is way cheaper. I shop at Stop and Shop here in Brooklyn and you get gas points. I sometimes get to the maximum of $2.20 a gal off at Shell stations. When prices were very low recently I filed up for under $5 total

NJ is way cheaper. I shop at Stop and Shop here in Brooklyn and you get gas points. I sometimes get to the maximum of $2.20 a gal off at Shell stations. When prices were very low recently I filed up for under $5 total
Wow. Do you drive a motorcycle or a Vespa? haha

There are misconceptions people have about New York city who have never been there. They picture the city as one huge Manhattan. That is only 1/5 of the entire city. There are five buroughs and within those are districts, neighborhoods and suburbs much like other cities around the country. For example, in the city of Tampa we have a neighborhood called Tampa Heights. In Brooklyn, they have a neighborhood called Brooklyn Heights.

I am not sure why I wrote this. Maybe it is because I have seen the City through a wide-eyed lens and know there is more to it than just 5th avenue or Central Park.

In comparison, people look at San Francisco and immediately think of Nob Hill, Fisherman's Wharf and the Golden Gate Bridge. There is so much more to that city.

I am not a world traveler, but when I did travel and visited places, I always made it a point to visit all they offered.

Now back to the Big Apple.

There are misconceptions people have about New York city who have never been there. They picture the city as one huge Manhattan. That is only 1/5 of the entire city. There are five buroughs and within those are districts, neighborhoods and suburbs much like other cities around the country. For example, in the city of Tampa we have a neighborhood called Tampa Heights. In Brooklyn, they have a neighborhood called Brooklyn Heights.

I am not sure why I wrote this. Maybe it is because I have seen the City through a wide-eyed lens and know there is more to it than just 5th avenue or Central Park.

In comparison, people look at San Francisco and immediately think of Nob Hill, Fisherman's Wharf and the Golden Gate Bridge. There is so much more to that city.

I am not a world traveler, but when I did travel and visited places, I always made it a point to visit all they offered.

Now back to the Big Apple.
That is correct Louis about the city being made up of neighborhoods, even in the borough of Manhattan. We have neighborhoods from the highest socioeconomic status to the opposite in all five boroughs.

I'm proud of my city, and I had nothing to do with my parents meeting, both Brooklynites, marrying and raising my brother and I not far from where they were born and grew up. My sort of "nationalistic" pride of New York City is one of many factors that made my week with Peter last October, visiting from Seattle so much fun, as I got to show off, but also learn a lot about my city. It is a diverse city, but views like this one are breathtaking and I got to see it up-close for the first time in over 50 years.

NYC-1.jpg

I filled my car up today on 4th Avenue in Sunset Park, (Brooklyn) and paid $2.79 a gallon. I thought of this thread and saved the receipt to remind myself to post it. I'm never too far from the frickin' forum. lol