• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

Yesterday morning, I commented on the “Ponderings” thread that I was about to go out for my morning newspaper and to the deli and when I saw the pouring rain, I turned around and stayed home, and while it was pouring outside, due to the high elevation of Brooklyn Heights, we never get flooding in the streets, including during Hurricane Sandy a decade ago which devastated parts of New York City.

This morning it is lightly drizzling out so I went out and took a walk around the neighborhood and I decided to take a few pics to show how high up off the water level we are. I checked and see that Brooklyn Heights is 112 feet above sea level. The first pic is from Hicks Street, towards Remsen Street where the Brooklyn Heights Promenade starts. Even a block away you can see the slope as the street goes down hill. Then I took a few pics from the edge showing the distance down to the water line.

Finally to illustrate how instrumental Brooklyn Heights with it’s strategic height over the East River was to General George Washington during the American Revolution, I show the flag pole and the plaque commentating when General Washington had a command post in 1776.

IMG_3950.jpeg
IMG_3952.jpeg
IMG_3953.jpeg
IMG_3956.jpeg
IMG_3955.jpeg

While the streets were wet but clear in Brooklyn Heights yesterday, the over seven inches of rain devastated much of the city including other neighborhoods only a few miles away from me where subway service was suspended and cars were floating in the flood waters. Today there is still major cleanup going on. Here are a few pics from online showing what happened yesterday in Brooklyn.

IMG_2069.jpeg
IMG_2068.jpeg
IMG_2070.jpeg

While the streets were wet but clear in Brooklyn Heights yesterday, the over seven inches of rain devastated much of the city including other neighborhoods only a few miles away from me where subway service was suspended and cars were floating in the flood waters. Today there is still major cleanup going on. Here are a few pics from online showing what happened yesterday in Brooklyn.

View attachment 162756View attachment 162757View attachment 162758

That's crazy amount of rain!

I was in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn today strolling down Smith Street, a beautiful old tree lined street featuring cool restaurants and businesses. But when I looked south toward downtown Brooklyn, it wasn’t as pleasing to my eyes as there is a concentration of the tall skinny skyscrapers like in uptown Manhattan. I so prefer the look of old New York. But maybe that’s cause I’m old. :ohmy: lol

IMG_3958.jpeg
IMG_3959.jpeg
IMG_3960.jpeg
IMG_3961.jpeg

Have a question, maybe this is the thread to do it. I am shocked as to how expensive NYC is to visit. When l have visited its usually in the February or March time frame. But I look at the hotel costs near Times Square or even the Financial District and its outrageous at nearly $300 to $500 a night. The cheapest seems to be Staten Island and taking the ferry in. But if you were to visit NYC how would you do it in an affordable manner.

Have a question, maybe this is the thread to do it. I am shocked as to how expensive NYC is to visit. When l have visited its usually in the February or March time frame. But I look at the hotel costs near Times Square or even the Financial District and its outrageous at nearly $300 to $500 a night. The cheapest seems to be Staten Island and taking the ferry in. But if you were to visit NYC how would you do it in an affordable manner.
Thank you for asking. I’m not terribly familiar with hotel prices as I’ve lived here all my life. I think you are on the right track looking into the outer boroughs. The closer to Manhattan, the more expensive the rooms are. I just searched hotels in Brooklyn and neighborhoods like Park Slope and Sunset Park are probably 30 minutes from the Financial District and 45 minutes from midtown by subway. I see rooms for under $200 a night which can be half of Manhattan rates. Queens is another option.

I’d be glad to advise you on safe, close to Manhattan areas on this thread or through a private message. Be smart as to the areas you stay in and not to travel the subways too late at night, but Brooklyn and Queens and I imagine Staten Island are fine options to Manhattan’s prices.

Here are some Brooklyn rates now, but do your own search and be aware of the neighborhood. Again, I’m happy to offer advice.

Today has been another in a string of days that seem like “August in October” in New York City. I met a friend and went to The Meatpacking District on the West side to Museum of Illusions, “Exhibits to deceive the eye including kaleidoscopes & holograms, plus tilted & reverse rooms.” It was different and a fun experience.

Then we walked two blocks to the shoreline of the Hudson River and visited, “Little Island”, “Little Island at Pier 55 is an artificial island park in the Hudson River west of Manhattan in New York City, adjoining Hudson River Park.” I’ve posted pics from there before on this thread, but right next door to that is a brand new park that just opened this past Monday, “Gansevoort Peninsula In Hudson River Park”. From the website, it is, “The Park’s Newest 5.5-Acre Green Space Features the First Public Beachfront in Manhattan. Recreational Space and Amenities Include Lounging Areas, a Salt Marsh, Sports Field, Adult Fitness Area and Misting Station.

The coolest part is a real beach on the Hudson River. You cannot swim but you can sunbathe and on this 82 degree day, people were doing just that. Finally we had a really nice lunch at The Standard Hotel, a luxury hotel built over and intertwined with The Highline Park.

Here are some of my “mikeyank iPhone Home Pics” from today from all four venues. :biggrin:

IMG_3968.jpeg
IMG_3980.jpeg
IMG_3979.jpeg
IMG_3978.jpeg
IMG_3975.jpeg
IMG_3976.jpeg
IMG_3977.jpeg
IMG_3987.jpeg
IMG_3985.jpeg

I was in 67 acre Fort Tryon Park in the northwest section of Manhattan on a partly cloudy cool Sunday, along with a brief visit to The Cloisters Metropolitan Museum on the same grounds. And besides enjoying my day very much, my iPhone health app says that I walked 11,083 steps equal to 4,3 miles making it a healthy fun day too. :biggrin:

IMG_4002.jpeg
IMG_4004.jpeg
IMG_4005.jpeg
IMG_4006.jpeg

IMG_3999.jpeg

I have a friend who lives on Long Island, but much like me, she loves to explore and photograph New York City and yesterday, we got together to visit Central Park for some Fall Foliage pics. Central Park is an oasis from concrete and buildings basically in the middle of Manhattan, hence the name, “Central Park”. We are so fortunate that back in 1853, New York State decided to set aside 775 acres to build a man made park. It is actually larger than some countries in the world. There was a competition to see whose design would be used and the duo of Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux won the completion as thusly we New Yorkers won in the long run. It is a totally man made park built around the ancient bedrock called, “Manhattan schist”. The results are astounding.

Yesterday we stayed within a small radius between 72nd Street and down to 60th Street, including the Loeb Boathouse, The Bow Bridge, Bethesda Terrace & Fountain, The Mall and the Gapsow Bridge. All of Central Park goes as far south as Columbus Circle at 59th Street and as far north as 110th Street in Harlem, and east to west from 5th Avenue to Central Park West, about a mile and a half from east to west.

Here are my pics from October 31, 2023.

IMG_4047.jpeg
IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4052.jpeg
IMG_4053.jpeg
IMG_4054.jpeg

As I did my morning chores today, I stopped to take some pics of some of the cool architecture here in Brooklyn Heights on a sunny mid November morning!

IMG_4161.jpeg
IMG_4163.jpeg
IMG_4162.jpeg
IMG_4164.jpeg
IMG_4166.jpeg