• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

I apologize that these posts lifted from another thread don't allow easy quoting and response. Hopefully it gets us started on a continuing discussion though.

I've often heard that NYC is one of the most expensive places to live. How much are things like a gallon of gas or a gallon of milk? I'm guessing that gasoline in Manhattan would be pretty expensive. Especially so when they are trying to discourage people from driving there at all.

One of the things that amazed me about NYC was the subway system under Manhatten. There were hallways going everywhere to catch the subways to everywhere. It was real confusing at first, but once you figure out North and South, it's pretty easy. Once inside the subway there are maps to let you know what stops are coming up. We didn't go from Manhatten to any other Burough but Brooklyn, so that would be another confusing thing to figure out if I should chose to go back again. But Mikeyank has to visit Seattle before I go back east again...

One of the things that amazed me about NYC was the subway system under Manhatten. There were hallways going everywhere to catch the subways to everywhere. It was real confusing at first, but once you figure out North and South, it's pretty easy. Once inside the subway there are maps to let you know what stops are coming up. We didn't go from Manhatten to any other Burough but Brooklyn, so that would be another confusing thing to figure out if I should chose to go back again. But Mikeyank has to visit Seattle before I go back east again...
Interesting that you mentioned the subway system under Manhattan, but as you remember there was also a subway running right under where you were sleeping, as the 4 Train runs down Joralemon Street and you felt the rumble under your mattress. You asked me about the rumble and I didn't even realize you could feel it. I don't notice it.

The subway system is pretty amazing. At one time there were three separate lines the BMT, IRT and IND but they all merged either before I was born or while I was a young kid. And actually it is not confusing going from one borough to another, as you know which trains go into Queens or The Bronx and you just change trains as we did and pickup the right line to where you are going. I am going to Yankee Stadium in two weeks and I take one subway the 4 Train all the way to 161st Street in The Bronx. The ride is under an hour.

There is a subway museum underground in an abandoned subway station in my neighborhood. I think Peter would find it very interesting. We'll have to check it out next time you come to New York. (I know, after I visit Seattle).

This is north of 59th Street in Manhattan including Queens and The Bronx.

ny-subway-map.gif

And this is an overview of the whole subway system including Brooklyn.

nyc-subway-map-2010.jpg

That's so cool!

And there are a few subways going under Central Park. :)

That's so cool!

And there are a few subways going under Central Park. :)
Most of the subways are East and West of Central Park, but I do see from the map that the 2 and 3 train do go through the northwestern section of the park.

At one time there were three separate lines the BMT, IRT and IND but they all merged either before I was born or while I was a young kid.
As I thought about it Peter, you and I walked through a long underground tunnel when we got on the subway on Eighth Avenue at Times Square and walked to a connecting train, (the 2 train) going into Brooklyn Heights. Those long tunnels were built when the three subway lines merged giving free transfers from every subway to one another.

As I thought about it Peter, you and I walked through a long underground tunnel when we got on the subway on Eighth Avenue at Times Square and walked to a connecting train, (the 2 train) going into Brooklyn Heights. Those long tunnels were built when the three subway lines merged giving free transfers from every subway to one another.

We entered the subway station on the lower eastside of central park right next to that huge apple store. Of course I found the entrance as Mikeyank was lost!! lol

Looks like a lot of people when they think of NYC they just think of Manhattan. The other 4 boroughs are just as interesting.To get from place to place there are bridges and tunnels but a lot have tolls that are $8 one way. You can waste a lot of time and gas going with trucks and heavy traffic on the few free bridges into Manhattan.
I live in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn. A very interesting area which has fishing boats and seafood restaurants. A large percentage of the people are now Russian and Asian so the stores have lots of Russian culture. There is an area a few blocks away that has Asian markets. The people living around them are all Asian. It used to be Jewish and Italian and Black. There is an area that was 100% black associated with a race track going back to before the civil war. Black people worked in the stables with the race horses. When it closed they stayed in the area in their houses they owned. The very old Baptist church is still there.

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of people when they think of NYC they just think of Manhattan. The other 4 boroughs are just as interesting.To get from place to place there are bridges and tunnels but a lot have tolls that are $8 one way. You can waste a lot of time and gas going with trucks and heavy traffic on the few free bridges into Manhattan.
I live in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn. A very interesting area which has fishing boats and seafood restaurants. A large percentage of the people are now Russian and Asian so the stores have lots of Russian culture. There is an area a few blocks away that has Asian markets. The people living around them are all Asian. It used to be Jewish and Italian and Black. There is an area that was 100% black associated with a race track going back to before the civil war. Black people worked in the stables with the race horses. When it closed they stayed in the area in their houses they owned. The very old Baptist church is still there.
I've spent a lot of time in Sheepshead Bay over the years. I grew up in the Midwood section of Brooklyn, on Ocean Avenue, and as a kid would the the Ocean Avenue bus to the end and we would bring fishing lines and poles and go out on the wooden pier through Sheepshead Bay to drop our lines to fish, or in the summer walk across the bridge to get to Manhattan Beach for the sun and surf, and of course with my family would go out to eat at the famous Lundy's restaurant, which always seemed strange to me as a kid, as this was a white Jewish area then, but all of the waiters were black men, dressed in elegant white uniforms, and they even had bathroom attendants, which I had never seen before. It was a beautiful old building overlooking the Bay.

I drove through Sheepshead Bay with Peter on our way to Coney Island and pointed out how the neighborhood has changed over the years, including the influx of Russians. Brooklyn, as well as the other four boroughs have an interesting, rich history and culture.

Here are some pictures of Lundy's and Sheepshead Bay.

brooklynlundys.jpg

105991140.sCkuQ5KR.IMG_1357pbase.jpg

$T2eC16J,!y0E9s2S5)qrBQNqJDs,qQ~~60_35.JPG

708_22_sheep.JPG

sheepshead-bay-piers.jpg

Mikey I also remember the Ocean Avenue trolley. It went on tracks with a pole to overhead electric wires. It had a coal stove heater in the middle of the cab where people sat. We would go on it sometimes when my father didn't want to take the car to go to my grandfather's house on Ave S and 18th Street.

I made my first visit to NYC in September of 1963. I returned every year and sometimes twice a year until August, 2001. I watched as the Twin Towers were being built. Then 9/11 happened. I have not been back there since.

My favorite things to do were:

1. Going to organ concerts at St. Patrick's Cathedral and Grace Cathedral.

2. Eating in Spanish Harlem. Since I speak fluent Spanish I had no problem getting around.

3. Broadway. I have seen the musical Cats 32 times, 14 of which were on Broadway.

What is interesting is that in all my years of visiting I never had one sexual encounter while there. My whole purpose for being there was my love for the city. The only Borough I never visited was the Bronx.

In this late stage of my life I doubt if I will ever return.

Of Special Note: I had planned to make a trip to the City leaving on 9-7-2001. My arrangements were to stay with a friend for a week. However, my Father was extremely ill that summer so I moved my trip up a month to August. My Dad died on September 1st. I returned to work following his funeral on 9-11-2001. That is probably one of the most difficult days I have ever endured in my life.

Last edited:
For Tampa's information: The dimensions of one city block in Manhattan equal the dimensions of four city blocks in Downtown St. Petersburg. That alone shows you the enormity of the City compared to our little town.

Mikey I also remember the Ocean Avenue trolley. It went on tracks with a pole to overhead electric wires. It had a coal stove heater in the middle of the cab where people sat. We would go on it sometimes when my father didn't want to take the car to go to my grandfather's house on Ave S and 18th Street.
I can also recall that trolly in front of my house on Ocean Avenue and Avenue M, when I was a little boy. Damn, I am old!

9543769461_bf2aa4af12_z.jpg

What is interesting is that in all my years of visiting I never had one sexual encounter while there.
While there was and still is a ton of culture in NYC, the sex in the pre AIDS era was incredible, from the dirty movie theaters, back room bookstores, baths, the West Side Piers, The Trucks, The Rambles in Central Park, The Promenade in Brooklyn Heights, as well as dark areas in every park at night.

And anything we caught could be cured with some salve or a shot of penicillin or some Quell. lol

While there was and still is a ton of culture in NYC, the sex in the pre AIDS era was incredible, from the dirty movie theaters, back room bookstores, baths, the West Side Piers, The Trucks, The Rambles in Central Park, The Promenade in Brooklyn Heights, as well as dark areas in every park at night.

And anything we caught could be cured with some salve or a shot of penicillin or some Quell. lol

Sounds Very San Francisco in those day's it was every ware..Funny story. Well I guess not so funny today.
Go and fuck all weekend. The Baths were a big party..Come Tuesday. Everyone would go to the City Clinic get your shot of penicillin.
Everyone that was anyone was there. Then get phone numbers and make dates for the weekend....
Come Friday start all over again..You were cured..The burning stopped..It was a very wild time. INCREDIBLE......
Unbelievabley Wild and Wonderful Time.You Had to be there???
Only thing..Something bad happened..In a few years. Everyone that was anyone was gone.

Sounds Very San Francisco in those day's it was every ware..Funny story. Well I guess not so funny today.
Go and fuck all weekend. The Baths were a big party..Come Tuesday. Everyone would go to the City Clinic get your shot of penicillin.
Everyone that was anyone was there. Then get phone numbers and make dates for the weekend....
Come Friday start all over again..You were cured..The burning stopped..It was a very wild time. INCREDIBLE......
Unbelievabley Wild and Wonderful Time.You Had to be there???
Only thing..Something bad happened..In a few years. Everyone that was anyone was gone.
The wild easy sex seemed too good to be true, and it turned out that it was, for so many. I consider myself very fortunate, whether through a natural immunity or more likely through my not being into anal sex, but I'm one of the lucky one's who's still here.

Let me think of something fun regarding NYC to talk about.