• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

I love the detailed brick work of the old window frames. It really is a combination of rote utilitarian bricklaying mixed with no small amount of artistic skill that gives it such an aesthetically pleasing look to the eye. I'm so glad they preserved them rather than just tearing them down. They're the end result of the blood, sweat and labor of people who are now long gone.

I love the detailed brick work of the old window frames. It really is a combination of rote utilitarian bricklaying mixed with no small amount of artistic skill that gives it such an aesthetically pleasing look to the eye. I'm so glad they preserved them rather than just tearing them down. They're the end result of the blood, sweat and labor of people who are now long gone.

Agree, but my eyes too bad to write more so am quoting Tampa.

Excellent points Tampa!

The older I get, the more I appreciate Spring each year, a new beginning. It has been mostly chilly and the trees on my block are still bare.

31017FA0-F388-4EBA-9E6E-0717A4A5EC7C.jpg

However when I was out on Montague Street this morning I saw that some of the flowers on the trees are starting to blossom.

4F9BE929-E263-4152-9328-84F19CF94612.jpg

E7A08BC0-E9C4-4165-A941-8DDCE7B6A8D5.jpg

I think that I’m going to use this thread to chronicle the beautiful transition from winter into spring this year!

It is nice but then comes summer with its heat & humidity & without air it can be an issue. However getting back to your pictures they are beautiful, thanks for sharing them. One other thing, be grateful you are able to go out & enjoy them.

It is nice but then comes summer with its heat & humidity & without air it can be an issue. However getting back to your pictures they are beautiful, thanks for sharing them. One other thing, be grateful you are able to go out & enjoy them.
Thank you br. And I am 100% grateful that I am still able to get out and about. I’m trying to do as much as I can while I still can. I’ve come to appreciate the beauty of nature as well as the beautiful architecture in my city.

I got tickets yesterday to go to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden later this month during cherry blossom season. I am going on April 19th and intend to share my pictures here. I also have a walk scheduled for next Saturday to Greenpoint Brooklyn, a unique neighborhood of Brooklyn that I’ve only been to once before. Friends tell me to travel around the country and to Europe and beyond but I find there is so much for me to enjoy right here in the five boroughs of New York City.

Last edited:
The older I get, the more I appreciate Spring each year, a new beginning.
I think that I’m going to use this thread to chronicle the beautiful transition from winter into spring this year!

Thank you br. And I am 100% grateful that I am still able to get out and about. I’m trying to do as much as I can while I still can. I’ve come to appreciate the beauty of nature as well as the beautiful architecture in my city.

I got tickets yesterday to go to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden later this month during cherry blossom season. I am going on April 19th and intend to share my pictures here.

Thanks Mikey!

I think chronicling the spring season for yourself (and for us) is a great idea! I also love the cherry blossoms. So I hope it's an enjoyable outing for you. :)

Mike I am glad you are going to the Gardens & taking full advantage of the outside while you can. I sincerely hope you stay able to for many years to come.

Today I am going with my walking group on a tour of Greenpoint Brooklyn. As you can see on this map, Greenpoint is the most northern part of Brooklyn, (see green arrow) and it is directly across the East River from Lower Manhattan. I’ve lived in Brooklyn my entire life, but have only been to Greenpoint once before with the same walking group a few years ago. It is an old Polish neighborhood that was heavily into manufacturing back in the days and like most of the waterfront has been redeveloped into park land and housing. But it still has old parts deep in the Polish roots. I will take pics and show some highlights when I return this evening.

E3E03868-CD7C-4159-82C3-1709E484CA8B.jpg

For perspective this is the entirety of Brooklyn, with Greenpoint in red at the top of Brooklyn. You can see how enormous Brooklyn is.

27FADF5D-0738-4A3B-9D9E-373745B9DED4.jpg

This is a fun map. It shows that the entire cities of Chicago and Houston could fit into Brooklyn, which is just one of the five boroughs of New York City. We can see other U.S. cities that could fit into the five boroughs as well. (I just noticed this map is population and not area, but it is still a fun map).

59A8F08C-0C74-4DB6-AE12-07C94DD73107.jpg

TY for the information & have a great time.

Today was only the second time I was in the most northern section of Brooklyn, Greenpoint. Each of the over 200 neighborhoods of New York City has a distinctive feel to it. We walked through the old streets of this primarily Polish neighborhood from the 1800’s where the primary industry was on the waterfront in New York harbor. Today there is a new section in the north end called Greenpoint Landing where there are new residential buildings gleaming in the sky. Right across the East River is midtown Manhattan, at East 34th Street where the Empire State Building dominates the sky.

Here are a few pics from Greenpoint Brooklyn from earlier today.

AE169439-08B3-475D-B2DB-EC9C404F7EC4.jpg

C4AA78E8-5DB4-47B3-B9B6-3BEE1F4DC74C.jpg

C4DF1E1F-8C88-4C69-9521-971F88E9B8DC.jpg

23274119-262B-4A4A-AD53-1F7ADD790CB3.jpg

46DAC687-DA27-43DE-81AD-14B6CBEC6201.jpg

EE338B62-072B-47B4-ABB6-F4696CA8AEE3.jpg

Thanks Mikey!

I think chronicling the spring season for yourself (and for us) is a great idea!

One week later the majority of trees on my block remain bare.

5CC7F99C-D151-41A0-A7CC-9B051B833F42.jpg

But the little tree right near my building is blossoming incredibly in just one week!

FB9CE9FB-EC6C-472F-B1C6-B34D4A796208.jpg9F6A17E3-2663-40F5-A726-1DC897481EB5.jpg

With all the man made ugliness in the world, it is refreshing to see that “Mother Nature” continues to work her magic, despite it all. :smile:

With all the man made ugliness in the world, it is refreshing to see that “Mother Nature” continues to work her magic, despite it all.

It is indeed, even or especially from the confines of the now far dryier basement room.

I love seeing old New York City. This pic from 1912 shows the Brooklyn end of the Manhattan Bridge. Today we have a subway going across it instead of street cars.

3E29BF95-1AA1-4152-8853-2D5632911E97.jpg

I remember the good olde days traveling with the street cars.

I was out in my neighborhood and down into Brooklyn Bridge Park late this afternoon. Spring has not fully taken effect but we are starting to get there. Within a month or sooner, it will all be lush and green. This is how it looked today, April 15.

452C9C4E-A3BB-46BB-BAB7-F311234353C4.jpg

F059F36D-388A-47AF-A432-8C2C13B413E7.jpg

9FBBDF6C-204A-429B-95F5-532E04451CE4.jpg

B4ABC2D7-5864-449E-BA74-17FAD2F387C9.jpg

26A5B188-F9C7-4338-846B-6D9D2C5FE72D.jpg

So very bright & clear & green, TY .Even my failing eyes appreciated it.