• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

April 27, 2022

Just a few random shots from this morning in the spring of 2022 in my little slice of New York City. :sun:

59B6D03D-21ED-44D3-BFBB-D32B218ABECB.jpg

97006D9D-D5D7-4482-B4BB-647329B9F578.jpg

97006D9D-D5D7-4482-B4BB-647329B9F578.jpg

94F9DF0A-E8BB-418B-814F-E0A7239F478E.jpg

The leaves are coming out! :biggrin: There were none on many of those trees just a few weeks ago.

I know you don't drive anymore Mikey. But what are gas prices like lately in NYC?

I remember reading few years ago (pre-Covid) where a brand new Home Depot opened (in Manhattan I think) and the national chain representatives along with even some of the local employees were said to be rather shocked by NYC attitudes. Such as people buying a large, bulky item that was only, say $17.99, but not possible to carry safely on the subway. So they'd purchase this item for less than $20, and then not blink an eye when they were told it would be $20+ to have it delivered to their home.

Does that kind thing happen often to people in the city who are just used to paying high delivery fees for simple things they can't or don't want to take home via the subway or a taxi?

For people without cars, how do they get their groceries home without cars or taxis if they choose not to have them delivered and their favorite grocery store is located farther way?

Last edited:
Monday and Wednesday are my two work days so I am outside waiting for them to open. I shall answer your questions tonight or tomorrow which is the beginning of my four day weekend. I enjoy my semi retired lifestyle. Just enough work days to keep me occupied.

Monday and Wednesday are my two work days so I am outside waiting for them to open. I shall answer your questions tonight or tomorrow which is the beginning of my four day weekend. I enjoy my semi retired lifestyle. Just enough work days to keep me occupied.

Enjoy your day as a working stiff my friend. :wink:

Tampa Amazon among others show that most people do have their purchases delivered home.

I’ve lived on this block for over 45 years, but when I was in my twenties, I didn’t notice architecture or trees and flowers, but over the last number of years, as I get older, I am seeing things that I never noticed before.

In addition to the greening of the leaves on the trees, I am also noticing pretty flowers blooming, which I assume will drop off or turn green as spring turns to summer. But as for today, they are really pretty. :biggrin:

F5A20AFA-34DD-4329-8BF4-9B6DA6E28384.jpg

1B3B3077-322C-4B13-978F-BD648F3AB4DC.jpg

7C5BB6EB-2E78-4B46-AD4D-871A7E5B73B7.jpg

B27423F0-A5BA-404A-92A4-769F6CE9BDBE.jpg

And now to answer some of Tampa’s questions from yesterday which was a work day for me. By the way, I want to mention that I am not working because I need the money, but rather to stay busy and keep my mind sharp, as many of my friends my age are fully retired and I think they are bored and unstimulated. For me working Monday’s and Wednesday’s breaks up my week and now today on Thursday, I begin what I consider my four day weekend. And my total commute leaving my apartment until I reach my office, is approximately 40 minutes. Maybe I’m just playing “mind games” but for now it is working for me.

As far as gasoline prices, Tampa is right that as I don’t drive, I don’t pay attention. But according to AAA, the current average price for mid-grade gas is $4.58 per gallon. I know that on Tuesday I was on Long Island with my sister-in-law and she filled her tank and it came to almost $70.00, and Long Island is somewhat cheaper than New York City. I’m sure glad that I travel by subway where with a senior metro card, it costs me $1.35 per ride. Much better deal. lol

As far as grocery shopping, for me it is easy as there are two Key Food supermarkets in my neighborhood, and I live equidistant to both, about a ten minute walk to either. I buy enough to fill my grocery bag and shopping three times a week works out well. For families, who need to make larger purchases, they do have delivery service. At one time it was free, but I am not sure what is the case now. Many folks use Fresh Direct or other online apps to do their shopping, but I walk to one of the two stores depending on what other stores I need to go to on any given morning.

I’ve lived on this block for over 45 years, but when I was in my twenties, I didn’t notice architecture or trees and flowers, but over the last number of years, as I get older, I am seeing things that I never noticed before.

In addition to the greening of the leaves on the trees, I am also noticing pretty flowers blooming, which I assume will drop off or turn green as spring turns to summer. But as for today, they are really pretty. :biggrin:

View attachment 60029

View attachment 60030

I love the blooms! Thanks buddy. :)

I remember reading few years ago (pre-Covid) where a brand new Home Depot opened (in Manhattan I think) and the national chain representatives along with even some of the local employees were said to be rather shocked by NYC attitudes. Such as people buying a large, bulky item that was only, say $17.99, but not possible to carry safely on the subway. So they'd purchase this item for less than $20, and then not blink an eye when they were told it would be $20+ to have it delivered to their home.

Does that kind thing happen often to people in the city who are just used to paying high delivery fees for simple things they can't or don't want to take home via the subway or a taxi?

For people without cars, how do they get their groceries home without cars or taxis if they choose not to have them delivered and their favorite grocery store is located farther way?

Thanks for responding Mikey. :)

Oops. I meant to quote Mikey's post where he answered my questions. :blush:
I think br is confused as you and other forumites have taken the Mike Y from my screen name and contracted it to Mikey. Was Ms. K the first to do that? She was my Broke Straight Boys girlfriend. Lol. It took her a while to convince me that women belonged on the forum. Now I wish we had some. Girls like LoveLumps, Beth, Grace, Deidra, Milla from France and later Bart from Brazil. Who am I forgetting, Tampa?

I think br is confused as you and other forumites have taken the Mike Y from my screen name and contracted it to Mikey. Was Ms. K the first to do that? She was my Broke Straight Boys girlfriend. Lol. It took her a while to convince me that women belonged on the forum. Now I wish we had some. Girls like LoveLumps, Beth, Grace, Deidra, Milla from France and later Bart from Brazil. Who am I forgetting, Tampa?

I think you pretty well covered it. :)

While I may have not not known how you got the term Mikey I was referring to the error Tampa made in a kindly manner. as no one makes more errors than I .

Just a few pics from today while out doing my morning chores.

6DF1AD47-92EA-4C1D-BB77-6E71F2E00685.jpg

FFAECC76-9481-486F-B3E5-8F952370380B.jpg

C75FEF6C-61B0-479C-B6F5-A2D5244D4AA9.jpg

I’m going back to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden tomorrow. Hopefully the cherry blossoms and other flowers will be out in bloom, as my last trip was somewhat disappointing.

Beautiful blooms. I use to grow flowering plants & I did have a gay green thumb. As always TY Mike for sharing.