• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

Nice, this after I left NYC for Madison Wisc, which as you know has its own gay life which I did not partake of being occupied as I was in school & parenthood.

I’ve recently showed pics of this historic church on Court Street in downtown Brooklyn. But today I noticed a building next to it with a globe on top and the word Foster.

4CC9CCC0-3138-48EB-8674-8B7B8CE8C140.jpg

B17458CA-24C1-4220-996A-7CE55A6538E3.jpg

65D1A48F-03CF-497F-9704-7040503E85ED.jpg

I googled it to try to find the history of it but only found a photograph from 1959.

67ABEABB-0671-41A6-9D9A-97BA6D6317CE.jpg

Life must have been very different in Brooklyn in 1959, and certainly in 1898. I love living history like buildings such as this one.

I do remember those types of buildings & especially those noisy and ugly above ground trams.

Yesterday, Sunday, February 27 was a cold but very sunny day and I went with a friend into Manhattan. This was an unusual sighting in Madison Square Park, across the street from the Flatiron Building, (which Stowe had to identify for me years ago when Broke Straight Boys had a pic of it up in the Denver studio), lol

9CD6338C-C200-4FB6-B8CE-1B7149F0E2A2.jpg

But the purpose of our trip was to visit a relatively new museum around the corner on Park Avenue South called, The Fotografiska Museum. From Wikipedia, “ Fotografiska New York is a branch of the Swedish photography museum Fotografiska in Gramercy Park, Manhattan, New York City. The museum's home is the Church Missions House, a six-story, 45,000-square-foot Renaissance Revival landmark. It opened in December 2019.”

Here are some of the pics I took from outside and inside the museum.

E1E0544F-A730-4B2A-BC5C-EE4E9043F4FF.jpg

D5E1A047-B85A-4D55-BA0B-9EE58072BC97.jpg

3FC6C74D-D2B4-4FEE-A6FD-58343A111F5A.jpg

A6F57B8B-4EFB-4B68-9DF6-25BCAF1666AC.jpg

C2AAC0B1-21BA-4047-9BC6-7781B8CB1027.jpg
EEB492A9-350E-4A8C-9730-262833A2E6F6.jpg

I only began really exploring and appreciating my city several years ago when I retired from full time work, but I’m glad I did and now that I have my iPhone camera I can capture many of the images. I hope to be able to continue exploring and photographing for a while while I am still able. I enjoy it very much.

And thank you Tampa for providing this thread which was the impetus for me to share some of my photography on the forum.

Last edited:
! thank Tampa, toofor the memories & new stuff.

Yesterday, Sunday, February 27 was a cold but very sunny day and I went with a friend into Manhattan. This was an unusual sighting in Madison Square Park, across the street from the Flatiron Building, (which Stowe had to identify for me years ago when Broke Straight Boys had a pic of it up in the Denver studio), lol

View attachment 49717

But the purpose of our trip was to visit a relatively new museum around the corner on Park Avenue South called, The Fotografiska Museum. From Wikipedia, “ Fotografiska New York is a branch of the Swedish photography museum Fotografiska in Gramercy Park, Manhattan, New York City. The museum's home is the Church Missions House, a six-story, 45,000-square-foot Renaissance Revival landmark. It opened in December 2019.”

Here are some of the pics I took from outside and inside the museum.

View attachment 49718

View attachment 49719

View attachment 49720

View attachment 49721

View attachment 49722
View attachment 49716

I only began really exploring and appreciating my city several years ago when I retired from full time work, but I’m glad I did and now that I have my iPhone camera I can capture many of the images. I hope to be able to continue exploring and photographing for a while while I am still able. I enjoy it very much.

And thank you Tampa for providing this thread which was the impetus for me to share some of my photography on the forum.

What a grand building the museum is all in itself! I'm so glad this thread has allowed you to both educate and show off your skills in photography. Just like little kids who don't like to read so much, but like lots of pictures...such as comic books (lol)...this thread does keep entertaining and educating at the same time. :thumbup:

What a grand building the museum is all in itself! I'm so glad this thread has allowed you to both educate and show off your skills in photography. Just like little kids who don't like to read so much, but like lots of pictures...such as comic books (lol)...this thread does keep entertaining and educating at the same time. :thumbup:
Thank you Tampa. It was your question that inspired me to post my pics as a I explore NYC. And I discovered that the pics I take horizontally are the ones that work on this forum and don’t come out sideways.

By the way I have a visit planned for Sunday to The Museum of Natural History, a place I haven’t been to in years. All NYC school kids go on trips there and my rememberence is the dinosaurs but it will be interesting to see what they’ve done with it all these years later. And speak of architecturally magnificent buildings. I will definitely get some shots of that building too right on Central Park West.

Yes, many thanks for creating this thread & Mike I remember that museum and many others I visited as a kid & young adult.

Thank you Tampa. It was your question that inspired me to post my pics as a I explore NYC. And I discovered that the pics I take horizontally are the ones that work on this forum and don’t come out sideways.

By the way I have a visit planned for Sunday to The Museum of Natural History, a place I haven’t been to in years. All NYC school kids go on trips there and my rememberence is the dinosaurs but it will be interesting to see what they’ve done with it all these years later. And speak of architecturally magnificent buildings. I will definitely get some shots of that building too right on Central Park West.

I look forward to it! :)

Well, I did say that I was going to the Museum of Natural History today and I went, but my friend, (female, but certainly not girlfriend. I don’t swing that way, lol). Anyway we had timed tickets but when she saw the line to get in around the block, she freaked out that too many people would be in the building as she is still COVID conscious, whereas I feel fully vaccinated people are safe to go inside, but we skipped the museum.

But it was a beautiful day and we walked in Central Park and then around the Upper West Side and had a nice outdoor lunch. So I did take some pics of the outside of the museum.

62E6CB7B-9E71-46DC-85AB-22D0058133D0.jpg

D970748F-7BDA-459C-8963-32790EA9151D.jpg

I also looked downtown and got a shot of the new, (ugly, in my opinion) skinny towers into the sky on West 57th Street, called, “Billionaires Row”, but I got this shot of the building coming out of the clouds as the sun was first peeking through.

8C3B5C58-C03C-473B-8ED3-7AB1035BEF8E.jpg

We went across the street into the park and found our way to Shakespeare Garden, a four-acre garden resembling an English countryside with flowers & plants from Shakespeare's works. It is still winter and the plants and flowers are not in bloom but I got a few shots of the plaques with Shakespeare’s words engraved in them.

271C9D7A-4430-434F-B168-912A3C6B7D37.jpg1E10881F-C039-407D-8F77-F844629F4BBE.jpg

After lunch we sat on a bench near Central Park West as we discussed the issues of today’s society, while I checked for cute young guys on a 66 degree March day. I did lt get any pics of especially cute guys, but it was a beautiful day to people watch.

995B7876-F4C2-40C9-9F3B-DBADB636824C.jpg

D602845C-CEFE-4202-9548-F1FA1557EA7D.jpg

4D112949-7C69-418D-9ECB-95C524ACE5E5.jpg

And finally while waiting for the Brooklyn Bound C train to take me home, I took a couple of pics of the unique subway signs and art for the Musueum of Natural History subway station.

AC901A74-36C9-4B64-A8E2-98E82F7DAB11.jpg

1DC7B354-D55B-4ED6-830A-78959B7D9664.jpg

And so as I did not lt make it into the museum today, I still had a very pleasant Sunday afternoon on an unseasonably warm late Winter afternoon.

After lunch we sat on a bench near Central Park West as we discussed the issues of today’s society, while I checked for cute young guys on a 66 degree March day. I did lt get any pics of especially cute guys, but it was a beautiful day to people watch.

View attachment 50954

View attachment 50955

View attachment 50956

And finally while waiting for the Brooklyn Bound C train to take me home, I took a couple of pics of the unique subway signs and art for the Musueum of Natural History subway station.

View attachment 50957

View attachment 50958

And so as I did not lt make it into the museum today, I still had a very pleasant Sunday afternoon on an unseasonably warm late Winter afternoon.

Just wait until the Summer temperatures arrive, and the teen aged boy skateboarders are stripped to their shorts!

Just wait until the Summer temperatures arrive, and the teen aged boy skateboarders are stripped to their shorts!
Ssh! I know but we don’t talk about that. Even in my neighborhood in Borough Hall Park and some in Brooklyn Bridge Park. Late Spring and Summer the streets can hold amazing sights. :blushing:

Ssh! I know but we don’t talk about that. Even in my neighborhood in Borough Hall Park and some in Brooklyn Bridge Park. Late Spring and Summer the streets can hold amazing sights. :blushing:

I read somewhere that a hungry young skateboarder is most appreciative when you buy him a Big Mac!

I read somewhere that a hungry young skateboarder is most appreciative when you buy him a Big Mac!
You could ask Peter of Seattle about me and skateboarders. In October 2014, Peter flew to NY from Seattle to visit me and to see NYC for the first time. We chronicled the whole visit day by day with pics on the forum.

But one day we drove upstate and met another forumite Betu in my old college town of New Paltz. We were sitting in an outdoor Starbucks and a totally hot skateboarder came riding down Route 32 and came into the Starbucks and sat right across from us. Peter reminded me last weekend on the phone that I didn’t hear a word that he or Betu said the whole time the kid was sitting there.

At the end of Peter”s visit he told me that he discovered that I really was obsessed with young straight guys, as I never failed to point one out during his week here. And now in 2022, I am eight years older but still obsessed with straight young skateboarders. No kg, I don’t buy big macs for kids I meet in everyday life. That was in Fort Lauderdale back in the 80’s in a McDonald’s in the middle of hustler cruising grounds. Lol. But just like the skateboard boy upstate NY, those are forever memories.

As do I and all the talk. I did not have such friends to enjoy the scenery either. Perhaps that is Y I am so obsessed with posting and sharing my pictures.

You could ask Peter of Seattle about me and skateboarders. In October 2014, Peter flew to NY from Seattle to visit me and to see NYC for the first time. We chronicled the whole visit day by day with pics on the forum.

But one day we drove upstate and met another forumite Betu in my old college town of New Paltz. We were sitting in an outdoor Starbucks and a totally hot skateboarder came riding down Route 32 and came into the Starbucks and sat right across from us. Peter reminded me last weekend on the phone that I didn’t hear a word that he or Betu said the whole time the kid was sitting there.

At the end of Peter”s visit he told me that he discovered that I really was obsessed with young straight guys, as I never failed to point one out during his week here. And now in 2022, I am eight years older but still obsessed with straight young skateboarders. No kg, I don’t buy big macs for kids I meet in everyday life. That was in Fort Lauderdale back in the 80’s in a McDonald’s in the middle of hustler cruising grounds. Lol. But just like the skateboard boy upstate NY, those are forever memories.

I can concur that Mikeyank didn't participate in the convo the whole time a skater boy was present.