• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

The ferry likes the way I recall, I may be ancient but my mind is still fine, that means it is no fall back to excuse my multiple mistakes!

Excellent question Tampa. Actually the subways run on four of the five boroughs. Staten Island can only be reached by ferry from lower Manhattan or the Verrazano Bridge from Brooklyn. However there is a part of the MTA, (Metropolitan Transit Authority) who run the subways and buses for New York City. It is called the Staten Island Railway line, but it is only one line that basically takes Staten Islanders to the ferry to cross into Manhattan.

View attachment 36783

Wow!

Thanks for all that info my friend. Yes. The idea of taking the subway to the ferry terminal and going back and forth from NYC to Staten Island for an afternoon, just sounds like a great little getaway. :) It even sounds like a really nice part of a potential date. A trip together to Staten Island, and dinner. Not a bad day at all. lol

Last edited:
I like your thinking, Tampa, do you have some in mind?

I like your thinking, Tampa, do you have some in mind?

In a romantic sense, sadly at the moment...no. haha But if I ever visited NYC again it's certainly something I wouldn't mind doing with Mikeyank. :)

In a romantic sense, sadly at the moment...no. haha But if I ever visited NYC again it's certainly something I wouldn't mind doing with Mikeyank. :)
You know you have an open invitation to visit me anytime and I will take you on an extensive tour of my city. Over the last few years through my walking group, I’ve seen parts of the city and learned so much more about our history than ever before. And I love sharing. I’ve taken forumites Peter, Rep and Bart on the “mikeyank reality tours” of NYC and I’d love to take you too Tampa, my friend.

There’s still a bit of color left on some of the trees here on this early December morning. :smile:

A6C099F5-FD6F-4B72-93DC-8637011CCBF3.jpg

Well that is no surprise as global warming is still a major problem.

Wow!

Thanks for all that info my friend. Yes. The idea of taking the subway to the ferry terminal and going back and forth from NYC to Staten Island for an afternoon, just sounds like a great little getaway. :) It even sounds like a really nice part of a potential date. A trip together to Staten Island, and dinner. Not a bad day at all. lol

One interesting thing that New York City and Boston share is underground subways in some parts of the city that rise above ground and become elevated trains in other parts of the city. A good example is when I take the train to Grand Central on my way to a Mets home game, get on the underground 7 line subway which stays an underground subway beneath Manhattan but the rises above ground and becomes an elevated train thereafter.

Sadly for me just very faded memories from eons ago.

One interesting thing that New York City and Boston share is underground subways in some parts of the city that rise above ground and become elevated trains in other parts of the city. A good example is when I take the train to Grand Central on my way to a Mets home game, get on the underground 7 line subway which stays an underground subway beneath Manhattan but the rises above ground and becomes an elevated train thereafter.
Same thing when I take the 4 Train to Yankee Stadium. The whole ride is underground until 149th Street when the train becomes elevated and as it approaches 161 Street the majestic view of the iconic park becomes visible. Just the thought of it makes me wish today was a sunny spring day and I was heading up to The Stadium for a matinee. :biggrin:

20E2D7E5-9B94-42A4-A368-985A3DF9B432.jpg

The history of the New York City transit system teaches us that the original trains were all elevated or an EL Train as it is called. Here is an old car on the now defunct Third Avenue El as it passes apartment building windows in Manhattan.

DD659AEE-DE11-4306-9514-BFC6943D3C76.jpg

The advent of the new underground system in the early 1900s was a game changer in the efficiency and effectiveness of the NYC subway. We still have some El lines today but the vast majority are deep below the ground and have no impact on driving or pollution as it did back in the day.

I saw a great program on the A & E series "building America" on the building of the subway systems in NYC and Boston. It's funny how far back the rivalry between the two cities goes back!!

I did not live far from an elevated track & remember the shaking that came when a train passed.

The history of the New York City transit system teaches us that the original trains were all elevated or an EL Train as it is called. Here is an old car on the now defunct Third Avenue El as it passes apartment building windows in Manhattan.

View attachment 37435

The advent of the new underground system in the early 1900s was a game changer in the efficiency and effectiveness of the NYC subway. We still have some El lines today but the vast majority are deep below the ground and have no impact on driving or pollution as it did back in the day.

I did not live far from an elevated track & remember the shaking that came when a train passed.

It's for those reasons that I don't envy those aprtment dwellers of the day who had to get used to the constant interruptions of their sleep and daily lives by the noise of essentially train lines that constantly rolled past their windows. It must have been bone-rattling at times. Many residentss must have had to shout at times to carry on conversations in their own homes. So much better when they moved just about all of the subway system underground. :)

I took these pics this morning on December 12th, with the start of the winter season ten days away, the trees are mostly bare now. As I grow older, year by year, I appreciate more than ever how marvelous “Mother Nature” is in the regular cycles of the seasons. And each season is beautiful in it’s own way.

B9A89517-AF9D-4C88-B412-E70809B2E673.jpg

76B2A65F-DF2E-4D0C-8C26-3EFE1FFA3E16.jpg

By the way, I’ve now realized that when I shoot the pics in horizontal mode as opposed to vertical, they come out right side up on this forum. Having my iPhone now for the last several months, I am discovering that sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks. Bow wow. lol

I took these pics this morning on December 12th, with the start of the winter season ten days away, the trees are mostly bare now. As I grow older, year by year, I appreciate more than ever how marvelous “Mother Nature” is in the regular cycles of the seasons. And each season is beautiful in it’s own way.

View attachment 38189

View attachment 38190

By the way, I’ve now realized that when I shoot the pics in horizontal mode as opposed to vertical, they come out right side up on this forum. Having my iPhone now for the last several months, I am discovering that sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks. Bow wow. lol

Yes as a man of too many generations & realized as I aged I became dumber. I too try to imbibe in the tree of knowledge & some times by osmosis it seems to work!

By the way great, if cold looking , pictures.