• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

And of course St. Patricks Cathedral, The Plaza Hotel and a few other decorated buildings.

ACA6EBE7-7701-4561-8488-85B5B0E81F59.jpeg
BD46ED60-88AB-40F8-A6BE-C71F44A4A14A.jpeg
637DD321-2311-4F6E-8CA8-E2590AEA1817.jpeg
EA812AC5-5A20-4859-8528-EF956E1D8063.jpeg
88324E36-AD65-4194-A66F-9BEEEB1FDE86.jpeg

And of course the pièce de résistance of Fifth Avenue at Christmas time, the Tree and the light show across the street on the side of Sax Fifth Avenue. It never fails to deliver.

24E7D533-6EF8-45B3-9AFC-4EBC1D7226CF.jpeg
79261783-945C-4017-B5F1-35FA9D64B57D.jpeg
B37A11CE-B043-49A0-ABA2-2FD8F2543B69.jpeg

8667D69F-786E-49FD-8360-34ACC346E139.jpeg

Today is December 17th, 2022, still technically autumn with winter beginning this coming Wednesday. All the leaves have now fallen as we await our first snowfall of the season. However if I am going to keep an online visual of my neighborhood in all four seasons, I thought it was time for a quick update. If and when we get some snow, I shall update again!

6556AC82-F055-43A3-939C-104732894C2B.jpeg
8B5B771B-F2FD-4073-8B44-EBE8775763FB.jpeg
7A312634-FB9D-4557-9666-FD72993968EB.jpeg

I repeat the calender season have little to do do with weather or climate, this should be obvious from year-to-year.

I repeat the calender season have little to do do with weather or climate, this should be obvious from year-to-year.
I disagree. I understand how climate change has affected our weather, yet with less consistency we still have four distinct seasons in the northeast. Sometimes it happens suddenly, and other times gradually, but I still or perhaps more than ever as I am now in my senior years. I love experiencing the beauty of spring, the beautiful summer days, the colors of autumn and even the beauty of freshly covered streets with a blanket of pristine white snow. And I also love chronicling it and posting my pics here and elsewhere. 😀

I disagree. I understand how climate change has affected our weather, yet with less consistency we still have four distinct seasons in the northeast. Sometimes it happens suddenly, and other times gradually, but I still or perhaps more than ever as I am now in my senior years. I love experiencing the beauty of spring, the beautiful summer days, the colors of autumn and even the beauty of freshly covered streets with a blanket of pristine white snow. And I also love chronicling it and posting my pics here and elsewhere. 😀
You should mark seasonal changes in the vegetation. In the city it is harder to notice in animals but it is still possible.

And of course the pièce de résistance of Fifth Avenue at Christmas time, the Tree and the light show across the street on the side of Sax Fifth Avenue. It never fails to deliver.

View attachment 108165View attachment 108166View attachment 108168

View attachment 108163
My young nephew proposed marriage to his now wife in Rockefeller Center just before Christmas in front of that decorated tree (well a different tree but basically same decorations)! Very beautiful.

This is so cool! I need to visit here next time I am on the upper East Side.

https://secretnyc.co/old-school-luncheonette-lexington-candy-shop/

NYC’s Nearly Century-Old Lexington Candy Shop Still Makes Coca-Cola The Old Fashioned Way​

The third-generation luncheonette has been serving hand-mixed Coca-Cola for nearly 100 years on Manhattan's Upper East Side.

Claire Leaden CLAIRE LEADEN - EDITOR • DECEMBER 6, 2022

There was once a day when luncheonettes and soda fountains lined NYC streets as much as today’s artisanal coffee shops, but now there are only a handful left.

One of the most authentic ones is the Lexington Candy Shop on the Upper East Side. It originally opened in 1925 and has been continuously owned and operated through three generations of family and partners.

Luncheonettes and soda fountains were at the height of popularity in the post-war U.S., and was even the time when Americans were eating more ice cream than ever before, particularly in New York City, according to Atlas Obscura.

A collection of vintage glass Coke bottles in the window and a sign advertising the telephone inside will transport you right back to old New York! You’ll feel like you’ve traveled back in time to the ’30s or ’40s at the Lexington Candy Shop, as you spin around on a stool sitting at the formica counter and watch them make your milkshake in their 1940 Hamilton Beach shake mixer. Or, as you scoot into a vinyl booth and read the old felt board menu off the wall—yes, there really was a time when a sundae was $0.20 and a Coke was $0.10.

And they still serve that classic American fare: milkshakes, lemonade, egg creams, club sandwiches and tuna melts. Oh, and of course, breakfast. Head there for omelettes of all kinds, your choice of toast, pancakes, and a hot cup of joe, available all day long.

But the most notable thing to order off their menu is definitely a Coca-Cola made the old fashioned way. Lexington Candy Shop is one of the few remaining establishments that still mixes Coca-Cola syrup and seltzer water that’s then topped with a scoop of delicious ice cream.

69B9F5B2-97CB-4F8C-AEDB-F985D26BEC91.jpeg

This is so cool! I need to visit here next time I am on the upper East Side.

https://secretnyc.co/old-school-luncheonette-lexington-candy-shop/

NYC’s Nearly Century-Old Lexington Candy Shop Still Makes Coca-Cola The Old Fashioned Way​

The third-generation luncheonette has been serving hand-mixed Coca-Cola for nearly 100 years on Manhattan's Upper East Side.

Claire Leaden CLAIRE LEADEN - EDITOR • DECEMBER 6, 2022

There was once a day when luncheonettes and soda fountains lined NYC streets as much as today’s artisanal coffee shops, but now there are only a handful left.

One of the most authentic ones is the Lexington Candy Shop on the Upper East Side. It originally opened in 1925 and has been continuously owned and operated through three generations of family and partners.

Luncheonettes and soda fountains were at the height of popularity in the post-war U.S., and was even the time when Americans were eating more ice cream than ever before, particularly in New York City, according to Atlas Obscura.

A collection of vintage glass Coke bottles in the window and a sign advertising the telephone inside will transport you right back to old New York! You’ll feel like you’ve traveled back in time to the ’30s or ’40s at the Lexington Candy Shop, as you spin around on a stool sitting at the formica counter and watch them make your milkshake in their 1940 Hamilton Beach shake mixer. Or, as you scoot into a vinyl booth and read the old felt board menu off the wall—yes, there really was a time when a sundae was $0.20 and a Coke was $0.10.

And they still serve that classic American fare: milkshakes, lemonade, egg creams, club sandwiches and tuna melts. Oh, and of course, breakfast. Head there for omelettes of all kinds, your choice of toast, pancakes, and a hot cup of joe, available all day long.

But the most notable thing to order off their menu is definitely a Coca-Cola made the old fashioned way. Lexington Candy Shop is one of the few remaining establishments that still mixes Coca-Cola syrup and seltzer water that’s then topped with a scoop of delicious ice cream.

View attachment 110721

Today by sheer coincidence, I went to The Metropolitan Museum of Art on Fifth Avenue & East 82nd Street, and had totally forgotten about my post regarding this Candy Store that makes Coca Cola the way it was done when I was a kid, by mixing the coke syrup into the seltzer. On the way back to the subway at Lexington & East 86th St., I decided to walk straight up East 82nd Street just to see some different houses and stores than I normally do walking on East 86th.

As I approached Lexington Avenue, I saw a line of people waiting for something. And I saw it was the Candy Store from the article that I posted. I had no clue I was heading there. The line was too long fo me to stop in and order a fountain coke, but I did take a pic this afternoon. It is a popular spot! :001_smile:

F1AF5D72-5B52-4275-991C-BD1404EDF7A0.jpeg

At The Met today, one of the big exhibits was The Tudors. Today is an unusually warm, mid 50’s degree day at the end of December. Last week on Christmas Eve it was 8 degrees. Lots of people were out both around the Met & inside.

51D1928A-42E6-4AC5-AB84-F0762897010D.jpeg

6A145267-265E-4465-AC5B-7B887F624F62.jpeg
A3078640-8444-48BB-B760-4C4D90558A4F.jpeg
E347CA5C-9AFD-4E27-B64E-B2143950ECB4.jpeg
AF2CFCA3-F4F7-41A2-9C66-98800DBAC44A.jpeg
46A912A1-ECC2-497E-BC79-CFA4A9709B4F.jpeg

Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures, Mike.

Amazing! I've been wanting to get down to NYC but I've had some health issues I've had to tend to, I'm hoping to start traveling again in a few months.

Today by sheer coincidence, I went to The Metropolitan Museum of Art on Fifth Avenue & East 82nd Street, and had totally forgotten about my post regarding this Candy Store that makes Coca Cola the way it was done when I was a kid, by mixing the coke syrup into the seltzer. On the way back to the subway at Lexington & East 86th St., I decided to walk straight up East 82nd Street just to see some different houses and stores than I normally do walking on East 86th.

As I approached Lexington Avenue, I saw a line of people waiting for something. And I saw it was the Candy Store from the article that I posted. I had no clue I was heading there. The line was too long fo me to stop in and order a fountain coke, but I did take a pic this afternoon. It is a popular spot! :001_smile:

View attachment 111277
That place does sound really cool! :)

Amazing! I've been wanting to get down to NYC but I've had some health issues I've had to tend to, I'm hoping to start traveling again in a few months.

And when you do, PLEASE get in touch with me as I’d love to meet you and show you around some. You can ask Peterh, (still on the forum), and Bart and Rep who are no longer forumites but I am a pretty good tour guide, if I say so myself. lol, 😊