• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Vacation Memories!!

BlakeBennet

BSB Model
BSB Model
Reaction score
Now this thread is another trip down memory lane.

I really enjoyed reading all of yalls posts about your jobs, it really was kinda like reading an autobiography from each one of you. It was actually really cool.

SO! I wanna know where you have been! Just for Fun!
1. Where and When was it?

2. Planed/Spontaneous? How/why?

3. Friends/Family/Group/Alone?

4. Good/Bad Why?

5. Fly/Drive?

6. Best Experience on the trip? Worst?

7. Make friends/enemies? Who'd you meet?

You can tell as many as you can! Dont be short, the whole point of the forum is to READ! lol so i want to know everything...

Once again, my goal is to have yall think of (good)things that you may not have thought of for years, and give you a chance to tell your stories one more time! :angel:

Me personally, I am a huge travel buff, I do not care how broke I am, I will go on a trip. (sorry if you are a literature teacher, forgive all the "I(s)")

So many trips worth speaking of.. No idea where to begin..

Europe!

Some of you may have read when i was talking about how i sang in Saltsburge, Austria at the Dom. I guess this is the story elaborated.

It is my senior year in highschool 09', and my varsity choir goes on a trip every year with each year getting progressively more elaborate. Senior year rolls round and we are going to Europe, Germany and Austria! Very much excited about this opportunity. But the price to go is 3,500 bucks!! Holy Hell no! so my dream of going was kinda crushed a bit.

My best friend at the time had told their grandmother about the issue that i have with money and i come to school the next day to hear my name called for the meeting we are having to get ready to go to Europe. I go to my teacher and i said, i didnt pay to go, he looked at me and said, "I know, someone else did it for you." My friend had walked up behind me and like a movie says "Surprise" kinda quiet like. Tears came to my eyes, i thought everyone was messing with me. i was going to Europe.

Oh man.. To talk about everything that happened in that two weeks.. I just cant.. from going to the Castles of Germany and Austria, to the salt and crystal mines deep under ground, the old prisons, and small quiet mountain towns, from hotels to houses, Neuschwanstein to deep underground catacomb cathedrals made of bones.

I just cant do it all in one post.. Not to mention other trips like Cruises, Yellowstone, Tetons, New Mexico, Mexico, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Florida.

Part 1

I believe by the time you finish this story, you will understand why it is memorable.

A few years ago, I was on the receiving end of a class action lawsuit and my payout was significant. I decided to treat two of my friends to a 12 day Cruise from Barcelona to Venice. One, Nick, lives in Minneapolis and the other, Noah, lives in Detroit. Neither one knew the other was going. It would be a surprise for them when we finally all met. As I arranged the cruise, air, etc. they had no idea what was happening. We would meet in Philadelphia for the final flight to Barcelona. So with this background information, here it goes.

On day one I would leave first for Philly, out of California, Nick leaves second and Noah last. Now Noah arrives first in Philly, followed by Nick, then myself. I told Nick to wait for me as I would be arriving shortly after him and we would walk to the international flight. There I would have my surprise reunion.

At 6:30 am my flight prepared to leave pulled away from the gate, stopped, then returned to the gate. We had a problem that needed to be addressed. Well, I only had an hour layover in Phoenix to connect to my Philly flight. I feel like I am screwed already. We finally take off 50 minutes late. I arrive in Phoenix, and found out I was at one end of the 4 terminals and had to race to the opposite side (surprise, right). My flight was still at the gate. After running about a mile I get to my gate and see the door closed. (SHIT,!) I explained my situation only to find out the plan has not been boarded yet. They are waiting for the flight crew to arrive. (This is both good and bad). I have only about a 2 hour layover in Philly for my final flight. I call both Noah and Nick and let them know my situation. See, the bad news is, I have all the documents to get on the ship.

My flight finally leaves and all I can do is hope they make up time. I arrived In Philly and immediately call both of them. But I get only their phone mail. I notice that our last flight has been delayed two hours, so I have a sense of relief. I check the monitors and see that Nick's flight is late and that Noah's flight is way late and would not be in time for the original flight. I call him and leave a message to reassure him when he lands and then call his home to let them know things will be ok.

Nick finally arrives. As he check the gate, he realizes he is missing his passport. He remember someone bumping into him after he got off the plane. Mind you he had to get an new one and after three months had not received it and it was a few days before we were to leave. He had to contact his local congressman who got the passport expiated to him, which arrived the day before. He went back to the original gate to see if he could find it, but came back empty handed. Meanwhile, our flight was delayed again.

At our gate, Nick is paged. When he goes to the counter, he finds out they found his passport and he heads off to get it. Now what are the odds of someone finding his passport. While he is getting his passport, Noah's plan lands. Nick finally arrives back with passport and a few minutes later Noah shows up and you should have seen the reaction. It was great!

Now our flight is delayed, it is over 4 hours, and we discover there are a lot of passengers going on either our cruise or another one. At around 10pm (flight was due to leave 5:30pm) they offer us all food vouchers, but most of the food places were closed. The airline then brought out tons of water and snacks, pillows and blankets.

I had arranged for a limo to pick us up at the airport, give us a tour of Barcelona and then drop us off at the cruise terminal (we were on the Celebrity Millennium). We were due to arrive in Barcelona around 7 am. Around midnight if the flight did not take off, the flight crew would have to change. It did not and they did leave. Now based on my figuring, if we don't leave by 4 am we will miss the cruise. At 1 am they canceled the flight and all hell broke out as they tried to rebook us on other flights. Suddenly around 3:30 am the flight is reinstated and they are getting a new flight crew. At around 6:00 am we begin to board the plane which leaves at 7 am. By my estimation , the ship would have sailed about 2 hours earlier. Throughout this time, I was trying to do whatever I could to get a new flight. Noah and Nick tried to get some shut-eye. Needless to say, the flight to Barcelona was not fun and very exhausting and with many questions marks.

As we approached Barcelona, in the twilight, we could see a number of ships in the Mediterranean including a Celebrity ship. SHIT!!!!!!!!! As we made the final approach to our landing the captain makes the following announcement:

"Ladies and gentlemen. due to the large number of passengers on this flight for the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruises, those ships are staying in port until 9pm for you". Well you should have heard the sigh of relief.

WE landed and park on the tarmac where we are met by buses to take us to the terminal. We go straight to customs and once done to baggage claim. At baggage claim are representatives from Celebrity with a bus to take us directly to the ship. On the bus, they actually check us in and give us our room keys. Dusk is ending and we can barely see any sights. We arrive at the ship around 9:30 pm. Our travel agent is on board and has some liquid refreshment for us. 5 minutes after the last of us boarded the ship, we were moving.

This is the end of Part 1.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Some of you may have read when i was talking about how i sang in Saltsburge, Austria at the Dom. I guess this is the story elaborated.

It is my senior year in highschool 09', and my varsity choir goes on a trip every year with each year getting progressively more elaborate. Senior year rolls round and we are going to Europe, Germany and Austria! Very much excited about this opportunity. But the price to go is 3,500 bucks!! Holy Hell no! so my dream of going was kinda crushed a bit.

My best friend at the time had told their grandmother about the issue that i have with money and i come to school the next day to hear my name called for the meeting we are having to get ready to go to Europe. I go to my teacher and i said, i didnt pay to go, he looked at me and said, "I know, someone else did it for you." My friend had walked up behind me and like a movie says "Surprise" kinda quiet like. Tears came to my eyes, i thought everyone was messing with me. i was going to Europe.

Oh man.. To talk about everything that happened in that two weeks.. I just cant.. from going to the Castles of Germany and Austria, to the salt and crystal mines deep under ground, the old prisons, and small quiet mountain towns, from hotels to houses, Neuschwanstein to deep underground catacomb cathedrals made of bones.

I teared up a little bit just hearing your story Blake. That was awesome! I wish I could have been a fly on the wall and watched your reaction when you received the news. I'm so happy that were given that gift of the trip to Europe. If anybody was deserving of it and would not take the experience for granted..it was you. Whoever gave you that opportunity will receive many blessings for it I'm sure.

I was 22 y/o myself when I got to see the Black Forest, Neuschwanstein Castle and a few other of King Ludwig's castles. The mountain ranges, the people, the culture, the language, the architecture, the food...it all seemed like a fairy-tale dream. I'm so, so pleased that you, of all people, got to experience that Blake. (Me doing the happy dance.) haha :cheerleader3:

there was my trip to europe.
then there was the time a hitchhiked acoss america
then there was the eclipse watching trip to baja california sur.
getting sleepy, must rest.

Turkey. Never thought about going there but because of a good friend who needed someone to go with, I decided what the heck I'll give it a try. The plane ride was tedious and if it wasn't for the people I met on the planes and the wonderful conversations, I would have seriously considered just stopping at Spain instead of going all the way to Turkey - friend or no friend. When we got to Istanbul, I had my first culture shock in the bathroom. Where I thought a toilet should have been, instead there was only a hole in the floor with a little spigot of water on the side with two foot impressions on each side of the hole. OK, I said to myself, when in Rome do as the Romans do; well in this case, when in Turkey, learn to adjust. Right hand is for eating, left hand is for....nevermind.

We did the tourist thing and took a trip down to southern Turkey to the city of Adana. We wanted to make our way to the city of Ephesus and take in some of the ruins. The food was delicious but my stomach did not find it delectable. I had to take a lot of medicine for diarrhea. I suppose I wasn't used to all the natural ingredients the Turks use in their food.

The Turks were really friendly and we made some very good friends especially the younger college kids. They went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and they just couldn't do enough for us. On our last night, I took all of them - four of them - out to dinner and we drank their national drink, Rockie, a sweet liquer of anise all night. The following morning, we were sick and took turns running to the bathroom. How we made it to the bus, I really don't know. Our friends sent us off with mementoes and hugs and a terrfic hangover. So much for the Rockie experience Turkish style.

When I got home, I rushed to the nearest McDonald's and slowly munched down a double cheeseburger with fries. I started to feel better and my normal self again.

Part 2

Now that we are on the ship, let the fun begin. RIGHT!

On our first day out to see (heading to France) in the middle of the day the ship had a power failure. While it did not impact the engines, it did black out most other areas. I was playing bingo (I am usually successful here) when the power did not come on, they went to the children's room and got out the manual bingo equipment to call numbers. But the power came back on about 30 minutes later.

First port in France was the city of Villefrance. Here we anchor off shore and tender to the main land. After visiting Monte Carlo as our tender boat approached the ship we were waved away twice for reasons unknown. At dinner time the ship did not leave as scheduled. They were telling us that it was due to some unaccounted for individuals. During dinner, we had another power failure and the dining room went dark. We ate by the light of the city shining through the windows. It seemed like finally the ship was moving. But there was a tremendous vibration as we started to go. It stopped. An hour or so later we started moving but with a minor vibration/jerking motion.

Now for the good (or bad) part. What happened is the ship had a power failure around the time our tender ship was approaching. This power failure also disabled the ship to the point they had no control over it. A ship at anchor, drops one anchor to hold its position. The ship will move with the tides and currents by pivoting around the anchor. Because of this the ship was uncontrollably drifting around its anchor. Without this control the ship slammed into a large rocky outcrop. My travel agent and her husband were also in an aft cabin and were on the ship at the time. From the balcony they saw it coming and her husband said were are going to hit, and yelled at his wife, grab the valuables.

The ship is driven by two azipod engines. Think of them as two giant outboard motors that can turn 360 degrees. The collision knocked one of them out of commission. The second one had damaged propellers. When the ship left, we had only half speed at best with a slight jerking motion. We had to skip Florence, Italy and head to the port City of Rome for repairs.

In Rome, while they worked to fix the engines, they provide us free shore excursions. They kept giving us new travel dates and a reduced trip. One trip Noah and I went did was a do it yourself trip to Florence. We went by train. By luck, his girl friend who was touring Europe was now in Florence. We spent the night in Florence. On the way back to the ship, it was due to leave this evening, the training we were taking back, stopped dead in the middle of a tunnel. They announced they were having mechanical problems. Our concern is we have to get back or miss the ship. We were delayed 45 minutes. When we finally got going and arrived at the port, we had to race to get to the ship as it was close to sailing time. We got to the ship only to find out it was still not going anywhere. They flew in divers who worked in shift round the clock to fix the engines. We could see the new propeller blades on the dock. Having the aft facing cabin, we could see the work going on. One day we saw a damaged propeller. Just imagine a 12 foot tall propeller blade that had a hugh bite taken out of it by a killer whale. After 7 days they were unable to remove and replace all the blades and they CANCELED the cruise.

The cruise line had two charter planes to fly anyone wanting to back to NY. Since we were to end up in Venice, they also would provide buss or train service to Venice (a very long drive). Since we had planned two days in Venice, I was able to call out Hotel and much to my surprise they had a room for one more day. We did not want to bus or train the trip. We book our own air from Rome to Venice.

Now what did we get out of this? There was almost a small insurrection on the ship about compensation and lack of communication. Nick was trying to be a peace maker and negotiator. The final outcome was we got a 100% refund and a free cruise for the same amount paid (in this case around $7500). I forwarded them bills for miscellaneous expenses including the airfares. We did get some back, including all the airfare back.

It cost Celebrity & its parent company over $30 million for this accident.

A Year later we took a shorter (10 vs.12) day cruise and instead of the same level category we went up to a suite level. Had we stayed at the same level we would have given up around $2000, the difference in price. So for $600 more, we got a suite. What would you do?

So there you have it. I think this makes for a memorable vacation.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Vicekid,

WEll it sounds you kept a level head. Not sure how I would have reacted, either very patiently, as I can do sometimes, or, i'd haVe been bitching the entire time. Most notably, the lack of communication would have bothered me the most. Sounds like it was a very memorable vacation.

Turkey. Never thought about going there but because of a good friend who needed someone to go with, I decided what the heck I'll give it a try. The plane ride was tedious and if it wasn't for the people I met on the planes and the wonderful conversations, I would have seriously considered just stopping at Spain instead of going all the way to Turkey - friend or no friend. When we got to Istanbul, I had my first culture shock in the bathroom. Where I thought a toilet should have been, instead there was only a hole in the floor with a little spigot of water on the side with two foot impressions on each side of the hole. OK, I said to myself, when in Rome do as the Romans do; well in this case, when in Turkey, learn to adjust. Right hand is for eating, left hand is for....nevermind.

We did the tourist thing and took a trip down to southern Turkey to the city of Adana. We wanted to make our way to the city of Ephesus and take in some of the ruins. The food was delicious but my stomach did not find it delectable. I had to take a lot of medicine for diarrhea. I suppose I wasn't used to all the natural ingredients the Turks use in their food.

The Turks were really friendly and we made some very good friends especially the younger college kids. They went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and they just couldn't do enough for us. On our last night, I took all of them - four of them - out to dinner and we drank their national drink, Rockie, a sweet liquer of anise all night. The following morning, we were sick and took turns running to the bathroom. How we made it to the bus, I really don't know. Our friends sent us off with mementoes and hugs and a terrific hangover. So much for the Rockie experience Turkish style.

When I got home, I rushed to the nearest McDonald's and slowly munched down a double cheeseburger with fries. I started to feel better and my normal self again.

LOL That was great Angelone! Thank you!

And as far as the toilets...in the 80's at least I had to use them in France also. Yuck! They were not and are not exclusive to Turkey.

Vicekid!

Thanks so much for sharing that story with everyone. You told it to me in Orlando but I really enjoyed hearing it again. That's one of those stories that when you are in the middle of it, you are pissed off and stressed out. Then as time goes on the whole thing is seen as a comedy of errors that you can actually laugh about. lol

Great story!

Vicekid!

Thanks so much for sharing that story with everyone. You told it to me in Orlando but I really enjoyed hearing it again. That's one of those stories that when you are in the middle of it, you are pissed off and stressed out. Then as time goes on the whole thing is seen as a comedy of errors that you can actually laugh about. lol

Great story!

Thanks Tampa,

You are correct about the piss off and then comedy of errors. I saw many individuals going crazy about all of this and were so pissed off they were talking lawsuits, etc. The yelling and screaming were shocking. As angry and disappointed I was, I saw no reason to lose my head. There was absolutely nothing on the face of the earth I could do to change what has happened. So all I could do was go with the flow. As my dad says, "SHIT HAPPENS".

This is not the first time I have had a cruise canceled. Some years earlier I was booked to take a cruise on the Norway out of Miami. The Coast Guard did an inspection, the ship did not pass and the Cruise line could not get the parts in to make the repairs quick enough so they canceled this cruise.

Then there was the time when I was taking a cruise out of Savona, Italy. It was on the Costa Classica. Everything went smooth and we were headed to our first port of call Rome. Early that evening I had still not received my one large suitcase. I finally went guest services and found out others also had not received their luggage. They gave me an emergency kit which included basic toiletries and an oversize t-shirt. And free express cleaning of the clothes I was wearing. Fortunately for me, I always pack at least one change of clothes in my carry.

As to what happened to my luggage, in Savona the luggage is loaded into large crates that are tagged by ship name and then loaded onto the ship. From there the crew distributes it to the cabins they belong too. Somehow, one crate for the Costa Classic was loaded unto the Costa Victoria. So while I am heading south to Rome, my luggage was heading to France. So while we were in Rome, the Victoria was in Marseille, France. They had to fly our luggage to Rome and get it to the ship before it left Rome. It did arrive, shortly before we left. The Ship NEVER told us what happened. Only our Travel agent, who did the grunt work on our behalf found out the truth.

Need more stories?

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Afterall, who gives a crap how you crap so long as you can crap!

LOL That was great Angelone! Thank you!

And as far as the toilets...in the 80's at least I had to use them in France also. Yuck! They were not and are not exclusive to Turkey.

Dear Tampa,

I just gotta get this out of my system in the worst way!:blush:

Those porcelain wonders you speak of with the two places to put your feet during the daily festivities they evoke, these were commonplace in older homes in France and Germany as well as other nationalities. I lived in both Germany and France in 1965-66 for some 6-months+ but, rather than leaving a false impression with our readers, in newer construction whether residential or business, their bathroom facilities were every bit as modern than here in the US. Europeans for the most part live every bit as comfortably as we do, if not more. The current standard of living in both France and Germany is higher than it is in the US for many years now, ever since we began shipping perfectly good jobs abroad hurting our own economy. Italy isn't far behind France and Germany, either. These are countries I have personally visited.

I imagine that in remote rural areas in the US, one can occasionally run across an old-fashioned "out house", if one looks hard enough. Word to the wise, JUST DON'T FALL IN! Now that newspaper subscriptions are at an all-time low, I just can't imagine what they use in place of the old-reliable standby "Sears & Roebuck Catalog". Without the S & R Catalog providing a comprehensive educational community-service for those horny boys, I cannot call to mind what those poor disadvanted pre-pubescent and later boys would use for sex education to stimulate their hungry imaginations today (other than having an internet equipped "out house" running on moonshine liquor-fired generators. I imagine only slim pickings without the internet drop (not to be confused with the deceased legendary actor "Slim Pickens" who still can't tell his ass from a USB port")! So much for clean living!

Hopefully, we can all avoid "getting our bowels in an uproar":blushing: over this!

Sincerely moved, at times almost to tears even:001_tt2:,

Stimpy

LONG TIME no see, good to have you back/active again, vice! (Only a few wks and I am So Cal bound!)

I believe by the time you finish this story, you will understand why it is memorable.

A few years ago, I was on the receiving end of a class action lawsuit and my payout was significant. I decided to treat two of my friends to a 12 day Cruise from Barcelona to Venice. One, Nick, lives in Minneapolis and the other, Noah, lives in Detroit. Neither one knew the other was going. It would be a surprise for them when we finally all met. As I arranged the cruise, air, etc. they had no idea what was happening. We would meet in Philadelphia for the final flight to Barcelona. So with this background information, here it goes.

On day one I would leave first for Philly, out of California, Nick leaves second and Noah last. Now Noah arrives first in Philly, followed by Nick, then myself. I told Nick to wait for me as I would be arriving shortly after him and we would walk to the international flight. There I would have my surprise reunion.

At 6:30 am my flight prepared to leave pulled away from the gate, stopped, then returned to the gate. We had a problem that needed to be addressed. Well, I only had an hour layover in Phoenix to connect to my Philly flight. I feel like I am screwed already. We finally take off 50 minutes late. I arrive in Phoenix, and found out I was at one end of the 4 terminals and had to race to the opposite side (surprise, right). My flight was still at the gate. After running about a mile I get to my gate and see the door closed. (SHIT,!) I explained my situation only to find out the plan has not been boarded yet. They are waiting for the flight crew to arrive. (This is both good and bad). I have only about a 2 hour layover in Philly for my final flight. I call both Noah and Nick and let them know my situation. See, the bad news is, I have all the documents to get on the ship.

My flight finally leaves and all I can do is hope they make up time. I arrived In Philly and immediately call both of them. But I get only their phone mail. I notice that our last flight has been delayed two hours, so I have a sense of relief. I check the monitors and see that Nick's flight is late and that Noah's flight is way late and would not be in time for the original flight. I call him and leave a message to reassure him when he lands and then call his home to let them know things will be ok.

Nick finally arrives. As he check the gate, he realizes he is missing his passport. He remember someone bumping into him after he got off the plane. Mind you he had to get an new one and after three months had not received it and it was a few days before we were to leave. He had to contact his local congressman who got the passport expiated to him, which arrived the day before. He went back to the original gate to see if he could find it, but came back empty handed. Meanwhile, our flight was delayed again.

At our gate, Nick is paged. When he goes to the counter, he finds out they found his passport and he heads off to get it. Now what are the odds of someone finding his passport. While he is getting his passport, Noah's plan lands. Nick finally arrives back with passport and a few minutes later Noah shows up and you should have seen the reaction. It was great!

Now our flight is delayed, it is over 4 hours, and we discover there are a lot of passengers going on either our cruise or another one. At around 10pm (flight was due to leave 5:30pm) they offer us all food vouchers, but most of the food places were closed. The airline then brought out tons of water and snacks, pillows and blankets.

I had arranged for a limo to pick us up at the airport, give us a tour of Barcelona and then drop us off at the cruise terminal (we were on the Celebrity Millennium). We were due to arrive in Barcelona around 7 am. Around midnight if the flight did not take off, the flight crew would have to change. It did not and they did leave. Now based on my figuring, if we don't leave by 4 am we will miss the cruise. At 1 am they canceled the flight and all hell broke out as they tried to rebook us on other flights. Suddenly around 3:30 am the flight is reinstated and they are getting a new flight crew. At around 6:00 am we begin to board the plane which leaves at 7 am. By my estimation , the ship would have sailed about 2 hours earlier. Throughout this time, I was trying to do whatever I could to get a new flight. Noah and Nick tried to get some shut-eye. Needless to say, the flight to Barcelona was not fun and very exhausting and with many questions marks.

As we approached Barcelona, in the twilight, we could see a number of ships in the Mediterranean including a Celebrity ship. SHIT!!!!!!!!! As we made the final approach to our landing the captain makes the following announcement:

"Ladies and gentlemen. due to the large number of passengers on this flight for the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruises, those ships are staying in port until 9pm for you". Well you should have heard the sigh of relief.

WE landed and park on the tarmac where we are met by buses to take us to the terminal. We go straight to customs and once done to baggage claim. At baggage claim are representatives from Celebrity with a bus to take us directly to the ship. On the bus, they actually check us in and give us our room keys. Dusk is ending and we can barely see any sights. We arrive at the ship around 9:30 pm. Our travel agent is on board and has some liquid refreshment for us. 5 minutes after the last of us boarded the ship, we were moving.

This is the end of Part 1.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Yes! Please sir... May I have another? LOL

Here are a couple cruise stories that are not tragic.

The first story is based on an Alaskan Cruise. This is the only Alaska cruise I have taken and I went with my parents. Instead of using the ships shore excursions, I found other excursions and book them. In one port I book a flight seeing tour of the Misty Fijords. For this adventure we take off on a float plane (a first for us). It is weird to be in a plane and taking off in water. As we were flying we had great weather. We more or less got to choose where to land (in water) for a picnic lunch. Where we landed was a lake surrounded by mountains and waterfalls. The lake had a mirror surface, un-blemished until we touched down. We pulled up just a few feet away from a nice waterfall for lunch.

In Juneau I booked a helicopter flight seeing tour over Mendenhall Glacier where we landed. here we were given poles and shoes to "Hike" on the Glacier for over an hour with a guide. They provided us with jackets, equipment, etc. We dress for cool weather, but the day broke through sunny and warm. In fact it was a heat wave with temperatures in the mid-70's. The sky was a blue as blue can be with no signs of clouds. We drank glacial water which was incredible. We were sweating in our outfits even on the glacier. But it was a blast.

The last part of this trip we were in Alaska McKinley National Park. I chose to do a flight seeing tour around the 19,000 foot mountain. As it was I got to sit in the co-pilot seat. And I had a duty to perform. Above 12,000 feet we need to go on oxygen and breath using masks. After we come down from around 15,000+ I have the controls to take us off oxygen. I passed!
As we circled around the mountain, you could see the hiking trails climber use to scale the summit. I saw several on the way up and took photos, and sure enough there must have been around a dozen who made it to the top and I got photos of them on top What an incredible sight.

My second story was on the Ship Stella Solaris, owned by the now defunct Greek Cruise Line Royal Olympic. This is the smallest ship I ever sailed on as well as my first ship I sailed on. It carried around 600 passengers. On this cruise what was memorable, was I was asked by the Magician to participate in part of the show.

I was given an over sized tuxedo type jacket to wear. His assistant (actually wife), asked me one question, do I smoke. I replied no (this was something this performance would do, but did not). The only other thing I was told to do was not move, stand still.

Once outfitted, the magician went directly behind me (the audience would not see him). He then put his hands through on either side of me and he then began performing. My hands were inside the jacket. He did a card trick, brought a cup of water to my lips for me to drink, pulled a bra out of my jacket, etc. All the time, his hands working and me standing still. Not knowing what to do, I just would move my head and glance around and react with facial (Keep it clean guys) reactions to what was happening around me. This went on for about 15 minutes.

When he finished there was a Hugh ovation. I got a nice gift for being a volunteer. The cruise director came over to me to say how great the performance. For the next 5 days on the ship passengers would keep coming up to me to say how much they like the show. all of them asked me how long did I rehearse for this. To each and everyone one I gave the same answer. NONE! I was pulled and asked one question (smoking) and told one instruction (don't move). I got to meet most of the passengers and became a mini-celebrity. The only one not to see the performance, was ME!

Boo Hiss!

Is this OK Tampa, or do you want more?

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

My Spring Break Vacation - Part 1

In college I had a close friend, Jim-a senior, that was planning to do something out of the ordinary for Spring Break. Instead of setting out for Fort Lauderdale, FL as our destination, he wanted to have us drive through Mexico on our way to Acapulco and possibly visit some of the Mayan ruins in the surrounding area along the way. I had just completed some archaeology coursework including studying the Mayan Indians and that appealed to me greatly. Jim had two other guys that were seniors as well wanting to come along for the trip as their last chance to do something so carefree. At the time, I was just starting Graduate School and, outside of owning my car, I was flat broke more so at this time than at any other time while in college. While the other guys had cars, mine was in better shape, was the only one that was air conditioned, and it was definitely not a “gas hog” as their cars were.

I offered the use of my car as my contribution to the trip and they agreed to pay for all gas, insurance, and food & lodging expenses in return. Gas was very cheap then, under 40 cents per gallon and food and room accommodations were similarly inexpensive. The trip of 1800 miles each way was meant to be accomplished by rotating all four drivers, driving straight through for two days each way. We had a total of nine days to accomplish our trip. We loaded up the car and headed out the last weekend in March only to be greeted by 3- to 4-inches of freshly fallen, powdery snow that failed to stick on the highway. So far, so good.

By the time we got to Laredo, Texas we were already aware that we would have to acquire additional car insurance for Mexico. The insurance agent warned us of five things we needed to know before we got on our way.

1. You must never, ever drive on the highway at nighttime because livestock are free to roam and also found its warmth pleasant to sleep on;
2. You must never go to a hotel without first checking on their providing 24 hour security for the parking lot. Also, word to the wise, before bedding down, he recommended removing your hub caps before parking your car overnight;
3. Should you have an accident, regardless of who is at fault, both parties cars will be immediately impounded and will remain impounded until the court case is heard. In other words, you just as well kiss your car goodbye;
4. While in Acapulco, should you go to the beach at night, never go alone, and;
5. It is not uncommon to see wild horses and donkeys walking freely on the main boulevard without supervision.

Then, we had to get through customs. My passport was still good and the others arranged for temporary visas for Mexico. All was going well until we passed through customs and each of us had to declare how much money each was carrying. Because I was “totally broke” at the time, being honest I told the authorities “nothing” and they were in total disbelief and started giving me HELL! Their facility with English was almost as bad as my high school Spanish background. They spoke so fast, I could not begin to understand them. Finally, everything halted when I showed them proof I was the owner of the car.

Upon our crossing the border, I was amazed by all the clotheslines full of drying laundry that adorned the Mexican side of Laredo like a theater curtain. The density of people was many times greater on the Mexican side as well. I realized immediately this was going to be quite different from my travels in France and Germany. Livestock was suddenly everywhere, blocking the road. We slowly worked our way through our first exposure to Mexico in their native environment. We passed through this throng of humanity and got on the highway heading south to Mexico City and later on Acapulco. We spent our first night in a old, but charming hotel in Monterrey. The rooms were cheap in this old hotel but the baths were shared with other guests and not nearly as charming. No provisions were made for A/C either. In the morning, we went down to load the car and two 7 year old boys with an empty Folgers Coffee can and a rag took it upon themselves to wash my car. As we appeared with our luggage, immediately the hands came out. There were many more palms to grease along the way, but intersections had my unassuming air-conditioned Rambler completely engulfed with a mass of humanity, total strangers wiping my windows and wanting money as if we were rock stars. We soon learned to drive on regardless of the crowd and were very fortunate no one got hurt. Because of fearing being involved in an accident, I made the “executive decision” I was going to be at the wheel whenever we were in a town of any consequence. I didn’t want to blame the other guys for any careless accidents.

Within our cozy car, let me introduce those along for the ride. Jim was a student from modest means that had a love for chemistry, Nick was the best looking one with long blond hair and a laid-back attitude. He sported one extremely low-hanging ball out of the two and he complained frequently about it so we were all well aware of it’s precarious vantage point, and then, we had the least known passenger, Ralph. He was a self-declared expert on all females below 60 years of age and a friend to no one in the car. I never knew how he was chosen as a passenger. He broadcasted from the back seat everytime we came close to a female, filling thee silence with an almost endless mantra of…”GEE, I couldn’t FUCK THAT!” and on and on it went until finally after several hours, I had my fill of his chauvinistic blather. Turning toward him, I finally blew up at Ralph saying…” if he was such a stud after all, he would find the rougher girls that much more exciting in the conquest, that should have been sufficient proof of his “studly masculinity”, no less! Right or wrong, I shamed him enough that he finally stopped all his disrespectful announcements, much to my great relief.

Because of free-range livestock inhabiting the highway at night, we were now forced to adjust our projected driving time for sightseeing down to only 3- out of 9-days of our trip. It was now going to require 3 days driving each way instead of just 2. Before arriving at Mexico City, we could tell the air was getting extremely thin because my car was no longer capable of traveling above 35mph and it was stalling every time I had to stop at a light. I noticed almost all cars appearing on the street had huge non-factory “homemade hood scoops” to capture as much air as possible into the carburetor. There were what looked like some 5000+ feet drops to be had beyond the guard rail, while driving through the higher elevations leading to Mexico City.

On our way out of Mexico City, there was a perceptible gradual dropping in altitude as we were approaching the sea level resort of Acapulco. Before our arrival, we stopped at a hamburger joint a few miles short of our destination. We were approached by an American now living year-around in Mexico. He saw our Arkansas car tags and introduced himself saying “You guys must be from the States”. We said our hellos and he gave us in return a lot of useful information, almost what you would expect from a travel agent had we had one. We didn’t bother with room reservations before leaving Arkansas, and we were concerned about finding an air-conditioned hotel room at a reasonable price. He told us about a hotel where the rooms were real cheap, it was air-conditioned with a private bath. It was right across the main drag by the beach and he assured me they had a full-time guard watching the parking lot. What unbelievable luck! In fact the room cost only $14 per night total with individual beds for all four guys. Yes, that does sound unbelievable but what we didn’t know was that our arrival was after tourist season had closed down. That meant the beach was almost completely abandoned. So, we found this place and we checked in, changed into our swimming suits, and headed directly to the beach where we stayed until this big flash of RED. You guessed it. After two hours of cooking directly under the hot sun, we each were “fully cooked” and red as lobsters. We returned shortly aching and groaning all the way back to our room like some 80 year olds. You see, no one told us we needed to use sunscreen. I guess we must have thought it was optional.lol

Anyway, we spend the rest of the evening walking like half-dead survivors of an atomic blast to frequent a nearby 24 hour pharmacy that we could locate large jars of Noxema to cart away to our safe haven. We carefully coated each other’s burnt remains of our fellow travelers shoulders and backs. We even ventured out to obtain a hamburger later on remarking about the undeniably horsey taste it had. Regardless, we ate and vowed never to return to this questionable burger stand. Because I could not rest my back against the seat back while driving, I was relegated to holding on to the top of my steering wheel as if for dear life like some life preserver, to avoid any unnecessary contact of my back with the vinyl upholstery. Also, that was my first experience having the back of my knees were so very burnt that each time I stepped on the brake or the clutch, sighs of pain filled my car’s cabin. The rest of the crew was just as badly burnt.

Stimpy

My Spring Break - Part 2

I think it is only fair to say things began to go downhill from this point on. While driving down, we had detected a mechanical problem with a mysterious speed-related vibration coming from the front of the car. I had been really surprised to see so many Rambler Americans on the road in Mexico, so the next morning, we located the Rambler dealer and told him of this vibration. He quickly identified a front tire with a separation(a bubble on the inside sidewall not visible from the street). Also, entire chunks of the tread was missing from this tire too. That was the first tire ruined during the trip. We swapped my spare thinking surely we wouldn’t need it anyway. We were about to go on our way when the Rambler dealer himself asked me if he could purchase and remove my “factory air conditioner”. I was flabbergasted but then he explained they weren’t available in Mexico at the time. Even so, I wasn’t about to return home without my A/C, so we left the Dealership all–in-one piece in air-conditioned comfort.

We had just two days left and felt we didn’t have sufficient time to explore the Mayan ruins or the inclination either due to our sunburn. Our second day in Acapulco, we decided to go to a major open-air market for fruits and vegetables. We thought this would be a great opportunity to get better fruits that we could normally find at home. We feasted on these less than stellar fruits for our lunch and by mid- afternoon we were hungry again. Obviously, that did not work out too well. Then we explored the cliffs where cliff divers jump head first and decided none of us had the guts or were sufficiently stupid to make the attempt. Not far from there was a nice looking Hawaiian Restaurant located on a lagoon featuring fresh seafood. We decided to return the final night for supper.

At one point one of the hornier guys suggested we needed to find some hookers and they had investigated enough on their own as to where to look. It was a dark part of the city and we already had quite a lot to drink earlier. Regardless of my sexuality, I felt as visitors in a foreign country, it was inappropriate to act in ways we normally wouldn’t act at home. All I know is, I refused to go in, we each somehow got into a fight, and I inadvertently struck my dear friend Jim whom I loved. He was so taken aback by my action and I never felt he fully forgave me for striking him. I repeatedly begged for his forgiveness but he wasn’t in a forgiving mood. He felt I had ruined his vacation.

The mood changed abruptly for everyone and we soon found ourselves back in our room. We had one day remaining to see the sights in Acapulco. I failed to mention while we were taking our hourly visits to the pharmacy in search of Noxema, on the sidewalk under each tree - planted every 20 feet apart - was a family residing there around the clock. The entire family’s hands would go up on queue as we walked by. Collectively, the degree of poverty that was obvious far outweighed any enjoyment I could find being in Acapulco.

Regardless, we had our last supper and it was at this Hawaiian Restaurant called Steve’s Hideaway. Obviously, it was targeted at the American Tourist. While the food was very good and the prices were most reasonable, the restaurant was located on a lagoon with a multitude of mosquitoes dense enough they didn’t need servers to clear the table. We enjoyed our meal, but we suffered for the privilege.

We checked out of the hotel the next day and started our journey back home. Approaching Mexico City again, we needed to cash some travelers’ cheques but were having trouble locating a bank on the multilane major boulevard carved through downtown Mexico City. I still had my problems with my engine dying and we deliberately made an illegal u-turn because we saw another car ahead of us do this first. When the dust cleared, I completed the turn, a motorcycle cop was waiting for us, and hailed us over. We tried to explain what we were doing and getting nowhere with the language barrier. Anyway, acting dumb allowed us to talk him into directing us back onto the major highway and he finally agreed without writing us a ticket. He took off expecting us to follow him, while my car immediately died. By the time I could get it restarted, he was nowhere to be found! Then, we continued on that boulevard until we came to two gigantic plazas where 8 or more large streets merged into a circle. Mexico city drivers drive like maniacs anyway not looking to their left or right and once on the plaza, you could no longer tell if you here going toward the opposite side of the circle or you had lost count. This is nowhere to doubt your destination or you could get permanently stuck going around and around the plaza indefinitely. Fortunately, my untested tube-style experimental GPS guided me correctly and we got off as soon as possible and found our highway after all.

We took a slight detour off the Pan American Highway by accident and found ourselves in a village called Igualla(???) where we were greeted by its inhabitants holding up large Iguanas as something predating the Home Shopping Channel minus the 3 easy payments. I don’t know if the Iguanas had been stuffed or they were still alive, but we had better ways of spending our money besides buying an overgrown reptiles. Around this time, we had a blowout from one of the tires. We had no choice but to reinstall the already damaged tire in the trunk. Fearing it could blow, we found a garage that had some slick tires displayed outside and we replaced the tire with the separation for this $7 slick wonder. As fate would have it, this is the only tire that traveled the entire distance safely, though completely bare of tread. Then, as we got to further down the road, the night was coming and we decided to tailgate a Greyhound-type bus, hoping and praying it would wipe off any roadside carnage for us. Fortunately, the elevation had reduced enough that we could drive at normal highway speeds and we had one hell of a time keeping up with the speeding bus. We followed it for as long as we could until its taillights were miniscule red dots that vanished into the distance. We stopped for the night and started out early the next morning checking out the condition of my tires. With the exception of the slick one, the others tires were now full of missing chunks of tread and were looking pretty sad. We drove on anyway. Driving through the deserted hills, I often thought this would be a wonderful place to be hijacked and never be found, but fortunately, nothing like that happened to us.

All we could think of was the border had to be coming soon, real soon. When we finally reentered the US, we were grateful to feel we were close enough we could continue limping on till we got home without the possibility of being victimized. We finally arrived at our college town, thoroughly exhausted, sunburned, and more or less in one piece. I decided I never wanted to return to Mexico, but five years ago, I went on a Carnival Cruise to Cozumel and Progresso with a friend who was celebrating her first year of being cancer free. I had never been on a cruise ship and I found it a great deal more restful than my trip to Acapulco back in 1971. The one thing I have always kept from my trip to Acapulco was not “Montezuma’s Revenge” as one might speculate. Rather, it was my trustymoustache that has remained permanently on my upper lip ever since then.

Stimpy

Great story Stimpy!

I can't imagine how disappointing it was for all of you to have to deal with all those obstacles when you just wanted to see Mayan ruins. Thank you for writing out the story again. You really do have a talent for writing! :)

Stimpy,

What a wonderful story. Sounds like so much fun. Did you ever get to see the Mayan Sites?

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid