• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Science!!!!

This is the best year for solar storms which causes Aurora's. We are projected to have the best aurora's since 1958. There is some worry because a huge solar flare from the sun could wipeout our communications, satellites, power, air travel etc. Just this morning there was a CME which is expected to deliver a blow to Earth's magnetic field on March 6th or 7th. There has been aurora's reported as far as Nebraska for the last CME and this recent one is a class 1 which is the highest. I'm going to try to see the aurora's here from Colorado since people in Nebraska could see the last one.

The first picture below is from the latest eruption on the sun. The proceeding pictures are from the last aurora which was not even a class 1 eruption. The pictures are a 4 second exposure. I want to see an aurora SO badly you have no idea. :nicethread:

Mark,

Years ago I was in Alaska and saw an incredible display of aurora. I was with a friend who spent his summers working at McKinley National Park and he let me know that this was, by far, the best and brightest ones he had ever seen. I spent about 2 hours taking long time exposures of them which came out, much to my surprise, great. If you are lucky, it is possible for the aurora to be visible in the US and could easily be visible in Colorado if the conditions are right.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Mark,

Years ago I was in Alaska and saw an incredible display of aurora. I was with a friend who spent his summers working at McKinley National Park and he let me know that this was, by far, the best and brightest ones he had ever seen. I spent about 2 hours taking long time exposures of them which came out, much to my surprise, great. If you are lucky, it is possible for the aurora to be visible in the US and could easily be visible in Colorado if the conditions are right.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

So jealous. You should post some pics. :)

A deep seeded magma chamber is the source of the heat that causes all the geothermic activity. Earthquakes in the park is usually related to magma rising up closer to the surface.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

And with this post I reach the 500 mark!

I believe you are thinking about Lenticular clouds.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Mark,

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Well, well, well.. You see Mark! we are not the only ones who understand our unsatisfiable appetite for learning about how the world works! We arnt that weird! lol

Vicekid,
I bet that you understand how hard it is to find friends who share the same interests, as some of the people have expressed in this thread that i had posted. And it really is a breath of fresh air to have so many people actually Get It. Its Awesome! lol

How long did you go to school?

what made you interested in Earth Science?

to be fair i guess i will answer my own questions..

Im still going to school and i have love earth science ever since i can remember the first time my Dad showed me how the sun worked rising and setting..

He had gotten a foam ball, about the size of a grapefruit, he stated "this is the earth" and proceeded to put a dot with a pen where we were on the "earth."
Then he got a flash light and said,"This is the sun, now we know that the earth is kinda tilted like this" he turns the ball a little lopsided so that when he spun it, the dot would show me seasons too. "The earth goes around the sun while spinning on its side a little bit. the moon also does the same with one side always facing us." This was when i was 5 years old, i understood how the sun went up and down.

My dad was also a huge storm chaser, before there were even Mobile radar, that news stations would only rely on chasers to tell them where the tornados were or how bad the storm was. so many stories, i will never forget, he taught me so much. then parents split, but my passion didnt, and to this day for entertainment, i watch documentaries as a hobby.

Like today, i just watched "Steven Hawkings, Story of everything"

It was uplifting, inspiring, and just everything that i love in one video. :angel:

Well, well, well.. You see Mark! we are not the only ones who understand our unsatisfiable appetite for learning about how the world works! We arnt that weird! lol

OK Blake, let me see if I can answer these questions;
Vicekid,
I bet that you understand how hard it is to find friends who share the same interests, as some of the people have expressed in this thread that i had posted. And it really is a breath of fresh air to have so many people actually Get It. Its Awesome! lol I totally agree with you. It is always refreshing to find someone with similar interest.

How long did you go to school? It took me 5 years to get my BS degree in Geology. I then went back for two more working on a teaching credential (which I never did finish). During that time I was elected Student Body President. The following year I became the first President to ever get re-elected. It was also during this time that the Geology Department hired me on as a part time lecturer, teaching lower division lab classes.

what made you interested in Earth Science? That's a tough one. It seems like I've always been interested in the Stars/sky. And I had a fascination with rocks, minerals and crystals. I enjoyed all science projects and I can recall going back to second grade a project we did placing water in a container, marking it, and placing it outside to freeze. Then seeing how much more space it took up in the container. I lived in Brooklyn, NY then.
In High School as a Freshmen I took my first Earth Science Class and well, that cemented my interest in that field. We had an astronomy club and from my sophomore year to senior year I was President of the Club. One adventure I remember was meeting at 3 in the morning on the roof of the science building with most of the club members and parents to view a comet.

In 2009 I took a cruise out of China to see the longest total eclipse of the 21st Century and the longest one I will ever see. The entire ship was charter with Eclipse chasers to see this event. Many of us work via e-mail to set up shore excursions. In Kagoshima, a number of us planned a trip to see the active volcano which is their Mt Vesuvius. I became the leader of this group and as we took a ferry to volcanic island, I had done my homework and gave everyone some history of this volcano and discussed some of the different volcanic rocks we found along the route. That was fun, and my group, most who I had never met until this cruise were blown away by what I shared with them. So as you can see I truly enjoy the field.

to be fair i guess i will answer my own questions..

Im still going to school and i have love earth science ever since i can remember the first time my Dad showed me how the sun worked rising and setting..

He had gotten a foam ball, about the size of a grapefruit, he stated "this is the earth" and proceeded to put a dot with a pen where we were on the "earth."
Then he got a flash light and said,"This is the sun, now we know that the earth is kinda tilted like this" he turns the ball a little lopsided so that when he spun it, the dot would show me seasons too. "The earth goes around the sun while spinning on its side a little bit. the moon also does the same with one side always facing us." This was when i was 5 years old, i understood how the sun went up and down.

When I was in Junior High and I use to set up a telescope where my dad worked in a Key shop in the parking lot of a major chain store. I would charge 50 cents to look into the scope to see things like Jupiter and its moons, or Saturn and its rings.

My dad was also a huge storm chaser, before there were even Mobile radar, that news stations would only rely on chasers to tell them where the tornados were or how bad the storm was. so many stories, i will never forget, he taught me so much. then parents split, but my passion didnt, and to this day for entertainment, i watch documentaries as a hobby.

I will always take advantage to see a good science program. The same for Science Fiction. To me, Science Fiction is the Science of the future. to prove my point look at Jules Verne. His books were all science fiction, but how many have come true (like going to the moon).

Now here is an interesting question to ponder. If you could travel at 90% of the speed of light, how many years would it take to get to our nearest neighbor galaxy, Andromeda? Then how much food/water would you need to pack for the journey?
Like today, i just watched "Steven Hawkings, Story of everything"

It was uplifting, inspiring, and just everything that i love in one video. :angel:

Blake, Did I answer your questions OK.

May the Force Be With You.

Vicekid

Blake, Did I answer your questions OK.

May the Force Be With You.

Vicekid

Andromeda being roughly between 2.5-3 million light years away, and moving at 90% the speed of light, you might be looking at 3-4 million years of traveling.

amount of food.. Impossible. the fact that in that time if humans were to be able to travel at 90% the speed of 180,000 miles/second is just not possible.

Unless a huge space ship is built... this space ship would have to be so massive to carry enough fuel to allow the engines to burn at full throttle for 6 years straight! even then the speed allowed by physics can only be reached at 99.99% the speed of light. call it a physics speed limit, nothing can go faster than light, we have done experiments after experiments both in space and on earth in proton accelerators, thats also how going in the future is "some what" possible.. we noticed that the protons in the chamber moving at those incredible speeds lasted about 30 times longer than they would have going at a normal/stationary speed. this showed that moving that fast actually caused the particles matter to slow down so as not to reach the speed of light, the faster you go the more time will pass..

Ex..

if there were a super fast train that had a track the fully circled the earth and we somehow created this train to be able to go almost the speed of light, the people on the train would literally have time slow down, but they wouldnt notice. if they go at 99% the speed of light cuz physics will only allow this, the passengers stayed in the train for a week traveling around the earth at 7 revolutions a second, they would come out of the train 100 years into the future.

99% speed of light+ 1 week= 100years.

and we have experimented before, so we know this happens. :biggrin:

if there were a super fast train that had a track the fully circled the earth and we somehow created this train to be able to go almost the speed of light, the people on the train would literally have time slow down, but they wouldnt notice. if they go at 99% the speed of light cuz physics will only allow this, the passengers stayed in the train for a week traveling around the earth at 7 revolutions a second, they would come out of the train 100 years into the future.

As Spock would say.... "Fascinating."

Thanks Blake! I know that Einstein in particular was very fond of using these kind of "story problems" to both figure out complex concepts for himself but also to explain the logic of these complex concepts to others. It's much easier to explain the ideas in layman's terms than it is to lay out the sheets of mathematical equations.

Hey Blake,

Have you been following all the news about the solar activity today? It's a shame that the full moon will hinder people's ability to see the Northern Lights.

Hey Blake,

Have you been following all the news about the solar activity today? It's a shame that the full moon will hinder people's ability to see the Northern Lights.

I've been following it but actually I've read that even with a full moon and city lights people have still been able to see them.

As Spock would say.... "Fascinating."

Thanks Blake! I know that Einstein in particular was very fond of using these kind of "story problems" to both figure out complex concepts for himself but also to explain the logic of these complex concepts to others. It's much easier to explain the ideas in layman's terms than it is to lay out the sheets of mathematical equations.

LOL,
Love it, i just got compared to albert einstein! lol awesome.. but actually this is straight from the mouth of steven hawkings.

Hey Blake,

Here's a quote from someone to give you an idea how bright these are....

Another great night in Abisko Sweden! The auroras have been unbelievable every night for an entire week! I have spent thousands of hours photographing the auroras and I can honestly say I have never seen anything like this. The full moon could not compete with the auroras tonight. All of our guests were treated to one of the finest displays of the season. Shot with a Nikon D7000, Tokina 11/16 2.8, ISO 1250, 4 second exposures.

Attachments

• sweden-auroras.jpg
    sweden-auroras.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 40
  • auroras3.jpg
    auroras3.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 41
Andromeda being roughly between 2.5-3 million light years away, and moving at 90% the speed of light, you might be looking at 3-4 million years of traveling.

amount of food.. Impossible. the fact that in that time if humans were to be able to travel at 90% the speed of 180,000 miles/second is just not possible.

Unless a huge space ship is built... this space ship would have to be so massive to carry enough fuel to allow the engines to burn at full throttle for 6 years straight! even then the speed allowed by physics can only be reached at 99.99% the speed of light. call it a physics speed limit, nothing can go faster than light, we have done experiments after experiments both in space and on earth in proton accelerators, thats also how going in the future is "some what" possible.. we noticed that the protons in the chamber moving at those incredible speeds lasted about 30 times longer than they would have going at a normal/stationary speed. this showed that moving that fast actually caused the particles matter to slow down so as not to reach the speed of light, the faster you go the more time will pass..

Ex..

Blake,

You are in part correct. The faster you go and the closer to the speed of light you get, time does slow down. Your were also close in how far away the Andromeda Galaxy. It is about 2.2 million light years away. Traveling at 90% of the speed of light it would take the traveler 29 years to reach Andromeda and 29 years to return. So the traveler would age 58 years in a round trip flight. HOWEVER, when the traveler returns to earth, the earth would have aged 4.4 million years (normal time).

As for the food question, I really did not want to use it here, as I was thinking of something else when I asked the question. But, it 58 years worth of food is still a lot.

As for fuel and size of ship, would all depend on what the propulsion system is used. Once you reach the 90% speed of light and your traveling in interstellar space, with almost no friction you would be able to coast the way there.

As for achieving the speed of light, they have measured particles that seem to have exceeded the speed of light. Now if we can figure out how to Wrap the local space/time field that perhaps we can go faster than the speed of light.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Hey Blake,

Tampa,

If I did this correct I've attached a link to Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).
This March 5, 2012 video should bring some smiles and W O W S ! Every night a eagerly await to see the new photo.

Hope you all enjoy.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120305.html

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Tampa,

If I did this correct I've attached a link to Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).
This March 5, 2012 video should bring some smiles and W O W S ! Every night a eagerly await to see the new photo.

Hope you all enjoy.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120305.html

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

HOLY SHIT that brought tears to my eyes, absolutely amazing!!!!!!!

I've seen quite a few of those but that one is the best ever, thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited:
HOLY SHIT that brought tears to my eyes, absolutely amazing!!!!!!!

I've seen quite a few of those but that one is the best ever, thanks for sharing. :)

I so agree Mark. That was amazing. I've seen satellite photos of the lights on the various continents at night. But I've never seen a video of this quality. And the purplish light being being projected out by lightning within storm systems all over the planet was just amazing to see from space. That was awe inspiring.