• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Science!!!!

Don't worry, I will be your mentor for storm chasing:scared:

My mentor to help me not get myself killed LOL. I checked my odds on that one and I'm still 450 times more likely to fall and die then get killed by a twister. I wonder if my odds increase if I'm not the type of person to slow down or turn around if I see a tornado haha.

Who here has been to Yellowstone? One of my favorite places to go and I went in late 2010. For those who don't know the last eruption was over 600,000 years ago and guess what? It is way overdue to erupt again. Thing is this is not just a volcano it is a super volcano which can produce eruptions thousands time than most historic volcanos. Here is a quick video for those who don't know so take a minute and learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_YUwdiy8I

Mark, surely you are not talking about something greater than the underground volcano in LA that Tommy Lee Jones had so much trouble with?

Hi Blake:
Sonice to see that yu into the sciences. Good lck on your studies. It is always so neat to be able to explain natural phenomena. I had read somewhere where a new cloud type had been identified and listed. So what is it and under what conditions is it found? Nice to have you as a model on Broke Straight Boys II. Thanks.

Watched the video on Yellowstone and the super volcano. WOW, that was very interesting. I live in Iowa, so it would be nice to have a hot sping in my back yard. I'm suggesting that it might provide an additional vent to avoid an eruption. See how helpful I can be.

Also, I've thinking about the clouds. I know part of their names. 1) fluffy clouds, 2)dense clouds, and 3) dark wall clouds that come just before a tornado.

As you can tell, I like to have fun and am a little sarcastic. Best wishes.

Hi Blake:
Sonice to see that yu into the sciences. Good lck on your studies. It is always so neat to be able to explain natural phenomena. I had read somewhere where a new cloud type had been identified and listed. So what is it and under what conditions is it found? Nice to have you as a model on Broke Straight Boys II. Thanks.

From the top of my head I can't rememberthe name of it. But I do believe it's the clouds that form usually at high altitudes due to wind shear in both directions, usually pushed by a mountain top, create a bowl shaped cloud in the sky that also can be mistaken for a fairly llarge UFO!:shock:

Watched the video on Yellowstone and the super volcano. WOW, that was very interesting. I live in Iowa, so it would be nice to have a hot sping in my back yard. I'm suggesting that it might provide an additional vent to avoid an eruption. See how helpful I can be.

Also, I've thinking about the clouds. I know part of their names. 1) fluffy clouds, 2)dense clouds, and 3) dark wall clouds that come just before a tornado.

Hanna aha but you forgot shelf clouds! Which is a wall cloud imitator usually running down the path of a qual line in front of a cold front, when the temperature in one gust of wind goes from dry and 80 degrees, to wet and 60 in just a few moments.

Having fun is important. :)

This is the best year for solar storms which causes Aurora's. We are projected to have the best aurora's since 1958. There is some worry because a huge solar flare from the sun could wipeout our communications, satellites, power, air travel etc. Just this morning there was a CME which is expected to deliver a blow to Earth's magnetic field on March 6th or 7th. There has been aurora's reported as far as Nebraska for the last CME and this recent one is a class 1 which is the highest. I'm going to try to see the aurora's here from Colorado since people in Nebraska could see the last one.

The first picture below is from the latest eruption on the sun. The proceeding pictures are from the last aurora which was not even a class 1 eruption. The pictures are a 4 second exposure. I want to see an aurora SO badly you have no idea. :nicethread:

Attachments

• cme.jpg
    cme.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 35
  • aurora.jpg
    aurora.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 37
  • aurora2.jpg
    aurora2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 36
This is the best year for solar storms which causes Aurora's. We are projected to have the best aurora's since 1958. There is some worry because a huge solar flare from the sun could wipeout our communications, satellites, power, air travel etc. Just this morning there was a CME which is expected to deliver a blow to Earth's magnetic field on March 6th or 7th. There has been aurora's reported as far as Nebraska for the last CME and this recent one is a class 1 which is the highest. I'm going to try to see the aurora's here from Colorado since people in Nebraska could see the last one.

The first picture below is from the latest eruption on the sun. The proceeding pictures are from the last aurora which was not even a class 1 eruption. The pictures are a 4 second exposure. I want to see an aurora SO badly you have no idea. :nicethread:

You could always arrange a "straight boys of Alaska" shoot, up there during aurore borealis time. Combine work and play, then Blake could go too.

just reading about the ten best places to see the aurora. alaska was high on the list.

Just make sure Blake keeps a safe distance away from the glaciers. So he doesn't melt them. :)

In all seriousness though I really do hope you get the experience Blake.

Just make sure Blake keeps a safe distance away from the glaciers. So he doesn't melt them. :)

In all seriousness though I really do hope you get the experience Blake.

LOL that was awesome!!! :angel:

I know one day i will get to see them, and if i dont, well thats life and i can still dream about what they will look like in person. :angel:

I am a huge science Buff, seriously, I love doing nothing more than talking about earth science being, meteorology, geology, volcanology, pyro tech, lights tech, and astronomy! Im studying all of these in college, CHALLENGE ME! lol if you dare!:newhere:

Mr. Blake,

It seems the more I catch up here on the forum, the more we seem to have in common. I have been interested in science since grade school. I majored in Geology and have a BS in that field, thought I'm not in that field today. I've been to Hawaii and flow over the active volcanoes on the Big Island. I got as close as possible to flowing lava. And I've been to the top of Mona Kea the tallest volcano on the island. I went there to see the telescopes and do some sky observing. I guess you could say I'm really down to earth!!! And I don't take anything for Granite.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Who here has been to Yellowstone? One of my favorite places to go and I went in late 2010. For those who don't know the last eruption was over 600,000 years ago and guess what? It is way overdue to erupt again. Thing is this is not just a volcano it is a super volcano which can produce eruptions thousands time than most historic volcanos. Here is a quick video for those who don't know so take a minute and learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_YUwdiy8I

Should that super volcano go off, life as we know it on this planet will be radically changed. Out here in Calif. in the Mono Lakes area that too is a super volcano (though not as big as Yellowstone) that could also pose some major problems. Then again, living in Calif, especially Southern Calif. we are well over due for a major earthquake. The San Andres fault is sleeping and one day will wake up. When it strikes (not if) it will be equal to or stronger than the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906.

But mother earth has been going through this for billions of years. Not much we can do about it. so let have fun.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

So, how many people actually understand/know what geothermal activity is driving the heart of yellowstone national park in Wyoming?

A deep seeded magma chamber is the source of the heat that causes all the geothermic activity. Earthquakes in the park is usually related to magma rising up closer to the surface.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

And with this post I reach the 500 mark!

From the top of my head I can't rememberthe name of it. But I do believe it's the clouds that form usually at high altitudes due to wind shear in both directions, usually pushed by a mountain top, create a bowl shaped cloud in the sky that also can be mistaken for a fairly llarge UFO!:shock:

I believe you are thinking about Lenticular clouds.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid