• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Real Sports - Athletes and Teams that we follow and admire.

Thanks for posting. Been following Tom for awhile and it's amazing to see him win gold.

:waw:

It is very gratifying to see him win gold before his career ends. Maybe a few more medals yet in the future? But I remember when he entered the stadium for the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics in 2008. He was only 14 and I was bowled over that a handsome young kid like him actually made it to the Olympics. I hadn't known that someone so young would even be allowed to compete. :)

Here's finally a better quality video of Tom's press conference posted on YT. It's a little confusing with the name plates as they are reversed from where the Gold medal Olympians actually sit down. Also the name plates start with the last name first, followed by the first name.

So the names are Thomas Daley who is actually seated to our left. And Matty (Matthew) Lee who is seated to our right.

The part where he talks about being a gay man and an Olympian begins at 7:37 if you prefer to skip to that point. But the whole interview is quite good. :)

What a tremendous role model for British gay youth!

Today is the Major League Baseball trading deadline and there has been a lot of movement already, with more pending. The Red Sox got slugger Kyle Schwarber. The Dodgers traded for Nationals pitcher Max Scherzer and SS Trea Turner. And my Yankees went out and traded several minor league prospects for left handed sluggers, Anthony Rizzo
NfNU7xgW_400x400.jpg

and Joey Gallo from Texas.

opnoGhppENsyrUHRPG6481kpBsZ9H8RzwNTauCI9f1AXt45pomENSB2NToCqn0e3oEXVr7yQt-sqaNUsRjrG9vB82FCpRgZY_tUJ5JJ-GL-zchkZ9p2DSCGWyLuTEPiEM7YOETz0vj6LlxvRnkzcAjHYLILuUo1iJgePPIM7cMXpqpUziQmsPHJs8MuRkwz6M6Ss4rduywLna8Ey61CNkmLzWOpGzyo3

These trade deadline trades are in order for teams to fill their needs with the final two months of the season upon us. Stay tuned as more moves are still expected today by the deadline.

The New York Mets also made a big move getting Javier Baez from the Cubs. But they also got bad news that their ace pitcher Jacob deGrom has been sidelined for another two weeks with elbow inflammation. It appears he will be out until at least September.

RIP Thurman Munson

Forty-two years ago today, marks the saddest day of my life regarding sports. I was actually on vacation and staying in one of the gay mecca's Provincetown on the tip of Cape Cod. I woke up the following morning, August 3rd and clearly remember walking on Commercial Street for breakfast and my eyes saw a newsstand with this headline from my hometown New York Daily News.

NCAAP346ZNARDO6AMBUAYZSX7U.JPG

The Yankees were playing at home that night and I had a partial season ticket plan with my buddy. He was taking his father-in-law that night as I was on vacation. My first instinct was to get in my car and drive back home to attend the game and the tribute to our team captain. However I realized that I had already given away my ticket and I had driven over three hundred miles and so I did not go home. And as it happens that very afternoon during tea dance at The Boatslip, I met a 23 year old handsome blonde haired, Englishman who was on vacation in the United States for the summer. And he was staying in New York City. We had a whirlwind affair that summer and I never would have met him if I had come back home for the tribute to Thurman Munson.

This story is kind of disjointed and has no point except that this day and tomorrow's date have a great significance to me and I am kind of rambling on, as I often do here. lol.

Wow. I can see why that memory is so bitter-sweet for you. When we unexpectedly lose somebody in public life who we respect and admire, it does take a toll of grief even if we never knew them personally.

The closest memory I have to that is picking up my morning paper and reading (to my horror) that River Phoenix had just died of an accidental overdose. To say that I was shocked and upset is an understatement.

Just to finish up my memories of the week of August 2, 1979. As I spoke about in my previous post yesterday, I was shocked to see the headline about the tragic death of Thurman Munson while on vacation in P-Town, but I stayed and met a beautiful 24 year old English lad that very same day, who I had a whirlwind affair with for the rest of that summer and into the fall before he returned home to England. So to quote Charles Dickens, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times", for me that week.

However I was back home on August 6th, the day that the Yankees all flew to Canton, Ohio for Thurman Munson's funeral. His teammate and good buddy, Bobby Murcer delivered one of the eulogy's. Bobby was a veteran who had recently returned to the Yankees after being traded to the Giants and later to the Cubs in the National League. I attended the game the night of the funeral, and the Yankees were exhausted physically and emotionally from the flight back and forth from canton and the emotional farewell to their teammate and captain.

Bobby Murcer who was in the twilight of his career wound up hitting a game winning double to left field as the Yankees won one last game for their captain. That night and that whole week are firlmy etched in my brain forever.

AP_790805076.jpg

s-l400.jpg

BuWo93TCYAAGRln.jpg

lead630-bf452a0a9223de851da15cbb14c9efb9.jpg

Just to finish up my memories of the week of August 2, 1979. As I spoke about in my previous post yesterday, I was shocked to see the headline about the tragic death of Thurman Munson while on vacation in P-Town, but I stayed and met a beautiful 24 year old English lad that very same day, who I had a whirlwind affair with for the rest of that summer and into the fall before he returned home to England. So to quote Charles Dickens, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times", for me that week.

However I was back home on August 6th, the day that the Yankees all flew to Canton, Ohio for Thurman Munson's funeral. His teammate and good buddy, Bobby Murcer delivered one of the eulogy's. Bobby was a veteran who had recently returned to the Yankees after being traded to the Giants and later to the Cubs in the National League. I attended the game the night of the funeral, and the Yankees were exhausted physically and emotionally from the flight back and forth from canton and the emotional farewell to their teammate and captain.

Bobby Murcer who was in the twilight of his career wound up hitting a game winning double to left field as the Yankees won one last game for their captain. That night and that whole week are firlmy etched in my brain forever.

AP_790805076.jpg

s-l400.jpg

BuWo93TCYAAGRln.jpg

lead630-bf452a0a9223de851da15cbb14c9efb9.jpg

Somewhat similar to the plane crash death of Roberto Clemente as he was flying food to those in need as I recall. Very sad even with the passage of time.

While I still hadn't yet been born in California at the time, the memory of this story has stayed alive in my family after all these years. Not because we personally knew anyone who passed...but because my parents and family had and have strong ties not only to California, but also to Toledo, Ohio. It was a tragedy deeply felt on both sides of the country.

TRAGIC FLIGHT: THE 1960 FOOTBALL TEAM PLANE CRASH

03_teamphoto_large.jpg

The news arrived on the last Saturday of October, 1960, desolating families, stunning the campus, and shocking the country. The Arctic-Pacific chartered plane carrying the Cal Poly Mustang football team had crashed and burned on takeoff at the Toledo, Ohio, airport. Earlier that day they had played nearby Bowling Green State University.

Sixteen Mustang football players, the student manager, a member of the Mustang Booster Club, and four others perished that October 29th. Of the forty-eight persons aboard the Curtiss C-46 aircraft, another twenty-two were injured, some gravely. Dense fog, later determined to be a major factor in the accident, slowed ambulances trying to reach the airport twenty miles east of Toledo.

At 3:30 a.m., Vice President Robert Kennedy and Dean Clyde Fisher began telephoning the parents and wives of those lost. “It was one of the most nightmarish, heartrending tasks I’ve ever attempted,” Kennedy later recalled. “The worst part of it was calling the parents, most of whom didn’t know there was a wreck.”

At dawn that Sunday, flags on campus and across San Luis Obispo County were lowered to half-mast. Vice President Kennedy spent the early morning hours Sunday reading wire reports at the Telegram-Tribune, whose staff was busy getting out an extra edition headlined “POLY FOOTBALL TEAM IN AIR CRASH; 22 DEAD.” Journalism students began the grim task of reporting on the loss of their classmates for the student newspaper. Two weeks later, Life magazine published an article, “Campus Overwhelmed by a Team’s Tragic Flight.”

The grief-stricken campus reluctantly began another week of classes on Monday morning, October 31. Classes were dismissed at 10 a.m. for a memorial service in Crandall gymnasium, which was filled to capacity by students, faculty and townspeople. President Julian McPhee left for Ohio to be with the injured and their family members. “I cannot praise the people of Toledo and Ohio enough,” McPhee said to a reporter. “And the alumni in that area at the time of the tragedy were truly helpful. We learned where the heart of America is — it is in the compassion of its people.”

The Red Cross played a vital role in the aftermath of the devastating accident. On the scene almost immediately, Red Cross volunteers compiled reports from three area hospitals on the condition of survivors. They conveyed personal messages from the bedsides of the injured to parents and wives at home and worked with local Red Cross chapters in students’ hometowns to assist family members. Funds for travel to Ohio, for living expenses, and other necessities were advanced or provided by the humanitarian organization.

Five women were widowed and eleven children lost a father in the accident, while several widowed mothers lost their sole support when their sons died. Many of those who survived faced daunting medical bills.

01_frontpage_large.jpg
Front page of the extra edition of the San Luis Obispo County Telegram Tribune, Sunday, October 30, 1960.

Source: https://lib.calpoly.edu/search-and-...ives/university-archives/timeline/1960-crash/

There was a little bit of sloppy reporting there. Robert Kennedy was not the Vice President. He was the Attorney General in the administration of his brother President John F. Kennedy. Lyndon Johnson was the Vice President at the time.

I was looking at the pitching match up for tonight's Baltimore-Yankees game and I noticed that Matt Harvey is pitching tonight for Baltimore. He is now 32 and trying to hold on as a major league pitcher on one of the worst teams in the major leagues. This is him today.

matt-harvey-dumbfounded-over-monthlong-struggles.jpg

Back in 2013, he started the All Star game for the National League and was the young phenom of The Mets. He was in the press for dating the prettiest girls and going to all the sheik events around New York City. I will always remember his photo shoot. That same year of 2013 he was featured in the ESPN Magazine Body Issue, showing off his wares off the field. Success in sports and star power can be fleeting.

matt-harvey-espn-body-issue.jpg

In the first Olympic videos of diving gold with Tom Daley and Matty, most of the attention, camera time and questions were driected towards Tom. And understandably so. In this interview however we get to see the attention focused exclusively on Matty. So it's just a very sweet feel-good moment. :)

I just heard that Yankees catcher, Gary Sanchez tested positive today for COVID. This is in addition to starting pitchers Garret Cole and Jordan Montgomery currently sidelined for the same reason. And this is on top of earlier Judge, Urshella, Torres, and many more including coaches. They have an 85% vaccination rate WHY SO MANY Yankees? I am perplexed.

I was looking at the pitching match up for tonight's Baltimore-Yankees game and I noticed that Matt Harvey is pitching tonight for Baltimore. He is now 32 and trying to hold on as a major league pitcher on one of the worst teams in the major leagues. This is him today.

matt-harvey-dumbfounded-over-monthlong-struggles.jpg

Back in 2013, he started the All Star game for the National League and was the young phenom of The Mets. He was in the press for dating the prettiest girls and going to all the sheik events around New York City. I will always remember his photo shoot. That same year of 2013 he was featured in the ESPN Magazine Body Issue, showing off his wares off the field. Success in sports and star power can be fleeting.

matt-harvey-espn-body-issue.jpg

And when he turned around for a backside pic, he removed the glove!