• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

When Bill de Blasio ran for mayor in early 2013, he vowed to turn the tide on what he described as a “tale of two cities.”

New York’s rich, he said at the time, kept on getting richer while the poor kept getting poorer and something needed to fundamentally change.

—————————————————————————————————————————-

And this situation continues today, not just in New York City, but all across the U.S.A. Our country has so many problems today, and the inequality is one that seems to have no solutions. In so many ways, I am glad that I have already lived the majority of my life and don’t face the issues that young people just starting out today have. The future does not seem bright at all.

Good question Tampa. I found this article from May 4, 2022.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renter-life/average-rent-in-new-york-city

Average Rent in New York City & Rent Price Trends
By: Kimi Kaneshina, Rob Warnock, and Justin Chaplin
May 4, 2022

View attachment 66880

Considering a move to New York? Before you start apartment hunting, learn about the local rental market. Make sure you know the average rent in New York to get your budget started!

Average Rent in New York

The average rent for a New York studio apartment is $3,638
The average rent for a New York 1-bedroom apartment is $4,761
The average rent for a New York 2-bedroom apartment is $6,188
The average rent for a New York 3-bedroom apartment is $6,544

The article goes on to say:

0% of apartments in New York City cost less than $1,000 per month.
2% of apartments in New York City cost between $1,000-$1,999 per month.
7% of apartments in New York City cost between $2,000-$2,999 per month.
90% of apartments in New York City cost over $3,000 per month.

And:

22% of apartments in New York City are studio apartments.
44% of apartments in New York City are 1-bedroom apartments.
22% of apartments in New York City are 2-bedroom apartments.
12% of apartments in New York City are 3-bedroom apartments.

And finally:

What Salary Do You Need to Live in New York?

Using the 30% rule, we can give a rough estimate of the salary needed to rent an apartment in New York. If these numbers look high, remember that a roommate or two can drastically cut down your monthly rent!

If you are renting an average priced studio apartment in New York City, your annual salary should be around $145,520 or higher.
If you are renting an average priced 1-bedroom apartment in New York City, your annual salary should be around $190,440 or higher.
If you are renting an average priced 2-bedroom apartment in New York City, your annual salary should be around $247,520 or higher.
If you are renting an average priced 3-bedroom apartment in New York City, your annual salary should be around $261,760 or higher

Thank you buddy. That's very informative. :)

So since I assume you have a one bedroom, that means that between your social security, your part time job, any loose coins in the sofa and any recyclable plastic bottles and tin cans you can turn in for a modest deposit...that your annual income is north of $190,000 and change. Not bad! hahaha

Thank you buddy. That's very informative. :)

So since I assume you have a one bedroom, that means that between your social security, your part time job, any loose coins in the sofa and any recyclable plastic bottles and tin cans you can turn in for a modest deposit...that your annual income is north of $190,000 and change. Not bad! hahaha
Yes I do live in a one bedroom apartment and no I don’t have an annual income of anywhere near that, but this article does not take into consideration those of us senior citizens living in rent stabilized dwellings.

1A0F86C3-6C5C-493B-8E32-4B079AB3A594.jpg

A very real thing indeed!!!! :thumbup:

Yes I do live in a one bedroom apartment and no I don’t have an annual income of anywhere near that, but this article does not take into consideration those of us senior citizens living in rent stabilized dwellings.

View attachment 66882

A very real thing indeed!!!! :thumbup:

Which you told us recently.

Today is a day when I don’t work and I had a lot of errands including a doctor’s appointment a mile away, and other tasks to accomplish. However I am fortunate that today is a picture perfect June day and it was a pleasure to be outdoors, although I do need a nap now after doing so much walking. lol

I just took this late afternoon pic on my way home. Everything is green and pretty against the blue sky today. :smile:

FB059E78-17C6-4E3C-BA64-C6956C529871.jpg

Yesterday on Friday I had to walk about a mile each way to a doctor’s appointment, and it was humid and sticky and kind of gross outside. Today the sun is shining, the humidity is low and the temperature this morning is 68 and expected to stay in the low 70’s for the entire weekend. What a difference a day makes! :001_smile:

This morning on my short trip outside to the convenience store for my morning newspaper, I took a few pics of this beautiful glorious June day!

DD1A82F1-481A-43F4-8FD9-185237A3B979.jpg

ABCBF501-0361-4124-9015-5DDB11662DE4.jpg

157BA011-B7B6-472D-B0B3-F10C5B245584.jpg

6E6F4614-326D-4AD0-B84C-23485D0F02E8.jpg

0B173213-F7EB-4D3F-BB59-1499BEAD7185.jpg

Yesterday on Friday I had to walk about a mile each way to a doctor’s appointment, and it was humid and sticky and kind of gross outside. Today the sun is shining, the humidity is low and the temperature this morning is 68 and expected to stay in the low 70’s for the entire weekend. What a difference a day makes! :001_smile:

This morning on my short trip outside to the convenience store for my morning newspaper, I took a few pics of this beautiful glorious June day!

View attachment 68115

View attachment 68116

View attachment 68117

View attachment 68118

View attachment 68119

It does look absolutely beautiful there! I have only been through New York twice, never had a proper visit, I was on I95 and it took me an hour to go like 1 mile LOL. The GW bridge was expensive back in 2003 when I went to a friend's wedding in Maryland. Time before that I was 5 and don't remember much, other than a massive pothole my Dad hit in the truck near a bridge LOL

It does look absolutely beautiful there! I have only been through New York twice, never had a proper visit, I was on I95 and it took me an hour to go like 1 mile LOL. The GW bridge was expensive back in 2003 when I went to a friend's wedding in Maryland. Time before that I was 5 and don't remember much, other than a massive pothole my Dad hit in the truck near a bridge LOL
If you ever find yourself in New York City Chac, I’d love to take you on a tour of my beautiful neighborhood and city. New York City does have negatives as any city does, but overall I think we get a bad rap. I love to take folks around to see the sites. Thus far I’ve met up with forumites and former one’s, Peter from Seattle, Rep from Texas and Bart from Brazil to show around the city. Id love to add others to that list. And my tour is free. :biggrin:

P.S. I’ve also personally met the late Betu with Peter in upstate New York, as well as Tampa and Pete from St. Pete, both in Florida.

If you ever find yourself in New York City Chac, I’d love to take you on a tour of my beautiful neighborhood and city. New York City does have negatives as any city does, but overall I think we get a bad rap. I love to take folks around to see the sites. Thus far I’ve met up with forumites and former one’s, Peter from Seattle, Rep from Texas and Bart from Brazil to show around the city. Id love to add others to that list. And my tour is free. :biggrin:

P.S. I’ve also personally met the late Betu with Peter in upstate New York, as well as Tampa and Pete from St. Pete, both in Florida.

I'd love to do that someday also. :) I've only been to NYC properly once. I've also flown through JFK twice. But of course that's not a real visit.

Just so you know as hot as it was the other day in NYC, it was far worse in Chicago as my son told me. It was just too hot for him to finally move east & when it past he was again affected by his chronic condition and had to revise his departure yet again.

I'd love to do that someday also. :) I've only been to NYC properly once. I've also flown through JFK twice. But of course that's not a real visit.
As I’ve told you many times, I would love to give you the best guided tour of New York City, Tampa. It would be my pleasure. :thumbup:

CDE41515-4F1B-4FEF-A0D3-27C1C283124A.jpeg

That's very generous of you Mike! I'd love a tour one day. I'd probably take the Acela in, parking my car would probably be too much of a hassle and expensive LOL

Me thinks there is more to your statement than a guided tour.

This morning on this sunny early summer morning, as I was walking on Montague Street doing some chores, I looked at the historic St. Ann & the Holy Trinity Church, and decided to share some pics here on the forum. The church opened in 1847.

F80F28E9-B879-48CD-8E1D-4987DF4B9C5B.jpg

060E5CD7-0FAE-44BC-94DB-B61BEB747FD2.jpg

4787CFED-7CF3-453D-B5C2-21858F234A5C.jpg

You may notice the flat top on the first pic. It originally had a high spire that was removed around 1887, 40 years after it opened due to instability caused by subway construction. Today the entrance to the R train is below the church.

This is a pic of how it looked in 1868.

D0FA5758-4818-40B6-9B30-BC5D6745B711.jpg

I’ve lived in this neighborhood including my first apartment for close to fifty years, as I moved here in August 1973, a year after graduating from college, but I’ve only started appreciating the architecture and the natural beauty of the harbor in recent years.

Just a quick pic from 8 AM this morning of the green leaves of a tree in the sun on a brownstone around the corner from my building, on a hot sunny June morning. :001_smile:

D64C7936-5BA6-4569-B80A-78953E1F3500.jpg