• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Weather

The late weather has a significant change having the hurricane landing at Ft. Myers well south of Tampa. While Tampa will still gets a good deal of rain, the forecaster described Tampa as "off the hook!" Hopefully this improved forecast will hold for Tampa.

The late weather has a significant change having the hurricane landing at Ft. Myers well south of Tampa. While Tampa will still gets a good deal of rain, the forecaster described Tampa as "off the hook!" Hopefully this improved forecast will hold for Tampa.
Good. Unable to get my news today, site out.

I’ve been watching the extensive coverage of the storm on cable TV all morning and unfortunately as the sun is rising we will first see the devastation and destroyed homes and lives throughout Southeast and central Florida. One of my good friends lives in Orlando and he texted me last night around 7 PM that the electricity went down. They need to conserve their charged iPhones for emergencies, but I can only imagine being in the dark with no air conditioning and no working refrigeration in Florida. Let’s all hope and pray for the safety of all our friends in the path of the storm.

One of the worst aspects of global warming is the warmer temperatures, which leads to more energy. That causes stronger storms, winds & surges as well as far more rain. And ,sadly this is the tragic result we see today. I sincerely hope the people affected survive unharmed and the damages will be less than feared.

I did hear from Tampa earlier today. Both he and his mom are fine. He said he will be joining us back in forum land later tonight. But the important thing is that he and his family are all doing just fine.:)

I did hear from Tampa earlier today. Both he and his mom are fine. He said he will be joining us back in forum land later tonight. But the important thing is that he and his family are all doing just fine.:)
Great News!

Hey All,

Sorry I didn't manage to get back on last night. We had a lot of family drama going on (related to the hurricane) and I was really wiped out from all the hurricane prep I had done. (Even though in the end it wasn't needed.)

So... In Pinellas county, west of Tampa, we did very well. Here Ian was a dry storm. A lot of wind and at times some pelting rain. But less rain than we often get from just regular summer afternoon thunderstorms. The winds knocked down tree branches and a a few large limbs in places. Other places did get some downed trees. At its peak over 30% of the county was without electricity. As of this morning about 13% of customers are waiting for power to be restored. Neither my mom or I, or my aunt across town lost power. So for us Ian was just a windy stormy day where you could hear the gusts beating against the windows.

I'm sure you have seen how awful it was down south of us in Ft. Meyers, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Cape Coral, Sanibel Island, Captiva Island, Naples and so on. Wednesday night we were trying to reach other family members who live in Cape Coral. But all the calls took 10 seconds or more of no ringing before they went directly to voicemail. So that meant to us that they probably had no electricity and that the cell towers were down. It wasn't until late last night that I was able to get a call through and talk to my aunt down there. Her home is able to get cell phone reception finally. Many others don't have phone service of either landline or cell. They didn't get the horrible storm surge in either of the family's homes. Thank God. But both households are without electricty and water. Fortuantely both houses have generators to power some appliances. Their houses took a beating with torn off roof shingles and torn off siding shingles. So far they've had no water leaks in the roofs. They had hurricane resistant windows and hurricane shutters in places that held up well.

My cousin's home had raw sewage back up out the toilet and all over the bathroom floor. And the screened in patio over his pool is a tangled mess of scrap metal. He has a few trees in his back yard that are toppled over. My aunt can only flush the toilet by using water she saved from before the storm and pouring it into the back tank. None of them are able to shower. But at least they're all alive and safe. :) They're much much luckier than their neighbors in other parts of the city and in other surrounding cities.

Anothor aunt and uncle have a mobile home in Ft. Meyers. Their son (my cousin) has one too in the same co-op park. None of them live therer year round. They do the snowbird thing. My cousin bought his as just a future retirement getaway. So all of them were safely up north for the hurricane. But they've gotten word from the year-round neighbors that just about every mobile home in there is destroyed.

I also have a cousin in North Carolina whose home will fall in a cone of possible inland flash flooding. So Ian is still actively causing havoc in my extended family.

I feel so lucky but so bad at the same time compared to people who lost their lives or all of their worldly possessions. All of that was supposed to come to us. It would have been a disaster here too. My heart goes out to all of them in the Ft. Meyers area.

We had the opposite of storm surge here. The counter-clockwise winds pushed the water out of the bay and out and away from the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico by me. Some of you may have seen footage of Tampa along the beatiful waterfront area along Bayshore Boulevard in a ritzy part of town near Tampa General Hospital...where you could see huge patches of land along the bay where the ocean usually sits. The mayor of Tampa is also the former Chief of the Tampa Police Department. She's also a woman. And she's an out lesbian. :) So the Mayor of Tampa (Jane Castor) in a statement of humorous sarcasm asked rhetorically something like, "Can Tampa please have its water back?" haha

Last edited:
Hey All,

Sorry I didn't manage to get back on last night. We had a lot of family drama going on (related to the hurricane) and I was really wiped out from all the hurricane prep I had done. (Even though in the end it wasn't needed.)

So... In Pinellas county, west of Tampa, we did very well. Here Ian was a dry storm. A lot of wind and at times some pelting rain. But less rain than we often get from just regular summer afternoon thunderstorms. The winds knocked down tree branches and a a few large limbs in places. Other places did get some downed trees. At its peak over 30% of the county was without electricity. As of this morning about 13% of customers are waiting for power to be restored. Neither my mom or I, or my aunt across town lost power. So for us Ian was just a windy stormy day where you could hear the gusts beating against the windows.

I'm sure you have seen how awful it was down south of us in Ft. Meyers, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Cape Coral, Sanibel Island, Captiva Island, Naples and so on. Wednesday night we were trying to reach other family members who live in Cape Coral. But all the calls took 10 seconds or more of no ringing before they went directly to voicemail. So that meant to us that they probably had no electricity and that the cell towers were down. It wasn't until late last night that I was able to get a call through and talk to my aunt down there. Her home is able to get cell phone reception finally. Many others don't have phone service of either landline or cell. They didn't get the horrible storm surge in either of the family's homes. Thank God. But both households are without electricty and water. Fortuantely both houses have generators to power some appliances. Their houses took a beating with torn off roof shingles and torn off siding shingles. So far they've had no water leaks in the roofs. They had hurricane resistant windows and hurricane shutters in places that held up well.

My cousin's home had raw sewage back up out the toilet and all over the bathroom floor. And the screened in patio over his pool is a tangled mess of scrap metal. He has a few trees in his back yard that are toppled over. My aunt can only flush the toilet by using water she saved from before the storm and pouring it into the back tank. None of them are able to shower. But at least they're all alive and safe. :) They're much much luckier than their neighbors in other parts of the city and in other surrounding cities.

Anothor aunt and uncle have a mobile home in Ft. Meyers. Their son (my cousin) has one too in the same co-op park. None of them live therer year round. They do the snowbird thing. My cousin bought his as just a future retirement getaway. So all of them were safely up north for the hurricane. But they've gotten word from the year-round neighbors that just about every mobile home in there is destroyed.

I also have a cousin in North Carolina whose home will fall in a cone of possible inland flash flooding. So Ian is still actively causing havoc in my extended family.

I feel so lucky but so bad at the same time compared to people who lost their lives or all of their worldly possessions. All of that was supposed to come to us. It would have been a disaster here too. My heart goes out to all of them in the Ft. Meyers area.

We had the opposite of storm surge here. The counter-clockwise winds pushed the water out of the bay and out and away from the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico by me. Some of you may have seen footage of Tampa along the beatiful waterfront area along Bayshore Boulevard in a ritzy part of town near Tampa General Hospital...where you could see huge patches of land along the bay where the ocean usually sits. The mayor of Tampa is also the former Chief of the Tampa Police Department. She's also a woman. And she's an out lesbian. :) So the Mayor of Tampa (Jane Castor) in a statement of humorous sarcasm asked rhetorically something like, "Can Tampa please have its water back?" haha

so glad to hear you and family are OK.

Sadly there is a big lesson here. First never live in areas vulnerable to weather disasters such as Ian. And if you do, live in structures built to protect you from such storms. And most important listen to the warnings issued and follow them. Most of the tragic deaths could have been avoided had people just listened. So sad. I know it is not easy to pick up and leave but it is better than what happened.

Hey All,

Thank you for your detailed report and so glad that your family did reasonably well. Years ago I visited my grandmother and her sister for a week at their home in Punta Gorda, and I recall how low above sea level that entire pretty town is. They are long gone and their home was sold, but having seen Punta Gorda I fear that town may have suffered greatly. Re the hurricane winds spreading the waters of Tampa Bay, in the Tampa houses of worship this weekend, besides thanksgiving that the hurricane landed well south of Tampa, I predict a lot of analogies to Moses and the parting of the Red Sea!

Thank you for your detailed report and so glad that your family did reasonably well. Years ago I visited my grandmother and her sister for a week at their home in Punta Gorda, and I recall how low above sea level that entire pretty town is. They are long gone and their home was sold, but having seen Punta Gorda I fear that town may have suffered greatly. Re the hurricane winds spreading the waters of Tampa Bay, in the Tampa houses of worship this weekend, besides thanksgiving that the hurricane landed well south of Tampa, I predict a lot of analogies to Moses and the parting of the Red Sea!
All of Florida has very low elevation & is subject to flooding.

Re the hurricane winds spreading the waters of Tampa Bay, in the Tampa houses of worship this weekend, besides thanksgiving that the hurricane landed well south of Tampa, I predict a lot of analogies to Moses and the parting of the Red Sea!
Right?? haha

All of Florida has very low elevation & is subject to flooding.
That's true. But it's so beautiful and offers such a great lifestyle, that 1,100 people per week move into the state. Though that number will surely decline and slow down for a little while after Ian.

That's true. But it's so beautiful and offers such a great lifestyle, that 1,100 people per week move into the state. Though that number will surely decline and slow down for a little while after Ian.
Unfortunately there is a saturation limit for areas that are low lying & when they are surpassed you get into trouble. In addition people ignore warning not to settle in areas subject to frequent flooding.

Hey Everyone!

I'm sorry I've been away so long. I haven't forgotten all of you. Just been busy with life. I'm looking forward to catching up on the last few updates. But more on that later in different threads.

I'm very aware that we have almost a sure thing hurricane on the way to us here in the Tampa Bay area. Of course they're predicting the full landfall to be north of us at the moment. But that can change in only a few National Hurricane Center daily updates of any change in track direction or intensity. My greetings and well wishes go out to any other Floridians here in the forum. Including Mark, David and Eddie of course. haha It could be a very rough ride this week.

I've been stocking up on non-persishable groceries and other hurricane supplies. Making other household preparations, etc. I live only about a quarter mile from the ocean. I could walk to the water's edge in about 15 minutes. And I can see it from my 8th floor window. So the threat of strom surge and flooding rain is a pretty big concern. ((Even if it isn't a huge wind event for us.) I'll be moving my car much farther away from the water.

Have a good night everyone! :)

Yes I heard the emergency daclaration mentioned yesterday, my thoughts are wiTh U.

Hey Everyone!

I'm sorry I've been away so long. I haven't forgotten all of you. Just been busy with life. I'm looking forward to catching up on the last few updates. But more on that later in different threads.

I'm very aware that we have almost a sure thing hurricane on the way to us here in the Tampa Bay area. Of course they're predicting the full landfall to be north of us at the moment. But that can change in only a few National Hurricane Center daily updates of any change in track direction or intensity. My greetings and well wishes go out to any other Floridians here in the forum. Including Mark, David and Eddie of course. haha It could be a very rough ride this week.

I've been stocking up on non-persishable groceries and other hurricane supplies. Making other household preparations, etc. I live only about a quarter mile from the ocean. I could walk to the water's edge in about 15 minutes. And I can see it from my 8th floor window. So the threat of strom surge and flooding rain is a pretty big concern. ((Even if it isn't a huge wind event for us.) I'll be moving my car much farther away from the water.

Have a good night everyone! :)
Great to see you back on the forum buddy. Although sorry that the latest hurricane is on track to your city…….again. You and your family are in my thoughts that no severe damage or harm comes your way.