• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Real Sports - Athletes and Teams that we follow and admire.

Thanks Tampa for that unusual play during the Brewers - Nats game. I hadn’t seen it or heard about it. And the Field of Dreams game was very special to anyone who ever watched the movie or loved baseball. Great clips. Thank you Tampa.

Thanks Tampa for that unusual play during the Brewers - Nats game. I hadn’t seen it or heard about it. And the Field of Dreams game was very special to anyone who ever watched the movie or loved baseball. Great clips. Thank you Tampa.

Thanks Mikey!

My pleasyre. I was glad to have such a suitable place to share it. :)

Yes Mikey I am always glad to read your posts they enrich me.

Not a Jeter fan. But maybe. haha
Speaking of Derek Jeter, his year delayed Hall of Fame induction will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 8, at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, New York. I have been there twice and much like The Field of Dreams game, this is a most picturesque little town well off the beaten path in upstate New York, but if you are even remotely a baseball fan, it is a must see spot to visit.

maxresdefault.jpg

Cooperstown%20aerial_435-2013-13_NBL.jpg

Downtown-Cooperstown-NY.jpg

baseball-hall-of-fame-cooperstown.jpg

More on Derek as his big day approaches! But a visit to Cooperstown is well worth the time!!!!

derek-jeter-8.jpg

Mikey thanks for the pics, my travel days are long gone!

Derek Jeter "Hit" by Pitch: Savvy Play or Cheap Trick?

BY STEPHEN SMITH

SEPTEMBER 17, 2010 / 10:37 AM / CBS NEWS

BY STEPHEN SMITH

SEPTEMBER 17, 2010 / 10:37 AM / CBS NEWS

Derek Jeter.jpg
Shortstop Derek Jeter #2 (R) of the New York Yankees is examined by the team trainer, with manager Joe Girardi looking on, after he is allegedly hit by a pitch during the game against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field on September 15, 2010 in St. Petersburg, Florida.
(CBS/AP) Derek Jeter has a bit part in a box-office hit, and he's putting those acting skills to good use.

The New York Yankees captain, with a cameo in the Will Ferrell comedy "The Other Guys," gave an Oscar-worthy performance by pretending to get hit by a pitch in a pennant race game Wednesday night.

Howling, hopping and hurting — seemingly, anyway — Jeter even got the team trainer to examine his left arm. And then the All-Star often hailed as a model of good sportsmanship took his base.

More like stole it, fans in Tampa Bay hollered.

"Jeter cheater!" they chanted.

Replays clearly showed what really happened: Chad Qualls' fastball squarely struck the knob of Jeter's bat, not him. But Major League Baseball doesn't use instant replay in these situations.

For more than a century, ballplayers have tried to bend the rules. Pitchers throw spitballs, outfielders fake catches on balls that bounce, shortstops make phantom tags. This isn't golf, where players are expected to call penalties on themselves.

Coming off the Steroids Era, where cheating often meant illegal performance-enhancing drugs, some actually found a charm in Jeter's old-fashioned chicanery.

Yet seeing the squeaky-clean Jeter involved in Yankee hanky-panky was startling. So was his response. Asked where the ball hit, he readily admitted his sleight of hand.

"The bat," he said, without apology. "It's part of the game."

To his legion of admirers, Derek's deke was a savvy play. The bat flew, he spun around, doubled over and convinced the home-plate umpire he'd been plunked. He wound up scoring a key run in the seventh inning.

To Jeter's detractors, it was a cheap trick.

"I would never do that," Tampa Bay Rays catcher John Jaso said.

Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon argued so much he got ejected, though he praised Jeter after the Rays rallied past the Yankees 4-3 into first place in the AL East.

"There's several thespians throughout baseball," Maddon said. "I thought Derek did a great job, and I applaud it, because I wish our guys would do the same thing."

Both the Yankees and Rays were off Thursday, but Jeter Theater played throughout the majors.

On the Cincinnati Reds' telecast of their game against Arizona — a matchup with no direct connection to what occurred at Tropicana Field — there was a fan text poll with this question: Are you OK with the Derek Jeter play? Fans were split on whether it was gamesmanship or farce.

Dodgers manager Joe Torre applauded Jeter.

"Hell, yeah, he did the right thing," Torre, Jeter's longtime manager with the Yankees, said in San Francisco. "It's not like running a red light. Stuff you can do out on the field, whether you can get away with it, it's not being immoral. We allow people to steal second base. Anything you can get away with is fine. To me, that's above board. It's not like he's loading his bat."

Football players, NASCAR drivers and sportscasters alike weighed in with different opinions on ESPN's SportsCenter.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/derek-jeter-hit-by-pitch-savvy-play-or-cheap-trick/

Last edited:
Hmmm how delicious a Mikey Tampie brawl how baseball is that among fans.

Hmmm how delicious a Mikey Tampie brawl how baseball is that among fans.
Ehh. Not really. haha

I have nothing against the NYY's. But I have a memory like an elephant of Jeter's cheeky and brazen misbehavior on my team's home field in St. Pete. But the way I saw it at the time was, if he was really such a greatly skilled and talented player...and the Rays were truly the weaker, sub-par team compared to the greatness of his team (Jeter's)... Then he should be able to rely on his own skill in the game (if he truly had any) in order to advance or score...rather than resorting to selling a fake injury just to make it to first base.

So I was just explaining my own personal non-fandom of Jeter. lol Having said all that, I don't think that one incident should tarnish the totality of anyone's career. Including Jeter. If citizens of NYC love him, that's fine. :)

Last edited:
Ehh. Not really. haha

I have nothing against the NYY's. But I have a memory like an elephant of Jeter's cheeky and brazen misbehavior on my team's home field in St. Pete. But the way I saw it at the time was, if he was really such a greatly skilled and talented player...and the Rays were truly the weaker, sub-par team compared to the greatness of his team (Jeter's)... Then he should be able to rely on his own skill in the game (if he truly had any) in order to advance or score...rather than resorting to selling a fake injury just to make it to first base.

So I was just explaining my own personal non-fandom of Jeter. lol Having said all that, I don't think that one incident should tarnish the totality of anyone's career. Including Jeter. If citizens of NYC love him, that's fine. :)

Just said in jest!

Goes to show life can be stranger and more fabulous than fiction!

Has any one else noted that NE might have a replacement for Brady. Also seems the US Open may have to delay playing for today.

Ehh. Not really. haha

Tampa, I understand that you followed The Rays closely that year and that game left an indelible impression on you. However, Jeter played 20 years in the majors. was a 14 time All Star and a first ballot electee to The Hall of Fame. Moreover, he was considered one of the "good guys", always good to the fans, signed autographs for the kids, never involved in any off the field altercations or any drug use. He is one of the squeakiest clean athletes I can remmeber. He is the last person to be remembered for anything unprofessional.

From reading your story of that game, I do vaguely remember it as it was one of 2,747 games that he played. In the article they mentioned that faking getting hot by a pitch is more "gamemanship" than cheating. It's been done going back to Babe Ruth right through today. Keep in mind that Gaylord Perry is in the Hall of Fame and he is best known for his spitball which is an illegal pitch. Check out this article about Perry.

https://www.cooperstowncred.com/gaylord-perry-cooperstown-spitballer-allegedly/

GAYLORD-PERRY-GIANTS-MLB-COM.png

"Gaylord Perry had an extraordinary 22-year career in Major League Baseball, pitching 5,350 innings for eight different teams. When he retired, Perry was 11th on the all-time list with 314 wins and had the third most strikeouts (3,534), behind just Steve Carlton and Nolan Ryan.

Perry is best known for throwing a spitball, or did he? Throughout his career, the 6’4″ right-hander toyed with opposing hitters by moving his fingers all over his cap, mouth and face. A rule implemented before the 1968 season forbade pitchers from touching their mouths on the mound but Perry found a way to keep throwing a moistened ball, or so he wanted everyone to believe.

In 1974, Perry released a book in which he described the various ways he would put moisture on the ball. But, of course, that was all in the past.

“I reckon I tried everything on the old apple but salt and pepper and chocolate sauce topping… Of course, I’m reformed now. I’m a pure law-abiding citizen.”

— Gaylord Perry (Me and the Spitter, An Autobiographical Confession)"

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and former Yankee Alex Rodriguez injected steroids into their bodies. That is cheating and they will probably never get into the Hall of Fame, but leaning into a pitch or when a ball nicks your bat and you feign that it hit you is very different. Derek Jeter was a credit to baseball and the New York Yankees.