• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Members favourite music

Queen is always looking for new ways to stay connected to its fans. Last year it put out a call to submit a video for "Don't Stop Me Now". There were 10,000 submissions. They were cut individually to make up this video of fans singing and dancing to the song. I would have loved to watched the videographer at work. Hope you enjoy this.

Thanks for that Stowie, I hadn't seen that.

I was listening to "Breakfast With the Beatles" earlier this morning and this fine song was played in tribute to the space launch yesterday in Florida.

update_acousic_fire.jpg

One for Mike for his birthday

Thank you Jon. I couldn't think of a more special song for me on my birthday. I clearly remember that early February Sunday night in 1964 when The Beatles made their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. Little thirteen year old "mikeyank" was as into John, Paul, George and Ringo as any of the teen-bopper girls in the audience. Great night, great group, great song. Thanks for the memories Jon!!! :thumbup1:

Song to Commemorate D-Day

With this being the 76th Anniversary of D-Day, I was thinking about what war time music I'd choose. After some thought I chose "The White Cliffs of Dover" because it was a song popular among troops from all the allied countries who had been in Britain for over a year training for D-Day. Written in 1941 after the 1940 Battle of Britain when Britain stood alone against the Nazis, it was recorded in 1942 by the great Dame Vera Lynn. The song became popular in many parts of the allied world. In the U,S. there were covers, but Lynn's version was said to be the most popular. It was the Queen Mother's favorite song and in 1995 celebrating the 50th anniversary of V-E Day, there was a big celebration at the gates of Buckingham Palace where the Queen Mum was on the Balcony with the Queen and Princess Margaret. And Dame Vera was on hand to serenade the Queen Mother with this song.

Stowe, that’s a great song in remembrance of D Day. My favorite WWII song is a little more bawdy. Lili Marlene, later popularized by one of my favorite old singers Marlene Dietrich. It was a German song that was adopted by the British and American troops and said to be the only song sung by all three in the European theater.

Stowe, that’s a great song in remembrance of D Day. My favorite WWII song is a little more bawdy. Lili Marlene, later popularized by one of my favorite old singers Marlene Dietrich. It was a German song that was adopted by the British and American troops and said to be the only song sung by all three in the European theater.

Oh my God, Rep, I love, love, love, Lili Marlene and only as sung my one of my most idolized female actors and singers the great Marlene Dietrich. I have a little story about that. Back in the 60's while in college I worked part time at one of the major department stores in Baltimore, The May Company. On Saturday sometimes I use to float to different departments to fill in at lunch time, etc. I got to know well the lady who was in charge of the record department, Mrs. Williamson. I asked her if she could order Lili Marlene in the original German, It took her a while to find it but she did. And I use to play it frequently. But sadly somewhere between all the moves I made throughout my business career it got misplaced.

I loved the scene in Judgement at Nuremberg when Marlene sings it and she explains how the original German is much sadder than the English translations.

But that you for your post, because it brought back some pleasant memories for me today.

Last edited:
Oh my God, Rep, I love, love, love, Lili Marlene and only as sung my one of my most idolized female actors and singers the great Marlene Dietrich. I have a little story about that. Back in the 60's while in college I worked part time at one of the major department stores in Baltimore, The May Company. On Saturday sometimes I use to float to different departments to fill in at lunch time, etc. I got to know well the lady who was in charge of the record department, Mrs. Williamson. I asked her if she could order Lili Marlene in the original German, It took her a while to find it but she did. And I use to play it frequently. But sadly somewhere between all the moves I made throughout my business career it got misplaced.

I loved the scene in Judgement at Nuremberg when Marlene sings it and she explains how the original German is much sadder than the English translations.

But that you for your post, because it brought back some pleasant memories for me today.

I am also a big Dietrich fan and I agree the German version is sadder. Here is one of my favorites especially the introduction by Noel Coward. Everything seems to sound better in French. I wish I was more proficient.

My absolute favorite Dietrich song.

Stowe I guess we are similar old soles. When I was a kid I was such a nerd I didn’t listen to popular music much as a kid. I loved to listen to a collection of 45’s that my parents had on my record player. These were hits from the 40’s and 50’s like Stardust, Blue Moon, Moon River and my favorite You Belong to Me, sung by Jo Stafford. I also was a huge fan of the Great Gatsby with Robert Redford. I fell in love with Irvin Berlin’s What’ll I Do. On one of the most romantic evenings of my life I walked into the Royal Orleans in New Orleans for dinner with my first boyfriend who I was madly in love with, a dark suited man at a grand piano was playing What’ll I Do, in the long empty marble hallway leading to the Rib Room, it was perfect.

Chances are that no one here is going to relate to this post. However over the last few months I've been delving into the career of the Nobel Prize winning Bob Dylan. This morning I found this great video of a very young Dylan performing this iconic song.

Just one more Dylan song for today, I promise, as I am going into work later and will be away from my computer. lol

This brilliant song was written in 1964 and this is his 1988 performance. But please read the lyrics as posted on the screen and watch the video. It is a brilliant take on the eternal plight of mankind for the young to fight and die in wars for what reason?????

That was great. Thanks for posting! I couldn’t help but notice one if the hottest guys was from Austin Texas. Just down the road from me.