• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Members favourite music

joninliverton

BSB Addict
Reaction score
Hi dudes,

I love music and although I play acoustic guitar (badly) I prefer listening to my collection as well as my dad and uncles.

My musical range goes from A to Z ranging from all types of music, be it pop, rock, country, folk or classical. Does anyone else have such a diverse range ?

Hi dudes,

I love music and although I play acoustic guitar (badly) I prefer listening to my collection as well as my dad and uncles.

My musical range goes from A to Z ranging from all types of music, be it pop, rock, country, folk or classical. Does anyone else have such a diverse range ?
Actually, as mentioned with our previous Woodstock discussion, I am a child of the 60's, and my favorite music is still Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Dylan, Doors, Who, Simon & Garfunkle, CSN, CSNY, etc etc.

Actually, as mentioned with our previous Woodstock discussion, I am a child of the 60's, and my favorite music is still Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Dylan, Doors, Who, Simon & Garfunkle, CSN, CSNY, etc etc.

I cannot fault you there Mike, but I do like some modern stuff too. Out of the above though my fav USA/Canada act has to be the great Neil Young. A lot of controversy over the years but he's a good sort considering all the hard times he's gone through with his kid and life in general. I do like to look beyond the ear and to the bios.... it's all part of lifes rich tapestry. xx

Jon, like you, I have eclectic tastes in music. I'm a rocker always, but also listen to just about any kind of music you can think of. I used to go to tons of concerts. From rockers, to country. The Grateful Dead was an interesting experience. I went to a Loretta Lynn concert once, too! LOL! Saw Tina Turner, too! I think I smiled through her whole show! :biggrin:

I have satellite radio in my vehicle, and have access to over a hundred radio stations worldwide. It is usually set on Area. Groove and Trance music. Go figure. LOL!

I'm also a huge fan of Il Divo. A popera group that has four beautiful men who are also extremely good singers. Sebastian :drool: and Urs sigh........ are so hot! :cool:

Radiohead, Green Day, R.E.M., that thing of Madonna's with the crows, Franz Ferdinand, Pachelbel's Canon (yeah I know), all of Mozart and Bach except St. Matthew, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Leadbelly, Buddha-Bar, Klezma fusion, Orchestra della Piazza Vittoria, Portuguese Fado, Billie Holiday, The Flower Duet from Delibes's Lakmé, The Massed Voices of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (yeah why not), The Eagles, Bobby Dylan up till 1969, my friend Joan Baez ditto, Joe Cocker especially You Can Leave Your Hat On, Baby in the Bubble Paul Simon, Talking Heads, Christmas Carols, Huge Male Choral groups especially Welsh and Russian, Al Bowlly, Plainsong and Gregorian Chant, some Chinese traditional music before 1950, Coldplay, early Debbie Harry punk, Chillout, girls with tobacco voices like Kim Carnes esp. Bette Davis Eyes.

And then there's Akim Camara at three
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN2SQ4m7M04

Slim, You sure know what you like :)

Radiohead, Green Day, R.E.M., that thing of Madonna's with the crows, Franz Ferdinand, Pachelbel's Canon (yeah I know), all of Mozart and Bach except St. Matthew, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Leadbelly, Buddha-Bar, Klezma fusion, Orchestra della Piazza Vittoria, Portuguese Fado, Billie Holiday, The Flower Duet from Delibes's Lakmé, The Massed Voices of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (yeah why not), The Eagles, Bobby Dylan up till 1969, my friend Joan Baez ditto, Joe Cocker especially You Can Leave Your Hat On, Baby in the Bubble Paul Simon, Talking Heads, Christmas Carols, Huge Male Choral groups especially Welsh and Russian, Al Bowlly, Plainsong and Gregorian Chant, some Chinese traditional music before 1950, Coldplay, early Debbie Harry punk, Chillout, girls with tobacco voices like Kim Carnes esp. Bette Davis Eyes.

And then there's Akim Camara at three
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN2SQ4m7M04

Wow lots there Slim, so here we go:

AC/DC, Bon Jovi, CSNY, Fleetwood Mac especially their early stuff, Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, Catatonia, Blondie, Black Eyed Peas, Joe Cocker, most Motown stuff, George Michael, Queen, Communards, the list goes on and I have to get up to shower. xx

Slim, You sure know what you like :)

Would you and I be able to do a 3 day roadtrip together with that stuff on the sound system, or do you more or less hate my whole list lol?

What's your list then if you don't like mine? I'll listen to your music.:thumbup:

Hi dudes,

Absolutly Jon thats me to a tee but sadly I dont play anything but wish I did.

My first love music wise is prog rock. Old Genesis, King Crimson, Marillion etc. I also love Nirvana, Nick Cave, Green Day, most classical and Broadway shows. Okay, I'm kidding about that last one (or am I?).

Been listening to a lot of Fish's solo stuff recently and really, really love his last College Dudes 13th Star.

Has anyone heard a groupd called Archetecture in Helsinki I am really liking them

I luv classical, rock and maybe a whole lot of western but when I go bar hopping - its DISCO! White, black anykind of disco that will make me dance till my feet fall off. When I'm on the treadmill, I listen to disco to get my feet running and sweat flowing from my forehead. After an hour, I feel refreshed and ready to rule the world. Powerful stuff, Disco.

Jon - Thanks for starting this post. I've thought about starting something like this but haven't had the time. I have always loved music and been around people who can play, but I can't play a note myself. I am mostly a clasic rock kind of guy with music from the '60's to the '80's. I guess some of my all time favorite artist are The Alan Parsons Project and Bob Seger. I've been working the last couple of years to build up my iTunes, so here's a small sample going alphabetically:

ABBA, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Alan Parsons Project, America, B-52's, Beatles, Billy Idol, Billy Squier, Blondie, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Bob Seger, BOC, Boston, Bruce Springsteen, Cheap Trick, Chicago, The Clash, CCR, Deep Purple, Death Cab for Cutie, Deep Purple, Delbert McClinton, Dire Straights, Don Henley, Doobie Brothers,...

Anyway, that's just through the 'D's on the iPhone. Since the late '80's, I pretty much stopped listening to music radio and switched over to talk radio. I've been interested to find out if there is anything made this milinium which I may like.

One late night on cable, I came across an MTV station which was actually playing music videos and heard I will possess your heart by Death Cab for Cutie. I really enjoyed the song and purchased it online. Another group I had heard some songs from was Black Eyed Peas. I've enjoyed what I heard so far. Someone on Facebook had posted this video and I thought is was neat to watch (I've got a feeling). Of all things, it was on Oprah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvljD0toJmU

Most recently, I saw on BBA (BBC America), Jamie Cullum as a guest on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross. I had never heard of him, but apparently, he's a very popular artist (and not too bad looking, either). He apparently plays mostly jazz, but does his twist on the music. Looking at youtube, it looks like his live perfomaces have a little bit of everything.

Here's one song (or really three songs) (broken into two parts) which I though was great to watch and listen to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzjuYH4QkU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0lXY8AWO_A&feature=related

and here's one which shows more of his jazz style (Singing in the rain and umbrella):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61tOzOUguF4

Anyway, I'm also very interested in any music the las 10-20 years which you might think is worth a listen. Been attemting to broaden my horizons and all that 'stuff'.

Tori Amos, PJ Harvey, Portishead, Bjork, Clover, Dido, Fiona Apple, VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk, Curve, Sneaker Pimps, Hooverphonic, Charlotte Martin, Highspire, Mazzy Star, Ivy, Airlock, Tricky, Massive Attack, Eminem, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Beth Gibbons, Rob Zombie, Beth Orton, Citizen Cope, Daft Punk, De/Vision, Flunk, Lily Allen, Lisa Germano, One Eskimo, Rachael Yamagata, san.drine, Sia, the Creatures, the FLIR, Within Temptation......eh, i'll stop now.

Like Jon, I'd like to dedicate this song to Dustin/Andrew's memory, it's Beautiful by Marillion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_GzPCJWTmE

Here are the lyrics as well.

Everybody knows that we live in a world where they
give bad names to beautiful things
Everybody knows that we live in a world where we don't
give beautiful things a second glance
Heaven only knows that we live in a world where what
we call beautiful is just something on sale
People laughing behind their hands while the fragile
and the sensitive are given no chance

And the leaves turn from red to brown
To be trodden down
To be trodden down
And the leaves turn from red to brown
Fall to the ground
Fall to the ground

We don't have to live in a world where we give bad
names to beautiful things
We should live in a beautiful world
We should give beautiful a second glance

And the leaves fall from red to brown
To be trodden down
Trodden down
And the leaves turn green to red to brown
Fall to the ground
And get kicked around

You strong enough to be..
Have you the courage to be..
Have you the faith to be..
Honest enough to say..
Don't have to be the same..
Don't have to be this way
C'mon and sign your name
You wild enough to remain beautiful?
Beautiful

All the leaves turn from red to brown
To be trodden down
Trodden down
And we fall green to red to brown
Fall to the ground
To be kicked around

You strong enough to be..
Why don't you stand up and say
Give yourself a break
They laugh at you anyway
So why don't you stand up and be
Beautiful

Nice words Scott C but Marillion were not the same when Fish left, so it doesn't have the same meaning. Sowwy

You'll get no argument from me on that; the photo of Fish and myself on my member page shows that.

I will say, the sentiments of this song aren't diminished simply because it wasn't written by Fish. You do a disservice to what I was trying to express by saying that and it wasn't necessary.