• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Members favourite music

Thanks, Ambi. Those links will give me something to listen to while I am cooking dinner today. In reference to the first link you posted, I met Diane Bush when she was in concert in my home town. I bought one of her tapes and she signed the insert for me. I have also seen the organ in the video on one of my trips to Fort Lauderdale.

Have a great Sunday.

Kisses, Louis!!!

"A" XOXOXOXOXO

I know halloween is over but I just thought I'd post this rather haunting song, which of course I love

Thanks, Jon - I always loved this song, but didn't know who played it. (I am very rock-challenged ;-)

"A" XOXOXOXOXO

I posted another Rod Stewart song on Danleeh's thread, but it made me think of this song, (which I'm sure I've posted once or twice before on this 120 page thread), but it is a song that Rod wrote and performed and released back in 1976, the true story of the killing of a gay man who Rod knew in New York City from back in his Faces days, who was killed by a "Jersey gang" just because he was gay.

If your not familiar with the song, I do suggest you listen carefully as I think it's a great song.

LOL Ambi the pacifist.

A pacifist - who. . . ME??? Surely not. I just like a lot of different music, that's all. My Dear Old Dad loves bluegrass, country, and the big-band classics of the 1930's and 1940's. My late Mother loved Beethoven, and Scottish folk-songs. My sister is an opera coach, and teaches the history of song at one of the best music-schools here in the arctic. And I grew up as a little chorister in church, and sang Faure and Durufle, in the university choir.

"A" ;-))) XOXOXOXOXO

"I've looked at life from both sides, now" ~ Joni Mitchell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbn6a0AFfnM

A pacifist - who. . . ME??? Surely not. I just like a lot of different music, that's all. My Dear Old Dad loves bluegrass, country, and the big-band classics of the 1930's and 1940's. My late Mother loved Beethoven, and Scottish folk-songs. My sister is an opera coach, and teaches the history of song at one of the best music-schools here in the arctic. And I grew up as a little chorister in church, and sang Faure and Durufle, in the university choir.

"A" ;-))) XOXOXOXOXO

"I've looked at life from both sides, now" ~ Joni Mitchell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbn6a0AFfnM
I agree Ambi, as Jon started this thread, naming it "Members favourite music", and so I like everyone to post their own particular "favourites", even if they are not mine. I like this as being an "equal opportunity music thread". :001_cool:

Thank you, Mikey for pointing that out. Part of my decision to post the music I favored was based on Jon's original statement when he started this thread.

I quote, "Hi dudes,

I love music and although I play acoustic guitar (badly) I prefer listening to my collection as well as my dad and uncles.

My musical range goes from A to Z ranging from all types of music, be it pop, rock, country, folk or classical. Does anyone else have such a diverse range ?"

I do not refer to my choice of music as "church" music. It is "classical" music written for the organ.

However, No worries. I do not plan on posting anymore of these on this thread.

Peace to all,

Louis

I posted another Rod Stewart song on Danleeh's thread, but it made me think of this song, (which I'm sure I've posted once or twice before on this 120 page thread), but it is a song that Rod wrote and performed and released back in 1976, the true story of the killing of a gay man who Rod knew in New York City from back in his Faces days, who was killed by a "Jersey gang" just because he was gay.

If your not familiar with the song, I do suggest you listen carefully as I think it's a great song.

Beautiful song mike. Big old sissy I am brought a tear.
Why does Rod Stewart remind of are jon ???
Ha Ha After all these years finally figured out color and size...

FFS Louis grow up..

Thanks, Jon, Sorry, I don't know what "FFS" stands for. As for growing up, I am old enough to be your grandfather. How about some respect for your elders.

Here is a video of my Number 1 favorite male singer today. I want this sung at my funeral when my time comes.

Oh, I almost forgot to add. . .

When I went to university, I befriended a guitar student whom everyone called "Captain Neon", because he habitually wore a blue-velvet smoking-jacket, orange pants, and a top hat. He was a devotee of prog-rock, with a particular fondness for King Crimson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAAqAnCBNKQ (BTW, I think the drummer in that video is SOOOO HOT); and Frank Zappa (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crh9Kjr1fU4 )

But Captain Neon, who helmed a rock band back in the day, came to university because he wanted to build his chops by learning classical guitar. So I listened to endless hours of his practising Hector Villa-Lobos, while I sipped his Gyokuro Imperial tea, and scarfed his Peek Freans. (Captain Neon was hungry for an audience, and I love cookies, so it all worked out well. He also had a passion for Japanese women, and ultimately moved to Tokyo, permanently, in quest of them.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbFX7a044Es

Then, as many will know, I was the indentured servant/handmaiden, for quite a number of years, back then, to an eminent professor of political philosophy from Hyderabad. Whence cometh my taste for impossibly fattening kormas, and also, the sitar music which was constantly playing in the background, as I marked papers, and edited journals. (My guru always liked to say to me, "Oh, A, I am so so happy. When I was a boy, the Indians were the slaves of the British. . . but now, a British boy is the slave of. . . ME!" *You have to imagine the head-waggle* ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xB_X9BOAOU

Also, during those years, I hung around with a pretty louche crowd of musicians - in addition to Captain Neon. (I was in the university choir, and that's how I got to know them.) The day (April 26, 1984) Count Basie died (and all my musical friends were melancholy about this), the term had ended, and everyone was supposed to be on his or her way home. But there was a huge blizzard, all flights were cancelled, and so the concert-mistress hosted a party in her old Victorian apartment, and everyone (but me) got incredibly drunk on absolutely toxic wine, and someone said: "What's up with the foot-fetish thing? Has anyone ever tried that?" In an augenblick, cute guys and girls were all down on their knees, sucking one another's toes, while the concert-mistress' superb stereo played "April in Paris". (I kid you, not.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGhs-UsEwK4

That summer holiday, I went to work as publicist for a summer arts festival, which was populated mostly by hippies, or former hippies (students and instructors, alike). That was how I got to love Lou Reed (with or without, the Velvet Underground). It rained constantly, that summer, spoiling everyone's picnics, and so I scrawled on the cafeteria blackboard. . . "THEN WE SPOKE of the RAIN." And all the hippies loved it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1H_4yKpZqc

So, yes, Mike, and Jon, I have had quite a parti-coloured jacquard of musical experience. There is, to paraphrase the Bard, "more music in heaven and earth, than is dreamt of, in [any] philosophy." I LOVE IT ALL - because music is. . . life. The great critic, Walter Pater (Oscar Wilde's hero) put it best when he said, "All art constantly aspires to the condition of music." And I believe him.

There is SO MUCH to love in music - every type, every style, every genre. It is impossible to CHOOSE, the very thought of it fills one, with so much love.

But I suppose, for me, three of the most wondrous things have to be:

1.) Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor. Because this was the birthday present my late Mother gave me on my 10th birthday. (Here is one of my favourite versions, performed by Krystian Zimerman - when he was still young and cute - accompanied by that nasty old Nazi, Herbert von Karajan. The latter was a bad man, but a great conductor - at least for orchestral works. He SUCKED, at conducting opera.) The Grieg concerto begins at 31:50, but, if you care to listen to it, there is a marvelous Schumann concerto, which precedes it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_SnsiiY76w

2.) Anything and everything sung by Montserrat Caballe. In days of yore, to be an "opera-lover" was a sort of secret code that one was gay, and gay men have always had an especial appreciation for this musical form. There is a wonderful exploration of this subject by the American literary critic, Wayne Koestenbaum, in his 1993 book, The Queen's Throat: Opera, Homosexuality, and the Mystery of Desire. At any rate, while (sadly) gay men no longer love opera so much - having, in droves, abandoned art, for Lady Gaga - we ONCE did. And all fierce gay opera fans have traditionally had a "diva", who stirs their passions. (Never put a Callas-boy, and a Tebaldi-boy, in the same room - was the old rule.) Well, old-school as I am, I have a diva, and she is Caballe, "La Superba", as the Italians call her. There is nothing in this world to match the beauty of Caballe's voice, I think - and I love her. (She was, interestingly, also Freddie Mercury's favourite singer.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIQQv39dcNE

3.) MOZART. To me, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is the Alpha, and the Omega, of all music. To me, Mozart is the only proof, in latter days, that life, and the world, and our fleeting loves and cares, are not meaningless. To me, Mozart is the voice of G**. Without question. When I was a young university chorister, one spring I had the privilege to be part of a choir singing Mozart's "Laudate Dominum" (a setting of Psalm 117), with one of the world's eminent sopranos. It was spring, the sky was gentle, and the scent of lilacs filled the air. . . and as we sang, I felt that I was almost floating. . . rising over troubles, rising over care, feeling the whole beauty of everything that was, and is, and ever shall be. . . . I give this piece of music to every friend of mine who is getting married, and to every friend who is bereaved, for it is perfect. And there is no question, this is the last piece of music I want to hear, before I depart this earth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk68ivOMzqU

That's it, that's all, your fellow music-lover,
"A" XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Thanks, Jon, Sorry, I don't know what "FFS" stands for. As for growing up, I am old enough to be your grandfather. How about some respect for your elders.

Here is a video of my Number 1 favorite male singer today. I want this sung at my funeral when my time comes.

Hey, lovely Louis -

I SO SO LOVE Josh Groban, too. Josh is gorgeous, brunet, has a sweet baritone, and is both Jewish AND Episcopalian - I could totally marry him - LOL!!! I sent Mr. K. this video, last Valentine's Day: "You're Still You." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTady0w6dZ0

On another note, just as a translation, I am guessing that "FFS" stands for "For fuck's sake" - LOL. As to further translation, Louis (though I am probably gonna get spanked hard for this). . . our Jon is a very special guy. He has a pretty acerbic sense of humour, and he sometimes needles people (especially the people he loves) HARD. He needled you pretty hard this time, so I get how you are feeling.

But all in all, Jon is a super guy. I started out not understanding his sense of humour very well, and I guess, systematically misunderstanding Jon. I didn't like him at all, in the beginning, as he totally pissed me off, a couple of times. (I mean, pissed me off the point I heard bagpipes, which - to quote Stowe - is a FIVE on my scale of pissed-off animus.

But, over time, Jon said a couple of things that REALLY MADE ME LAUGH. And then he said a couple of nice things to me, personally. And over time, I have really gotten to LOVE the guy - even when he's sticking a needle through my left nipple!!! (As he sometimes - rhetorically - does.) LOL! Now, even though I'd never propose marriage to Jon, or anything - if I ever had to leave this board, his posts and his friendship would be a couple of things I would miss the MOST.

So, Louis, stand your ground, and post all the music you like - lots of people love your music-choices, including me. (I am not shy about loving explicitly CHURCH-MUSIC, and if anyone wants, I will post a whole WEEK of it, from Palestrina to Arvo Part!) And, also realize, Louis, that, while Jon shoots from the hip and posts acerbic reactions to all sorts of things - deep down, he is just a sweet and cuddly little teddy-bear inside! (OK, OK, I posted that last clause JUST to PISS YOU OFF, JON - ROFL!!!! ;-)))

Love you guys, both, a lot:
"A" XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

P.S. Hopefully we can put the cannons back in the armoury ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2W1Wi2U9sQ

P.P.S. Maybe one of you guys can tell me, one day, how you get YT previews to show up on the screen? I still haven't figured that out.

I ran across this today and it took me back to my clubbing days of the 70's. The 70's are still a blur in my memory until I sobered up in 1980.

Here's another flashback to my clubbing days. Damn, I miss those days. I have not been to a gay club in about 10 years. Out here in redneck country there is no such thing, just bars with cheep beer, greasy hamburgers and pool tables.

This is a tribute for a man I very much admired and respected, Mr. Nelson Mandela. Johnny Clegg sings "Asimbonanga" in his honor with an appearance by Mr. Mandela. Enjoy!

Here's another flashback to my clubbing days. Damn, I miss those days. I have not been to a gay club in about 10 years. Out here in redneck country there is no such thing, just bars with cheep beer, greasy hamburgers and pool tables.

Pool table?! You know what can happen on a pool table!
1290-pic-26.jpg

Mike and Louis...More that seems like yesterday...Sure went fast....
Thanks.....Beth loved the pool table.....

Thanks, Mike for the Argentina song. Never heard this one. However, my favorite is Madonna's from the movie Evita. It repeats itself so you can stop it.

Last edited:
I read in today's New York Daily News that the famous Bob Dylan recordings with The Band recorded in 1967 have finally been released in a new College Dudes.

This is from that article.

"Every recording Bob Dylan ever cut shall one day be released. Or so it would seem, given collections like the new, supersized, six-College Dudes “Basement Tapes Complete” package. It’s the 11th in the gargantuan “Bootleg Series,” which has been filling in the holes in the Dylan canon ever since the collection of outtakes, “Rare and Unreleased,” kicked off this mass disinterment project 23 years ago.

This latest installment fleshes out an album that was already one of the most famed rarities of all time. Dylan recorded the original “Basement Tapes” in 1967 in an upstate New York retreat with his nascent group, the Band. He cut it while convalescing from a motorcycle accident still shrouded in mystery.

The “tapes” were available only in bootlegs for their first eight years, but eventually an officiial - and controversial - version appeared as a double LP in 1975. Its infraction? Some of the tracks had been cleaned up with — gasp! — overdubs

No one has to worry about such interference here. True to its title, the music sounds like it was recorded in a flooded rumpus room, and then left to gather mold for four and a half decades"

Bob-Dylan-retreats-to-the-012.jpg

Bob-Dylan-010.jpg

This cut is not from the new album, but from Bob with The Band from that era.