• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Members favourite music

Here is another one of their songs I love. No, I am not fixated on the boys (although I would take them all and have a 6-some with them). I love the music of today and these boys sing stuff with special meaning and messages.

I love these Boys. I will say that they are definitely not "Broke Straight Boys!" Enjoy.

Oops, forgot to mention for those who are not familiar with them, this is the group "One Direction"

Shit, they were in concert last night in Tampa at the Bucs stadium. How did I miss that???????????????????????

That is only 54 miles away from me.

Shit, they were in concert last night in Tampa at the Bucs stadium. How did I miss that???????????????????????

That is only 54 miles away from me.

Harry Styles was in concert, in Tampa???? Wow - - - I bet Tampa must have been pleased!

"A" :O

I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles, My Mammy

Actually this is the Al Jolson song I was thinking of, watching on TV with my Grandma Bessy (yes Peter, another "Grandma Bessy" reference).

I hadn't remembered that Al did this song in blackface which is offensive today, this this is the song that he sings to his "Mammy" that I remember.

Last edited:
Hey, Mike -

Certainly the world has moved on from some of the styles in which Al Jolson used to entertain, and rightly looks askance upon them, now. But there is no question that Jolson was a great, and revolutionary entertainer, in his day - and incredibly charismatic. It is well-known that Jolson would hold Broadway audiences in the palm of his hand for hours on end: in sets that lasted for hour upon hour ~ far longer than any comparable live show would go on, today.

What is less well-known, is that Jolson (despite adhering to some of the traditions of the 19th-century "minstrel show", which we find incredibly offensive, today) was not only an early and effective popularizer of African-American musical forms like ragtime, blues, and jazz: he also fought very hard to promote fair and equal treatment of African-American singers and actors, on stage and screen. And, he was regarded always as a friend and ally, by the African-American community, from the 'teens and 'twenties, up until his death in 1950.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO

Last edited:
P.S. But I didn't intend my post to be a huge exploration of cultural styles - I really only wanted to send best wishes to Jon's Mum.

"A" XOXOXOXOXO

Hey, Mike -

Certainly the world has moved on from some of the styles in which Al Jolson used to entertain, and rightly looks askance upon them, now. But there is no question that Jolson was a great, and revolutionary entertainer, in his day - and incredibly charismatic. It is well-known that Jolson would hold Broadway audiences in the palm of his hand for hours on end: in sets that lasted for hour upon hour ~ far longer than any comparable live show would go on, today.

What is less well-known, is that Jolson (despite adhering to some of the traditions of the 19th-century "minstrel show", which we find incredibly offensive, today) was not only an early and effective popularizer of African-American musical forms like ragtime, blues, and jazz: he also fought very hard to promote fair and equal treatment of African-American singers and actors, on stage and screen. And, he was regarded always as a friend and ally, by the African-American community, from the 'teens and 'twenties, up until his death in 1950.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO
That is very reassuring to know Ambi, as I did watch his old movies with my grandmother and was moved by his genuine love of his "mammy" and just looking back on it today realized that it was in a totally offensive black face getup, so it's good to know that he was not a racist and in fact an advocate of equality.

P.S. But I didn't intend my post to be a huge exploration of cultural styles - I really only wanted to send best wishes to Jon's Mum.

"A" XOXOXOXOXO
And I too am happy to know that Jon's Mum is doing much better, and that is why I posted those two Al Jolson songs about his deep love for his own Mum or "Mammy"! :thumbup1:

Here is Al Jolson without the makeup. My mum is 88 years old. She has severe dementia. My brother called me this morning to update my personal information on her will. These are not the conversations one wants to have but they are necessary. While we were talking we both admitted we didn't have wills written for our own selves. I guess that is something I need to put on my "to do" list.

Last edited:
Harry Styles was in concert, in Tampa???? Wow - - - I bet Tampa must have been pleased!

"A" :O

Oh, yes, Tampa was pleased but not all were happy. You cannot imagine the traffic jam it caused. Some people were in their cars 2 hours to get in and park. Reports today say that over 50,000 were in attendance.

FYI - The band Bastille gave a concert on the Today show this morning in New York.

To give you a perspective on the size of the stage at the Tampa Stadium.