• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

What's Life Like in New York City?

Sadly education does not guarantee monetary success. I have a PHD in the sciences, that did not keep me from having to work as a house cleaner, not that house cleaning is a bad thing.
I agree that education isn’t everything, but I can’t tell you how many recruiters I have to beat off with a stick just because of my engineering degree.

I agree that education isn’t everything, but I can’t tell you how many recruiters I have to beat off with a stick just because of my engineering degree.
Glad for you but my science-math degrees did not do that for me. I got the over qualified excuse.

Does that include slums?

Life is filled with dichotomies. You post images of young naked and semi nude guys in perfect shape. I could ask why you don’t include older out of shape guys? This thread like the threads you post on are to share pleasing to the eye beautiful images. The world is filled with ugliness, but also great beauty. Just as you like to share your idea of beauty on the things that you post, so do I on mine.

Life is filled with dichotomies. You post images of young naked and semi nude guys in perfect shape. I could ask why you don’t include older out of shape guys? This thread like the threads you post on are to share pleasing to the eye beautiful images. The world is filled with ugliness, but also great beauty. Just as you like to share your idea of beauty on the things that you post, so do I on mine.
I was not referring to your postings & appologize if you mistook my intent. This referred to a remark GWTW made and was a direct response to his postings. I in no way wanted to criticize any one for their posting and by the way I do post images of players I don't find attractive if I find a relevant reason to do so.

Today was a great day to be outside and I went on a walk to the most northernmost parts of Manhattan, in Washington Heights, and two spectacular parks, Fort Tryon Park and Inwood Hills Park.

First was the 67 acre Fort Tryon Park right on the banks of the Hudson River. It was the property of CK Billings in the early 1900’s and in 1917, John D. Rockefeller bought the land and donated it to New York City who hired the Olmsted brothers, the sons of the co-designer of Central Park and Prospect Parks to design this park.

These are my pics today from Fort Tryon Park.

237E6222-85D9-44BE-9F86-E8C14D718DEF.jpeg
49A8692A-A093-4E9E-97A9-C8C5D8D1C459.jpeg
C38C10BD-302A-49C8-9F7F-C586C634308B.jpeg
EBC6B766-CCA6-462C-B9D1-9834FD0F56AB.jpeg
3E9C1717-E2D9-4550-AA07-337CD8061BE0.jpeg
685E9CB7-FF8B-4BDD-A080-B79B45925261.jpeg

And a few miles north is Inwood Hill Park, which is actually wooded trails in the hills of the northern piece of Manhattan right out to the Henry Hudson Bridge which crosses over into The Bronx.

From Wikipedia:

”On a high schist ridge that rises 200 feet (61 m) above the Hudson River from Dyckman Street to the northern tip of the island, Inwood Hill Park's densely folded, glacially scoured topography contains the largest remaining old-growth forest on Manhattan Island, known as the Shorakapok Preserve after an historic Wecquaesgeek village. other Manhattan parks, Inwood Hill Park is largely natural and consists of mostly wooded, non-landscaped hills.”

And here are my pics from today:

4F62101F-086F-4DBD-B03C-ED3CD9DDB677.jpeg
CD2A2B07-1D6B-44BD-B802-D104010107B5.jpeg
175D2285-58CB-4C82-B09A-D2159800BBB7.jpeg
60AEDAF1-5915-4EA4-8297-D56E95AEF67B.jpeg
82000227-1090-4A45-A1A8-4037809ADA50.jpeg
B418133B-BEBA-41E3-9F28-272F31B8A8F8.jpeg

Last edited:
I was in Lower Manhattan today to visit the Jackie Robinson Museum on Varick Street and Canal. I was early as my friends were driving in from Long Island and I explored a bit of the nearby neighborhood of SoHo, (south of Houston Street). I walked along West Broadway and checked out some of the galleries and shops and checked out the cast iron architecture. It is a most interesting part of the city.

IMG_3815.jpeg
IMG_3817.jpeg
IMG_3819.jpeg
IMG_3816.jpeg
IMG_3813.jpeg
IMG_3812.jpeg

Yesterday, I was on another walking tour, this time in the neighborhoods in Manhattan of SoHo and NoHo, (South of Houston Street and North of it). They are in lower Manhattan, north of the City Hall area, but south and slightly east of Greenwich Village. The two neighborhoods, particularly SoHo are known for their Cast Iron architecture.

In the 17th century the area was farmland north of the original heart of the city at the southern tip of Manhattan, later it became homes for the wealthy and in the 19th century during the Industrial Revolution, it became a large manufacturing area with easy access to the Hudson River. Later when industry moved out fo the city it became abandoned until artists moved into the abandoned warehouses in the 1960’s and 70’s and it became the home of art galleries.

In the last thirty or forty years it has become the home to boutiques and restaurants and is one of the big tourist areas in the city. I took some pics last night of the cast iron buildings which remain majestic in this modern era.

IMG_3854.jpeg
IMG_3856.jpeg
IMG_3860.jpeg
IMG_3862.jpeg

We also saw the home of artist Jean-Michel Basquiat in NoHo just off Bowery. He lived in Andy Warhol’s home which is commemorated with a plaque outside the graffiti covered wall.

From Wikipedia, “
Jean-Michel Basquiat (French: [ʒɑ̃ miʃɛl baskja]; December 22, 1960 – August 12, 1988) was an American artist who rose to success during the 1980s as part of the Neo-expressionismmovement.

Basquiat first achieved notoriety in the late 1970s as part of the graffiti duo SAMO, alongside Al Diaz, writing enigmatic epigrams all over Manhattan, particularly in the cultural hotbed of the Lower East Side where rap, punk, and street artcoalesced into early hip-hop music culture. By the early 1980s, his paintings were being exhibited in galleries and museums internationally. At 21, Basquiat became the youngest artist to ever take part in Documenta in Kassel, Germany. At 22, he was one of the youngest to exhibit at the Whitney Biennial in New York. The Whitney Museum of American Art held a retrospective of his artwork in 1992.”

These are the pics I took last night of where he lived. By the way, he is buried in Greenwood Cemetary in Brooklyn, where his fans leave trinkets on his grave site every day. I’m pretty sure I posted pics of that somewhere else on this thread.

IMG_3864.jpeg
IMG_3865.jpeg

I was on a walking tour of Red Hook Brooklyn earlier which concluded on Valentino Pier across the Upper Bay, directly facing The Statue of Liberty with Manhattan Island to the right. Here are pics I took right around 8 PM at sunset and shortly thereafter.

IMG_3897.jpeg
IMG_3898.jpeg
IMG_3904.jpeg
IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_3891.jpeg

Here are some of the pics I took in the neighborhood of Red Hook from my walking tour yesterday before the sunset pics I posted above. Red Hook is located on a peninsula in southwestern Brooklyn and is known for its diverse community, rich history, and unique geography. It was another of New York City’s waterfront communities whose economy was based on the dock workers and factories during the industrial age.

Today it has the remnants of the shipping era but also has a small town feel with little shops, bars and restaurants. It is isolated from the rest of Brooklyn with it’s own unique neighborhood vibe of a small town, while it’s only a couple of miles from sprawling high rise buildings of the rest of New York City.

IMG_3890.jpeg
IMG_3882.jpeg
IMG_3885.jpeg
IMG_3887.jpeg
IMG_3884.jpeg
IMG_3889.jpeg