• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Real Sports - Athletes and Teams that we follow and admire.

The NCAA tournament brackets were announced last night and as expected, my Duke Blue Devils are on the outside for the first time since 1995. A disappointing season to me, but if Mark Williams and Matthew Hurt return, along with the fine Freshmen guards plus some new recruits, next year could be a big bounce back year for Duke.

Meanwhile the tournament goes on with some interesting story lines, including Rick Pitino back coaching Iona and Patrick Ewing leading Georgetown back as well. And Gonzaga with a chance to be the first undefeated champ since Bobby Knight's Indiana Hoosiers of 1976. Here's hoping for a great tournament even without my beloved Blue Devils. lol :crying1:

Let the games begin!

Mikey -

While not nearly as passionate a fan of Duke as you, a Duke fan I am; and I too am sad that Duke will be missing from MM this year. It just won't feel like MM without Duke. There are several teams I'll be cheering on, but I give my top allegiance to the Jesuit schools, especially the Zags.

Will be looking forward to your commentary during the Tourney. You are so much better informed than I.

Mikey -

While not nearly as passionate a fan of Duke as you, a Duke fan I am; and I too am sad that Duke will be missing from MM this year. It just won't feel like MM without Duke. There are several teams I'll be cheering on, but I give my top allegiance to the Jesuit schools, especially the Zags.

Will be looking forward to your commentary during the Tourney. You are so much better informed than I.

Sports Illustrated recently had an article on how the basketball program of Gonzaga shy rocketed and and elevated the entire school with it! The Zags are the favorite to win it all this year. Just hope that the coronavirus does not interfere as it has been doing in the conference tournaments. By the way all Duke undergraduate students were ordered into quarantine today.

Mikey -

Thanks Stowe, my friend. Had Duke been in the tourney I would be more into it, but I will do my best to be the Broke Straight Boys "sideline reporter" giving some highlights and personal insights into March Madness, 2021.

image.jpg

Christian Laettner will always be remembered for his miracle buzzer beater to defeat Kentucky in the 1992 Elite Eight, but he also hit a winning basket against Connecticut in 1990. I came across this pic of Christian and teammate Bobby Hurley after that shot and wanted to share it on this thread.

515328092.jpg.0.jpg

And of course possibly the most famous shot in NCAA history against Kentucky.

image.jpg

christian-laettner-duke-getty-ftrjpg_fnnwe5f6jrx81iy11ej1yl81b.jpg

15SCORE1-superJumbo.jpg

Christian Laettner will always be remembered for his miracle buzzer beater to defeat Kentucky in the 1992 Elite Eight, but he also hit a winning basket against Connecticut in 1990. I came across this pic of Christian and teammate Bobby Hurley after that shot and wanted to share it on this thread.

515328092.jpg.0.jpg

And of course possibly the most famous shot in NCAA history against Kentucky.

image.jpg

christian-laettner-duke-getty-ftrjpg_fnnwe5f6jrx81iy11ej1yl81b.jpg

15SCORE1-superJumbo.jpg

I remember watching on television. Great moments in college basketball history. Tate George of UCONN had one of those also. That one I heard on radio, the call by young college announcer Bob Hussler who later went on to work for CBS as a national sportscaster. His call was something like "Long length of the court pass to Tate, he turns, he shoots . . . [buzzer loudly goes off with the ball in the air] . . . IT'S GOOD, UCONN just pulled the the upset of the tournament!" I'm not sure of the team they beat, I think it was either Duke or Kentucky.

More bad Duke news today: during the past week the Duke campus had more Covid infections than in the entire Fall Semester. Duke's well intentioned decision to commute to Greensboro by bus from campus each game proved to be a disaster. But Virginia stayed in Greensboro and suffered the same fate the next day.

I remember watching on television. Great moments in college basketball history. Tate George of UCONN had one of those also. That one I heard on radio, the call by young college announcer Bob Hussler who later went on to work for CBS as a national sportscaster. His call was something like "Long length of the court pass to Tate, he turns, he shoots . . . [buzzer loudly goes off with the ball in the air] . . . IT'S GOOD, UCONN just pulled the the upset of the tournament!" I'm not sure of the team they beat, I think it was either Duke or Kentucky.
I did some research KG and discovered that it was in 1990 against Clemson.

"Clemson had gone on a 25-8 run and taken a 70-69 lead with a second to go. The Tigers were one second away from an Elite 8 matchup with Duke. Burrell inbounded the ball. Heaving it over the outstretched arms of 6-11 Elden Campbell, Burrell found Tate George 94 feet away down the court. George caught the ball, turned around, and shot a 16-foot jumper. Burrell inbounded the ball. Heaving it over the outstretched arms of 6-11 Elden Campbell, Burrell found Tate George 94 feet away down the court. George caught the ball, turned around, and shot a 16-foot jumper. Nothing. But. Net. UConn wins, 71-70".

ATM1990TateGeorgedesktopm4v-2418179_frame_04_640x360.jpg

And it was the same tournament that Christian Laettner beat UConn with his shot. "Connecticut led Duke 78-77 in the final seconds when the Huskies' Tate George stepped in front of a Bobby Hurley pass for a game-sealing interception. Since George had beaten Clemson with a last-second jumper two days before, he would be the king of all Connecticut. Except, he bobbled the ball out of bounds."

And then UNLV crushed Duke in the championship game. Tournaments like that one give the NCAA's the nickname, "March Madness".

I actually "fell in love" with Duke during that 1992 championship run excited by their athletic prowess but titillated by their cuteness factor too.:drool:

christian-laettnerjpg.jpg

1396602_original.jpg

4c59a9a2864149a232ddd14c855d82d6.jpg

I did some research KG and discovered that it was in 1990 against Clemson.

"Clemson had gone on a 25-8 run and taken a 70-69 lead with a second to go. The Tigers were one second away from an Elite 8 matchup with Duke. Burrell inbounded the ball. Heaving it over the outstretched arms of 6-11 Elden Campbell, Burrell found Tate George 94 feet away down the court. George caught the ball, turned around, and shot a 16-foot jumper. Burrell inbounded the ball. Heaving it over the outstretched arms of 6-11 Elden Campbell, Burrell found Tate George 94 feet away down the court. George caught the ball, turned around, and shot a 16-foot jumper. Nothing. But. Net. UConn wins, 71-70".

ATM1990TateGeorgedesktopm4v-2418179_frame_04_640x360.jpg

And it was the same tournament that Christian Laettner beat UConn with his shot. "Connecticut led Duke 78-77 in the final seconds when the Huskies' Tate George stepped in front of a Bobby Hurley pass for a game-sealing interception. Since George had beaten Clemson with a last-second jumper two days before, he would be the king of all Connecticut. Except, he bobbled the ball out of bounds."

And then UNLV crushed Duke in the championship game. Tournaments like that one give the NCAA's the nickname, "March Madness".

That's for the research. That was one great tournament!

I know we usually try to keep this thread about really positive role models in sports. And it's precisely because I've always really like Meyers Leonard (and had not heard any whiff of any scandal or misdeed) that I'm so disappointed in him with this recent turn of events. It's sad.

I know we usually try to keep this thread about really positive role models in sports. And it's precisely because I've always really like Meyers Leonard (and had not heard any whiff of any scandal or misdeed) that I'm so disappointed in him with this recent turn of events. It's sad.
Four comments.

1) I didn't know who Meyers Leonard was, but I see that he had played for the Miami Heat.

2) This thread is not necessarily about positive role models in sports. It is about real athletes who play for teams we watch. Just like all people, athletes can be great guys who are good people and also total dicks. lol There is no reason to not comment on a guy who is a bad dude.

3) I looked him up and see what happened. This is from TMZ Sports.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/03/17/miami-heat-unload-meyers-leonard-after-anti-semetic-incident/

UNLOAD MEYERS LEONARD
After Anti-Semitic Incident

cda28c4661b0438aae91d54a6be6cd93_md.jpg

3:38 PM PT -- The Miami Heat have addressed the decision to move on ... thanking Leonard for his time with the team ... as well as his efforts in educating himself in the week following the incident.
"Meyers was a key part of our team that made a run to the NBA Finals and we will always be grateful for his contributions and leadership last season," the Heat said.
"His recent comments were very hurtful and disappointing, but, we are encouraged that he has spent this last week meeting with community leaders, Rabbis and Holocaust survivors to greater understand the impact of his words and we hope that his education will continue."
Meyers Leonard's time in South Beach is over -- the Miami Heat are trading the controversial center just one week after he spewed an anti-Semitic slur on a live stream.

The Heat are shipping the 29-year-old and a 2027 2nd-round pick to the Oklahoma City Thunder in exchange for Trevor Ariza, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski ... but OKC is not expected to keep Leonard once the trade is completed.

In other words, the Thunder didn't want Leonard ... the team just used his contract to make the trade work.

As a good faith gesture to the Heat, Leonard waived his no-trade clause to help get the deal done.

Remember, Leonard was handed a one-week suspension and a $50,000 fine by the NBA after he called an opponent a "f***ing k*** bitch" during a video game sesh on March 9.

The NBA also required Leonard to participate in a cultural diversity program as part of his punishment.

NBA commish Adam Silver condemned Leonard's remarks ... calling them "inexcusable and hurtful" ... adding, "such an offensive term has no place in the NBA or in our society."

Leonard apologized following the incident ... saying he did not know about the history of the slur, but did not want to use it as an excuse.

"I acknowledge and own my mistake and there's no running from something like this that is so hurtful to someone else."

As we previously reported, Leonard has been in touch with various Jewish groups and leaders from the community in an effort to educate himself about why the word he used is offensive and dangerous ... and we're told he's committed to continuing that work no matter what happens with his NBA career.

For now, we're told Leonard is staying in Miami to continue to train and rehab -- and continue his education with a broad range of leaders in the Jewish community.

There's a good chance Leonard doesn't play NBA ball again for a while -- he played in 3 games in 2020-21 and underwent season-ending surgery in February.

Originally published -- 12:00 PM PT

4) Welcome back Tampa. I know you were having computer issues. It is good to have you "back home" on the forum. :thumbup1:

Thanks for the welcome back my friend. :)

I'm pretty sure we discussed Meyers Leonard at least once in the past. It definitely was on another thread. Possibly on another social media site. If you see this video I shared some years ago I think it may jog your memory.

Thanks for the welcome back my friend. :)

I'm pretty sure we discussed Meyers Leonard at least once in the past. It definitely was on another thread. Possibly on another social media site. If you see this video I shared some years ago I think it may jog your memory.

That was very sweet and touching. Thanks for sharing it.

Ryan Archidiacomo graduated from Villanova, but watching tonight's Villanova-Winthrop NCAA tourney game, it appears that his place has been taken by a younger even cuter brother. Can Mikeyank post a pic of Archidiacomo the Younger?
Chris Arcidiacono.
Born: July 6, 2000 (age 20 years)
Height: 6′ 5″
Weight: 196 lbs

7307696.0.jpg

65838057_10157591494362122_8605714035557531648_n.jpg

And from his high school days:

NHS-vs-CRNorth_BB_01262017_3185-resized-900x720.jpg

NHS-vs-CRS_BB_01162018_3416.jpg

2021 NCAA Tournament - Day 1

In on the court action, the big news was this;

"Oral Roberts shocks Ohio State, becomes only ninth No. 15 seed to upset No. 2 seed in NCAA Tournament. Oral Roberts won its first NCAA Tournament game in 47 years by dramatically upsetting Ohio State"

19e686f7-f934-414c-98bb-70dec148fe44-USATSI_15757233.jpg

And my favorite game of Day One was seeing Duke's arch rival, the North Carolina Tar Heels getting whopped in first round action by Wisconsin, 85-62. Wisconsin was lead by Brad Davison with 29 points including 5-7 3-point shots.

usa_today_10429858.0.jpg