• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

"Profound, Gamechanging Questions That Have Needed Answers for Decades".

...Not to intrude on another's reply.....

Clock, you hit the nail right on the head with the whole SSI and SSD process. It is a night mare. Here is one for you. My brother was born with Hydrocephalus or water on the brain. It crushed the right rear quadrant of his brain and severed his right optical nerve. He finally received his SSD when he was 22. He continued on it until he was 33. He went through the sheltered workshop experiences and eventually he went on to a full-time job with job coaching. He worked there for 15 years before being laid off. Then he was denied three times again before being approved. Any way I digress. Two months after he was hired full-time, the social security office declared that he was no longer disabled. They chased me and my brother every 6 months for 2 years before I got angry enough to involve a congressman. For all of the money to be paid back that he received while on SSD. My father was his payee before me. I had only been his payee for four months. None the less they tried to hold me accountable for a little over $38,000.00... It was just a loop hole in the system.:mad::glare:

I had hydrocephalus, as well, diagnosed at 6 months old, and as a result, have had, in the past the gamut of seizures , and have been on every known anticonvulsant, until a collegue of my (at the time) neurologist had me try another medication, not totally approved by the FDA, but with 100% success rate in Japan (at the time). I have since relocated to the "Denverish" area, and I am seizure-free for (going on) 5 1/2 years now, the LONGEST ever.

Now, about the SS Administration....I had to wait to get on Social Security Disability(I was TOLD THIS by the SS 'Judge), "because "I was not 'disabled enough in one area, (that being epilepsy-I didn't have them frequently enough), so they had to pick a 'BOX' that would CLOSEST fit what I have, so they can 'check it'." So in the government's eyes, I am disabled under 'CEREBRAL PALSY', which I do NOT have, but OH WELL.

The entire 'court session', when it came down to it, consisted of ~20 minutes, where my atty didn' t have to do anything! :cursing: (In a way I was glad, but in another I was pissed off, because, I spent $4k....NOT out of pocket, (from what SS owed me in back pay), for 20 minutes!

Your SS seem to be far more strict than ours. Some people have been on long term sickness for years and have not been assessed on a one to one basis. There are people who are experts in filling out Social Security Benefit forms and charge for their services.

I think the lawyers do all they can to keep the system the way it is. There are quite a few who specialize in SSDI/SSI claims, so they almost certainly have their own lobby in DC. And they help write the legislation (as is so often the case in the legislator/lobbyist relationship, as observed consistently in the wild).

In fact, I'd say that in most any field outside a courtroom where it is SOP that one requires the services of an attorney, even briefly, you can see their handiwork behind that requirement. What is all that fine print and why is it so abstruse? It's job security. Lawyers have a guild, like many other professions, whose purpose is to corner the market in that profession. But they have a big advantage over most any other guild: it is from out of their ranks that we get the legislative clerks who fashion the language of our laws, and the judges and their clerks who interpret and write the only sanctioned opinion on those laws. So it's more like the everlasting job security of a priesthood. They establish and certify the rules of the game and then participate as if they were any other player.

Of course, it is easy to bash on lawyers. But like a gun, if you should -- heaven forbid -- ever find yourself in dire need of one, you don't want to be without.

If a king is gay and marries another guy what is that guy to the royal family?

Why do they call it "getting your dog fixed" if afterwards it doesn't work anymore?:scared:

I had hydrocephalus, as well, diagnosed at 6 months old, and as a result, have had, in the past the gamut of seizures , and have been on every known anticonvulsant, until a collegue of my (at the time) neurologist had me try another medication, not totally approved by the FDA, but with 100% success rate in Japan (at the time). I have since relocated to the "Denverish" area, and I am seizure-free for (going on) 5 1/2 years now, the LONGEST ever.

Now, about the SS Administration....I had to wait to get on Social Security Disability(I was TOLD THIS by the SS 'Judge), "because "I was not 'disabled enough in one area, (that being epilepsy-I didn't have them frequently enough), so they had to pick a 'BOX' that would CLOSEST fit what I have, so they can 'check it'." So in the government's eyes, I am disabled under 'CEREBRAL PALSY', which I do NOT have, but OH WELL.

The entire 'court session', when it came down to it, consisted of ~20 minutes, where my atty didn' t have to do anything! :cursing: (In a way I was glad, but in another I was pissed off, because, I spent $4k....NOT out of pocket, (from what SS owed me in back pay), for 20 minutes!

I believe it was Shakespeare’s quote from Henry VI: “THE FIRST THING WE DO, LET’S KILL ALL THE LAWYERS.” that sums this up best. LOL Then again most times the SSA tends not to fight so much when a lawyer gets involved.

I believe it was Shakespeare’s quote from Henry VI: “THE FIRST THING WE DO, LET’S KILL ALL THE LAWYERS.” that sums this up best. LOL Then again most times the SSA tends not to fight so much when a lawyer gets involved.

We recently passed new legislation in Ohio. They no longer use laboratory rats in experiments...the use attorneys. There's more of them, and the scientists don't get as emotionally attached.

Carking, thanks I needed that. LMAO... :D

Coach drivers and optometrists?

I was discussing these two questions with colleagues at work today:

1) Why do coach drivers the world over wear suits (i.e. jacket and tie)?

2) How do people decide they want to be an optometrist?

Undie (I was told today that I think too much) :confused1:

Sometimes asking the question is more important than the answers... Keep on thinking...:thumbup:

Jobs as community service opportunities...

Dear Undie,

The answers to your mutually interdependent query is as follows:

1.) People who have ridden in city or interstate buses with un-uniformed drivers often question their fitness for the job and their authority. The first matter for concern is their ability to see the road ahead. Most bus drivers cannot have a commanding attitude behind the wheel, such as a captain of a ship would possess, if they cannot see properly. Often, they must be fitted with glasses to pass most vision tests qualifying for their operator licenses and to safely steer their vehicle(as would a captain of a ship) from port to port. Associated with Ship Captains, bus drivers share in having the ability to officially marry couples. Therefore, bus drivers must possess for their passengers sake a commanding presence and the highest levels of professional ehthics as represented by their official uniforms in order to assume the authority vested in them.

2.) People who choose "optometry" as their profession do so because they are sick and tired of other people bumping into them all the time due to poor vision. People in grocery stores; people incorrectly reading the route description on the front of buses while commuting to and from work; surgeons and dentists who are expected to accurately operate and/or remove correctly on a specific side of the patient's body; people practicing at firing ranges; and of course those near-sighted drivers who must pass their rigorous eye exam before being certified as a "bus driver". There are so many reasons why this lucrative (cash cow) profession of optometry is so very popular, not the least of which is to mention the friends and/or relatives of vision impaired bus drivers needing certification.

There you have it, Undie!

Stimpy

Ham and eggs.....a day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

That was too funny Carking! I have got to remember that! Glad to see you are still around, I was worried you weren't. Take care.

JLipps

Now ponder: How can an optometrist tell if an 'illiterate' needs glasses?

????

If you saw a boy and a dog both in trouble in a flooded river and could only save one, you would save the boy right?

But if you were a dog and saw a boy and a dog both in trouble in a flooded river and could only save one, which would you save???

Undie (struggling with another dilemma)

Jayman, the full quote is, "If you want chaos, the first thing we do is kill all the lawyers."
Jeff

PS Can you guess my profession?

Jayman, the full quote is, "If you want chaos, the first thing we do is kill all the lawyers."
Jeff

PS Can you guess my profession?

LMAO. Thanks, Jeff. No, harm meant. I have an associates in criminal justice. I have great respect for the law and those who practice it well. However, I must admit I conceed to human nature when possible and seek loop holes where and when I can to help myself improve my life and my friends when and where I can.

Examples: I married a couple two days ago in the hospital chappel without a legal marriage license. I told them simply their pact was beteen God not the state. They did not want their child to be born out of wed lock. My church allows me to do this and it openly sanctioned by my church. It is at our discression. I know they conceived the child in love at the time and that they will probably never stay together. But it gave them peace of mind.

Our state just recently passed a law requiring those practicing massage therapy to be licensed affective Jan. 1, 2011. I checked to be sure that Reiki was not covered under the law. So, I still do that part of my business until the board sends me an approval for my license. I have met all of their requirements and I am insured just not legally licensed. So, if I have to do somethingn more I just term it spiritual healing which is still allowed in my state. Some states, only allow you to perform spiritual work on a persons head only or through hands off practices.

Bless your heart and thanks for sharing. You made my day...:wink: