• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Politics Discussion

Okay! :)

As long as it is showing for all the rest of you, I guess it's okay. Maybe I did somehow manage to "unfollow" the thread. I'll be looking for ways to fix it. It's still frustrating for me obviously.

Some of you forumites who have been here for a few years will remember Bartira, our female friend from Brazil who was quite active on the forum. When she came to visit the U.S. a few years ago and she was staying in New York City for a week, she visited me and we spent the day together. She told me of the political climate in Brazil and the repressive right wing government that was trying to get into power. They were anti gay among other personal freedoms and lead by Bolsonaro. That is how I became aware of the situation in Brazil myself.

And now after he was defeated, his followers yesterday had their own January 6th moment, storming the seats of government claiming “election fraud” after Lula had defeated his party. Now it comes out Bolsonaro’s son visited Trump and Steve Bannon has been involved in getting right wing Brazilians riled up with the same claims they used here to instigate the attack on our Capitol.

Strange things are happening, as Trumpism is not just a U.S. problem but is infiltrating the world. Just another area for us to keep our eyes on.
Yes. When the weathiest and most technologically advanced country on the planet behaves in a fascist authoritarian way.... Heck. Why sugarcoat it? Acts in a dictatorial way... That holds sway on the rest of the planet as somehow justifiable behavior.

Yes. When the weathiest and most technologically advanced country on the planet behaves in a fascist authoritarian way.... Heck. Why sugarcoat it? Acts in a dictatorial way... That holds sway on the rest of the planet as somehow justifiable behavior.
Don't fool yourself our country has a very long blemished record. This is far from new.

Exactly Tampa! When Bart told me what was going on in her country with the repressive regime gaining power, I couldn’t believe it was happening in modern times. And then a few years later, I saw it begin to happen here. The parallels are uncanny, but actually many of the same evil people are behind both attempted coups, or insurrections.

Okay! :)

As long as it is showing for all the rest of you, I guess it's okay. Maybe I did somehow manage to "unfollow" the thread. I'll be looking for ways to fix it. It's still frustrating for me obviously.

Perhaps you should PM Mark or even better, your heartthrob :001_tt1: , Chuck, lol. I would think they could guide you through how not to unfollow this thread.

Yes. I recall there being an option somewhere to "unsubscribe" to a thread. Maybe I somehow accidenatlly clicked a random place and did that with this thread. Because I really have to hunt for it in the archives to find it. It doesn't bounce to the top of the list (for me) when it has a new post.

Last edited:
Yes. I recall there being an option somewhere to "unsubscribe" to a thread. Maybe I somehow accidenatlly clicked a random place and did that with this thread. Because I really have to hunt for it in the archives to find it. It doesn't bounce to the top of the list (for me) when it has a new post.
Do you see a watch/unwatch red button on the upper right of the top of the post?? Right next to "jump to new"

Do you see a watch/unwatch red button on the upper right of the top of the post?? Right next to "jump to new"

Good thing that “old guys” like me & Tampa have you here Chac to teach us intricacies of new forum, Chac. You had to teach me how to multi quote too. :001_smile:

This is how you subscribe and unsubscribe to a thread. It is called watch and unwatch

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 12.49.42 PM.png

The only option I see is showing "Unwatch". So I assume it's already allowing me to watch it? Don't know. But I figure it wouldn't help me at all to click on "Unwatch". haha

The only option I see is showing "Unwatch". So I assume it's already allowing me to watch it? Don't know. But I figure it wouldn't help me at all to click on "Unwatch". haha
Try it, what do you have to lose?

I found this quote today and I was just left shaling my head. I would expect this of die-hard Trumpers who have drank the Kool-Aid and believe that Joe Biden is the devil incarnate. But this came from Marco Rubio who sits on some powerful committees in the Senate.

I was just like, "WTF. Project much Marco?"

His comment was in regards to reports that Iran has announced it is sending warships to Brazil and the Panama Canal to "establish a military presence".

Here's Marco's response to Fox News Digital.

"Iran’s growing presence in the Western Hemisphere should come as no surprise as the Biden Administration has a history of appeasement and engaging with authoritarian regimes."

WTF! Where was Marco's concern for Trump cozying up to and forming bromances with just about every dictator and thug on the planet? Trump gushed all the time (before Covid at least) about what a "great guy" President Xi of China was. He loved MBS of Saudi Arabia and Trump did his best to give him cover after the brutal murder of Kashoggi. Trump had a love affair with "Rocket Man" Kim Jong Un of North korea. He loved the dictator Erdogan of Turkey. Duterte of the Philippines... And who can forget how much he brown-nosed and grovelled for Putin?

But no. According to Marco, Biden, (The one who is staring Putin down over Ukraine and sending billions of dollars worth of weapons to stop the Russian army... The one who who is dealing with poor relations with Saudi Arabia precisely because he won't just let bygones be bygones and let MBS completely off the hook for killing Khashoggi...) Biden is the president supposedly with a history of appeasment and cozying up to authoritarian regimes. Uhh... Riiiight. What's Marco smoking? It's total projection And Trump's pet "Little Marco" knows better. Which makes it even worse that he is projecting all of Trump's sins and moral failings onto Biden.

The Republicans need better material if they expect the general public to take them as seriously as they take themsleves.

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/warning-sign-irans-military-reportedly-070045722.html

Politics in America today is at its most divisive point in my lifetime. And so I must preface this comment by saying I am a lifelong and proud Democrat. However I went into last night’s State of the Union speech with low expectations of President Biden. I was very happily totally shocked at how effective he was. It was a well crafted speech but he delivered it with a vigor and a joy that I didn’t know that he still had in him. It ran close to ninety minutes and he didn’t seem tired, (or “sleepy” as his competitor in the last election, called him). He was quick on his feet and turned the jeers of his opponents into positives. And the low class antics of Marjorie Taylor Green and her ilk were in sharp focus to his statesmanly manner.

Again, I know that the Republicans will see it way differently, but I was impressed and if he chooses to run again, despite his age, I will happily support and of course vote for him again.

Politics in America today is at its most divisive point in my lifetime. And so I must preface this comment by saying I am a lifelong and proud Democrat. However I went into last night’s State of the Union speech with low expectations of President Biden. I was very happily totally shocked at how effective he was. It was a well crafted speech but he delivered it with a vigor and a joy that I didn’t know that he still had in him. It ran close to ninety minutes and he didn’t seem tired, (or “sleepy” as his competitor in the last election, called him). He was quick on his feet and turned the jeers of his opponents into positives. And the low class antics of Marjorie Taylor Green and her ilk were in sharp focus to his statesmanly manner.

Again, I know that the Republicans will see it way differently, but I was impressed and if he chooses to run again, despite his age, I will happily support and of course vote for him again.
I completely agree! The New Yorker on line has a great review of the State of the Union address concluding in part that Biden is so lucky to enemies like that who just enthusiastically concede all of the moderates of both parties to Biden. For Biden to talk back to them, offer to provide them with Rick Scott's written proposal to do just that and then thank them for agreeing to keep Social Security, when in fact they were lying and have no such intention, was masterful political theater.

How we feelin‘ today?
We are quite amused today. I was sitting on the terrace enjoying the lovely weather here in Puerto Vallarta when my sister texted me regarding a certain someone. I felt so bad about him being indicted. It really is too bad ... that it took this long.