• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Politics Discussion

It has been incredible to watch the dysfunction in the Republican Party as the House of Representatives was unable to vote on a speaker on the first ballot for the first time in 100 years. In fact they took three votes yesterday and Kevin McCarthy lost support as the votes went on. This is all a result of the extreme right wing faction in the Republican Party and the “elephant in the room” is Donald Trump. His support of extreme supporters of the insurrection on January 6th 2021 lead to the slim majority that the Republicans have, which can allow five obstructionists prevent McCarthy from getting the required votes.

And while the Democratic Party can sit and watch this extreme split and dysfunction of the opposition party, it is only a sign of what the next two years will bring with the majority only interested in investigating the Biden administration, the FBI, the CIA, Anthony Fauci, the military and anyone else who did not support the insurrection.

And of course representative elect George Santos of New York is the latest example of a Donald Trump wannabe., who lied about everything, his educational background, his employment history, his religion and possibly about his sexuality as well. But Kevin McCarthy needs his vote, so the Republican Party will let him be seated.

I understand that older people like myself tend to focus on the news as we retire from working full time jobs and have more time, but it seems to me that this is the most chaotic time in American politics in my lifetime. I just felt like mentioning what is going on and what I am watching on television other than my sports teams.

It has been incredible to watch the dysfunction in the Republican Party as the House of Representatives was unable to vote on a speaker on the first ballot for the first time in 100 years. In fact they took three votes yesterday and Kevin McCarthy lost support as the votes went on. This is all a result of the extreme right wing faction in the Republican Party and the “elephant in the room” is Donald Trump. His support of extreme supporters of the insurrection on January 6th 2021 lead to the slim majority that the Republicans have, which can allow five obstructionists prevent McCarthy from getting the required votes.

And while the Democratic Party can sit and watch this extreme split and dysfunction of the opposition party, it is only a sign of what the next two years will bring with the majority only interested in investigating the Biden administration, the FBI, the CIA, Anthony Fauci, the military and anyone else who did not support the insurrection.

And of course representative elect George Santos of New York is the latest example of a Donald Trump wannabe., who lied about everything, his educational background, his employment history, his religion and possibly about his sexuality as well. But Kevin McCarthy needs his vote, so the Republican Party will let him be seated.

I understand that older people like myself tend to focus on the news as we retire from working full time jobs and have more time, but it seems to me that this is the most chaotic time in American politics in my lifetime. I just felt like mentioning what is going on and what I am watching on television other than my sports teams.
They key lies with the moderates of both parties in the House as was stated today by a house member on the sane side.

They key lies with the moderates of both parties in the House as was stated today by a house member on the sane side.
The Democrats could make a deal for a coalition in control of the House with six or more Republican moderates joining with the 212 Democrats. One of the moderate Republicans would probably have to be Speaker, but at least there would be an active responsible House leadership.

It feels like our beloved country is ripping apart at the seams, we have neglected and let her get so frayed, it is going to take a miracle to fix her 😞

It feels like our beloved country is ripping apart at the seams, we have neglected and let her get so frayed, it is going to take a miracle to fix her 😞
What is happening today is far from unusual. Need I remind you we had the Civil War & multiple assassinations.

I just got home after a day out and about, and I turned on the coverage of the vote for speaker of the house and now in the midst of the ninth ballot, there are eleven votes for a Republican other than Kevin McCarthy, and so unless a Democrat votes for McCarthy there will be a tenth ballot. I believe I heard that the last time it went to ten ballots was 1833. This is unprecedented since the Civil War. To be continued…….

I just got home after a day out and about, and I turned on the coverage of the vote for speaker of the house and now in the midst of the ninth ballot, there are eleven votes for a Republican other than Kevin McCarthy, and so unless a Democrat votes for McCarthy there will be a tenth ballot. I believe I heard that the last time it went to ten ballots was 1833. This is unprecedented since the Civil War. To be continued…….
The record was 140 votes over 3 months.

The record was 140 votes over 3 months.
So basically, the government gets fuck all done if that happens again.. well I guess it's no different than last congress session, we really haven't had many good things come out of Washington it feels like in years.

Not entire
So basically, the government gets fuck all done if that happens again.. well I guess it's no different than last congress session, we really haven't had many good things come out of Washington it feels like in years.
Not entirely fair. They did pass some important monetary legislation last year

The last time the vote for speaker of the house went to a twelfth ballot was 1822, over 200 years ago. And today is January 6th, the two year anniversary of the insurrection on the same floor where the vote is being held. Strange times we are living in.

Last edited:
I caught this quote of Kevin McCarthy's today from CNN. :

Rep. Kevin McCarthy expressed confidence that he will have the votes to clinch his speakership bid tonight.

"I'll have the votes," McCarthy said to CNN's Manu Raju when asked if he will be able to flip two GOP congressmen, Rep. Matt Rosendale and Rep.-elect Eli Crane.

McCarthy later told journalists that once the House is back at 10 p.m. ET, "I believe we'll have the votes to finish this once and for all."

"Because it took this long, now we have learned how to govern. So now we'll be able to get the job done." McCarthy added.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/house-speaker-leadership-vote-01-06-23/index.html

************************************************************************************

I'm sure there are many infamous off-the-cuff public quotes that politicians wish they could take back.

This one is certainly already a contender for the new year. haha

Uhh, what?! WTH dude?

You want the leading role of the speakership for what you hope will be many years... And you supposedly and admittedly just learned how to govern..................... TODAY?! Before you've even proven that you will actually get the votes to become the speaker?

He deserves to get totally roasted on that one. He just handed the late night comics a goldmine of jokes. haha

A curious and anxious nation ponders the future under the leadership and governance of such a shrewd political mastermind. Along with all these other Republicans who he claims have also only just learned how to govern within the last several hours. haha

Last edited:
Something strange happened with this thread. I posted on it today. But it didn't seem to jump up to the top of the most recent posts. It looks like it styed buried in the archives somewhere.

Could this be one of the possible computer gremlins Mark warned us about earlier today?

Something strange happened with this thread. I posted on it today. But it didn't seem to jump up to the top of the most recent posts. It looks like it styed buried in the archives somewhere.

Could this be one of the possible computer gremlins Mark warned us about earlier today?

Hum it seems to be working fine

It goes to the top for me using my other account.

It occurred to me that the problem Tampa may be that you inadvertently checked off something for you to not follow that thread and so it is no longer on your list of notifications. I tried to find that box myself unsuccessfully.

Perhaps Mark or Chuck might look into this and let us know where the follow or unfollow check is and you can once again follow the thread. That is the only explanation I can think of as it appears on all my lists as all threads do.

Some of you forumites who have been here for a few years will remember Bartira, our female friend from Brazil who was quite active on the forum. When she came to visit the U.S. a few years ago and she was staying in New York City for a week, she visited me and we spent the day together. She told me of the political climate in Brazil and the repressive right wing government that was trying to get into power. They were anti gay among other personal freedoms and lead by Bolsonaro. That is how I became aware of the situation in Brazil myself.

And now after he was defeated, his followers yesterday had their own January 6th moment, storming the seats of government claiming “election fraud” after Lula had defeated his party. Now it comes out Bolsonaro’s son visited Trump and Steve Bannon has been involved in getting right wing Brazilians riled up with the same claims they used here to instigate the attack on our Capitol.

Strange things are happening, as Trumpism is not just a U.S. problem but is infiltrating the world. Just another area for us to keep our eyes on.

Some of you forumites who have been here for a few years will remember Bartira, our female friend from Brazil who was quite active on the forum. When she came to visit the U.S. a few years ago and she was staying in New York City for a week, she visited me and we spent the day together. She told me of the political climate in Brazil and the repressive right wing government that was trying to get into power. They were anti gay among other personal freedoms and lead by Bolsonaro. That is how I became aware of the situation in Brazil myself.

And now after he was defeated, his followers yesterday had their own January 6th moment, storming the seats of government claiming “election fraud” after Lula had defeated his party. Now it comes out Bolsonaro’s son visited Trump and Steve Bannon has been involved in getting right wing Brazilians riled up with the same claims they used here to instigate the attack on our Capitol.

Strange things are happening, as Trumpism is not just a U.S. problem but is infiltrating the world. Just another area for us to keep our eyes on.
Nothing new about that. It has been around for a long time.