• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Politics Discussion

Anybody watching anything interesting tonight?

I started watching the January 6th investigation, I got about 45 minutes into it before I had to leave my Dad's place. I set the DVR to record it, I'll watch the rest later this weekend. I'll refrain from saying too much more, but I really hope that this doesn't turn into anymore of a shit show that it is, what's that saying "just the facts ma'am?". We need to make sure that the American people can trust the election process, this is really about the core attack on the constitution, if one person is allowed to somehow poison the process, we as a country are doomed. Kinda reminds me of another "leader" that had their countries folks vote to change the constitution so they could stay in power..........

Very impressive presentation. But I don’t see it doing any good. The lies are baked into Trumps supporters and they see the truth as lies. Fucked up state this country is in. But excellent thorough opening presentation.

I started watching the January 6th investigation, I got about 45 minutes into it before I had to leave my Dad's place. I set the DVR to record it, I'll watch the rest later this weekend. I'll refrain from saying too much more, but I really hope that this doesn't turn into anymore of a shit show that it is, what's that saying "just the facts ma'am?". We need to make sure that the American people can trust the election process, this is really about the core attack on the constitution, if one person is allowed to somehow poison the process, we as a country are doomed. Kinda reminds me of another "leader" that had their countries folks vote to change the constitution so they could stay in power..........
Very much so Chac, sadly……

Very impressive presentation. But I don’t see it doing any good. The lies are baked into Trumps supporters and they see the truth as lies. Fucked up state this country is in. But excellent thorough opening presentation.

You may be right, but there was lots of previously undisclosed info. I consider myself to be well informed and thought that I had a pretty good idea of what was going on post election, but I had no idea of the seven different components of the attempted coup and the full extent of it. If our country is to survive as a democracy, a full historical record has to be made and documented, and credit has to be given to all of the right wingers who we despise, but when push came to shove, took their oath to uphold and support the Constitution of the United States seriously. I never knew that when Attorney General Barr told Trump his "fraud" case was BS, that Trump's daughter Ivanka believed Barr, and that she and Jarred flew to Florida immediately not wanting to have anything to do with that coup crap. Even if the Trump folks refuse to watch, only good can result from the truth being fully disclosed. "The truth will set you free" is admittedly an ideal, but knowledge of the total truth is better than incomplete knowledge. Also, the full and complete historical record may not be totally accepted now, but eventually it will be.

In November we will see if any of this will make a difference in what happens.

In November we will see if any of this will make a difference in what happens.
I disagree br. I don’t think that the impact of these hearings will affect how people vote this November. People today will vote based on the economy which is terrible right now and the party in power usually takes the blame, whether it is their fault or not. (And I believe that Biden just happens to be the president right now, following a two year pandemic when the economy halted and the effects are being felt around the world).

But my hope is these hearings will help to end the possibility of Donald Trump ever being president again. I do not like Mike Pence’s politics or Ron DeSantis or any of the other leading Republican candidate’s views on most issues, but no one is as evil and corrupt and immoral and as stupid as Donald Trump. I want the Republicans who vote in primaries to realize that Trump should never go near the Oval Office again. That is what my hope is that these hearings will accomplish.

What may make a difference is what the Supreme Court is about to do with respect to abortion. As to these hearings I just don't know.

What may make a difference is what the Supreme Court is about to do with respect to abortion. As to these hearings I just don't know.

And Congress has the power to legislate, but none of them are willing to make hard decisions, to pick a side and take a stand, they are all too afraid of losing their seat and cushy position. God forbid they don't get re-elected, they may have to {gasp} work for a living.

We need term limits on the supreme court too, no position of power should be for life.

I fully agree that abortion rights and guns may affect how people vote. We shall see.

Agreed, the majority of people think short term on the presidency, "well it's only 4 years" but it doesn't take long to poison a system that's already deeply unhealthy as proven by one recent occupant of the position.

Agreed, the majority of people think short term on the presidency, "well it's only 4 years" but it doesn't take long to poison a system that's already deeply unhealthy as proven by one recent occupant of the position.

Sadly, so true.

You may be right, but there was lots of previously undisclosed info. I consider myself to be well informed and thought that I had a pretty good idea of what was going on post election, but I had no idea of the seven different components of the attempted coup and the full extent of it. If our country is to survive as a democracy, a full historical record has to be made and documented, and credit has to be given to all of the right wingers who we despise, but when push came to shove, took their oath to uphold and support the Constitution of the United States seriously. I never knew that when Attorney General Barr told Trump his "fraud" case was BS, that Trump's daughter Ivanka believed Barr, and that she and Jarred flew to Florida immediately not wanting to have anything to do with that coup crap. Even if the Trump folks refuse to watch, only good can result from the truth being fully disclosed. "The truth will set you free" is admittedly an ideal, but knowledge of the total truth is better than incomplete knowledge. Also, the full and complete historical record may not be totally accepted now, but eventually it will be.

I have found the hearing to be very informative and much more professionally presented and managed than I expected. There was not the usual grandstanding and mugging for the cameras with zippy one-liners, sleazy self-promotion, brazenly pandering for future votes and very transparent attempts at fundraising. I actually did learn more than I knew before. Especially about the "proud boys" who claim to hate Antifa so much, precisely because they're Nazi-like fascists themselves. They would like to see a racist right-wing dictatorship take over the country. I hope all of those "pb" a-holes who stormed the Capitol in their pseudo miltary gear get mostly life in prison for insurrection, sedition, assault and whatever other minor or major charges and crimes they're guilty of.

I'm rather pessimistic that the hearings will change many hearts and minds in Republican circles. Those who think the sun shines out of Trump's ass and that Trump is infallible and never lies, have already drank the Kool-Aid and are mired in the cult. They're mostly weak-willed, terribly impressionable, not very intelligent, and looking for one human messiah to solve all the world's problems for them. That way they don't have to make any of the tough adult decisions themselves, nor strain their brains wrestling with intense moral, poilitical or social issues that can be difficult paradoxes with many shades of gray. They just wait for the messiah to tell them what to think and believe, and then soak it up like a sponge. If they just rally behind and blindly follow said messiah, blindly follow any self-promoting charlatan or water-carrier who reinforces their adoration and respect for the messiah...then they feel they're off the hook and they won't have to take nearly as much personal and/or moral responsibility for their own behavior or actually solving problems themselves. Nor do they feel nearly as much personal responsibility for making the world a better place.

They're intellectually and morally lazy people. The majority of them are beyond help and there's no reaching them. De-programming someone who is quite happily in a cult is a nearly impossible task.

Last edited:
Too far or too much? haha

Well said, it's so true that some people don't think, they are like lemmings and will fall off the cliff blind and unseeing unfortunately. I am by far not the smartest person in the room, I have made bad decisions before, but I own up to them and learned from them.

You nailed it Tampa, people just follow and don't have minds of their own, it's easier that way, no accountability.

Are you beinga bit too harsh, perhaps? Just saying.

Well said, it's so true that some people don't think, they are like lemmings and will fall off the cliff blind and unseeing unfortunately. I am by far not the smartest person in the room, I have made bad decisions before, but I own up to them and learned from them.

You nailed it Tampa, people just follow and don't have minds of their own, it's easier that way, no accountability.

I agree. It's not that any of us who have minds of our own and don't follow false prophets, are perfect and blissfully happy in life. Surely we have flaws, make mistakes and can have many regrets over a lifetime from our own bad decisions. But I'd like to think that we are at least honest enough with ourselves to believe in personal responsibility and personal accountability. It makes us better people and better citizens to learn, grow and evolve out of past lessons. (Rather than copping out of personal accountability by lazily claiming to just be following somebody else's lead.)

I am working both Monday and Wednesday when the hearings will continue. I do enjoy watching the live coverage but I will be following along as much as possible on my desktop computer at work.

I don’t believe that the hearings will convince the hard core Trump supporters of the truth. But I do see cracks among some parts of the base that Trump is a disaster and if he is prevented from winning the nomination in 2024, then the national hearings will have served their purpose.

I don’t believe that the hearings will convince the hard core Trump supporters of the truth. But I do see cracks among some parts of the base that Trump is a disaster and if he is prevented from winning the nomination in 2024, then the national hearings will have served their purpose.

From your lips to God's ears. haha