• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Members favourite music

I heard a song called The River today, it was from Madeline Perout and was a kinda xmas song. My friend said it has been sung by others too so I typed in The River on You tube and this is what I got in return.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anjT71N4PGM

What a classic Talking Heads version of an Al Green song. The Heads do an excellent job.

Then there was this by Sprinstein and Sting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDjQRgoOcpk

Then there is this live classic CSNY version from '69, god I wish I was was there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxs0ybnsEQ

Then I found this one Eternal Tears of Sorrow, never heard of them until now.. fab or what

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3eVZqqeS4s

Then I actually found the track I was after but it was called River and not The River.. silly me and stupid youtube lol xxx enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4jJCb1LONs

Still love the Talking Heads Take me to the river though :eek:)

Me too jon. David Byrne was such a revolutionary figure all during the 80s. He did a clip in a series of celebrity pro-condom ads, and confided to the camera that he actually liked it better with one on. Someone in the crew sniggered off cam and Byrne had to say, "No, really, I do."

Thanks so much for that list mister.

Slim and Paris - I really wanted to join in when you had posted some of the 'classical' links. I was attempting to find something I had which fit in, and the only one I really had and liked was 'You will though your arms around me' sung by The Ten Tenors, but I couldn't find it on youtube. Drat!!! This is the best of what I could find, but when The Ten Tenors performed, it was acapella (sp). I really enjoy the words to this song. I hope sometime you get to hear The Ten Tenors version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j0g2oG_w2g&feature=related

As for Marilyn, I never 'got into him', so to speak. Remember, I've been out of listening to new music for the past 20. The only hard rock band I've really liked was AC/DC (boy, do you think there could be some hidden meaning?!?) Anyway, the most dirty song I can think they made was 'The Jack':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3vWFhQvYy4&feature=related

Of course, if you just want to have fun, this one is always a winner for everyone - Big Balls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLCKSPFrkJQ

The guitar player in Daas is cute! :wink:

Love AC/DC! I saw them in concert once. They put on the best show!! Everyone was on their feet for the whole concert. It was a blast!

LMAO @ Sponge Bob singing Big Balls!!

Thanks, Thomas!! :thumbup:

I heard a song called The River today, it was from Madeline Perout and was a kinda xmas song. My friend said it has been sung by others too so I typed in The River on You tube and this is what I got in return.

Then I actually found the track I was after but it was called River and not The River.. silly me and stupid youtube lol xxx enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4jJCb1LONs

Still love the Talking Heads Take me to the river though :eek:)

Jon - Thanks for sharing. Boy, I hadn't heard The Talking Heads since college ('84)! I'm glad you were able to find the orgininal 'River' you had heard.

I did find a couple of the 10 Tenor songs, but still couldn't find the two or three which I really liked.

Bohemian Rhapsody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZwkMR3LP9c

The Boxer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnosC_Ojq14&feature=related

The guitar player in Daas is cute! :wink:

Love AC/DC! I saw them in concert once. They put on the best show!! Everyone was on their feet for the whole concert. It was a blast!

LMAO @ Sponge Bob singing Big Balls!!

Thanks, Thomas!! :thumbup:

Paris - My pleasure! I saw the Sponge Bob version and was laughing through the enitre video and had to post it. I got so see them once in high school and then again after I graduated from college. I'm guessing it was around '82 and '90. During the High School performance, when Angus went to the middle of the auditorium, my friend was able to 'slap' him on the back as he passed by. I was always amazed at how Angus could move around so much and still play. It really gets my blood up when I listen to them! Amazing they're about the only 'hard' rock band I ever really listened to and liked. Oh well, I guess you're never too old to learn new tricks.....at least, I hope not!!! Thomas.

I like everything BUT rap. I mostly listen to the older country, like Willies place on XM radio.

Im a big 50's and 60's guy people look at me like im crazy when they hear me playing 50's and 60's music

Achtung! My Favorite Musical Things . . .

I like my music like I like my men: beautiful, intelligent, mercurial, tortured, difficult, chaotic, complex, talented, unpredictable, crazy, sensitive, misunderstood, adventurous, brilliant and often dark, and with a strong point-of-view.

Of course being a guitar or piano based male rock band with beautiful melodies and engaging lyrics helps too. I do not listen to: Country, Gospel, Hip-Hop, House, Rap, R&B, Soul, Vapid Pop or Western. So here are my selections:

All-Time Fav (Rock) Bands:
The Kings: Grateful Dead, Phish, Kings of Leon, Modest Mouse, My Morning Jacket & Pink Floyd.
The Princes: Broken Social Scene, Coldplay, The Cure, The Doors, The Most Serene Republic & Tokyo Police Club.

All-Time Fav Indv. Artists: Bruce Hornsby, Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick Jr. & Van Morrison.

All-Time Fav Jazz Artists: Bill Evans (pianist), Miles Davis, John Coltrane & Wynton Marsalis.

Fav Rock: AIR, Allman Bros. Band, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Band of Horses, blink-182, Brendan Canning, British Sea Power, Carbon Leaf, Cursive, Dave Matthews Band, Fall Out Boy, Franz Ferdinand, The Fray, Green Day, Grizzly Bear, Guster, Jeff Buckley, John Mayer, K.C. Accidental, The Killers, MGMT, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Phoenix, Radiohead, Razorlight, Red House Painters/Sun kil Moon, Richard Hawley, The Strokes, Talking Heads, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Vampire Weekend, White Lies, The Whitest Boy Alive & World Party.

Fav Folk: Fleet Foxes, Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon, Simon & Garfunkle.

Fav Jazz: Branford Marsalis, Christian Scott, Dave Brubeck, The Great Jazz Trio, Keith Garrett, Stan Getz & Vince Guaraldi.

Fav Jazz Vocalists: Betty Carter, Shirley Horn & Tony Bennett.

Fav Classical & Opera: J. S. Bach, Beethovan, Philip Glass, Henryk Gorecki, Mozart, Puccini & Wagner.

Seen In Concert: Allman Bros. Band, Band of Horses, Bob Dylan, Bruce Hornsby, Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers, Coldplay, Cursive, Dark Star Orchestra, Dave Matthews Band, The Dead, The Doobie Bros., Frank Sinatra, Grateful Dead, Guster, Hot Tuna, The Other Ones, Phish, Rusted Root, The Soft Parade, Steve Miller Band & a bunch of others.

Das ist alles mes amis.

Hi guys and Happy New Year to everyone.

I was born in the mid 50's, so I am really partial to the Oldies (50's to 70's) and also the older Country Music. Not too interested in country music that is newer than the late 1980's.

Gary in Tacoma

There's a Franco-Belgian film called Le maître de musique, The Music Teacher, that is filled with so much of the Mahler and Verdi and Schumann that I love that when I'm sick I put the movie on and go to bed. It's the best recording of Simpra Libera from La Traviata I've ever heard.

My shelf is also filled with Dwight Yoakam, Harry Connick, k. d. lang, Ella Fitzgerald, Van Cliburn, and I have always been a friend of Dorothy.

Girls - Album

A nineteen year old guitar playing, band jamming friend of mine in San Francisco recommended a local band, Girls, and their first album, "Album". The record is a song cycle by Christopher Owens, who at sixteen escaped from the Children of God cult only to grow up living on the streets in Texas and San Francisco. He was given his first guitar by Jeremy Spencer, one of the founding members of Fleetwood Mac and a member of the cult, an influence that shows up during guitar solos. "Album" is actually two records. Sonically, it's a spartan, effects driven pop record. Lyrically, it's one of the deepest records I've ever heard, a headlong dive into the experiencing a stunted life at its fullest, with all the good and bad that entails.

You hear this immediately on the first song, Lust for Life. An opening forty-eight strikes of a jangly guitar chord says Pop Record Ahead. But these Girls are not playing Sugar, Sugar:

Oh, I wish I had a boyfriend
I wish I had a loving man in my life
I wish I had a father
And maybe then I woulda turned out right

An equal opportunity hopeless romantic, in the next song, Laura, a soulful Owens pleads:

Alright, baby, I'm right here
And I don't wanna fight anymore
I really wanna be your friend forever
Friend until the end of your
Oh

Longing for blissful summer days and the all-American upbringing he never had, which includes Larry Bird, pizza and bonfires on the beach, Owens wants it all and it hurts when he inevitably falls short. Hellhole Ratrace starts as the most mournful Buddy Holly song he never wrote, but by the end, fuzztoned guitar bleeds pain not felt in Lubbock, Texas. "Sometimes you've just gotta make it for yourself/Sometimes darling, you just need someone else." There is also great beauty as Girls, which is Owens and his producer/co-instrumentalist JR White, achieve moments of grace and clarity. "Album" is an emotional roller coaster and well worth the ride.

Here is an interview with Christopher Owens and embedded videos for Lust for Life and Hellhole Ratrace. In the second video, the long haired early 20-something is Owens and the short haired thirty-ish guy with the receeding hairline is JR.

futher thoughts

(1) My review makes "Album" sound depressing. It's not. In fact, Girls may have made the perfect modern California pop record. Girls needs new experiences even though it hurts going through them. Full of spit, moxie and cum, tomorrow promises to be a more fulfilling day.

(2) While the first video, Lust for Life, is probably the better song, the second video, Hellhole Ratrace, has a bunch of boys kissing. But then, the first video has flashes of two twinks in bed in their underwear singing the song, so it may be a toss-up. Just thought you should know.

(1) My review makes "Album" sound depressing. It's not. In fact, Girls may have made the perfect modern California pop record. Girls needs new experiences even though it hurts going through them. Full of spit, moxie and cum, tomorrow promises to be a more fulfilling day.

(2) While the first video, Lust for Life, is probably the better song, the second video, Hellhole Ratrace, has a bunch of boys kissing. But then, the first video has flashes of two twinks in bed in their underwear singing the song, so it may be a toss-up. Just thought you should know.

Your review mainly make you sound like you know an enormous amount about current CA stuff and write beautifully about it. Thanks for turning us onto Girls. Hellhole Ratrace was produced using a defective hairdryer, an electronic smoothie blender playing something orchestral from about 3.40, and no mixer. Really loved it.

I quite like them and thanks for the tip as I hadn't heard of them before. I'm not sure the BBC would play Lust for Life unless they edited the line "fucked in the head" but I like it. Thanks.

Last edited: