• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Favorite Books

tim114

Reaction score
I spend a lot of my free time reading, so lets try this thread. List a genre and some of your favorite books. I will start.

Historical Fiction: Gary Jennings - Aztec, The Journeyer, Spangle, Raptor.

Horror: Read a lot of Steven King. He is a master of characterization.

Tim

No one reads here? That can't be true. Share you favorite books.

Tim

My favorite book of all time is For One More Day. It's is a touching novel by Mitch Albom; which expresses the love between a mother and a son many years after she has died.
Must Read.

I am a voracious reader.

One of my all time favs is Jeffery Eugenides' Middlesex.

I'm a vampire lover, so Anne Rice's early books, Laurell K Hamilton and Charlaine Harris are among my favorites. I also love Patricia Briggs(not vampy in particular) and J R Ward.

I love Carl Haaisan. So funny.

I am particularly fond of Peter Mayle, Bill Bryson and David Sedaris for non-fiction humor and travel writing.

Christopher Moore makes me hot and laugh my ass off. As does Tom Robbins.

I read A LOT of m/m erotic romance and m/m/m and m/f/m erotic romance.

I adore Harry Potter.

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book.

That's just a start:)

I am a voracious reader.

One of my all time favs is Jeffery Eugenides' Middlesex.

I'm a vampire lover, so Anne Rice's early books, Laurell K Hamilton and Charlaine Harris are among my favorites. I also love Patricia Briggs(not vampy in particular) and J R Ward. Don't forget Linsay Sands, you have to love the vampires being from Atlantis theory.:thumbup:

I love Carl Haaisan. So funny.

Christopher Moore makes me hot and laugh my ass off. As does Tom Robbins.

I read A LOT of m/m erotic romance and m/m/m and m/f/m erotic romance.

I adore Harry Potter.

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book.

That's just a start:)

I totally agree with almost all of those. BUT, I can't narrow down any favorites, because it would change by next week.:001_smile:

Quite frankly, I haven't read a book in a while but I've been "craving" for a book about the medieval time which I'm still looking for. I'm also a sucker for vampire stuff so any good suggestions are welcome :)

Scorpio,

Try "Sucked Dry in the 12th Century," by Tampa. I think it is on Amazon. hehe.

Tim

a sucker for vampire stuff

Do you watch HBO's True Blood by chance? That series is based on Charlaine Harris' novels, the first one being Dead Until Dark. I've read the whole series and really have enjoyed them all.

If you like violence, then Laurell K Hamilton is a great choice. Book 1 in the Anita Blake series is Guilty Pleasures. You get zombies and vampires and were-creatures.

Quite frankly, I haven't read a book in a while but I've been "craving" for a book about the medieval time which I'm still looking for. I'm also a sucker for vampire stuff so any good suggestions are welcome :)

Have you ever read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett? I read it years ago and loved it. It was recently a mini-series on Starz.

My favorite book is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and a close second is the follow-up World Without End. Cider House Rules by John Irving also.

And for scorpio...I love The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

Have you ever read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett? I read it years ago and loved it. It was recently a mini-series on Starz.

OH SNAP! Queen Bee...JINX!

The World According to Garp by John Irving. Also worth the time.

Tim

Scorpio,

Try a book I mentioned, The Journeyer by Gary Jennings. Marco Polo is the protagonist and the narrator. It documents the adventures of Marco Polo as he travels from Venice to China. While in China, Polo becomes a courtier in the Mongol court of Kubilai Khan. It is a great read!

Tim

The World According to Garp by John Irving. Also worth the time.

Tim

One of my very very very favorites ever. So much from that book has followed me through 20 years of life, in a good way. John Irving is... so many things...

When I retired I sold or gave away 100s of books just to lighten up. I really can't remember them all. But here are a few more.

On the Beach Nevil Shute
Jurassic Park Michael Crichton
The Andromeda Strain same
Congo came
Little Big Man Thomas Berger
Lonesome Dove Larry McMurtry

Tim

Scorpio,

Try a book I mentioned, The Journeyer by Gary Jennings. Marco Polo is the protagonist and the narrator. It documents the adventures of Marco Polo as he travels from Venice to China. While in China, Polo becomes a courtier in the Mongol court of Kubilai Khan. It is a great read!

Tim

Hey Tim. I just finished "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" by David Mitchell last night. Your Marco Polo suggestion for Scorpio stimulates me to recommend it since it's also about the East. It's an amazing tour de force in a teacup, saga style, spanning decades and rich in breathtaking referential riffs, winks of the literary eye. Jacob is a clerk in the Dutch East India Company at the very end of the 18th century, stationed on a manmade island anchored in Nagasaki bay. Here's part of what the reviewer from The Guardian newspaper said:
There is no retreat, here, into the conventions of historical fiction. All Mitchell's architectural wizardry and verbal intensity are at play – but now subordinated solely into the service of his subject matter. As translators from Nagasaki attempt to deal with concepts rendered in Dutch, and vice versa, Mitchell renders communications and miscommunications in brilliantly supple and adaptive English. In the Dutch world you feel the Dutch-ness; in the Japanese world, you feel events taking place from within the consciousness of the Japanese characters. And when the English arrive, it takes a moment to realise that you are experiencing them as the aliens in the diplomatic triangle.

I doubt there is another living English writer who is capable of such traversals of worlds and consciousness. A criticism sometimes fired at Mitchell is that, beneath the virtuosity, he lacks an authentic voice of his own. There may be something in that, but it misses the real potential of his ventriloquism. Here, in this recreation of a historical moment, his transmigrations of empathy become fully emotionally satisfying. Ironically for an experimental writer, it is this seemingly simple step into a third-person, chronological narrative that feels like his greatest imaginative leap. This is the novel that establishes his maturity.