• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Any good reading?

Mike, there was a rumor that Paul Newman was going to star in the movie version, but of course nothing ever came of that. I think the time was not right and I doubt that any studio was willing to take the risk. Look how long it took to get "Brokeback Mtn." and it caused quite a stir.

There have been 4 or 5 attempts to get the story to the screen but none have made it. Time may have passed this one by. If they made it now people would turn it into a sports themed version of Milk I am afraid.

I believe my first gay book was one called Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin. My uncle gave it to me to read when I was about 11 years old. He also gave me Lord of the Flies which set my imagination off like a California wildfire - all those young boys alone on an island! Uncle Dennis also gave me Brideshead Revisited by Waugh and Gove Vidal's The City and The Pillar. My parents thought it was great he was getting me into the classics. Little did they know. When I took Kerouac's On The Road from my dad's library bookshelf he warned me that it was a very tough book to understand as it was of the Beatnik revolution (or was it evolution?!!) but I handled it and by the time I was 12 I "knew" I was one of those different guys. After 8th grade I didn't read another gay-themed book until picking up And the Band Played On which confused my then wife a bit but she never asked me from where I got "Jesus Mary, don't you know it takes a Faerie to make something pretty!"!!! She later read the book and about 12 years later, my closet doors came off. Then she "got it".