• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

President Jimmy Carter Battling Cancer

louis33705

BSB Addict
Reaction score
I met "Jimmy" many years ago when he came to speak at the college where I was working. I worked in the Administration Building and the staff was alerted he had arrived. We all went into the lobby and waited for him to come in. As soon as he entered, he face lit up with a huge smile. He immediately went to us individually, shook our hands and said to each one of us, "Hi, I'm Jimmy. What's your name. I am so glad to meet you." It may sound insignificant to some, but I still cherish that moment. It had nothing to do with the fact he had been President. What struck me was I had met a genuine man named, "Jimmy!"

I have another story concerning his Inauguration but I don't want to bore you with it.

Here is the most recent report of his condition.

http://news.yahoo.com/carter-says-undergo-radiation-cancerous-spots-brain-141754519.html

I was very sad t hear about this also Louis. His presidency may not be remembered all that fondly by many. Of course there is always the Camp David Peace Accords that brought peace between Egypt and Israel. He is a good man though who has worked tirelessly to leave the world a better place. His Habitat for Humanity spans the globe of the developing world as well as domestically here in the U.S.

I also had the pleasure of meeting him once in person. A few years ago my mother and I made the trip from Florida to Plains Georgia to attend one of his weekly Sunday School lessons. I got to pose for a picture with him and Roselyn after the service. We all had to go through the routine screening of Secret Service protection. It's an experience and memory that I will cherish even more now in light of the fact that he probably won't be with us much longer. On the other hand, at 90 years old he's led a very long, fulfilling and productive life. :) He (and we) can be very grateful for that.

I am too young to remember Jimmy Carter in my lifetime.. But that's what the history books are for! I am sitting here reading the newspaper and here it is front page. Cancer found in his brain.. Two brain lesions each less than 2 millimeters long. Although they just found the new cancer.. The former president is "at ease as he begins new treatment".

Best wishes to you Mr. Jimmy Carter!!

I was very sad t hear about this also Louis. His presidency may not be remembered all that fondly by many. Of course there is always the Camp David Peace Accords that brought peace between Egypt and Israel. He is a good man though who has worked tirelessly to leave the world a better place. His Habitat for Humanity spans the globe of the developing world as well as domestically here in the U.S.

I also had the pleasure of meeting him once in person. A few years ago my mother and I made the trip from Florida to Plains Georgia to attend one of his weekly Sunday School lessons. I got to pose for a picture with him and Roselyn after the service. We all had to go through the routine screening of Secret Service protection. It's an experience and memory that I will cherish even more now in light of the fact that he probably won't be with us much longer. On the other hand, at 90 years old he's led a very long, fulfilling and productive life. :) He (and we) can be very grateful for that.

That is a warm telling story, Tampa. Thanks for sharing. Those who met and knew him personally will always remember the kind and gentle man that he was.

Wow,

Louis and Tampa: what wonderful stories! (Tamps, it isn't everyone who can say he went to Sunday-school, with Jimmy Carter!)

As regards the history-books (in Drake's wise allusion): I have a sense that historians will be much kinder to Mr. Carter, than contemporary journalists, were.

The Camp David accord was a MAJOR step forward, in terms of world peace. (One of the very few I've seen, in my lifetime.) And President Carter's many achievements through his efforts in the Carter Center - including fostering democracy and fair electoral processes in scores of countries that are new to democracy; fighting famine and disease in the Third World; and yes, his sponsorship of Habitat for Humanity also - were TREMENDOUS works, which have improved the world to no end.

(Tampa, I do regret that I missed my one chance to hear Jimmy Carter speak. I had a ticket, which cost me about $75, as I recall - - - to attend a benefit for "Habitat" at which he was speaking, here at the North Pole. But, just as I was finishing up at the office, a huge rainstorm broke over us. . . and my suit got soaked in the rain. So I was too embarrassed to show up at an event where I knew a lot of people from my work would be showing up. . . looking like a drowned RAT!)

Poor President Carter, though. He faced a lot of adversity, during his time as President. An OPEC-induced energy crisis; a significant recession; and the rise of that evil bastard, the Ayatollah Khomeini. As even the most powerful elected politician in the Western world - - - there is not a hell of a lot you can do, with bad cards like that, to play. To historians today, it seems evident that, for whatever reason (and this is still a mystery to me, to this very day): that the Ayatollah deliberately decided to "stick it" to President Carter, by refusing to release the hostages in Iran, until Reagan was sworn in. . . and the Ayatollah DID, minutes after! (Why would Khomeini prefer REAGAN to Carter. . . I have no idea. But apparently, he did.)

Just a little side-historical note, for Drake's benefit - - - Canada, though a very weak and small little country (in terms of population and wealth) played a key role in the effort to rescue American diplomatic staff, during the Iranian coup. This was the basis of the movie, Argo ~ and though it was a small role, I think most Canadians were glad that we were able to help. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Caper

One further digression, for Tampa's benefit - it might make him laugh. . . . Circa 1978, I attended a large family wedding, to which my public-speaking coach, the sublime and gifted Miss R., was also invited. She brought, as her date (her husband was long-departed) a young exchange student from Iran, and said to me, "A - you really should have a conversation with this young man. . . he has so much to share!" And then she left me, to chat, with this fellow. (I suspect she was scoping out some cute younger men, on the dance-floor ;-)

Well, Tamps, I was then 13, and darling Ardashir was about 20 or so - and very cute (of course, I noticed). He was a little in his cups, and began inveighing against the Shah, and telling me about his ruthless atrocities, and how anyone who dared oppose the regime was thrown to SAVAK. Ardashir (who was drinking some sort of awful pineapple colada, which made his breath smell GHASTLY) wound up his little homily by exhorting me, "A - in Iran - we must have a revolution, and revolution, NOW!!!"

You know me, Tamps. I am a heartless bastard, and an admirer of Henry Kissinger, too. I just sipped on my Canada Dry (no ice) and said, "Ardashir, you're gonna live to REGRET THIS." And I bet he has. At least, I HOPE he has :-(((

Louis and Tampa, I don't know if either of you watch The American Experience, on PBS. Recently, they had a great series called, The Kennedys. What was most interesting in this series, in terms of our present discussion, is the picture the documentarians presented of Jimmy Carter's relationship, with the Kennedys. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/kennedys/

I didn't know this, about President Carter, but apparently, he hated and feared the Kennedys, as much as my old friend, Richard Milhous Nixon. Maybe even MORE - because he saw them as a threat to his leadership of the Democratic Party. So he shut them out, and ignored them . . . even as Ronald Reagan (that old Irish charmer) actively courted them, and invited Rose over for tea, on a regular basis.

So, after Ted mounted a fierce (and almost successful) bid for the nomination in 1980, and lost. . . the documentary suggests that he and his family were more than pleased that Reagan should overtake Carter, in the ensuing general election. (Carter said so, too, in a number of directly-recorded quotes.) Several commentators on this programme suggested that snubbing the Kennedys, was perhaps Carter's worst political mistake, ever. (And, as a political junkie, and former teacher of political studies, I find this. . . fascinating.)

In the end, whether he had conciliated Ted Kennedy, or not - I'm not sure it would have made all that much difference, for President Carter. He was facing incredible political headwinds, both in terms of the economy, and foreign affairs, and the country was eager for change, at that point. Politics is a cruel mistress, indeed - and, I'm afraid - especially so, for honest men.

But, in the end, Jimmy Carter WAS an honest man, and a very good one. Tamps, you will laugh, but you might recall (as I do) the Reverend Billy Graham's sometime comment that he believed Richard Nixon was, "every INCH a Christian gentleman." Well, while I am revisionist enough to think Nixon had a sort of genius about him, and accomplished more in terms of international relations (detente and the opening to China) and domestic affairs (establishing the EPA) than is usually conceded on the left. . . a "Christian gentleman", Nixon certainly was. . . NOT.

Jimmy Carter, on the other hand, WAS and IS, the very MODEL of a Christian gentleman. While I didn't agree with everything he did in office, he did a great deal of good, in office - and even more, once he LEFT office. I honestly believe that Mr. Carter is one of the very few politicians I am aware of, in the 20th century, who was motivated almost exclusively, by altruism, and genuine care for PEOPLE. This is admirable; and there should be more like him. He has lived a life, which is truly worth living - of this, I think there can be, no question.

There should be more, like him.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO

Thank you for sharing all those wonderful stories Ambi. The Iranian exchange student story is fascinating. lol I had heard that Carter pushed some major healthcare overhaul legislation and Ted Kennedy (who I admire overall in spite of the story I'm telling here) was said to have stalled it and prevented it from going further. Their relationship was so bad that he didn't want Carter to get to get credit for something he had been championing for many years. It was a very regrettable lost opportunity for the country that failed because of two men's egos and the bad blood between them.

Also, Canada does deserve thanks for sneaking U.S. diplomats out of Iran while the main embassy had been taken over. The Canadians hid them, made them false Canadian passports and diplomatic credentials, all so they would appear to be Canadian citizens flying back home.

In my hometown in northern Ohio I remember seeing on the news how U.S. billboards around Detroit and other areas on the U.S side of Ontario were put up facing the Canadian border saying, "Thank You Canada! Merci Canada!". Once the story broke, the zoo in my city (only about a 1+ hour drive from the border) offered free admission to any Canadian citizens for the next several days. :)