• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Ponderings for April 16th 2022

I’m feeling pretty good today on this December 22, 2022. We are three days away from Christmas, in the fifth day of Hanukkah and ten days away from New Years Day, 2023. Today is a gray day with rain starting within an hour and heavy rain and wind predicted for tonight, but luckily it will be 50 degrees and New York City will avoid the snow storm pounding much of the U.S. The bitter cold should set in over the weekend but it is forecast to be dry, so we will dodge the bullet this time, but it’s a long winter……….

I actually love being able to experience the four seasons, living in the northeast. Now that I no longer drive a car, the snow is not the hassle that it used to be for me. I have warm outer clothing and thick winter boots so I can certainly handle winter.

Here is how it looked outside this morning as I was doing my morning chores………Thanks to Chac for starting this thread for “Pondering”. It feels good to just have a place to express what I am thinking on any given day. Happy Holidays to my fellow forumites!

365ADBC4-7694-43C1-88BD-F3979DD43A8B.jpeg

I’m feeling pretty good today on this December 22, 2022. We are three days away from Christmas, in the fifth day of Hanukkah and ten days away from New Years Day, 2023. Today is a gray day with rain starting within an hour and heavy rain and wind predicted for tonight, but luckily it will be 50 degrees and New York City will avoid the snow storm pounding much of the U.S. The bitter cold should set in over the weekend but it is forecast to be dry, so we will dodge the bullet this time, but it’s a long winter……….

I actually love being able to experience the four seasons, living in the northeast. Now that I no longer drive a car, the snow is not the hassle that it used to be for me. I have warm outer clothing and thick winter boots so I can certainly handle winter.

Here is how it looked outside this morning as I was doing my morning chores………Thanks to Chac for starting this thread for “Pondering”. It feels good to just have a place to express what I am thinking on any given day. Happy Holidays to my fellow forumites!

View attachment 109818

Like you, we are expecting to have a whopper of a rain/windstorm here. I was slated to go into Boston for a doctor appointment tomorrow but luckily they called saying we can do a video call instead. I was not looking forward to driving a few hours in 50-60 mph winds and over an inch of forecasted rain!

Happy holidays!!!

Yesterday morning it was 50 degrees F at this time. Right now it is 8 degrees, with a wind chill of -10. But fortunately we still have not had any snow on the ground in New York City yet this season. But it is cold. I went out for my morning newspaper, (Yes, I am one of the old guys who still buys a real newspaper). I wore my heavy coat, gloves, stocking hat and hood and felt pretty good, but by the end of my trip with a stop at the deli, my face was freezing. Luckily my old 170 year old building has terrific heat and back home it is toasty.

I am going out later this afternoon to meet a friend at The Whitney Museum in Manhattan followed by an early Christmas Eve Dinner in the same neighborhood. So I will need the extra layers to stay warm again.

To all my forum friends, I wish you a very Merry Christmas and hope you stay warm and enjoy the holiday season.

:xmaschristmas:

After mentioning The Whitney Museum and the “Meatpacking District”, I was reminded again that this area was once the home of gay leather bars and sex clubs. I looked up the notorious “Mineshaft” and see the address was 835 Washington Street, at Little West 12th Street, in Manhattan, New York City ...I got a google map and see it is right where The Whitney Museum is today.

For those unfamiliar with The Mineshaft and The Anvil which were the two clubs I was familiar with, here is some historical information and pics. By the way, I was never a leather guy, but my friends and I would wander in to check out the scene, and perhaps have some vanilla fun in those clubs, as everyone who went there wasn’t into the whole S&M or B&D scene, but there was a strict dress code.

Here is an article:

“835 Washington Street has had many past lives. In the 1930s, it was a humble butcher and meatpacking plant, until the industry declined in the 1950s and ‘60s. Then in the 1970s it was a smattering of revolving gay bars with rather unassuming titles: Cycle, Den, Zodiac, and O.K. Corral. Currently, it’s home to a candy store and a Thai restaurant, both new additions serving its gentrified neighborhood’s clientele of travelers, shoppers, and art connoisseurs. However, the building’s most intriguing stories may come from its time hosting the Mineshaft, a gay BDSM club whose patrons challenged biases about radical sexuality amid the HIV/AIDS crisis.

Operating between 1976 and 1985, the Mineshaft is indicative of the larger Queer BDSM (Bondage/Discipline, Dominance/Submission, and Sado-Masochism) culture that existed within the Far West Village. It wasn’t that different from other clubs in the area, like The Anvil, The Manhole, or the heterosexual-friendly Hellfire Club. It was nondescript on the outside. Walking along the cobblestones of Little West 12th Street, you’d hardly notice the iron clad door with a poster taped to it, identifying the club as the “Mineshaft School for Lower Education.” Once inside, a set of stairs was guarded by a bouncer, checking to make sure all patrons wore the appropriate dress-code: denim and leather only, no preppy shirts with little alligators, no sneakers, and absolutely no cologne. From there, visitors were free to choose their own adventure. Going upstairs led to a rather seedy bar, but the level’s first floor led to a labyrinth of dungeons (i.e. sets of cubicle-style rooms reserved for sexual exploration). “

And the map from today of the address showing how the neighborhood has changed, and a pic of the club from back in the day and a pic of Freddy Mercury of Queen wearing the shirt. :wink:

First today……and then the pics from the 1980’s.

48C05D89-1D52-4844-A12F-DCB58FE3FACC.png
C69B7956-A89A-405F-90A8-8A3639C09AB8.jpeg
B1000ABB-A1FC-4D5A-80B5-6AC7F3510A44.jpeg
B205FA87-8C12-4FA7-87F1-E5E219CE0F37.png
DBC8DDA5-3533-4091-8E55-5E612164ACB3.jpeg

Well it hit 13 F on my drive home from a Christmas party. That's too cold. I'm listening to the building's heat creak and moan trying to keep up with the artic chill in the air. I feel so blessed to have a warm bed to sleep in, food on the table and amazing people to spend the holiday with. I always give a chunk of moolah to charity at this time of the year, and this year in talking with my friends we all decided to pool our money for a housing assistance nonprofit. It's a crime how expensive it has become to just afford a roof over your head let alone providing for other basic necessities. I pray that one day worrying about how to keep a roof over your head will be something in history books only.

I wish everyone an amazing night. Soon we will be ringing in 2023, I can't believe it, the years are going by way too fast.

Well it hit 13 F on my drive home from a Christmas party. That's too cold. I'm listening to the building's heat creak and moan trying to keep up with the artic chill in the air. I feel so blessed to have a warm bed to sleep in, food on the table and amazing people to spend the holiday with. I always give a chunk of moolah to charity at this time of the year, and this year in talking with my friends we all decided to pool our money for a housing assistance nonprofit. It's a crime how expensive it has become to just afford a roof over your head let alone providing for other basic necessities. I pray that one day worrying about how to keep a roof over your head will be something in history books only.

I wish everyone an amazing night. Soon we will be ringing in 2023, I can't believe it, the years are going by way too fast.

That is a beautiful sentiment for you and your friends to be doing such a good deed to directly help others less fortunate to receive something that many of us take for granted. It is beautiful that you are doing such good to your fellow man. What a great act of human kindness. :001_smile:

True friends are the most precious treasure a human being can have.

Did you say you wanted to learn to play the piano?

Last edited:
Today is another extremely warm day for January. It is expected to go over sixty today in New York City. As I was out this morning, I saw guys in short sleeve shirts and shorts which is always a nice sight, especially in what is typically the coldest part of the year. I know that global warming and climate change is terrible for the long term, but at least for today it makes for comfortable conditions and for nice things to see as exposed flesh on the hot young guys is so preferable to them being bundled up in winter coats and hats. :wink:

I heard this song today, while it could be in the music thread, I'm going to ponder a bit...

From a distance the world looks blue and green,
and the snow-capped mountains white.
From a distance the ocean meets the stream,
and the eagle takes to flight.

From a distance, there is harmony,
and it echoes through the land.
It's the voice of hope, it's the voice of peace,
it's the voice of every man.

From a distance we all have enough,
and no one is in need.
And there are no guns, no bombs, and no disease,
no hungry mouths to feed.

From a distance we are instruments
marching in a common band.
Playing songs of hope, playing songs of peace.
They're the songs of every man.
God is watching us. God is watching us.
God is watching us from a distance.

From a distance you look like my friend,
even though we are at war.
From a distance I just cannot comprehend
what all this fighting is for.

From a distance there is harmony,
And it's the hope of hopes, it's the love of loves,
it's the heart of every man.

It's the hope of hopes, it's the love of loves.
This is the song of every man.
And God is watching us, God is watching us,
Oh, God is watching us, God is watching.

I'm not very religious and I'm not quite an athiest either; I guess I'm more of a science guy (for me seeing is believing). Is there one benevolent supreme omnipotent being ruling all? I honestly don't know, but if there is, why is there so much greed, hate and violence in the land. Statistically we are probably not the only intelligent lifeform in outer space, why would another advanced civilization want to make contact with us when we can't even coexist peacefully?

I'm so very tired of politics and war. We have all forgotten how to play nicely in the playground we call life. Children are dying of hunger and disease. Our "leaders" would rather investigate the opposition hoping to catch the other with their proverbial pants around the ankles than DO anything about how fucked up the world is becoming. We have forgotten how to communicate effectively.

I know I'm just ranting and raving here, but I'm just so very tired of bad news. I need some happy news, and badly. I send you all hugs. I like hugs. Can there ever be too many??

I heard this song today, while it could be in the music thread, I'm going to ponder a bit...

From a distance the world looks blue and green,
and the snow-capped mountains white.
From a distance the ocean meets the stream,
and the eagle takes to flight.

From a distance, there is harmony,
It's the voice of hope, it's the voice of peace,
it's the voice of every man.

From a distance we all have enough,
and no one is in need.
And there are no guns, no bombs, and no disease,
no hungry mouths to feed.

From a distance we are instruments
marching in a common band.
Playing songs of hope, playing songs of peace.
They're the songs of every man.
God is watching us. God is watching us.

From a distance you look like my friend,
even though we are at war.
From a distance I just cannot comprehend
what all this fighting is for.

From a distance there is harmony,
And it's the hope of hopes, it's the love of loves,
it's the heart of every man.

It's the hope of hopes, it's the love of loves.
This is the song of every man.
And God is watching us, God is watching us,
Oh, God is watching us, God is watching.

I'm not very religious and I'm not quite an athiest either; I guess I'm more of a science guy (for me seeing is believing). Is there one benevolent supreme omnipotent being ruling all? I honestly don't know, but if there is, why is there so much greed, hate and violence in the land. Statistically we are probably not the only intelligent lifeform in outer space, why would another advanced civilization want to make contact with us when we can't even coexist peacefully?

I'm so very tired of politics and war. We have all forgotten how to play nicely in the playground we call life. Children are dying of hunger and disease. Our "leaders" would rather investigate the opposition hoping to catch the other with their proverbial pants around the ankles than DO anything about how fucked up the world is becoming. We have forgotten how to communicate effectively.

I know I'm just ranting and raving here, but I'm just so very tired of bad news. I need some happy news, and badly. I send you all hugs. I like hugs. Can there ever be too many??

What a great song and I totally agree that there is a lot to ponder in those lyrics. Thank you very much Chac.

I missed what you wrote after posting the lyrics to the Bette Midler track. Beautiful sentiment which I totally agree with Chac.

”I’m not very religious and I'm not quite an athiest either; I guess I'm more of a science guy (for me seeing is believing). Is there one benevolent supreme omnipotent being ruling all? I honestly don't know, but if there is, why is there so much greed, hate and violence in the land. Statistically we are probably not the only intelligent lifeform in outer space, why would another advanced civilization want to make contact with us when we can't even coexist peacefully?

I know I'm just ranting and raving here, but I'm just so very tired of bad news. I need some happy news, and badly. I send you all hugs. I like hugs. Can there ever be too many??”

Some days it ain't worth getting up! Between health issues, bank error & sites that screw up. In the scheme of things these things are minuscule but it is the little things that can drive one crazy. Thanks for letting me rant. Among other things my Broke Straight Boys membership was cancelled thanks to my bloody bank. The stupid thing was when I reapplied with the very same card information, it was then accepted. So much for bank efficiency! :devilish:

It should be clear by now Broke Straight Boys is very important to me on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I'm happy tonight, I stepped on the scale and I've lost 43 lbs so far on this weight loss journey I started 3 months ago (53 down from my record high 🤯😱😱) I still have a very long way to go but I'm on my way; finally. I can already walk longer and I'm not out of breath as much, I am definitely feeling better.

That's all folks, some good news for a change 🙂

I'm happy tonight, I stepped on the scale and I've lost 43 lbs so far on this weight loss journey I started 3 months ago (53 down from my record high 🤯😱😱) I still have a very long way to go but I'm on my way; finally. I can already walk longer and I'm not out of breath as much, I am definitely feeling better.

I am so glad for you just make sure you keep up to what you have been doing.

That is fantastic news Chac. Keep up the great work!

That's mint well done, just keep moving.

My dad has a watch that counts his steps, it tells him if he;s not done enough that day; a few times over the xmas break his watch told him off :ROFLMAO: as the evening went on so we had to go for a late walk - good times. It's good motivation for him he's well into it.

That's mint well done, just keep moving.

My dad has a watch that counts his steps, it tells him if he;s not done enough that day; a few times over the xmas break his watch told him off :ROFLMAO: as the evening went on so we had to go for a late walk - good times. It's good motivation for him he's well into it.

I bought myself a pixel watch for Christmas, it yells at me every hour to do at least 250 steps. My best day was around 8000. I feel like a lump being chained to a desk at work (IT support), so I try and take a stretch break and get some steps in when it yells 😆 My coworkers are all on the steps challenge with me so we all pace around the room when its 10 minutes to the hour (the watch chimes then )🤣🤣 I can only imagine what security thinks if they ever had to look at the cameras 😁