• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Perspectives, Opinions and Point of View....Are they the same?

betudidntknow

BSB Addict
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed reading the forum and at times, I may read something that makes me "think". I recently read someone's comment and thought to myself "Wow, that was insightful to me" I remember when I first introduced myself to the forum members and I was welcomed with "....always look forward to your opinions, and perspectives......."

I started to wonder, why is it that I seem to react or respond favorably to some comments and not others? Why do some comments make me go...Ummm, that's an interesting way of looking at something? I especially enjoy gaining, through someone else's view point, an understanding of a concept that I may not have had, just based on my own experiences, or knowledge of a particular topic of discussion. So, I just decided to look up Perspectives vs Opinions and this is what I found: I thought I would shared it:001_rolleyes:

http://whowritesforyou.com/2011/01/...tinctions-that-matter-to-writers-and-readers/.

While this may not be of interest to many, I am always in search of a better understanding of the way I express my thoughts in writing as well as what others may express through theirs when I read it! Happy reading:biggrin:

That was a very good explanation Betu.

We intrinsically understand that each person can look upon another person, situation, object or ideology (religious, political, philosophical, social or otherwise) and come away with very different assessments and conclusions. Our individual versions of "reality" are actually very subjective. If that were not so, then there would be no need to have juries for trials. We could just hire one judge to sit up there and look at all of the so called "facts" of the case in order to make a much more expedient (and much more cost-effective) determination of guilt or innocence. Eye-witness accounts can be either very accurate in determining whether somebody committed a crime, or they can be heartbreakingly wrong as to true guilt or innocence either way. And that doesn't mean the witness is lying if their own conclusion based upon what they saw, is wrong.

The filters of our reality are based upon our previous life experiences, our education, upbringing, childhood, cultural influences and so on. Even when we are looking upon something in the present, we are interpreting it based upon our past. Of course as evolving spiritual beings we are always striving to adjust our belief systems to be less rigid in how we see the world. Maturity and evolvement allow us to look back at the past, the present and even the future with new insights and understanding.

That was a very good explanation Betu.

We intrinsically understand that each person can look upon another person, situation, object or ideology (religious, political, philosophical, social or otherwise) and come away with very different assessments and conclusions. Our individual versions of "reality" are actually very subjective. If that were not so, then there would be no need to have juries for trials. We could just hire one judge to sit up there and look at all of the so called "facts" of the case in order to make a much more expedient (and much more cost-effective) determination of guilt or innocence. Eye-witness accounts can be either very accurate in determining whether somebody committed a crime, or they can be heartbreakingly wrong as to true guilt or innocence either way. And that doesn't mean the witness is lying if their own conclusion based upon what they saw, is wrong.

The filters of our reality are based upon our previous life experiences, our education, upbringing, childhood, cultural influences and so on. Even when we are looking upon something in the present, we are interpreting it based upon our past. Of course as evolving spiritual beings we are always striving to adjust our belief systems to be less rigid in how we see the world. Maturity and evolvement allow us to look back at the past, the present and even the future with new insights and understanding.

Very insightful Tampa! Good comment!

Well, my understanding is that a perspective, by definition, is a point of view. A view, or perspective then, can become an opinion. Once you have decided what your view is about something, you then form a judgement of that something, or someone. That judgement then becomes your opinion of that matter or person, based on the facts that influenced your perspective which then helped to form your opinion of something. A perspective can also be used to show an attitude towards something, much like one uses one's opinion. But then, I didn't major in English, so, who knows! LOL

This is my simple answer.

1. My perspective on a particular comment or issue is to understand where the other person is coming from and thinking...

2. My opinion is based on what I believe based on my personal experiences and education on a particular issue...

3. My point of view is something I view and judge after hearing both sides of the story and then offer my thoughts on the particular issue.

That's as simple as I can express it.

For me they are all components of my total person, based on almost 66 year of living. It is hard for me to compartmentalize various aspects of "me" and how I arrive at conclusions. I am like a stew, with lot's of crap thrown in and when it is done, for better or worse it is me. :angel: