• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Olympics 2012

What a calling card

For me these were the best Olympic Games ever. Twenty-five BBC HD channels on the Astra Satellite made it possible to step in to any live event one liked. No longer one national TV channel, reporting mainly on national hero's. This time I could watch the athletics, join the public in waiting for the athletes to enter the arena. Walk in and out... Too much to see, in such little time.

These Olympics did set the British tax payer back a 9,3 billion pounds.

Disliked the Beijing Olympics for all those human right abuses. What a difference with the enthusiastic Brits! Even the closing ceremony... wow!

My compliments to Great-Britain for such beautiful days.

m1mzveca1cj9_700.jpg

Thanks Robert, that's very nice of you. What really got me was the thousands of volunteers who gave their free time to ensure everything went smoothly. Also a big hand to the British (and some other countries) military for assisting with the security. The security and intelligence communities must also be congratulated for preventing a "Munich" - but we will never hear of any failed plot until well after the Para olympics which start at the end of August.

Of course, the icing on the cake was Britain coming 3rd in the medals table. To quote a US newspaper - not bad for a country of 62 million and of the size of Michigan.

Thank you Great Britain for hosting the greatest Summer Olympics ever. Now we have an inkling of why your country is called "GREAT" Britain.

I was so impressed with this Olympics! The athletes were amazing! I was particularly fascinated with the diving this year. I was cheering for cutie Tom Daley all along, and was so pleasantly surprised that David Boudia pulled off the Gold!

The closing ceremonies were wonderful! Impressive production! Loved the whole thing! It's hard to pick a favorite part, but one stand out moment was George Michael as a leather daddy!!!

I was so impressed with this Olympics! The athletes were amazing! I was particularly fascinated with the diving this year. I was cheering for cutie Tom Daley all along, and was so pleasantly surprised that David Boudia pulled off the Gold!

The closing ceremonies were wonderful! Impressive production! Loved the whole thing! It's hard to pick a favorite part, but one stand out moment was George Michael as a leather daddy!!!

Apparently he's into that lol.. If he was a cartoon he would be featured in Tom of Finland.. He's really still hot for nearly 50.

Yes! Hot! And although his range isn't what it used to be, his voice sounded great.

Apparently he's into that lol.. If he was a cartoon he would be featured in Tom of Finland.. He's really still hot for nearly 50.

Dear jon,

I know how dedicated you have been during the London Olympics to having it fully appreciated by as many on Broke Straight Boys as possible. I have to say the entire event can be viewed as a tribute to both Olympic pursuits of the athletes themselves, while also maximizing on the inestimable human effort it required of all involved into the flawless execution of this emense and artistically overwhelming production. I particularly liked the closing event which highlighted so well the varied cultural contributions the UK has made to the Field of the Arts and timeless global entertainment from preceding decades that is still as relevant today as it was when first introduced years ago. It was most impressive to watch on TV in complete awe the many cultural gifts we have received from the UK just in my lifetime of 64 years alone.

The artistry brought to light and the great inspirational vision of the planners of these events is truly breathtaking and in itself represents the greatest complement that can be made to the British people as a whole. The planners efforts have been truly Herculean representing the UK in the grandest possible manner! The UK produced an incident free and safe international celebration of gigantic proportions for the best the world has to offer in athletics! Bravo to your Country and to all of its fellow citizens! It all has been handled with the greatest of skill and poise!

Additionally, even at 50, George Michael was a welcomed sight to see at the closing event.

Sincerely, :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Stimpy

Last edited:
Thanks Stimpy, I shall forward your post to Lord Coe. One of my fav bits of the closing ceremony was during the song Imagine by John Lennon. The kids started singing it first then they put a video of john on giant screens, then there was the fantastic bit where they got people to bring pieces of whatever it was to form his face on the ground. It brought a lump to my throat.

Thanks Stimpy, I shall forward your post to Lord Coe. One of my fav bits of the closing ceremony was during the song Imagine by John Lennon. The kids started singing it first then they put a video of john on giant screens, then there was the fantastic bit where they got people to bring pieces of whatever it was to form his face on the ground. It brought a lump to my throat.
I will have to look for a you tube of that Jon. Thanks for sharing that it took place. I think it is very appropriate for Great Britain to include the greatest musician of my lifetime in the closing ceremonies.

I want to congratulate Great Britain for hosting a fantastic Olympics. It was very well done. Bravissimo!! :biggrin:

I respect your opinion but its not so clear cut to me.

NBC broadcasts seep beyond national borders. NBC is being bashed for its coverage and I agree. Its 99% american athletes and deferred play of events. I watch with no effort and bias coverage here in Puerto Rico and its very different, less nationalistic fanfare. Not everyone is North American. Some people look to american media for a global view, this coverage erodes that. Try watching the olympics from outside the usa for once.

I agree that NBC's coverage of the event was very one-sided. I agree with much of the criticism leveled against them. Of course whenever you are broadcasting an event of such huge proportions as this, you are never going to please everyone. I wanted more BTS segments telling us some of the background of the athletes. I also wanted to see more of the opening ceremony than what NBC decided U.S. viewers wanted or needed to see. Nonetheless I really enjoyed these Olympic games.

I hope Jon will forgive us now that the games are officially over if we indulge in some fun on his thread. I have always been impressed with Tom Daley. Hearing a little bit about his father dying of brain cancer at 40 y/o was quite sad but also inspiring. I was rooting for him to win a medal also. Honestly, if he had won gold I would have been happy for him. :)

Just a final thought I failed to mention earlier...

Dear jon,

There are some songs that are simply sacred to me. John Lennon's poetic words in "Imagine" is one such example. It offers a bittersweet memory and a certain nostalgia that will never be fully realized again precisely as it was back then. It never fails to bring a heartfelt tear to my eyes everytime I hear it. But in the context of the Olympics, this had me overwhelmed with emotion while imagining what could have been and this includes many special people whose live were cut short, like the following assassinations of President JF Kennedy, his brother Attorney General Robert F Kennedy, Martin Luther King - Pivotal US Civil-Rights Leader of the 1960's, John Lennon, and in 1997 the tragic death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

When I saw those t-shirts printed with "IMAGINE" around the time of showing the picture of John Lennon, I thought to myself what a sobering tribute to John's immortal words. With the violence currently in Syria today, it remains a timely challenge to our world that John Lennon made so many decades earlier. I hope that we all are worthy of it someday in my lifetime! Just imagine what could be in our world and our children's world, if we would only abandoned our selfish motives and were all united for the common good of all people, rich or poor, black or white, gay or straight, and ...

I sincerely loved that part of the closing ceremonies, one of countless special moments!

Stimpy

Dear jon,

There are some songs that are simply sacred to me. John Lennon's poetic words in "Imagine" is one such example. It offers a bittersweet memory and a certain nostalgia that will never be fully realized again precisely as it was back then. It never fails to bring a heartfelt tear to my eyes everytime I hear it. But in the context of the Olympics, this had me overwhelmed with emotion while imagining what could have been and this includes many special people whose live were cut short, like the following assassinations of President JF Kennedy, his brother Attorney General Robert F Kennedy, Martin Luther King - Pivotal US Civil-Rights Leader of the 1960's, John Lennon, and in 1997 the tragic death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

When I saw those t-shirts printed with "IMAGINE" around the time of showing the picture of John Lennon, I thought to myself what a sobering tribute to John's immortal words. With the violence currently in Syria today, it remains a timely challenge to our world that John Lennon made so many decades earlier. I hope that we all are worthy of it someday in my lifetime! Just imagine what could be in our world and our children's world, if we would only abandoned our selfish motives and were all united for the common good of all people, rich or poor, black or white, gay or straight, and ...

I sincerely loved that part of the closing ceremonies, one of countless special moments!

Stimpy

First of all thanks for replying in normal colour lol. But yes John Lennon's words in Imagine and Give Peace a Chance should be included in every countries doctrine. The people special people you mentioned all give their all to the World and deserve the praise however, in the opening ceremony the screen flashed up the 50 + people that died in the 7/7 bombings, who at the beginning of the day set off for work and never came back.