• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

PC correctness gone mad - Washington Redskins name change

Some people have made a mountain out of a molehill regarding this issue. All I did was to read an article on the BBC news website which I thought may draw some comments from my American friends. As a Brit I saw no connection with the name Redskins as I do not see a connection with the Kansas City Chiefs or the Chicago Bears.

Regarding the thread title; well I do find political correctness over the top these days and very much time wasting which often results in unnecessary bureaucracy, expense and hurt.

My comment regarding people leaving the forum was in response to J's nasty response to my thread and to my character, which apart from Peter no one else has commented about, so it just goes to show you lot stick together to which I am quite saddened.

I shall now refrain from bringing up American topics on this forum and let you guys walk around as if nothing topical happens. Where are the forumites who used to engage in topical issues such as gun law etc ? A terrible thing happened in Washington yesterday but no one has started a thread about it, as no one has done about the floods in Colorado, where my dear friend Laura lives.

Nowadays I feel people think twice about starting a thread in case they get bit in the arse like I have done on this one. Very sad indeed.
Bull crap Jon, keep you threads coming my friend. If a member disagree's with you topic "thats okay" I'm happy for us thinking different. If a member starts to bash you for your thoughts of beliefs take the high road and disregard their ignorance. We have all stumbled on a great place to air our opinions and thoughts, don't let a single member quiet you for that. We are all adults raised to respect our fellow man, lets not lose that on our forum!!

Some people have made a mountain out of a molehill regarding this issue. All I did was to read an article on the BBC news website which I thought may draw some comments from my American friends. As a Brit I saw no connection with the name Redskins as I do not see a connection with the Kansas City Chiefs or the Chicago Bears.

Regarding the thread title; well I do find political correctness over the top these days and very much time wasting which often results in unnecessary bureaucracy, expense and hurt.

My comment regarding people leaving the forum was in response to J's nasty response to my thread and to my character, which apart from Peter no one else has commented about, so it just goes to show you lot stick together to which I am quite saddened.

I shall now refrain from bringing up American topics on this forum and let you guys walk around as if nothing topical happens. Where are the forumites who used to engage in topical issues such as gun law etc ? A terrible thing happened in Washington yesterday but no one has started a thread about it, as no one has done about the floods in Colorado, where my dear friend Laura lives.

Nowadays I feel people think twice about starting a thread in case they get bit in the arse like I have done on this one. Very sad indeed.

Yes, I actually noticed MUTUAL name calling.......and understood both sides, as I first stated. I only said something when I felt like a line was crossed. Since I was one of those members that left the forum, and one of those reasons was because of the nastiness.....I felt an extreme need to defend someone wrongly accused of driving ME away. I'm not interested in engaging in hurtful, vicious, personal attacks with anyone. I've already been there, and the effect it had on me was far greater than I care to admit.

in a pc world, the mayor of a big city is called too hands on for touching breast to test for firmness. you cannot pat a someone on the butt to so it has not been worked off.
you cannot turn a warrior into a clown to amuse the football fan.
where the line in drawn changes with the times. if there were a time when certain actions or words were not offensive, it is now that people feel empowered to say they are offended. the less civil when continue as always. the most gentle will now try to expand their word choices. few women like to be called bitch and few Italian like being called wops and few black... so why not find a different way of expressing our thoughts?
nigger hill, might have been a descriptive name for a point on the map, becomes sounds that hurt the senses.
the Washington defenders! the Washington mohawks!

in a pc world, the mayor of a big city is called too hands on for touching breast to test for firmness. you cannot pat a someone on the butt to so it has not been worked off.
you cannot turn a warrior into a clown to amuse the football fan.
where the line in drawn changes with the times. if there were a time when certain actions or words were not offensive, it is now that people feel empowered to say they are offended. the less civil when continue as always. the most gentle will now try to expand their word choices. few women like to be called bitch and few Italian like being called wops and few black... so why not find a different way of expressing our thoughts?
nigger hill, might have been a descriptive name for a point on the map, becomes sounds that hurt the senses.
the Washington defenders! the Washington mohawks!

Some good points there Another1, it will be interesting to see the outcome. Long term Redskin fans will of course be outraged to any change to the name of their famous football team but I guess if they love their football, they will turn up to watch whatever the name. A slightly similar thing happened last season in the English soccer league when Cardiff City (a Welsh club playing in the English league) were given a massive financial handout by a Chinese company. However, there were conditions and one was to change the colour of the clubs shirts from blue to red and white as these were the colours of the Chinese company. Cardiff had always been known as the Bluebirds due to their outfits colour and the blue swallow on the crest. There was outrage by thousands of members but in the end, it was a case of do as we say or you don't get financial backing. Money won.

Since I was one of those members that left the forum, and one of those reasons was because of the nastiness.....I felt an extreme need to defend someone wrongly accused of driving ME away. I'm not interested in engaging in hurtful, vicious, personal attacks with anyone. I've already been there, and the effect it had on me was far greater than I care to admit.
I'm sure glad that you are back Ms. K. I don't think anyone intentionally drove you away with their remarks, but I guess that they just don't realize how powerful words can be, even on a "silly" gay sex web forum. I hope that people think twice before they engage in verbal attacks here in the future. Your perspective, your humor and your humanity were sorely missed during your absence. I really hope that in the future we can respectfully disagree on topics but never in a vicious way.

I'm sure glad that you are back Ms. K. I don't think anyone intentionally drove you away with their remarks, but I guess that they just don't realize how powerful words can be, even on a "silly" gay sex web forum. I hope that people think twice before they engage in verbal attacks here in the future. Your perspective, your humor and your humanity were sorely missed during your absence. I really hope that in the future we can respectfully disagree on topics but never in a vicious way.

I couldn't agree more Mikey. Thank you! We can disagree with one another, as will almost certainly happen from time to time. However we still need to do it respectfully.

Owner Snyder addresses 'Redskins' name dispute

As this subject was addressed a while back, I thought I would post this AP article from October 10, where the owner of the team, Daniel Snyder said that he is not changing the name of his team. I have mixed feelings about this issue, but when my friend Peter told us on the forum that he has no problem with the team name "Redskins" and his mother is a full blooded American Indian, I understand that not all Native Americans feel as strongly as others.

But whichever side of the issue you are on, this is the latest update, and I'm sure this controversy will not go away.

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder says respect goes both ways when it comes to the debate over the team's nickname.

The man who ultimately gets to decide whether the name stays or goes offered his thoughts on the matter Tuesday in a letter to season-ticket holders, the first time he has addressed at length the change-the-name campaign that has picked up momentum this year.

The tone of the letter suggests that no change is under consideration.

''I've listened carefully to the commentary and perspectives on all sides, and I respect the feelings of those who are offended by the team name,'' the letter states. ''But I hope such individuals also try to respect what the name means, not only for all of us in the extended Washington Redskins family, but among Native Americans too.''

The letter recalls Snyder's experience when he attended his first Redskins game at age 6 and cites polls and anecdotal evidence that indicate support for the name from Native Americans. It also states that the original Boston Redskins had a Native American coach in the 1930s before the franchise relocated to Washington, even though research shows that it is unclear whether William ''Lone Star'' Dietz was an actual Indian or whether he stole the identity of a missing man from the Oglala Sioux tribe.

''The name was never a label,'' Snyder's letter states. ''It was, and continues to be, a badge of honor.''

While there have been groups calling for a name change for decades, a series of events this year has put the Redskins on the defensive like never before. Snyder has hired Lanny Davis, an adviser in the Clinton White House who specializes in managing political crises, as an adviser on the matter. The letter released Tuesday shows more sensitivity than the owner's last on-the-record comment on the topic, when he told USA Today in May: ''We'll never change the name. It's that simple. NEVER - you can use caps.''

In recent months, local leaders in Washington and some members of Congress have called for a name change, and some media outlets have stopped using the name. It is also the subject of a long-running legal challenge from a group of American Indians seeking to void the team's federal trademark protection.

Indian activist Suzan Shown Harjo, a major figure in the trademark case before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, was unimpressed with Snyder's letter. She disputed several points, including the reference to Dietz, whom she said is part of the team's ''time-dishonored history of putting up pseudo-Indians as part of their promotion.''

Harjo also rebuffed an assertion by Snyder that the team has an obligation to its fans to preserve its heritage.

''Part of that heritage and tradition is name-calling, belittling and maligning Native Peoples,'' Harjo said in an email to The Associated Press. ''The n-word was traditional and had quite a heritage, too. Happily, not all traditions are carried on forever.''

Last week, President Barack Obama told The Associated Press that he would ''think about changing'' the name if he owned the team. This week, the NFL said it will meet with representatives from the Oneida Indian Nation, which has been airing radio commercials pushing for a change. Commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday that the league needs to ''carefully listen'' to critics of the name and ''make sure we're doing what's right.''

Like Harjo, Oneida representative Ray Halbritter differed with the interpretation of the team's history in Snyder's letter. Oneida said the team's nickname ''was deliberately designed to denigrate people of color.''

''Unfortunately that ploy was successful,'' Halbritter said in a statement. ''The marketing of this racial slur has had - and continues to have - very serious cultural, political, and public health consequences for my people and Native Americans everywhere. It is clear from Mr. Snyder's letter that he does not understand those consequences.''

In the statement, Halbritter invited Snyder to take part in the tribe's upcoming meeting with the NFL.

Washington coach Mike Shanahan said he was glad that that Snyder ''expressed exactly how he feels from an ownership standpoint.''

Goodell has said that it is ultimately Snyder's call as to whether the name will be changed. For now, it appears the owner is not budging.

''I respect the opinions of those who disagree. I want them to know that I do hear them, and I will continue to listen and learn,'' the letter states. ''But we cannot ignore our 81 year history, or the strong feelings of most of our fans as well as Native Americans throughout the country. After 81 years, the team name 'Redskins' continues to hold the memories and meaning of where we came from, who we are, and who we want to be in the years to come.''

700.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/articles/wa...ocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default

The Onion, devastatingly accurate as always.