• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

My Family Ancestry

gwr19569424

Reaction score
Okay guys, here I go. I am in the process of trying to pick up on my family history from where it was left off some 30-40 years ago. Any suggestions on any other reliable sources besides the web site, Ancestry.com?
I was given by my father this afternoon a piece of the Family Ancestors that me father had done a report on when he was is either high school or junior high. Would appreciate any assistance that I can get.
Thanks, Gary

Geneology

Okay guys, here I go. I am in the process of trying to pick up on my family history from where it was left off some 30-40 years ago. Any suggestions on any other reliable sources besides the web site, Ancestry.com?
I was given by my father this afternoon a piece of the Family Ancestors that me father had done a report on when he was is either high school or junior high. Would appreciate any assistance that I can get.
Thanks, Gary

The best people in the world are with the Church of JC and LDS (Mormons).
Also you can get some great help at your local library, where in most cases you can research the census (currently 1934 and earlier).

Hope this little bit helps.

Jayce

Thanks, Gary

Hi Gary.
If you post me what you have and what you are trying to find i will see if i can help you.
I have access to 2 sites. One that is free and one that i pay for. Do you have any certificates, birth, marriage, death, as they will help you a lot. Send me a pm if you don't want to put the info on the site.
The free site i use is rootschat.com
Reuben

I have heard that 23andme.com is pretty cool...the send you like this at home DNA kit so that its a really close match to any 'ancestors' that would be on record

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I did join last night, Ancestry.com. Right now I am building my family tree from the information that my family gave me yesterday from a piece of our family history and his childhood years.
In answer to your question rifle about any Indian Blood, not on my dad's side of the family. We are of French decent.
Gary

Rifle: To the best of my knowledge and from what I have in handwritten form that me dad gave me, I had a great, great, great, great grandfather, William R. Remy, the first that was born in 1755 at Abingdon, VA. I have been able to trace him and his offspring using Ancestry.com. He married Eleanor Harrison (a sister of William Henry Harrison), and moved to Paintsville, KY according to land grants.
I'll write in a separate post of what I was given pertaining to my descendants.
I do not know if any of my family were members of the DAR, DOC, or SOC.
I do understand that while my dad was growing up that one of our aunts did the research of the family history and had it published, but only 2 books were published due to the very high cost. Do not know where those 2 books are now though.
Gary

Okay, here is a portion of the early history of the Remy's. I hope this does not bore anyone.
According to the traditions and records, the Remy family is descended from Count Raoul de Remy of Picardy, France. There were three brothers driven from France after the repel of the E'dict of Nantes, and the ensuing persecution of Protestants in France, came over with the Hugenots.
During the trip across the sea (on the Peter and Paul ship) we are told one brother met and fell in love with a charming young girl who was also crossing and who is known to us only as Bess. After their safe arrival in America, they married and established their new home in Abingdon, Washington County, Virginia.
The brothers served in the Revolutionary War and were given land grants.
The site that later became Mount Vernon or land adjoining it, was one of those grants.
Some of the early Remy's became Baptist ministers, some were doctors, and we are even told that some were pirates, but that was a long time ago--so long that piracy was considered at least an honorable means of livelihood if not on actual mark of rank and distinction.
The original spelling of the name was RE'MY but it has been perverted into Ramey, Ramy, Reamey, Rhemy, and about twenty-five other spellings.
The Rheims Cathedral is supposed to have been designed by Saint Rheims or Re'my.
Early records in Virginia show Abram Remy as being in charge of a load of refugees who came from France and being provided with corn to carry them over until a crop could be raised.

So, that is all I have besides the actual family members and what they did. I have not birth, death, marriage or other legal documents on anyone. Not even old, old pictures.

Gary

Could very well be that your descended from a ridge runner. That's what the families are called that settled along the edge of the Appalachians and then moved south and west. Of course you know its in Johnson County where Loretta Lynn was born (Butcher Holler) and used to be called Paint Lick. Go to: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kyjchs/inquiries-form.htm
That's the address for the Johnson County Historical Society and Genealogical Society. They advertise help by mail for $5.00 (very reasonable) but they'll only answer 2 questions. I'd ask them for the address of anyone else researching William R. Remy and a list of his children (and their birth year) if they have them. From the address we can attach outselves to another researcher and maybe join in with their research form moviing both forward and backward (genealogists love to come in contact with others in the same line - it helps fill in their charts and gives them a chance to show off what they have) and from the list of chidlren and birth years we can start calculating ages toward 1850 (the year the census published the name of everyone living in every household and the name of the state they were born in). With that information we can maybe link into where the family moved after Kentucky. If they were true ridge runners it could be Georgia, Alabama, Louisianna, Texas, or even Arkansas. If not, they may have moved north to Illinois or Iowa or may have gone with the first settlers into Missouri. Be sure to make contact with the Johnson Society. Sometimes they'll have huge files that might contain great amounts on individual families. They could well be a Daughters of the American Revolution repository. An interesting story I found on Paintsville - they passed a law prohibiting the flying of both the Union and Confederate flag at the start of the Civil War. It didn't take long for them to be overrun by the South.

Rifle; Looks as if as stated earlier, William R. Remy I was born in Abington, VA and settled in Paintsville, KY. William R. Remy II never said where he was born, in 1870, but died on the old Spradlen farm near Paintsville, KY. Then my dad's great grandfather, William Charles Remy was born at Paintsville in 1812. He died August 7, 1900 at Albia, Iowa. He served in the 35th Wisconsin Infantry. My dad grandfather, William Charles Remy was born Feb 6, 1861 at Beetown, Wisconsin. He died Nov. 20, 1928 at Burlington, Kansas.
My dad's father was John William Remy, born Feb. 4, 1901 in Albia, Iowa. If I remember right, he died in late 1968 in Hawthorn, CA. My dad was born Nov. 17, 1932 in Burlington, Kansas. I was born January 13, 1956 in Wichita, KS.
Gary