• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Members favourite music

I was going through some of my late dad's LPs this morning and came across the classic Genesis album Wind and Wuthering. Some songs I hear bring back so many memories of dad as we used to listen to his music together, and when I listened to this one this morning I ended up an emotional wreck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeZRdd_1b4g

Then I found this video of Steve Hackett's band doing the same song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbKEGfjmcso

Here are the words - They don't write stuff like this anymore :eek:(

Dark and grey, an English film, the Wednesday Play
We always watch the Queen on Christmas Day
Won't you stay?

Though your eyes see shipwrecked sailors you're still dry
The outlook's fine though Wales might have some rain
Saved again.

Let's skip the news boy (I'll make some tea)
The Arabs and the Jews boy (too much for me)
They get me confused boy (puts me off to sleep)
And the thing I hate - Oh Lord!
Is staying up late, to watch some debate, on some nation's fate.

Hypnotised by Batman, Tarzan, still surprised!
You've won the West in time to be our guest
Name your prize!

Drop of wine, a glass of beer dear what's the time?
The grime on the Tyne is mine all mine all mine
Five past nine.

Blood on the rooftops - Venice in the Spring
Streets of San Francisco - a word from Peking
The trouble was started - by a young Errol Flynn
Better in my day - Oh Lord!
For when we got bored, we'd have a world war, happy but poor

So let's skip the news boy (I'll go make that tea)
Blood on the rooftops (too much for me)
When old Mother Goose stops - they're out for 23
Then the rain at Lords stopped play
Seems Helen of Troy has found a new face again.

Last edited:
Great melody. I am glad I read the lyrics before listening to the song. thanks, Jon.

Jon, you're right about Wind and Wuthering being a classic album....my friend is a big Genesis fan and regularly plays that album to this day.

Music does have the ability to bring out all sorts of emotions in the listener, especially when a song is associated with a particular person or event. Memories of loved ones no longer with us can be a wonderful solace at times, but often the memories are also tinged with sadness.

I hope your smile is back today.

I hope your smile is back today.

It is Grace thank you. There is nothing like remembering your lost and loved. In fact most of the music I quote within this thread is dedicated to my Dad.

I don't always come out in a wreck, it's just songs that give me goose pimples - like the one above. I generally prefer songs that are played in minor or sad keys as there is something moving in them. And I'm happy when I speak to you girls and guys on this forum, you are like an extended family - all 14000 miles away lol.

Yea. So I've been walking around all day running errands singing this song. And I only got about 400309238 double-takes and dumb looks but it got stuck in my head and I couldn't get it out!

Yea. So I've been walking around all day running errands singing this song. And I only got about 400309238 double-takes and dumb looks but it got stuck in my head and I couldn't get it out!

I can understand why it sticks in your head Miss D. BTW your tumblr site is pretty impressive. x

After some really bad news today re Mike Robbins, then the news about 14 killings in Denver, Colorado - this song is appropriate - sorry for the repeat but it's worth it. Dave Matthews Band "Cry Freedom"

Last edited:

I can see how that song would get stuck in your head all day. No doubt you'd get more than a few stares if you were heard singing a few bars of it. haha Great find. Thanks MissD.! :biggrin: