• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

BP and the Oil Spill

Will you buy petrol or anything else from a BP station in the future?

• Absolutely, doesn't matter to me

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Never

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Depends on their prices and those of their competitors

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I'm still torn, depends on how the situation plays out

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
Jon at the newsdesk signing off...

LOL Well I do agree that BBC is a far better source of unbiased news that will be found in many parts of the world. The U.S. included.

I think it is rather unfortunate that they are appointing an American as CEO of BP. For the very reasons that you are articulating now. It seems like a ploy to placate the American public. More so than putting the most competent man (or woman) in the job. I certainly hope that he brings more to the table than just an American passport. BP needs some very strong and wise leadership right now. If Dudley is up to the task, then great. But if he's not it could be disastrous for the company and the Gulf Coast region.

This is Tampa reporting to you live from the Gulf of Mexico. Back to you Jon. xx :biggrin:

BP to set asside $32.2 billion to cover oil spill costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10770252

Hayward will be given his annual salary of 1 million or so pounds and also his accrued pension pot of 11 million pounds. I think at this point it is important to state that since he became CEO the company went from strength to strength and due to that success they were able to pay for the costing of the disaster.

Tony Hayward was a victim of the buck stops at the top plus his less than convincing performance in front of Congress. The US media (and Obama) made him public enemy nr 1 so this didn't help either. The UK media were a bit more lenient towards him and stressed that he was quick to put up his hands and take the rap albeit it was US sub contract companies such as Haliburton that were actual on site and maintaining the rigs.
Haliburton contined to keep schtum whilst announcing 86 million profit a few weeks ago.

Obama will be best advised to watch his back very carefully in the future. He has not exactly come out of this squeeky clean either and some of his public comments were certainly not what should be stated by a man in his position.

Jon signing off at the helm..

Sorry to keep bumping this thread up, but it is very interesting. Here is an article I found from a British Share Dealing forum.

From another place, and interesting.

"29/07/2010 11:07 UPDATE: Shell's Flagship Field Feels Pain Of US Drilling Ban

LONDON (Dow Jones)--Royal Dutch Shell PLC (RDSB) said Thursday its flagship deep water field in the Gulf of Mexico, Perdido, has been shut down since April because of the U.S. drilling moratorium and will only resume production at a slower than expected rate in October.

Perdido's shutdown, less than a month after it started production to great fanfare, is a stark illustration of the impact of the U.S. ban on deep water drilling following the blowout and oil spill from BP PLC's (BP) Macondo well.

Perdido was expected to produce 100,000 barrels a day of oil, enough to meet the energy needs of 2.2 million U.S. households, but will now reach that target much more slowly than expected.

Shell had hailed Perdido as opening up a new frontier in deep water oil production.

"It is the most technologically-advanced facility in the world," being further offshore and in deeper water than any other field, said Tyler Priest, oil historian and professor at the University of Houston at the field's launch in March. It sits on top of a giant floating steel cylinder designed to stay upright even in powerful hurricanes.

However, the ban has prevented Shell from drilling essential production wells connected to the Perdido platform, said Chief Financial Officer Simon Henry in a conference call with reporters. The company has also had to idle seven drilling rigs in the region and write off $56 million in its second quarter results because of the moratorium, he said.

Despite not being able to use the deep-water rigs, which can cost around $500,000 a day to lease, Shell has no plans to put them to work elsewhere, said Henry.

"A six-month moratorium is too short to make it economically attractive to move the rigs," he said, adding that in some cases Shell has been able to negotiate a 60-70% reduction in the daily cost of leasing the rigs.

The Obama administration ordered the six-month moratorium on drilling in deep water following the explosion aboard the Transocean Ltd. (RIG) drilling platform Deepwater Horizon on April 20. The blast killed 11 men and triggered the worst oil spill in U.S. history as an estimated 4 million barrels fouled the Gulf of Mexico.

The ban has been condemned by many people in the oil industry as an over reaction that threatens thousands of jobs and the earnings of countless businesses that depend on the region's oil industry.

The initial moratorium, announced May 27, was overruled by a federal judge in June following a legal challenge from a number of oil services companies. The Obama administration responded by issuing a new moratorium July 13.

The moratorium is intended to pause deep water drilling until investigations into the cause of the Deepwater Horizon blast are published this fall. BP's own internal investigation will issue preliminary findings at the end of August."

The sooner the US government lifts this ban the better. Shell is not BP and has a more responsible attitude to safety case, well design and procedures. Just a pity than we cannot sue the US government for loss of revenue - can't afford to alienate the Yanks.

----------------------------------------

No comment on the last part. The politics of oil will eventually win out and the moratorium will be dropped. For all the reasons you mentioned above. Protecting jobs, including U.S. jobs. And the fact that the U.S. consumes one fourth of all world oil production each year. Even though the U.S. is less than 5% of the global population.

And as Hillary Clinton said during the presidential campaign, "Right now we are borrowing money from the Chinese to buy oil from the Saudis."

How's that working for us?

In a bit of good news for Gulf coastal residents AND British stockholders of BP...the oil spill seems to be dissipating much more quickly than expected. It doesn't mean that the seafood there is safe to eat. It will take years to assess how much the oil and the thousands of gallons of chemical dispersants used on the spill impact the wildlife and ecosystem. It doesn't mean that the oil spill has disappeared. But the fact that it is breaking up and breaking down due quickly, due to natural bacteria that feeds on oil...is obviously good news for everyone. On both sides of the pond.

No comment on the last part. The politics of oil will eventually win out and the moratorium will be dropped. For all the reasons you mentioned above. Protecting jobs, including U.S. jobs. And the fact that the U.S. consumes one fourth of all world oil production each year. Even though the U.S. is less than 5% of the global population.

And as Hillary Clinton said during the presidential campaign, "Right now we are borrowing money from the Chinese to buy oil from the Saudis."

How's that working for us?

In a bit of good news for Gulf coastal residents AND British stockholders of BP...the oil spill seems to be dissipating much more quickly than expected. It doesn't mean that the seafood there is safe to eat. It will take years to assess how much the oil and the thousands of gallons of chemical dispersants used on the spill impact the wildlife and ecosystem. It doesn't mean that the oil spill has disappeared. But the fact that it is breaking up and breaking down due quickly, due to natural bacteria that feeds on oil...is obviously good news for everyone. On both sides of the pond.

I wonder what the bacteria will feed on when there is no oil???:001_unsure: I seem to remember a story from elementary school that makes my point here. "I Know and Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly."

Here is the latest from msn news. Even after extensive investigations showing other parties also to be involved, it appears that the US govt still want BP's head on the chopping block.

"BP's investigation into the Gulf of Mexico spill sparked a backlash from its contractors and US politicians who accused the oil giant of attempting to shift some of the blame.

The internal inquiry, led by the company's head of safety and operations, Mark Bly, found BP was responsible in part for the tragedy, but also pointed the finger at rig owner Transocean and cement contractor Halliburton.

The report said a "complex and interlinked" series of events involving mechanical failures and human judgments led to the disaster.

The explosion on April 20 killed 11 workers and caused an estimated 4.9 million barrels of oil to gush into the Gulf - the largest offshore spill in history.

Commenting on yesterday's findings, outgoing chief executive Tony Hayward, who was forced to stand down in the wake of the disaster, said: "The investigation report provides critical new information on the causes of this terrible accident. It is evident that a series of complex events, rather than a single mistake or failure, led to the tragedy. Multiple parties, including BP, Halliburton and Transocean, were involved."

The four-month investigation found shoddy cement work at the bottom of the Deepwater Horizon well failed to hold gas and oil in its reservoir, which leaked into the casing.

BP and Transocean employees then incorrectly accepted negative pressure readings in the crucial minutes before the explosion - meaning they did not spot the gas leak, the inquiry found.

Further mechanical failures then allowed gas to be vented directly on to the rig rather than being diverted overboard - where it ignited. The rig's blow-out preventer, a protective valve, should have sealed the well but failed to operate.

Based on its key findings, the investigation team proposed a total of 25 recommendations designed to prevent such an incident. The recommendations are directed at strengthening blow-out preventers, well control, pressure-testing for wells, emergency systems, cement testing, rig audit and verification, and personnel competence.

Accepting full responsibility for the disaster could lead to BP being found guilty of gross negligence and fined up to 20 billion US dollars (£13 billion) so it was always likely to maintain its stance that other parties were involved."

It might be nice if, once in a while, all the facts were known before the bashing began. I know we live in a world where it’s convenient to look for someone to blame and, right now, the US appears to be it. However, let’s be fair. 40% of BP’s assets are within the boundaries of the United States – that’s almost half, and a large percentage of BP’s stock is American owned. That means those assets and that stock falls under America’s protection. I’m a BP stockholder. When the disaster struck, that stock dropped through the floor. There was a great deal of concern about pensioners all over the world who depended on the dividends paid by that stock and on the value of that stock for their security.

Now, like it or not, Obama does not control BP. Neither does the United States Congress. They can investigate the explosion in the Caribbean all they want to and reach whatever conclusions they want to, but they cannot force a corporation to change its leadership. BP stockholders elected a new president and they elected an American. Why, because they recognized that in order to stabilize the market value of what they owned, they would have to assure the world that those 40% of its assets were stable. They did. Stock, which had dropped from $62.38 a share to $26.75 a share is now back up to $41.36 a share. That’s not Obama’s action, that’s BP’s action. BP recognized a problem and acted to control it.

As to the crisis in the Caribbean, it is a disaster of such magnitude as to defy description. The economies of five states and a dozen or more nations have experienced drastic and long-term effects. Certainly the United States Congress has the right to investigate it and to subpoena whomever it chooses to interview. Obama has the responsibility to represent 275 million Americans in this process and he is doing so. It is not a pleasant duty nor likely to be perceived as such.

Where does his right to request foreign nationals to participate in such an investigation come from? Well, there was a ship: The Torrey Canyon. It was built in the US, registered in Liberia, owned by Barracuda Tanker, and chartered to British Petroleum. Carrying 120,000 gallons of petroleum, on March 18, 1967 it struck a reef off the coast of the Cornish mainland. It was the first major oil spill in the world. Some 50 miles of French coast and 150 miles of Cornish coast were contaminated. 15,000 birds and all fish were killed within 270 square miles. In Cornwall they simply plowed the oil under the sand with bulldozers. The RAF dropped 42 bombs onto the oil slick, a fourth of them missed.

How did the British government serve it’s writ on British Petroleum for the damages incurred? It flew to Singapore and had the Torrey Canyon’s sister ship, Lake Palourde, seized. France tried to do the same thing but the Palourde outran them. The British agent got on board by telling the crew it was a whiskey salesman. It was a lot of international intrigue and international law was created. The disaster led to many changes in international regulations, for example the Civil Liability Convention (CLC) of 1969 was established creating the authority to investigate. It was done on behalf of the UK.

Of course, up until now, the worst at sea disaster was Piper Alpha at $1.6 billion. In it roles were reversed. Occidental, an American company, operated a platform in the North Sea. On July 6, 1988 it exploded, killing 167 men. Total insured loss was about £1.7 billion (US$ 3.4 billion. You can calculate the amount in 2009 dollars). At the time of the disaster the platform accounted for approximately ten percent of North Sea oil and gas production, and was the worst offshore oil disaster in terms of lives lost and industry impact.

The Cullen Inquiry was set up in November 1988 to establish the cause of the disaster. In November 1990, it concluded that the initial condensate leak was the result of maintenance work being carried out simultaneously on a pump and related safety valve. The enquiry was critical of Piper Alpha's operator, Occidental, which was found guilty of having inadequate maintenance and safety procedures. But no criminal charges were ever brought against it. The second phase of the enquiry made 106 recommendations for changes to North Sea safety procedures, all of which were accepted by industry. The disaster led to insurance claims of around US$ 1.4 billion, making it at that time the largest insured man-made catastrophe. The insurance and reinsurance claims process revealed serious weaknesses in the way insurers at Lloyd's of London and elsewhere kept track of their potential exposures, and led to their procedures being reformed. All of these inquiries were made by British councils and government institutions. Americans testified at all of them.

I’m not advocating anything. I’m just saying I don’t believe we’ll know all the facts until all the facts are known. It will be a long time before anybody can say what happened with that well with any certainty. It’s going to take a lot of house cleaning on both sides of the Atlantic because there is blame enough to be shared. Rest assured, no single individual is responsible. This is not a case where Pastrengo Rugiati was taking a shortcut and struck a reef as he did with the Torrey Canyon. In terms of its effect on the environment, the conclusions are still unreached.

The 1962 Centralia Coal Mine Fire in Pennsylvania is still burning. Chernobyl in 1982 exposed 600,000 to radiation and it may be a hundred years before we know the full impact.

And, of course, in 2005, the third largest refinery in the United States blew up in a suburb of Houston, that’s 5.7 million people exposed to 18,354,000 gallons of exploding petroleum. It was also owned by British Petroleum. Strangely, Lord Browne, the head of BP at that time, was forced to resign and Tony Hayward took over. Now, with the April disaster, Hayward is out and Dudley is in. I really don’t think Obama had anything to do with either of the changes. The stockholders of BP did, through their elected Board of Governors.

It’s all right to criticize the United States. We do a lot of things badly. We stick our noses where they don’t belong. We express opinions where we have no right nor reason to express them and we meddle in things in which we lack the justification to do so. But sometimes we’re in our own backyard minding our own business and others do the same to us.

O’Bama is not perfect nor has every decision of his been a wise one but think where we could be now: we could be at the bottom of this hole with privatized social security, a collapsed banking system, no end in sight to the Middle East, absolutely no health care of any sort, no taxes on corporations of any kind, and a superdome full of shit.

Instead we have a revived banking system which has already paid back its loans, the beginnings of guaranteed health care, a start to a pullout from the war, Social Security that is still being paid, an end to the horrendous Bush tax cuts, and Memphis and Nashville are on their way back in September from disasters in May. And, for the first time in a century heterosexual divorce rates went down in a state in which gay marriage is legal. I’d say some things are going right. (That last thing has nothing to do with government, but the radical right has made such a todo about so called moral decline, I think their faces need to be shoved in their own pile for a while.)

I didn’t write this to debate anyone or to argue any points. I just wanted to put my position in perspective. I’m sure there are those who will rip it to shreds simply because I wrote it. That’s their privilege.

I agree it was a well written post but it wasn't really an answer to the article that I found, maybe it wasn't intended to be. What I would like to say is that when/if an independant enquiry is made that IF, as the BP report indicates, other companies like Haliburton and Transocean are partially to blame, that they get their asses kicked too.

Personally, I am not a big believer of subcontracting, especially in an environment that could endanger safety. My main reason is that a company e.g BP did not employ the subcontractors' staff so they may have gone through a much less rigorous selection process. Unfortunately most large businesses these do subcontract, and in some cases the subcontractors subcontract others, so the standards drop even lower. Apparently it's far cheaper to hire contractors than your own staff

Priorities

[...] The sooner the US government lifts this ban the better. Shell is not BP and has a more responsible attitude to safety case, well design and procedures. Just a pity than we cannot sue the US government for loss of revenue - can't afford to alienate the Yanks.

I don't think that the differing safety records between BP and Shell are germane to the moratorium. The oil industry is committed to preventing these accidents -- plenty of money toward R&D and the best new designs in blow-out preventers, valves, sealants, redundancies, etc., but they have done far too little in the area of "what happens if, in spite of our best efforts, an accident does occur and we cannot contain the oil?" The disaster in the Gulf of Mexico displayed for all the world the "state-of-the-art" in oil-spill cleanup technology and methods. It is pitiful and weak. Especially with oil gushing at such depths and fouling delicate and vital wetlands. Even the impact of the use of large amounts of oil dispersant is unknown.

So Shell, with its great safety procedures, has a new, very high-tech deep water drilling platform that is suffering unfairly under this moratorium. It was designed to withstand a hurricane, for heaven's sake! Can't we just deduce that an unintended, serious event will not take place on such a fine rig as the Perdido? That is how the oil industry has long operated. Look at all the rigs that haven't exploded, and compare them to the ones that have. It is clearly anomalous! So why waste money on clean-up tech for a potential disaster with such long odds? It's not as if the wetlands can't recover... right?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could simply assume that what happened on the Deep Water Horizon will never happen again with any other company drilling at extreme depths?

That is what we are expected to do if we lift the moratorium on deep water drilling before we #1) understand why/how it happened so that steps are taken to mitigate the chances of a redux, and #2) have a system in place that will effectively clean up after an accident of this magnitude, preserving fragile coastal ecology in the process.

I have little doubt that political pressure will cause the moratorium to be lifted before #2 above is realized. Hooray?

Brilliant

It might be nice if, once in a while, all the facts were known before the bashing began. I know we live in a world where it’s convenient to look for someone to blame and, right now, the US appears to be it. However, let’s be fair. 40% of BP’s assets are within the boundaries of the United States – that’s almost half, and a large percentage of BP’s stock is American owned. That means those assets and that stock falls under America’s protection. I’m a BP stockholder. When the disaster struck, that stock dropped through the floor. There was a great deal of concern about pensioners all over the world who depended on the dividends paid by that stock and on the value of that stock for their security.

Now, like it or not, Obama does not control BP. Neither does the United States Congress. They can investigate the explosion in the Caribbean all they want to and reach whatever conclusions they want to, but they cannot force a corporation to change its leadership. BP stockholders elected a new president and they elected an American. Why, because they recognized that in order to stabilize the market value of what they owned, they would have to assure the world that those 40% of its assets were stable. They did. Stock, which had dropped from $62.38 a share to $26.75 a share is now back up to $41.36 a share. That’s not Obama’s action, that’s BP’s action. BP recognized a problem and acted to control it.

As to the crisis in the Caribbean, it is a disaster of such magnitude as to defy description. The economies of five states and a dozen or more nations have experienced drastic and long-term effects. Certainly the United States Congress has the right to investigate it and to subpoena whomever it chooses to interview. Obama has the responsibility to represent 275 million Americans in this process and he is doing so. It is not a pleasant duty nor likely to be perceived as such.

Where does his right to request foreign nationals to participate in such an investigation come from? Well, there was a ship: The Torrey Canyon. It was built in the US, registered in Liberia, owned by Barracuda Tanker, and chartered to British Petroleum. Carrying 120,000 gallons of petroleum, on March 18, 1967 it struck a reef off the coast of the Cornish mainland. It was the first major oil spill in the world. Some 50 miles of French coast and 150 miles of Cornish coast were contaminated. 15,000 birds and all fish were killed within 270 square miles. In Cornwall they simply plowed the oil under the sand with bulldozers. The RAF dropped 42 bombs onto the oil slick, a fourth of them missed.

How did the British government serve it’s writ on British Petroleum for the damages incurred? It flew to Singapore and had the Torrey Canyon’s sister ship, Lake Palourde, seized. France tried to do the same thing but the Palourde outran them. The British agent got on board by telling the crew it was a whiskey salesman. It was a lot of international intrigue and international law was created. The disaster led to many changes in international regulations, for example the Civil Liability Convention (CLC) of 1969 was established creating the authority to investigate. It was done on behalf of the UK.

Of course, up until now, the worst at sea disaster was Piper Alpha at $1.6 billion. In it roles were reversed. Occidental, an American company, operated a platform in the North Sea. On July 6, 1988 it exploded, killing 167 men. Total insured loss was about £1.7 billion (US$ 3.4 billion. You can calculate the amount in 2009 dollars). At the time of the disaster the platform accounted for approximately ten percent of North Sea oil and gas production, and was the worst offshore oil disaster in terms of lives lost and industry impact.

The Cullen Inquiry was set up in November 1988 to establish the cause of the disaster. In November 1990, it concluded that the initial condensate leak was the result of maintenance work being carried out simultaneously on a pump and related safety valve. The enquiry was critical of Piper Alpha's operator, Occidental, which was found guilty of having inadequate maintenance and safety procedures. But no criminal charges were ever brought against it. The second phase of the enquiry made 106 recommendations for changes to North Sea safety procedures, all of which were accepted by industry. The disaster led to insurance claims of around US$ 1.4 billion, making it at that time the largest insured man-made catastrophe. The insurance and reinsurance claims process revealed serious weaknesses in the way insurers at Lloyd's of London and elsewhere kept track of their potential exposures, and led to their procedures being reformed. All of these inquiries were made by British councils and government institutions. Americans testified at all of them.

I’m not advocating anything. I’m just saying I don’t believe we’ll know all the facts until all the facts are known. It will be a long time before anybody can say what happened with that well with any certainty. It’s going to take a lot of house cleaning on both sides of the Atlantic because there is blame enough to be shared. Rest assured, no single individual is responsible. This is not a case where Pastrengo Rugiati was taking a shortcut and struck a reef as he did with the Torrey Canyon. In terms of its effect on the environment, the conclusions are still unreached.

The 1962 Centralia Coal Mine Fire in Pennsylvania is still burning. Chernobyl in 1982 exposed 600,000 to radiation and it may be a hundred years before we know the full impact.

And, of course, in 2005, the third largest refinery in the United States blew up in a suburb of Houston, that’s 5.7 million people exposed to 18,354,000 gallons of exploding petroleum. It was also owned by British Petroleum. Strangely, Lord Browne, the head of BP at that time, was forced to resign and Tony Hayward took over. Now, with the April disaster, Hayward is out and Dudley is in. I really don’t think Obama had anything to do with either of the changes. The stockholders of BP did, through their elected Board of Governors.

It’s all right to criticize the United States. We do a lot of things badly. We stick our noses where they don’t belong. We express opinions where we have no right nor reason to express them and we meddle in things in which we lack the justification to do so. But sometimes we’re in our own backyard minding our own business and others do the same to us.

O’Bama is not perfect nor has every decision of his been a wise one but think where we could be now: we could be at the bottom of this hole with privatized social security, a collapsed banking system, no end in sight to the Middle East, absolutely no health care of any sort, no taxes on corporations of any kind, and a superdome full of shit.

Instead we have a revived banking system which has already paid back its loans, the beginnings of guaranteed health care, a start to a pullout from the war, Social Security that is still being paid, an end to the horrendous Bush tax cuts, and Memphis and Nashville are on their way back in September from disasters in May. And, for the first time in a century heterosexual divorce rates went down in a state in which gay marriage is legal. I’d say some things are going right. (That last thing has nothing to do with government, but the radical right has made such a todo about so called moral decline, I think their faces need to be shoved in their own pile for a while.)

I didn’t write this to debate anyone or to argue any points. I just wanted to put my position in perspective. I’m sure there are those who will rip it to shreds simply because I wrote it. That’s their privilege.

Dear aquarius,

No, Brilliantly objective! I want to thank you for your time spend on this well researched article. Today, our mainline news media seems only interested in reporting the blatantly obvious superficial stories or provided it offers some payoff for its entertainment value. Who now really cares if we know that is actually going on around the globe? Certainly not the network news divisions and management.

When I grew up, giants the likes of Walter Cronkite etc. weren't concerned if the News Division was profitable or not. They just wanted to present the news as objectively as possible as a public service and to outperform the other full time news bureaus by getting to the story first.

Our so called 24-hour news cycle is only marketing bs. Most of the existing news bureaus stationed around the world have been eliminated due to cost cutting to reflect this new directive that News must pay for itself, just like the other network divisions. This is just one more example where the so-called "business model" doesn't work or even work for the benefit of US citizens at large.

Our so called 24-hour news cycle is only marketing bs. Most of the existing news bureaus stationed around the world have been eliminated due to cost cutting to reflect this new directive that News must pay for itself, just like the other network divisions. This is just one more example where the so-called "business model" doesn't work or even work for the benefit of US citizens at large.

So true CR,

It's no coincidence that the 24 hour news cycle coincided with one of the most politically polarizing periods of U.S. politics. It's now full of "News you can use". Although it seems counter-intuitive, the 24 hour news cycle has actually ended up giving less depth to the coverage.

It's not enough that you give a balanced presentation of an issue and then be even handed in giving the opposing viewpoints. That would be boring! Not good for ratings or subscription rates. In order for the viewer or reader to have something entertaining to talk about at the water cooler at work you have to be over the top. It's not enough to say that a person is wrong on an issue. You must have soemone frothing at the mouth telling you that this person is a right wing reactionary radical. Or a radical socialist bent on a communist takeover of the country.

And yet this passes for objective journalism.

The Blame Game

I agree it was a well written post but it wasn't really an answer to the article that I found, maybe it wasn't intended to be. What I would like to say is that when/if an independant enquiry is made that IF, as the BP report indicates, other companies like Haliburton and Transocean are partially to blame, that they get their asses kicked too.

Personally, I am not a big believer of subcontracting, especially in an environment that could endanger safety. My main reason is that a company e.g BP did not employ the subcontractors' staff so they may have gone through a much less rigorous selection process. Unfortunately most large businesses these do subcontract, and in some cases the subcontractors subcontract others, so the standards drop even lower. Apparently it's far cheaper to hire contractors than your own staff

Dear Jon,

Everytime I hear of seeking out subcontactors, whether it be for the defense department, the state or federal prision system, State Highway Departments, blue panel commissions on Public Education, Health Care Providers, Food and drug manufacturers, major manufacturers like GM or Toyota, or even poor little BP, in the back of the minds of all of these so-called decision makers is the lure of opening up of some blame game should things not go quite as expected.

Surely, the washing of ones hands for any blame is a well-worn practice that was mentioned at the Judgement of Christ some 2000 years ago. It's so, so very convenient and predictable to blame others for your own faults!

It seems to me that truly reflective in-house analysis by caring people having pride in their product is the way to go. Why, then, is it the last thing considered?

Amen! Amen!

So true CR,

It's no coincidence that the 24 hour news cycle coincided with one of the most politically polarizing periods of U.S. politics. It's now full of "News you can use". Although it seems counter-intuitive, the 24 hour news cycle has actually ended up giving less depth to the coverage.

It's not enough that you give a balanced presentation of an issue and then be even handed in giving the opposing viewpoints. That would be boring! Not good for ratings or subscription rates. In order for the viewer or reader to have something entertaining to talk about at the water cooler at work you have to be over the top. It's not enough to say that a person is wrong on an issue. You must have soemone frothing at the mouth telling you that this person is a right wing reactionary radical. Or a radical socialist bent on a communist takeover of the country.

And yet this passes for objective journalism.

Dear tampa24,

On this same thread someone mentioned that they listen to BBC for news. Me too! I will have to say I so appreciate National Public TV for their coverage as well!(Republican strategist want to cut its funding.)

Since when does this country need to be unduly influenced by the likes of Limbaugh, Coulter, or anything coming from Fox News. We have too much hate in this country already. Why, then would anybody want to color their news coverage with the "Hate" crayola to further shade in falsehoods and more confusion. Not being particularly religious or a bible scholar, I still rely on biblical metaphors such as the "Tower of Babel" to put this outpouring of foolish garbage into perspective.

As a nation, we can no longer expect the country to heal itself as if on auto-pilot. Each and every individual needs to devote at least as much time for the "news"(objectively reported) as they do for "sports". Have we lost our way so that this is too great a personal sacrifice? Elections need to mean something again, and political promises and not political pandering should be returned to its rightful place in the US, if we are to succeed.

We all want to think of our country as #1. Well for how long do you really think this position can actually be maintained if we don't collectively do our part(No not Socialism, please! Remember "United we stand, divided we fall"!) We acted successfully in a collective way during WWII and, were it not for us banning together, all would have been lost for the entire world! We cannot continue resting on our laurels.

People are fooling themselves if they think God (no, any god) is looking after the US and will pull us out if we are in danger. That is what BS fundamentalist preachers are spreading as if we can count directly on God as some ethereal insurance policy. Let me see, did this strategy work recently for the Gulf coast? Madoff stock investors? Katrina survivors? 9/11 victims? Do you see a trend here?

Don't rest untill you actually do your part, please!