• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

BP and the Oil Spill

Will you buy petrol or anything else from a BP station in the future?

• Absolutely, doesn't matter to me

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Never

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Depends on their prices and those of their competitors

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I'm still torn, depends on how the situation plays out

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
It's also interesting to see that since I mentioned the Union Carbide issue that a lot of the people who were shouting off have shut up.

Oh come now Jon. People aren't going to stop talking about the oil spill in here just because you bring up a good example of the atrocious negligence of an American multinational corporation. This story has legs because there are still just under a million gallons of oil leaking into the gulf every day. In Bhopal these people died in a 48 hour period. It was awful. Yes. But at least the cleanup, recovery and restitution could start relatively quickly.

This spill on the other hand will be continuing for another 2 months. So I suspect that there will be plenty more to talk about between now and August when the relief rigs are supposed to come online. People who live along the coast are very angry that the way of life they had harvesting seafood, and the stunning vistas and shorelines they enjoyed, may never be the same again in their lifetimes.

I think at this point we can blame whoever we want. The big issue here is we were in experimenting with new technology and no body knew the exact safety protocols to follow. Live and learn. Too bad it is at the Earth's expense.

We also have an opportunity to clean up the mess and learn from this and move forward. I saw on TV the other night they have developed a way to separate the raw petroleum products from the water without further harm to the environment. So, this is good news. Now to put that technology to use on a few barges and really go to work cleaning up the spill.

This also opens the door to develop advanced water breaks to protect our inlands from tidal waves and hurricanes. I think that the oil spill was a blessing in disguise. I mean could you imagine the magnitude of what would happen if all of the oil rigs out there were toppled by tsunami like waves?:scared:

Also, look at all of the jobs for Americans... :thumbup: Sorry, just trying to find the silver lining in all of the darkness...:001_unsure:

It may turn out to be a blessing in the long term. In the sense that every major oil company is on notice that if they cut corners on even a single well, that it could bring about the collapse of the entire company.

It may turn out to be a blessing in the long term. In the sense that every major oil company is on notice that if they cut corners on even a single well, that it could bring about the collapse of the entire company.

Yes, indeed...:thumbup:

Well, I'm going to wade in on his one, and, once again, I may have my head handed to me on a platter.

We are all playing the blame game. We are all, including myself, pointing the political finger. We all want to shake our fist at the greedy, money-grubbing megacorporations who construct these huge drilling/mining/manufacturing structures which pollute, explode, and disperse contaminants. Damn them, anyway. Why do they do such a thing? How dare they tamper with our ecology?

Because not one of us is willing to give up our spoiled little existence and do without. Why did the oil companies charge $4.00+ per gallon of gas a couple of years ago? Because they could. And we, as self-centered spoiled consumers will pay whatever they damn well please to charge. If gas goes to $10.00 per gallon, do you think that will stop the American super-indulgent from getting in his car alone and motoring where ever he/she pleases? Not the longest fucking day you live. Almost nobody in today's society gives a good goddam about anyone else, and if someone has to struggle, someone has to sacrifice, let it be the other guy. Do you think that two workers, living perhaps on the same street, or even the same housing complex would ride to the same employer together in order to help save money and perhaps have an impact on the economy? Probably not, and for some selfish stupid reason as simple as one guy wants to leave 5 minutes earlier than the other one. Until we get over "me", the companies are going to capitalize on it, exploit it, and bank on it.

As for Tony Hayward not being in the loop as to the day to day operations of his company, I'll stick my neck out and say it loud and clear, "It's his goddam job." I don't know how much his compensation package is, but being British, I'll bet he gets paid in TONS, not POUNDS. His boat sure as hell wouldn't fit in my bathtub, or yours. Just what does he think his job is? When he endorses his paycheck, he is putting his signature on every single aspect of what his corporation does, from punching the hole in the ground, to selling you a cup of coffee at one of their convenience stores. He is the top, he is the man, he is where the buck stops, and when it stops at him, I'll bet you that friggin' buck ain't very lonely, it has LOTS of company. He needs to grow a set, tell the consumers that he won't rest until this thing is taken care of, get off his ass, get his hands dirty, help a fisherman get his boat and gear cleaned up, help rescue some wildlife, and stay at until his fingers bleed and his back is breaking. If this is ever cleaned up, when it is cleaned up, he should then go on global television, declare that he and his corporation have done their BEST to right their wrong, apologize profusely, then resign, hang his head in shame, go home and think about his chase for the almighty dollar/euro and what it did to the man in the mirror.

A preacher told me when I was a kid that when you point a finger at someone else, you have three pointing back at you.

Last edited:
Well Carking,

It has long been said that the American Dream is the world's nightmare. Annually we consume a fourth of the world's production of oil. Even though we are only 5% of the global population. We achieved this auto reliant and fossil fuel dependent lifestyle because nobody had the political balls to do anything about it years ago. Unlike Europe we live in communities full of sprawl where little to nothing is within walking distance of our homes.

The big oil interests paid off the politicians. They paid scientists on the breakthrough of alternate fuels in order to suppress the technology. Are we spoiled because we are dependent on cars to go about our daily lives? To a degree. But only because people in other parts of the world don't enjoy that luxury and freedom of movement.

But it is not a conscious choice. None of us are proud of the fact that the gas we put in our tanks comes from some countries that want to harm us. If I were offered a mode of transportation that I could rely on on a moment's notice that didn't require oil or gas I would choose that. Until such time I am stuck like every other consumer. Forced to rely on a non renewable resource like gasoline and oil. I'm not to blame for that.

As for Tony Hayward I agree. It was patronizing and insulting for him as the CEO to claim that he had no clue what was going on in his own company leading up to the disaster. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

From January 2001 to January 2009, the big oil interest WAS the politician, and our American public is too stupid to see it. Their memory is shorter than my dick. Everyone wants to blame President Obama, but no one wants to own the eight years that got us here. The American public, in particular the Republicans, can't seem to equate that we got raped repeatedly at the gas pump while "W" sat reading to school kids at the same time we were being attacked on our own soil. Have you noticed that we haven't heard a peep from W since he left office. He isn't done counting his money. How can they be so blind?

Barak Obama isn't perfect, not by a long shot. But, I, for one know that I could not afford 4 more years of the same, and our option in 2008 was a radical departure from the norm, or four more years of a near vertical drop in our national economy. People want to criticize what the President is doing because it isn't fixed overnight. What you mentioned about our consumption of resources didn't happen in a day, and it requires more than a band-aid.

My last question, and I am opening up a whole can of worms here, how many people who dislike our President have the balls to admit that they have nothing against him personally, they are just bigots? My 80 year old neighbor lady finally admitted it to me that that is the only thing she has against him. I reminded her how long we had been neighbors and looked her in the eye and told her that I was ashamed to know her. What is this, 1939 Nazi Germany, if you are not a blue-eyed blonde with an intact foreskin, you are inferior? God, no wonder our country is screwed up.

I'm going to bed now, will someone grab my soapbox, please? I may need it again soon.

Interesting posts as always Carking. Re Tony Hayward not knowing about the problems on the rig until it became real serious and public knowledge - I think I can believe that. I work for British Telecom, which is not as big as BP (employs about 150k), but is still split into many different arms of the business. There are MDs heading each arm and they meet maybe once a month with Ian Livingstone the CEO of BT. There are lots of issues that Mr L does not hear about and depending whether or not one as an individual is involved in these issues, determines it's importance to yourself. What's really important to me for example will be insignificant to Mr L.

Regarding your take on Obama, I suppose his election into office could be on the same line as why Margaret Thatcher was elected and that is something or someone different. Tony Blair was PM for 3 1/2 terms of office and he left just at the right time before he was pushed. At the time of his resignation the economy was strong and there was no sign of a world recession but some people wanted him out because they had had enough and become bored. Personally I would rather be bored than broke.

Regarding your 80 year old neighbour, cut her a bit of slack, times were different when she grew up. At that age she may not be along for much longer and if this is the only disagreement you've had with her, then it does sound a bit OTT, but there again as you are a man of principles you may not want to. Keep posting dude.

Regarding your 80 year old neighbour, cut her a bit of slack, times were different when she grew up. At that age she may not be along for much longer and if this is the only disagreement you've had with her, then it does sound a bit OTT, but there again as you are a man of principles you may not want to. Keep posting dude.

You know, Jon, I do kind of feel badly about that situation, and I have given it some thought about the way she was brought up, but, I am a man of principles and I will not tolerate bigotry or discrimination from anyone, not my neighbor, not my mother, not you. I feel that if I do not speak out against it, I am at worst condoning it, at best tolerating it.

see i understand that older people can be more biggotted than the rest of the population, but i see people like my 85 year old nanna and pap pap, who voted for obama. sure they dont trust some black people, but they saw obama as someone who could possibly fix things. they got past the color of his skin and looked at what he is capable of. whereas my father is quite different. he blames EVERYTHING on obama. including the state of the economy now, which as we all know is NOT his fault. so i think that anymore it has nothing to do with age, but personality and whether or not you are a reasonable person.

When you've been brought up in a regime that was fairly racist, then you went through WWII, then the hard times that followed etc etc. I guess it's hard to adjust for the old timers, or maybe am I being too nice towards them.

Hey, jon, I was just rereading my last post and from the unfortunate wording, it looks as though someone might misinterpret it that I am accusing you of being a bigot. That was certainly not my intention. I just meant that "not you" as being everyone. I hope that you did not read it that way. I find you to be a fair minded, intellegent, well-rounded individual and I enjoy your insight into many subjects.

Hey, jon, I was just rereading my last post and from the unfortunate wording, it looks as though someone might misinterpret it that I am accusing you of being a bigot. That was certainly not my intention. I just meant that "not you" as being everyone. I hope that you did not read it that way. I find you to be a fair minded, intellegent, well-rounded individual and I enjoy your insight into many subjects.

No problems and I did not interpret it that way 'cos if I did I would have kicked your butt lol. :001_tt2:

It is with a heavy heart that we Floridians learned that heavy oil has now reached and defiled Pensacola Beach in the panhandle of the state. It's an area of coastline that is renowned for its pristine sugary white sand and stunning vistas. It's an area that has drawn millions of out of state and international tourists for decades. Pictured here is Florida Governor Charlie Crist.

Attachments

• Oil soill.jpg
    Oil soill.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 18
  • OIL.jpg
    OIL.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 18
Yesterday the cap over the leaking well was damaged by an undersea robot and had to be removed. Thereby releasing the spill to resume at full blast. It has since been replaced. The oil tankers on the surface had to remove their lines to the well and wait to refit them. It is estimated that the well has been uncontrollably spewing up to 2.5 million gallons of oil a day. BP hopes to be able to recover up to 1 million gallons a day to surface ships when they finally reach peak capacity. Eventually... The hope is that the 2 relief wells will be able to stop the spill completely. Sometime in August. Until then then where is the other 1.5+ million gallons a day going to go?

From the St. Petersburg (Florida) Times, 6/24/2010:

"Kevin Reed's dad taught him to swim at Pensacola Beach. It's here that he taught his own son. "This will never be the same," he says."

Attachments

• a4s_oilbeach062410a_127956c.jpg
    a4s_oilbeach062410a_127956c.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 18
Unfortunately without humans then the world would just be a jungle and no doubt another species would develope to become more superior; a bit like Planet of the Apes. Life is about the survival of the fittest and there will always be predators to each you up.

David, there are good things about life too and I know you share your life with one of them. This oil tragedy, as bad as it is, is just another page in lifes storybook. Just like 9/11 was, the London bombings, the Titanic, Torycanyon, the 2 World wars... the list goes on. Fortunately for us, our lifespan is only short enough to encompass just a few of the bad times and hopefully more of the good times.

David, there are good things about life too and I know you share your life with one of them. This oil tragedy, as bad as it is, is just another page in life's storybook. Just like 9/11 was, the London bombings, the Titanic, Torycanyon, the 2 World wars... the list goes on. Fortunately for us, our lifespan is only short enough to encompass just a few of the bad times and hopefully more of the good times.

Well said Jon. :wink:

And I didn't find David's insight offensive.

Here's to finding more good times in our brief existence than bad ones. This one weekend in June was one such time for me. That's why I'll cherish it always. :thumbup1:

This link below from the movie The Matrix is how I feel about HUMANS in general. Sorry if I offend anyone :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Na9-jV_OJI&feature=related

Guilty as charged...:biggrin: However; we all have the ability to change, adapt, over come, and improvise as a species. The first step is learning how to let go of our ego. Pretty much the rest will follow. I would like to believe that I have personally improved along the way...

However; best part of David's analogy is that as gay men and women we are doing our part by not procreating... ( I know booo, hissss, bad humor... LOL:001_unsure:) I was trying to look at our giftedness. I would love to do a census to compare the number of GLBT citizens that recycle and live green in comparison to the rest of the world...:wink: