• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Scotland Decides

Do they expect to have results by at least midnight local time? Or will the tallying likely go into much later the next day? I expect with the vote really being close to 49-51 either way or even 50.xx-50.xx, that it could be a long count.

Do they expect to have results by at least midnight local time? Or will the tallying likely go into much later the next day? I expect with the vote really being close to 49-51 either way or even 50.xx-50.xx, that it could be a long count.
hi tampa, im not a very intelligent person but ive just heard on the tv over here that the polls opened at 7am and if im not mistaken they close at 10pm gmt so if my brains working that will be 3am your time. Going by that id imagine it will be some time tomorrow morning my time that the result will be told as its an extremely big decision. The morning show I watch has got a special from 6 till 10 in the morning and so if I remember (as my memorys atrocious) if theres nothing on here ill put it up but id imagine you'll have it on your news aswell. Dan x

From the bbc

People in Scotland have begun voting on whether the country should stay in the UK or become an independent nation.
Voters will answer "Yes" or "No" to the referendum question: "Should Scotland be an independent country?"
With 4,285,323 people - 97% of the electorate - registered to vote, a historically high turnout is expected.
Votes will be cast at 2,608 polling places across the country until 22:00 on Thursday. The result is expected early on Friday morning.
Ballot papers will be counted in each of Scotland's 32 local authority areas.

hese will include votes cast from the 789,024 postal vote applications, which was the largest volume of registration for postal votes ever in Scotland.
After votes have been tallied, the counting officer in each area will communicate the result to the chief counting officer Mary Pitcaithly in Edinburgh.
With her approval they will then make a declaration of the result.
Once the results from all 32 local authority areas are known, Ms Pitcaithly will declare the result of the referendum at the Royal Highland Centre outside Edinburgh.
Running totalsMs Pitcaithly has said she will announce the result at "breakfast time" on Friday.
The result is most likely to be between 06:30 and 07:30, according to Elections Scotland.

From: http://news.yahoo.com/crowds-flock-vote-scotlands-crucial-referendum-115135303.html

"The outcome is being watched closely by many people around the world, not least in Spain, where the region of Catalonia is pushing for its own referendum on independence.

Spaniards living in Scotland were eligible to vote on Thursday, although some decided to stay out of the debate.

"I find it outrageous that people living here just four months can vote on such an important topic. I don't feel sufficiently informed," said Miguel Gonzalez, 32."

hi tampa, im not a very intelligent person but ive just heard on the tv over here that the polls opened at 7am and if im not mistaken they close at 10pm gmt so if my brains working that will be 3am your time. Going by that id imagine it will be some time tomorrow morning my time that the result will be told as its an extremely big decision. The morning show I watch has got a special from 6 till 10 in the morning and so if I remember (as my memorys atrocious) if theres nothing on here ill put it up but id imagine you'll have it on your news aswell. Dan x

You are correct in the time difference, Dan. We here in the States are just as interested in the results as we are during our own elections.

Keep us posted.

Louis

If the polls close at 10 pm BST (British Summer Time) it would be 5 pm EDT (Eastern Daylight Time). You guys are 5 hrs ahead of us in the eastern time zone.

That is why I thought we here would hear something by now. But I guess they don't do exit polling in Scotland.

according to the chief counter, the results should be ready by breakfast. that's around 2 am.
you got to love the democratic process.

That's what CNN is reporting:
[video]http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/18/world/europe/scotland-independence-vote/[/video]

Im so glad that scotland has decided to stay as part of the union as we belong together as that way we're stronger and at our best. Dan x

Phew!!!

Yes. I saw they were predicting a win for the No vote a little before I went to bed at 1:30. They didn't want to call it just yet. But it was pretty clear that it would not be the squeaker vote that so much of the media had predicted.

I respect Scottish nationalists for their patriotism and fervor. However I am quite relieved. From my vantage point this would have been a big distraction (or worse) within the context of the global economic recovery, NATO vis-à-vis Russia, the E.U., the U.N., Catalonia, Galicia, the Basque country of both northern Spain and even southern France.