• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Ponderings for April 16th 2022

When I went out to do my Sunday morning chores, I thought that tomorrow is the first day of Spring, yet today feels like a mid winter day, at 31 F but with a windchill considerably colder. But I can’t complain as this has been the mildest NYC winter in my recollection and I know that it will turn around real quick.

As I looked at the bare trees, I started wondering just when I will see buds on the trees followed by the lush green leaves. I will keep checking each day as within a month there should be a rapid transformation. I decided to document the changes, so here is the first set of pics of bare trees in Brooklyn Heights on March 19th. I’ll try to document it regularly here on Chac’s ‘“Ponderings”” thread. 😀

View attachment 125339View attachment 125340View attachment 125341View attachment 125342View attachment 125343

As I honestly don’t remember from year to year, I went to “the google machine”, as Joe Scarborough likes to sometimes say, for the answer to my question from this morning.

Leaf Out Dates in the Northeast: Northeastern trees are adapted to take extra caution when it comes to spring leaf out since it can be devastating for leaves to be shocked by a sudden freeze. Because of this, trees in the Northeast leaf out late April to early May. This also commonly occurs in the Midwest.”

So apparently it will be approx six more weeks until those bare branches turn lush, leafy green. But I will photograph the progress and post it on this thread as I ponder the change from winter to spring. :001_cool:

Not quite confident in my body yet to do a nude beach, I'm still land whale status at 335 lbs 🐳 😆😆

I’m very proud of you Chac for as the ancient Chinese profit Laozi said, “A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step”.

You took that step and are well on your journey. Keep up the great work!!!

I’m very proud of you Chac for as the ancient Chinese profit Laozi said, “A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step”.

You took that step and are well on your journey. Keep up the great work!!!
Agree.

Although I retired from full time employment in July of 2016, I’ve continued working twice a week in semi-retirement to keep myself busy and my mind active. However, I am in the midst of a full time project for my company and I am putting in four day weeks, working 35 hour weeks and I am loving it. It is very good to challenge my brain as I am making decisions coordinating this project. It is nothing earth shattering, just working on a new product line for both a print and on-line catalog for my company.

It’s nice to not need the money, but to work at something I enjoy. But after a ten day holiday in April, I will go back to being a semi-retired old dude. But for now, it makes me feel young! This is what I am pondering about today!

Although I retired from full time employment in July of 2016, I’ve continued working twice a week in semi-retirement to keep myself busy and my mind active. However, I am in the midst of a full time project for my company and I am putting in four day weeks, working 35 hour weeks and I am loving it. It is very good to challenge my brain as I am making decisions coordinating this project. It is nothing earth shattering, just working on a new product line for both a print and on-line catalog for my company.

It’s nice to not need the money, but to work at something I enjoy. But after a ten day holiday in April, I will go back to being a semi-retired old dude. But for now, it makes me feel young! This is what I am pondering about today!
The Forum should always provide pleasure to a member and NOT ever be a source of unpleasantness.

Today, I joined one of my old college friends and his wife at Lincoln Center for the Broadway show revival of Camelot. The show was fun and it was a nice cool but sunny early Spring day in New York City. We ate lunch in a very crowded restaurant on Broadway across from Lincoln Center and Manhattan was filled with people. As I rode the subway on a weekday in Manhattan, I was thinking how three years ago during the height of lockdown during the early days of the Pandemic and the city came to a total halt, some folks doubted if New York City would ever be back. Based on my experiences today, the answer is a resounding yes. I took some pics when I got off the subway at the Lincoln Center stop before I met them at the restaurant around Noon today.

8009AC20-042B-4E66-9826-78BA5AFD38D1.jpeg
710218B8-31A3-4246-8C3A-CF17339879B1.jpeg
18DB47D7-FACA-4F5B-94B3-61614189260F.jpeg
45B2612F-94A1-4979-98A2-6B6AF928ABA3.jpeg

My pondering for today is on my upcoming trip to Texas. I'm visiting family down there, my first flight in 18 years. I bought 2 bottles of Dramamine, I hope that's enough to prevent an encore performance of The Exorcist scene that I did the last flight 😬😫

My pondering for today is on my upcoming trip to Texas. I'm visiting family down there, my first flight in 18 years. I bought 2 bottles of Dramamine, I hope that's enough to prevent an encore performance of The Exorcist scene that I did the last flight 😬😫

Great that you’re taking the trip. Hopefully no Linda Blair impression. Lol

FB1E2D83-EB8A-4C8D-9D57-1E514FC18244.jpeg

As I honestly don’t remember from year to year, I went to “the google machine”, as Joe Scarborough likes to sometimes say, for the answer to my question from this morning.

Leaf Out Dates in the Northeast: Northeastern trees are adapted to take extra caution when it comes to spring leaf out since it can be devastating for leaves to be shocked by a sudden freeze. Because of this, trees in the Northeast leaf out late April to early May. This also commonly occurs in the Midwest.”

So apparently it will be approx six more weeks until those bare branches turn lush, leafy green. But I will photograph the progress and post it on this thread as I ponder the change from winter to spring. :001_cool:

I’ve been checking out the trees almost every morning and there has been no sign of buds or leaves………until today. It is amazing to me how quickly they go from nothing to real signs of Spring. This is what I just saw as I did my Friday morning chores. I’ll keep checking and chronicling my observations right here. :001_smile:

8F402C93-64AC-498E-AF73-14EFF93EE4D7.jpeg
770E2BDA-573E-4075-9931-A4A4CE9662CD.jpeg
57E85E8A-7F6E-4CC1-8F62-FF456DA4EB79.jpeg

As I continue pondering the emergence of Spring in Brooklyn, this morning I noted that the vast majority of the trees remain bare, but I see some buds on what might be cherry blossoms and some full flowers. Interesting how the seasons have changed around me my whole life, but now in my later years I am appreciating how marvelous it is to witness, day by day…..

B98CE7D7-7B3C-42F3-BC11-2FE50539757F.jpeg
25DD3DF1-4B5D-44A2-8D15-C1FF936621AF.jpeg
582BF2F8-3E48-43DD-B5CA-726B51CDFD5B.jpeg
2FBC6AD9-9FC3-438C-AFC2-C8C22E5EDA1E.jpeg

Five days after my last set of pics, today on April 7th, 2023, I continue to ponder the transition from winter into spring in my neighborhood. As I read a couple of weeks ago, the trees in the Northeast do not fully bloom until late April/early May, so maybe I’m pushing it, but I am noticing a combination of Mother Nature doing her things with the trees, and my neighbors planting their own flowers and shrubs In little sidewalk gardens.

I am enjoying watching the process, day by day! :001_smile:

4AE49675-618E-4108-A5C2-DD7F2E6C2202.jpeg
F58E9FA0-2C7D-40B4-8D04-8289C9E923D1.jpeg
3273E185-7404-4D94-BE69-26F56B33444E.jpeg

The temperatures being like a yo-yo have a dramatic affect of the leaf development and as long as the daily lows remain above freezing the leaf growth and the blooming of the trees should be early. Of course stormy & windy weather can also have an adverse affect on blooming trees.

Got back around 2am from my trip, it was so much fun! I'll post more about it later, but just wanted to say hi to everyone

Got back around 2am from my trip, it was so much fun! I'll post more about it later, but just wanted to say hi to everyone
Welcome back Chac! Please do tell us all about it. :welcome: Back!!!!

Waelcome home, hac. I hope you had a great time & look forward to hearing about your adventure. By the way you were missed.

Welcome back Chac! Please do tell us all about it. :welcome: Back!!!!

Waelcome home, hac. I hope you had a great time & look forward to hearing about your adventure. By the way you were missed.

Left my house at 1 AM on Tuesday morning and got to Texas about 11 AM, it was a very comfortable 88 degrees (I'm freezing back at 39 now LOL) Lots of turbulence but thankfully no Exorcist scene encores 😆

Went into downtown San Antonio and saw the Alamo and the Riverwalk (highly recommend taking the boat tour, the guides are funny and informative). Thursday was a bust for outdoor stuff, but I got my Buc-ees fix and some amazing cinnamon pecans🤤 it rained and thundered Thursday and Friday. Flew back Friday night and the plane was late arriving from Baltimore which delayed out departure in TX so I had to sprint from one gate to make my connecting flight in Nashville. 329lbs doesn't run pretty 💀😵 LOL

I had amazing BBQ while there, like I'm still dreaming about it!

All in all, a great trip! I want to go back in a few months (maybe after summer heat) and see more.

Oh, one other note, if you don't already know, San Antonio is a huge military town, there were TONS of super fit guys that I was drooling over LOL None shirtless though (dammit 🥺)