• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Politics Discussion

The Independent

Gustaf Kilander

Wed, February 3, 2021, 4:46 PM

DC waitress reveals Trump team was tight-fisted with tips and exhausting to serve

A DC waitress has revealed that a range of Trump officials and supporters "were exhausting, impossible, often stingy ... and memorable," to wait on.

Writing for Slate, the waitress, who worked in a fine dining DC restaurant during the Trump presidency, said she "felt lucky" when a senior Trump White House official "tipped 18.5 per cent," after she was interrogated about the origin of the restaurant's caviar selection and didn’t have a clear-cut answer.

The waitress said "business plunged" as Obama officials left town and that as Trump supporters started visiting DC eateries "the experience was painful for all".

Baseball hats violated the dress code, so Trump supporters who wore them started their meal with a "persecution complex". To avoid bad or no tips, the waitress would "send them little comps," free little extras throughout the meal, but they would still "tip less than 18 or even 15 per cent," the waitress writes.

She said that she knew one prolific Republican "wasn’t a real Trumpist," because he was a "reliable tipper," took 15 seconds to order and didn't "make you 'work for it'".

The waitress writes that a "great displeasure" seemed to envelop a Trump cabinet secretary as she approached his table, that he ordered the cheapest wine and "didn't tip more than 14 per cent, no matter how often you topped him off without charging".

Another Trump cabinet secretary was "a paragon of superficial graciousness" but according to the waitress she didn't tip enough to make up for the "two or three tables that would ask to move if she was seated near them".

A former Trump campaign official came in under a fake name for an "inexplicably awkward" dinner, tipped 25 per cent, and was never seen again. The waitress writes that he "obviously knew how to act," since he was a "creature of Washington".

Another "awkward" meal was had because of a cabinet secretary's wife and her "many dietary restrictions," the waitress said and added that she got the guidance to give free grilled calamari to the "newly broke Secret Service agents, who would otherwise sit for hours nursing no more than a Coke or a cup of coffee".

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/dc-waitress-reveals-trump-team-214616649.html

The female cabinet secretary who was described as being a "paragon of superficial graciousness" sounds very much like Elaine Chao. Though we'll never know for sure.

It sounds like the waitress dealt with a lot of middle-middle class, upper-middle-class, all the way up to multimillionaires and one-percenters who refused to tip properly under any circumstances. Yet the Democratic politicians and government employees who aren't as well known for living like rich Republicans could find it in their hearts to cough up a little extra cash and take better care of those serving them.

I can understand why the Secret Service agents who were on duty guarding high-level government employees were not allowed to order meals and eat on the job as if they were the ones out on the town for a good time. (Even if they could afford it. Which they couldn't.) They needed to stay focused on protecting their charges and what was going on in the room. The comings and goings of various customers...who might look suspicious, etc. I'm sure it's not fun to be sitting inside a fancy restaurant at dinnertime with all the smells of wonderful food...and you've got to sit there without ordering and just drink cups of coffee or glasses of water or soda. I'm glad some places would at least comp them a few appetizers.

I'm not sure what the waitress meant though about "newly broke" secret service agents. Do any of the rest of you have an idea what she was referring to by that? If their spouses had recently lost jobs because of Covid maybe?

Regarding the "newly broke Secret Service agents" this requires a bit more explanation than typically given. There are roughly 3300 field agents in the SS - out guarding people as we see with the president. They make around 161k a year for doing that job. Trump and his family had SS protection 24/7 which is required under law. However, they were well-known for disregarding the niceties and while using agents on their various junkets, did not pay any attention to the fine details. Many other Trump appointees who had SS protection did the same. The president has the power to order the SS to protect specific people if he so chooses. Trump extended protection to certain people close to him who normally would not be covered. Why he did so is not specified n anything I read. So lots of activity, day and night, and all over the place. Also, when Obama was president the Republican-controlled House cut the budget for agents by 10%. Trump became president they increased it by 20%.

Secret Service agents are limited as to the amount of overtime they may charge in a given pay period [2-weeks] and that limit is based on a mathematical formula derived from a percentage of their weekly pay. They are not supposed to receive more than 22,000.00 a year in overtime. Because Trump, his family, and his appointees were all busy using the system to protect themselves, not to mention the fact that Trump had numerous properties all over which he and his family would hop off to visit whenever they felt like doing so, all those properties had to be covered 24/7 as well. The result was the agents were maxing out on overtime and not being paid for all their overtime. The SS was forced to repeatedly seek a waiver from whoever controlled their budget, as well as, seek additional allocations from the House to cover expenses.

Interesting side note. There is nothing specific that forbids an agent from eating while in a restaurant guarding someone [unless it is the president] but they typically do not eat. However, so as not to call attention to themselves, they are supposed to order food and drink in order to appear to be regular customers. They are supposed to pay for the items ordered and submit a voucher for reimbursement to their supervisor. This reimbursement is subject to the same restrictions as overtime and as is true for all governmental employees there is a per diem limit on what can be spent on a meal. I doubt these administration folks were sliding into In-n-Out for a Double-Double with animal fires so I can see agents nursing a coffee or a coke.

As to the treatment of restaurant staff, I think the old adage about the best tippers are those who worked in restaurants in the past is true. Likewise, there are those who are just completely lacking in class when it comes to behaving in public around others. I think we have all met people like that. I worked in restaurants when I was younger and I always treat restaurant employees as I would have wanted to be treated when I worked in places. I also tip well. And, I also know what can happen when someone behaves really badly in a restaurant.

Thanks so much Juanjo for giving us an explanation on that. You went to great effort to give us a detailed understanding. !Gracias! I suspected that with all these properties that Trump was jetting off to on seemingly a moment's notice, that it was wreaking havoc with the SS budget and therefore taxpayer funds. Not to mention the working conditions and morale of the agents in the field.

It still boggles the mind how he got away with somehow insisting that his off-duty SS detail purchase their lodgings at his properties so that he could personally profit from taxpayer funds. Plus he unabashedly promoted his own properties and treated many of his trips there like commercials to entice customers. Anybody remember how he randomly started talking about his Mar-a-Lago country club during what was essentially a press conference and then ever so "innocently" rambled on about how wonderful the chocolate cake was there? Like you too can join my club (for a very reasonable sum of only $200K a year) and enjoy some of that delicious cake. What a bargain!!

I still have flashes of PTSD. haha

I didn't realize that SS agents were allowed to eat on the job. However as you point out, even if their per diem budgets might have allowed them an equivalent of $50 for a dinner meal (which is probably an overestimate) you are right that most of these high-end D.C. or NYC restaurants would have been out of reach. I can't say as I've had firsthand experience with the extremely swanky high-end restaurants. But my guess is that we're talking no less than $200 per person, even without overpriced alcoholic beverages padding the bill.

Does anybody in here who is a little more worldly, traveled or much wealthier than I have an idea of price ranges for say an average middle of the road steak dinner in a pretentious foofoo posh "boutique" restaurant of NYC or D.C.?

After my recent post on this issue, as you can rightly assume, I'm very happy with this latest news.

Biden says 'erratic' Trump shouldn't get intel briefings

AAMER MADHANI and ZEKE MILLER
Fri, February 5, 2021, 6:44 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden said Friday that Donald Trump’s “erratic behavior” should prevent him from receiving classified intelligence briefings, a courtesy that historically has been granted to outgoing presidents.

Asked in an interview with CBS News what he feared if Trump continued to receive the briefings, Biden said he did not want to “speculate out loud” but made clear he did not want Trump to continue getting them.

“I just think that there is no need for him to have the intelligence briefings,” Biden said. “What value is giving him an intelligence briefing? What impact does he have at all, other than the fact he might slip and say something?”

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said earlier this week that the issue of granting Trump intelligence briefings was “something that is under review.”

Some Democratic lawmakers, and even some former Trump administration officials, have questioned the wisdom of allowing Trump to continue to [be] briefed.

Susan Gordon, who served as the principal deputy director of national intelligence during the Trump administration from 2017 to 2019, in a Washington Post op-ed last month urged Biden to cut off Trump.

“His post-White House ‘security profile,’ as the professionals like to call it, is daunting,” Gordon wrote days after a pro-Trump mob laid siege to the U.S. Capitol as lawmakers sought to certify his defeat in last November’s election. “Any former president is by definition a target and presents some risks. But a former president Trump, even before the events of last week, might be unusually vulnerable to bad actors with ill intent.”

Whether to give a past president intelligence briefings is solely the current officeholder’s prerogative. Biden voiced his opposition to giving Trump access to briefings as the former president's second impeachment trial is set to begin next week.

Biden, however, said Friday that his hesitance to allow Trump access to the briefing was due to the former president’s “erratic behavior unrelated to the insurrection.”

Gordon also raised concerns about Trump’s business entanglements. The real estate tycoon saw his business founder during his four years in Washington and is weighed down by significant debt, reportedly about $400 million. Trump during the campaign called his debt load a “peanut” and said he did not owe any money to Russia.

“Trump has significant business entanglements that involve foreign entities,” Gordon wrote. “Many of these current business relationships are in parts of the world that are vulnerable to intelligence services from other nation-states.”

Rep. Adam Schiff, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, also urged Biden to cut off briefings for Trump.

“There’s no circumstance in which this president should get another intelligence briefing,” Schiff said shortly before Trump ended his term last month. “I don’t think he can be trusted with it now, and in the future.”

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-says-no-trump-intel-234427308.html

I'm really broken up over the sad news that Lou Dobb's show has been cancelled on Faux News. :crying1: haha

I'm glad I wasn't in the middle of swallowing a drink when the Saturday Night Live newscast led with a new title for someone near and dear to us.

He started with, "Former social media influencer, Donald Trump........."

I almost fell out of my chair. lmao

As disappointed as I am, I can't say that I'm surprised by the end result. As important as it was to bring impeachment charges against Trump, most of us knew this was a dog and pony show. All with a pre-determined result of a majority of Republican senators staying loyal to a dictator like Trump instead of to the Constitution and rule of law.

Yes. This really happened. haha

Hawly2.jpg

Apparently Twitter has been having a lot of fun with this. I don't know why. haha
(An abbreviated version of the article.)

HuffPost

Tucker Carlson's 'Little Piece Of Sh*t' Josh Hawley Graphic Lights Up Twitter

Ed Mazza·Overnight Editor, HuffPost

Thu, February 18, 2021, 5:05 AM·2 min read

Fox News host Tucker Carlson gave his viewers an eyeful on Wednesday night when he featured a graphic that contained a colorful attack on his guest, Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.).

Hawley has faced calls to resign or be expelled from the Senate over his efforts to cancel out the votes of millions of Americans when Congress met last month to certify the 2020 election results. One blunt message came from Retired Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré , which was shown as Hawley spoke:

Hawly2.jpg

Honoré is leading an investigation of security at the U.S. Capitol in the wake of the violent Jan. 6 attack on Congress by pro-Trump insurrectionists who, like Hawley, were attempting to overturn the election results. When the Capitol was cleared and Congress resumed, Hawley continued that effort.

Honoré’s tweet was in response to a report that Congress may expel members, such as Hawley, who supported the Jan. 6 riot:

This little peace of shit with his @Yale law degree should be run out of DC and Disbarred ASAP @HawleyMO @tedcruz aaa hats . These @Yale and @Harvard law grads is high order white privilege.

— Russel L. Honore' (@ltgrusselhonore) January 12, 2021

Marc 2Xor3X Hoodie
@thegoodfello

On the 16th Day of Black History Month, we recognize LT. General Russell Honore for having *NO FUCKS* from the day of his birth.

��~kristin~��
@kristinnw

the first draft of Tucker’s intro has been leaked: “Joining us live from Missouri is the little piece of shit who should be run out of DC and disbarred”

Joshua Holland
@JoshuaHol

Truth is an absolute defense against defamation claims.

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/tucker-carlson-josh-hawley-graphic-100557632.html

Last edited:
Nothing but class from our boy Teddy. I mean Rafael.

And then in a lame attempt to shield himself from much criticism he has rightly earned, he throws his own daughters (10 and 12 years old) under the bus, and blames the decision to flee Texas on them. Father Of The Year material right there.

HuffPost

Let Them Eat Snow: Meghan McCain Blasts 'Marie Antoinette' Ted Cruz For Cancun Trip

Mary Papenfuss·Trends Reporter, HuffPost

Thu, February 18, 2021, 7:44 PM

Republican Meghan McCain lashed Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) on Thursday, comparing him to Marie Antoinette for traveling to Cancun, Mexico, while his fellow Texans shivered without power amid extreme winter weather.

“There’s a lot of heads to roll, a lot of people to blame,” McCain said on “The View” of the mess in Texas. She then brought up Cruz and likened him to the guillotined French queen who supposedly told her starving subjects to eat cake.

To “flee your home state while people are freezing to death, to go to Cancun, is very Marie Antoinette,” McCain said. The daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain called Cruz’s decision “one of the worst optics I could possibly come up with in an era where there’s been a lot of bad political optics.”

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/megan-mccain-ted-cruz-the-view-marie-antoinette-004428057.html

Rafael [Ted] Cruz is the classic example of all hat no cattle. Texas has a particular attraction to politicians who are "real" men, not weaklings. Rafa has always tried to portray that image. He loves to attack people on perceived failings or weaknesses. When Beto O'Rourke ran against him for the Senate, Rafa pushed images of Beto as a sissy posting photos of Beto in his college days when he was part of a punk band that used to sometimes wear dresses, as well as, showing Beto skateboarding which apparently for Rafa is not a manly thing to do. He also publicized a DUI arrest Beto had had during his college days. Rafa also attacked the mayor of San Antonio for going to a family event in Mexico last summer accusing the mayor of hypocrisy because he went to Mexico while city officials were asking people to stay close to home.

Which brings us to Rafa's poorly thought-out decision to take a quick weekend trip to Mexico at a time when millions of the people he represented in Congress were literally in danger of freezing to death. Rafa is well-known for being an arrogant man who is completely unlikeable. This is not a new description. Members of his own party have been describing him in this fashion since he was first elected to office. So the idea that Rafa and his wife had made a decision to go hang out at a luxury beach resort for a few days is not surprising. Likewise, the fact he would lie about his true intentions, throwing his own daughters under the bus, is also quite on point for Rafa.

The real issue here is that Rafa, like a number of other politicians running Texas at this time in history, completely failed the people of that state. They blamed others, blamed frozen windmills, blamed AOC for an energy plan that doesn't exist yet, blamed the people of Texas for expecting better of their politicians. Rafa is unable to point to a single thing he has done to assist the people of Texas during this situation. He was available to consult with other politicians. Really?

While Rafa was blaming his daughters and claiming Democrats were all hypocrites for criticizing him for abandoning the state, Beto O'Rourke had organized people to set up phone trees to contact over 700,000 and check on their well-being. He helped assist the elderly and others without transport to be moved to warming centers. He helped set up deliveries of food and drinking water to people who had run low on both or either. He was active in relief efforts to help people be safe and be warm. He holds no public office at this time. AOC, who is from New York City, raised over 2 million dollars to purchase emergency supplies for people in Texas. A number of people were doing PSA announcements, online or on other media, telling people survival tactics to use in extreme cold that would help them survive in houses with no heat, as well as, methods of obtaining water. This included one of my favorite Youtube guys, Beau of the Fifth Column.

Rafa showed his true nature in this crisis. He has done nothing but posture and blame others and he will continue to do so. While he did do a little mea culpa the other day on the news media, he followed that up with attacks on others, classic Rafa Cruz tactics. He is a disgrace but not the only one in this debacle. I am old enough to remember when a winter snowstorm and snow-blocked streets brought down the remainder of the old Daley machine in Chicago. Let's see if Texas is purple enough that this debacle brings down the Republicans in state government there.

Great summation Juanjo! Thanks.

A couple points I might add to supplement your comments.

Former Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner HATED Ted Cruz. Let me see if I can find that semi-famous quote...
Ah yes. Boehner called Ted Cruz, "Lucifer in the flesh."
"I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life."

The other thing about Cruz' hypocrisy that I've never forgotten was when he attacked Beto O'Rourke in their very close election for what he saw as an Anglo (O'Rourke) pandering to Hispanic voters. I saw Ted on a tv interview where he was going after Beto for using the name Beto. Meanwhile Ted Cruz is to this day doing the exact same thing in reverse. Pot calling the kettle black. haha Ted's trying to downplay and/or hide his Hispanic background so as to appear more Anglo to white voters, as well as to downplay and hide the fact that he was born in Canada.

Cruz was going on tear in the interview about how atrocious it was that Beto O'Rourke changed his name to Beto. Cruz says indignantly, "His real name is Robert!"

The interviewer didn't miss a beat. He piped up and immediately said, "And your real name is Rafael!!"

Teddy boy was just left sputtering. haha

Great summation Juanjo! Thanks.

A couple points I might add to supplement your comments.

Former Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner HATED Ted Cruz. Let me see if I can find that semi-famous quote...
Ah yes. Boehner called Ted Cruz, "Lucifer in the flesh."
"I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life."

The other thing about Cruz' hypocrisy that I've never forgotten was when he attacked Beto O'Rourke in their very close election for what he saw as an Anglo (O'Rourke) pandering to Hispanic voters. I saw Ted on a tv interview where he was going after Beto for using the name Beto. Meanwhile Ted Cruz is to this day doing the exact same thing in reverse. Pot calling the kettle black. haha Ted's trying to downplay and/or hide his Hispanic background so as to appear more Anglo to white voters, as well as to downplay and hide the fact that he was born in Canada.

Cruz was going on tear in the interview about how atrocious it was that Beto O'Rourke changed his name to Beto. Cruz says indignantly, "His real name is Robert!"

The interviewer didn't miss a beat. He piped up and immediately said, "And your real name is Rafael!!"

Teddy boy was just left sputtering. haha

I recall that interchange. It was hilarious. Beto is, of course, the shortened version of Roberto that one might use with family or a close friend, just like an Anglo nickname. Beto grew up in El Paso which is 83% Hispanic and he speaks Spanish fluently. The idea that his family and friends called him Beto is not anything surprising. Rafael Cruz used his Hispanic name when he applied for admission to college and law school. He also used it when he applied for clerkships with various judges. Once he entered politics he switched to Ted which is a diminutive of his middle name, Edward. I occasionally communicate with Mr. Cruz on Twitter and I always call him Rafa which is the correct diminutive of Rafael. I often start out in Spanish and then apologize switching to English since he does not speak Spanish beyond restaurant Spanish.

I recall that interchange. It was hilarious. Beto is, of course, the shortened version of Roberto that one might use with family or a close friend, just like an Anglo nickname. Beto grew up in El Paso which is 83% Hispanic and he speaks Spanish fluently. The idea that his family and friends called him Beto is not anything surprising. Rafael Cruz used his Hispanic name when he applied for admission to college and law school. He also used it when he applied for clerkships with various judges. Once he entered politics he switched to Ted which is a diminutive of his middle name, Edward. I occasionally communicate with Mr. Cruz on Twitter and I always call him Rafa which is the correct diminutive of Rafael. I often start out in Spanish and then apologize switching to English since he does not speak Spanish beyond restaurant Spanish.

Yes.

That sounds much like the character of Rafa. haha

Here is a snippet from Wiki about Beto O'Rourke:

"[Robert Francis "Beto" O'Rourke] was born on September 26, 1972, at Hotel Dieu Hospital in El Paso, Texas, to Pat Francis O'Rourke and Melissa Martha O'Rourke, née Williams.[3][4] He is a fourth-generation Irish American[10] and some of his maternal ancestors settled in the American colonies in the 18th century.[11] His parents and paternal grandparents were native El Pasoans, while his maternal grandfather was from Metter, Georgia[12] and his maternal grandmother was from Racine, Wisconsin.[13][14] He has two younger sisters, the younger of whom was born intellectually impaired.[20] In his infancy, his family gave him the nickname "Beto", a common Spanish-Portuguese nickname for first names ending in "-berto", initially to distinguish him from his namesake grandfather.[21][22][23][24]"

The annoyingly disingenuous thing about Cruz trying to lay into Beto and go on a tear about him pandering to Hispanic voters by changing his name to Beto, was the insinuation to potential voters that Beto made the conscious decision to do so in order to run for office. As it states above, his family has been calling him Beto since infancy. lol Do you happen to know Juanjo if Beto is actually Hispanic at all? I'm assuming "native El Pasoans" denotes at least some Mexican/Native American lineage. But even if he is totally Anglo and just happens to speak Spanish fluently because of where he grew up, he never "changed his name" for political advantage.

Let's look at Mr. Cruz though. From what I understand he was born to an American Anglo mother and a Cuban father in Canada. As you slyly hint at and allude to in your post above, it was no accident that when he applied to these prestigious schools with notoriously stringent standards and highly coveted slots from the best and brightest from all over the world, that he used his full Hispanic name of Rafael Cruz. The same for highly competitive and coveted law clerkships and internships. Is anyone naive enough to think that Cruz did that without any purpose at all?

Does it stand to reason that he knew for a fact that if he applied to these schools and internships using his full Spanish name and checking off the box of "Hispanic" on his applications, that he would gain an advantage and special consideration (as a minority) over other Anglos applying for the same spots? He purposely worked the quota system and "Equal Opportunity Hire" process when it was to his advantage.

But then as you say... After he graduated, worked those internships, and decided to go into politics as a conservative Republican in Texas, suddenly he mysteriously shifted gears and changed his first name to Ted. All so that he could appear to be as Anglo as possible to white voters in spite of the surname of Cruz.

But somehow O'Rourke is the bad guy who is cold, deceptive, self-dealing, calculating and dishonest---and scheming for political advantage with voters--simply by using the name Beto. Uhmm. Oookaay....... Hahaha

Last edited:
My understanding is that Cruz was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and retained his Canadian citizenship until @ 2014, so he probably ran for President illegally as he was not a natural born citizen of the US as the Constitution requires. But Republicans are not bothered by such annoying technicalities, as some of them presume that the law applies to Democrats but not to Republicans. On another more uplifting note, on this sad day where former Republican Senator, Presidential candidate and American war hero Bob Dole, announced that he had stage 4 cancer, President Biden immediately visited him. No word from fake bone spurs draft dodger Trump who considers Americans who served our country stupid for not paying off their doctors to give them phony medical letters in support of their applications for 4-F deferments. Is not it clear now why the widow of John McCain endorsed Biden for President. For some Americans country comes before politics.

Still to this day there's no love lost between John Boehner and Ted Cruz. haha

HuffPost

John Boehner Tells Ted Cruz To 'Go F**k Yourself' In Rogue Audiobook Aside: Report

Ron Dicker·General Assignment Reporter, HuffPost
Fri, February 26, 2021, 7:09 AM

Former House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) still seems to despise Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) ― and he took an off-script detour from recording his new audiobook to declare it.

In a rogue moment while recording the audio for his memoir, Boehner exclaimed: “Oh, and Ted Cruz, go fuck yourself,” Axios reported Thursday, citing two unnamed sources familiar with the session.

“You can blame the wine for the expletives,” Boehner tweeted about his “On The House: A Washington Memoir” tapings, along with a photo of him behind a microphone holding a glass of red wine.

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/john-boehner-ted-cruz-go-fuck-yourself-120914681.html