• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Have A Great Labor Day!

mikeyank

Long time forumite
Reaction score
To all currently working or retired forumites, I wish you a Happy Labor Day, the unofficial end of summer. It has been a beautiful weekend in NYC so far and today should be hot and sunny, a great day for the beach, the park, a parade or to go to the ball game. Unfortunately I have to work today, but my vacation time is coming up real soon, and by next Labor Day, I will be retired.

Have a great day ALL!!!

3181.jpg

Happy Labor Day Mike and everyone else here. Yes Brooklyn NY has beautiful weather now. Nice and cool in the mornings and dry warm to hot in the afternoons. I noticed its dark in the mornings and gets dark again earlier at night. Nice being retired. I retired when I was just 56 and love it . My pension was less than if I worked more but I don't regret it for a moment.

Happy Labor Day everyone! I am actually in LA helping my daughter and her friend move back to Dallas. It is a true "labor day" for us, but it will be worth it!

Happy labor Day everyone!! nice weather today in Seattle a warm 75 deg and sunny. Good day to golf, but everyone else is so I'll stick around home and relax all day..

Happy Labor Day to everyone as well. Wish I could say I had the day off today. I actually spent time this afternoon paying my bills for the month. However, I was able to do that as a result of the 51 years I worked. I am retired now, but my total income consists of my SS check and two small pension checks. I am not complaining. I made some sacrifices along the way to get to where I am today. It took a lot of downsizing from a house to a mobile home and eventually a trailer.

My Father, years ago, accused me of being "simple minded." We were talking about my brother who owned a two story house in a ritzy part of town, property in the Carolinas and a motel on the beach. He eventually found himself having to file bankruptcy. While we were talking I thought about what he said to me. I finally asked him what he meant about me being simple minded. He then told me that I was a simple person who was happy living a simple life and not a life of luxury like my brother. He praised me for keeping a job for an extended amount of time and one that offered a pension plan.

Fifty-one years of working and it was well worth it.

Again, Happy Labor Day! To celebrate, Linda and I are going to Checkers tonight for some chili dogs and hamburgers.

Louis

Last edited:
Happy Labor Day to everyone as well. Wish I could say I had the day off today. I actually spent time this afternoon paying my bills for the month. However, I was able to do that as a result of the 51 years I worked. I am retired now, but my total income consists of my SS check and two small pension checks. I am not complaining. I made some sacrifices along the way to get to where I am today. It took a lot of downsizing from a house to a mobile home and eventually a trailer.

My Father, years ago, accused me of being "simple minded." We were talking about my brother who owned a two story house in a ritzy part of town, property in the Carolinas and a motel on the beach. He eventually found himself having to file bankruptcy. While we were talking I thought about what he said to me. I finally asked him what he meant about me being simple minded. He then told me that I was a simple person who was happy living a simple life and not a life of luxury like my brother. He praised me for keeping a job for an extended amount of time and one that offered a pension plan.

Fifty-one years of working and it was well worth it.

Again, Happy Labor Day! To celebrate, Linda and I are going to Checkers tonight for some chili dogs and hamburgers.

Louis

Nice story Louis!! My Dad visited this summer and it was the best time I've ever had with him. He has always been proud of me for my work ethic and my sensibility. I don't live my life for approval of others, but I like the fact that at 52 yo a compliment from my Dad still means a lot to me.

Nice story Louis!! My Dad visited this summer and it was the best time I've ever had with him. He has always been proud of me for my work ethic and my sensibility. I don't live my life for approval of others, but I like the fact that at 52 yo a compliment from my Dad still means a lot to me.

Thank you, Peter, for sharing this. The example or even a pat on the back from our parents or a peer is a great gift.