• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Folk's your going to love this.

i2ina69

BSB Addict
Reaction score
Folk's your going to love this! As most of you know I have colon cancer. Well my employer gave me permission to take the time off for surgery two week's ago. Well friday they fired me after I was on my way home. I lost my insurance and my short term disabillity. :mad: My lawyer is on the job and I think he is more pissed than I am. if that's posabile. At first I thought it was funny. Til I got home and told my lawyer then I got mad. Well everyone take care of yourself.

I believe there is a law that requires the insurance company to allow you to retain your policy on a personal basis for several months. Have your lawyer contact them immediately about it. I also think the short disability continues for a given term regardless of the employment. Also immediately file for unemployment and soak that asshole for every penny you can get.

This is one of those cases that make it easy to understand why we have unions and contracts. No, I do not love this; this makes me angry: angry for you, angry at an employer who thinks this sort of behavior is acceptable; angry at a society where this is allowed.

You are in our prayers and will be until we hear of anything else we can do.
Rifle

Folk's your going to love this! As most of you know I have colon cancer. Well my employer gave me permission to take the time off for surgery two week's ago. Well friday they fired me after I was on my way home. I lost my insurance and my short term disabillity. :mad: My lawyer is on the job and I think he is more pissed than I am. if that's posabile. At first I thought it was funny. Til I got home and told my lawyer then I got mad. Well everyone take care of yourself.

I2ina69:

Rifle has it right. Lawyer good, employer bad. Now on top of everything else you need to get smart on:

STD (Short term disability) - Generally you should get your 2 weeks pay and then some even if your employer cuts you off. Get a copy of your policy and read it!

COBRA - You can pay for your Insurance for 18 months. Watch out as it can be wickedly expensive.

Medicaid - See http://www.mi.gov/mdch This is 2/3 federal money and 1/3 state. It may be an option for you if your income is down and your medical expenses are up and COBRA is too expensive.

Here is the Michigan link for referral to services. Plug in numbers and see what you may be eligible for.
http://www.mfia.state.mi.us/mars/ez_track/MARS000.asp

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Jayce

Last edited:
Thanx you two. I'm going to talk with my lawyer in the morning.

Good move, no point worrying unless he says too

men_lightbulbs_s.gif

Cobra

The assholes (a.k.a - your former employer) are required by law to offer you COBRA. The cost of the Cobra coverage is the normal whole premium. For example, if you previously paid 1/3 of the monthly premium, under COBRA you have to pay 100%.

I hope things all work out.

That's beyond outrageous I2. Greedy bastards! I hope your lawyer can sock it to them. Please keep us updated as to how this is playing out. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

I believe there is a law that requires the insurance company to allow you to retain your policy on a personal basis for several months. Have your lawyer contact them immediately about it. I also think the short disability continues for a given term regardless of the employment. Also immediately file for unemployment and soak that asshole for every penny you can get.

This is one of those cases that make it easy to understand why we have unions and contracts. No, I do not love this; this makes me angry: angry for you, angry at an employer who thinks this sort of behavior is acceptable; angry at a society where this is allowed.

You are in our prayers and will be until we hear of anything else we can do.
Rifle

My understanding is that as long as the medical issue was being adressed at the time your were insured they are required to continue to pay for Tx. I also dito Rifel regarding short term disability. They must also notify you of termination in writing and the reason why. File for unemployemnt immediately after you get the termination letter. In most states you will receive full unemployment benefits as long as you did nothing deliberate like steal money, or beat up a co-worker, etc... Also, unemployment makes the employer prove their case for termination. If they feel it is unjust you win full unemployment. My prayers are with you...:thumbup:

another note on this, they can not legally fire you while you are on medical leave. I am not certain they can technically terminate your employment as in "lay offs" while you are on medical leave either.

I got me one.

Go get em I2ina69...:wink: Nothing more worth getting well for more than a good old fashioned rake over the coals with insane employer.

Jayman your right. And the coals are getting hotter.lol

Jayman your right. And the coals are getting hotter.lol

I hope you start hearing some squeals from the HR department of your former employer. I'd like to see you and your lawyer get those coals white hot. :smackass:

I hope you start hearing some squeals from the HR department of your former employer. I'd like to see you and your lawyer get those coals white hot. :smackass:

I2ina69 you know this will be a little diffrent site at the company there for a while. :scared:

firewalk.jpg

68.jpg

My prayers are with you my good friend.

:lol: :lol: Their squeling like a stuck pig.

That is what I like to hear. I wonder if they realized that by firing you they were essentially promoting you to company owner. Big mistake on their part. :sneaky2:

Last edited:

I'm so happy to hear that! Whoever thought that they would save the company a bunch of money by letting you go is now looking at the possibilty of exactly the opposite. Isn't that some poetic justice?

I'm so happy to hear that! Whoever thought that they would save the company a bunch of money by letting you go is now looking at the possibilty of exactly the opposite. Isn't that some poetic justice?

How a bout it. :lol: