• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Why NBA center Jason Collins is coming out now

This article states better my point on Collins

Jason Collins is not Brittney Griner

By Henry Abbott | May 1, 2013 4:46 PM
So odd to me, that people wonder why Jason Collins' coming out made bigger waves than Brittney Griner's.

Well, gather 'round, because I'm about to explain.

How many WNBA players are out? As of 2005, Michele Van Gorp, Sue Wicks and Sheryl Swoopes. That was eight years ago.
That the WNBA doesn't make news like the NBA is elemental. It is a lower profile sport.
We don't know precisely the obstacles Collins faced in coming out. But we do know that in NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL history no other active player has overcome them before, despite thousands of athletes over more than a century.
Jason Collins is a man.

Whoa. What? Huh? That last point?

If I thought it would work, here's where I'd drop 5,000 words of queer theory on you. Or you can take my word for it that gay men and women have long faced subtly different obstacles in gaining mainstream embrace. For men, a particular issue has been that society's powerbrokers -- disproportionately heterosexual men -- have long acted scared of gay men, and particularly of being sexually assaulted by them.

That quickens the pulse of the people who set the agenda, particularly in the male-dominated sphere of pro sports. For many sports fans that gave Collins' announcement a "wow" factor -- likely subconscious -- that Griner's cool announcement lacked.

This is why we hear so much about group showering whenever gay athletes are discussed. The shower is where a lot of heterosexual men hate to be reminded gay men exist, even if they can handle that reality perfectly well in other settings.

Compared to women or gay men, heterosexual men lack practice coping with sexualization, and are easily alarmed.

So chalk that up as the first fear: That the open existence of homosexual men makes some heterosexual men feel unsafe. This prompts fear. Fear and hatred have always walked hand in hand. Hatred, of course, is the key obstacle Collins will face.

Would you believe there's another fear in play that's even trickier to write about? The second is that admiring professional athletes' bodies -- no small part of what sports fans have long done daily -- just got weird for the ardently heterosexual male. Jason Collins is asking fans to tour their own psyches in a challenging new way.

And here's where I really think you ought to read what one of America's most decorated writers (be warned, it's PG-13 or beyond), Sherman Alexie, has to say about about how we see gay athletes, in The Stranger.
So who are the best-looking men in the USA? The answer, obviously, is professional athletes. I mean, Jesus, Google-Image Adrian Peterson. Study how cut, shredded, and jacked he is.

Cut. Shredded. Jacked. Those are violent straight-boy adjectives that mean "beautiful." But we straight boys aren't supposed to think of other men as beautiful. We're supposed to think of the most physically gifted men as warrior soldiers, as dangerous demigods.

And there's the rub: When we're talking about professional athletes, we are mostly talking about males passionately admiring the physical attributes and abilities of other males. It might not be homosexual, but it certainly is homoerotic.

So when Jason Collins, an NBA basketball player, announced this week that he was gay and became the first active athlete in the four major professional American sports leagues to come out of the closet, I was proud of him. And I was aroused, politically speaking.

He's the Jackie Robinson of homosexual basketball big men.

He's seven feet and 250 pounds of man-loving man.

And he's an aging center in the last days of his professional career who might not be signed by a team next season.

Homophobic basketball fans will disparage his skills, somehow equating his NBA benchwarmer status with his sexuality. But let's not forget that Collins is still one of the best 1,000 basketball players in the world. He has always been better than his modest statistics would indicate, and his teams have been dramatically more efficient with him on the court. He is better at hoops than 99.9 percent of you are at anything you do. He might not be a demigod, but he's certainly a semi-demigod. Moreover, his basketball colleagues universally praise him as a physically and mentally tough player. In his prime, he ably battled that behemoth known as Shaquille O'Neal. Most of all, Collins is widely regarded as one of the finest gentlemen to ever play the game. Generous, wise, and supportive, he's a natural leader. And he has a degree from Stanford University.

In other words, he's a highly attractive dude.

Here's the issue (and I have a hard time being polite in this post since, well, you're a bucknut and all), that if Jason Collins or other athletes go around living an openly gay lifestyle, that stuff is going to come back into the locker room by other reporters and news outlets, bugging his teammates about having an openly gay teammate, etc., because those who are gay in pro sports conduct their private life almost too privately, where in Collins case he was even with someone for eight years and engaged before eventually calling the wedding off. Now, not every athlete needs to go the route Collins did either, having himself on the cover of SI, doing his round of interviews with different networks, etc. But someone did need to kind of break that barrier. Not sure if you listen to Skip Bayless on first take at all or not, but he had a pretty cool story about how Martina Navratilova, a famous women's tennis player, came out through one of his columns, some 32 years ago. And now, finally, after 32 years later, someone in the major 4 sports has finally developed the courage to try and pave the way for people to be able to comfortably live with themselves. Its different than other workplaces in the world because most other jobs don't have news reporters who follow these athletes personal lives off the court just as closely as they do their play on the court. Overall, this story has probably received more attention then it should, but don't underestimate the reactions of fellow professional athletes and the support its received thus far.
I don't know why it would be so difficult to be polite as I think I was very polite in my post, and I didn't have to call anyone names either.

Now that being said, I agree with you. It would be much more difficult to lead a "gay lifestyle" for a famous person than someone who is not in the public eye 24/7. And their coming out would be a significant voice to the gay cause.

I guess I was commenting on a thread that dealt with celebrities coming out and was commenting about my personal experiences. Not being a celebrity, I can go to a gay bar, or cruise the gay areas, or have a relationship with another guy without coming out. I have retired from a great job, was married (to a woman) for six years which resulted in producing two wonderful children. I did what I wanted, usually when I wanted. And in the end, my parents knew I was gay before they died, as does my siblings, my ex-wife, my children and most of my closest friends. I never told them, but they knew and never questioned me about it.

So, was my life so wrong? I don't think so. I am happy just living my life as a man. My private sexual experiences are just that....private. As are the private sexual experiences of all straight men. I don't want to hear about who they sleep with.

I do, BTW, support the gay movement even though I personally would not participate if some of the issues became law. For example, marriage is not for me....been there, done that. With the divorce rate in the U.S. hovering somewhere around 51%, the lawyers are sure supporting it.

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers.....not my intent.

I don't know why it would be so difficult to be polite as I think I was very polite in my post, and I didn't have to call anyone names either.

Now that being said, I agree with you. It would be much more difficult to lead a "gay lifestyle" for a famous person than someone who is not in the public eye 24/7. And their coming out would be a significant voice to the gay cause.

I guess I was commenting on a thread that dealt with celebrities coming out and was commenting about my personal experiences. Not being a celebrity, I can go to a gay bar, or cruise the gay areas, or have a relationship with another guy without coming out. I have retired from a great job, was married (to a woman) for six years which resulted in producing two wonderful children. I did what I wanted, usually when I wanted. And in the end, my parents knew I was gay before they died, as does my siblings, my ex-wife, my children and most of my closest friends. I never told them, but they knew and never questioned me about it.

So, was my life so wrong? I don't think so. I am happy just living my life as a man. My private sexual experiences are just that....private. As are the private sexual experiences of all straight men. I don't want to hear about who they sleep with.

I do, BTW, support the gay movement even though I personally would not participate if some of the issues became law. For example, marriage is not for me....been there, done that. With the divorce rate in the U.S. hovering somewhere around 51%, the lawyers are sure supporting it.

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers.....not my intent.
I don't see a "correct" or "incorrect" answer to the question of if one should come out and to whom. There is no one answer that covers all human beings. We all have to do what is right for us, as it is a very personal decision based on our life's situations.

Thank you for an enlightening post Robb.

First off, it's hard for me to be polite to anyone that openly acknowledges themselves as a Bucknut (or I can just reference you as "Ohio";) )

Secondly, no need to apologize, no feather are ruffled. Pro athletes differ from your typical celebrity, especially in the case of Jason Collins who was an average center at best throughout his career (and far from a celebrity in his own sport, mainly known for having a twin brother in the NBA as well). If you research John Amechi's coming out story, his teammates actually knew and helped cover it up while he was an active player in the league. To date, no pro athlete has had to comment on having an active player, be openly gay on their team, and all the other questions that will stem from it (showering as a team, comfort levels, distractions, etc.). Thus is why its kind of a big deal. There was a rumor earlier this year that like 3 players in the NFL who are gay were going to come out together, but that has faded since. I wonder if now they will see the support Collins has received and be encouraged to do the same. Like I mentioned before, they don't all need their own coming out parade, hitting the front of magazines and headlining talk shows, but with so many of each, it will be difficult to avoid that. Plus, there have been some current pro athletes state that they would not be comfortable with a gay teammate (even though, chances are, they have already had one, but don't know it), so that can still be kind of a barrier. My only hope, is that this story (or just players coming out in general) doesn't dominate the headlines, because honestly, don't we all just want to blend in at the end of the day? Nobody really wants to become famous for being openly gay, they just want to be gay lol.

Oh, and Go Blue :)

First off, it's hard for me to be polite to anyone that openly acknowledges themselves as a Bucknut (or I can just reference you as "Ohio";) )
You can reference me as Buckeye or use my real name, Robb. Buckeye was not used in reference to OSU, but is the nickname of our state. I am not a fan of OSU, so feel free to win EVERY game you play against them. LOL

Go Blue, I guess.

You can reference me as Buckeye or use my real name, Robb. Buckeye was not used in reference to OSU, but is the nickname of our state. I am not a fan of OSU, so feel free to win EVERY game you play against them. LOL

Go Blue, I guess.

Ah. Then my apologies haha.