• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Why NBA center Jason Collins is coming out now

mikeyank

Long time forumite
Reaction score
Today we have had the first professional athlete in one of the four major sports, (baseball, football, basketball and hockey) come out and admit that they are gay while still playing.

The entire article is on Sports Illustrated.com

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/#ixzz2RsQTKLok

Here are a few highlights from the story:

"I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand. My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons."

"The first relative I came out to was my aunt Teri, a superior court judge in San Francisco. Her reaction surprised me. "I've known you were gay for years," she said. From that moment on I was comfortable in my own skin. In her presence I ignored my censor button for the first time. She gave me support. The relief I felt was a sweet release. Imagine you're in the oven, baking. Some of us know and accept our sexuality right away and some need more time to cook. I should know -- I baked for 33 years.

When I was younger I dated women. I even got engaged. I thought I had to live a certain way. I thought I needed to marry a woman and raise kids with her. I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue.

I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston's 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I'm seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn't even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I'd been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, "Me, too."

"I feel blessed that I recognized my own attractions. Though I resisted my impulses through high school, I knew that when I was ready I had someone to turn to: my uncle Mark in New York. I knew we could talk without judgment, and we did last summer. Uncle Mark is gay. He and his partner have been in a stable relationship forever. For a confused young boy, I can think of no better role model of love and compassion.

I didn't come out to my brother until last summer. His reaction to my breakfast revelation was radically different from Aunt Teri's. He was downright astounded. He never suspected. So much for twin telepathy. But by dinner that night, he was full of brotherly love. For the first time in our lives, he wanted to step in and protect me."

Why is a mediocre player that would never get on Sports Illustrated normally, cause he came out. I am glad he feels comfortable enough to do it but a journeyman player who is remembered more for being in the NBA draft with his twin brother will do nothing to make other gay athletes come out. He is not a superstar player or even an average player until a big time athlete comes out no one is going to follow Mr Collins lead.

Why is a mediocre player that would never get on Sports Illustrated normally, cause he came out. I am glad he feels comfortable enough to do it but a journeyman player who is remembered more for being in the NBA draft with his twin brother will do nothing to make other gay athletes come out. He is not a superstar player or even an average player until a big time athlete comes out no one is going to follow Mr Collins lead.

And you'd probably turn down $500,000 because it wasn't a $1,000,000.

I agree Keylow that a superstar or even a starting player coming out would be a lot more effective than Jason Collins, but they also have a lot more to lose in endorsement deals. I would imagine if there were any Jason Collins sneaker deals, this would hurt him financially.

But as we have had probably tens of thousands of professional athletes playing in all the major sports for all these years, I still think it takes a lot of balls, and I congratulate Jason Collins for being the first ever to come out while still attempting to continue his professional career. It is a very positive first step.

Stowe 1 I would acknowledge your reply if it was pertinent to the discussion but since it does not you are dismissed. I agree Mike but according to Nike a superstar athlete could make millions more in endorsements cause they can market them to a broader group than just sports fans. I am glad he came out but at 34 he is toward the end of his career.

Despite the snarky comment by one poster, it takes courage to come out publicly when one plays in a major sport. Our snarky poster is not playing major league anything so his comment can be dismissed for what it is, bitchy. It would not surprise me if some others out there are weighing whether or not to come out. How this man is treated is going to determine when and if they come out. And this is important because whether one likes it or not sports figures are looked up to as role models by kids. Having gay sports figure treated well and not with snarky comments from queens and homophobic comments from straights is going to go far in giving gay kids role models to look up to and give straight kids role models guiding them in how to treat openly gay counterparts/

I listen to a lot of sports talk radio, both in the car and at home, and with all the discussion about Collins and gay athletes, I keep hearing the hosts and the callers referring to it as "sexual preference" which is a term that I totally reject. I never choose to be gay. It is just what I am and how God created me. The term "sexual orientation" is so much more applicable, but so many straights think that we woke up one day and just decided that we wanted to be gay.

Hmmmm, puzzling reactions. I guess I just applaud his courage. And whether you look at it as a small step, or a giant leap.....forward movement, is still forward movement.

I'm still at a loss in understanding why gays find it necessary to "come out". One's sexual activities. regardless of sexual orientation, is nobody's business but their own. No gay man is going to have sex with a straight man unless the straight man wants it too. Why go through all the stress of informing the world that you prefer sex with another man? They should just go about their lives just like straight men do and let people wonder, if they have nothing better to do. I have never "come out" to anyone and have led a happy, normal life. A few people thought that I may have been gay, but I never gave them the satisfaction of knowing for sure. We spend too much time worrying about something that nobody really cares about, except the busy bodies with too much time on their hands.

Last edited:
Mr. Ohio- you seem to equate Coming Out with a detailed expose on how one gets off sexually. Coming Out means telling your friends, relatives co-workers (and sometimes the world), that while you attracted to people of the same gender you are still the same person as before with a myriad of interests,plusses and flaws. Mr. Ohio ALL straight people are out and if you don't see that you live in a hermitically sealed bubble and not a closet. Gay people come out to lead more honest and emotionally happier lives,to inspire young people who think their life is limited or over because they are Gay and to stand up to the powerful political and religious"Busybodies" who strive to keep Gay people 2nd class citizens and limit their rights. Mr MikeYank I always say that I didn't choose my sexual orientation, my sexual orientation chose me.

"Despite the snarky comment by one poster, it takes courage to come out publicly when one plays in a major sport. Our snarky poster is not playing major league anything so hnis comment can be dismissed for what it is, bitchy. It would not surprise me if some others out there are weighing whether or not to come out. How this man is treated is going to determine when and if they come out. And this is important because whether one likes it or not sports figures are looked up to as role models by kids. Having gay sports figure treated well and not with snarky comments from queens and homophobic comments from straights is
going to go far in giving gay kids role models to look up to and give straight kids role models guiding them in how to treat openly
gay counterparts/ "

I am assuming you meant me ,but you I perceive do not watch basketball or you would know that Jason Collins averaged 1.7 points last year which I why I stated what I did. I do not play major sports I have on the other hand been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan so what have you done lately exactly.

"Despite the snarky comment by one poster, it takes courage to come out publicly when one plays in a major sport. Our snarky poster is not playing major league anything so hnis comment can be dismissed for what it is, bitchy. It would not surprise me if some others out there are weighing whether or not to come out. How this man is treated is going to determine when and if they come out. And this is important because whether one likes it or not sports figures are looked up to as role models by kids. Having gay sports figure treated well and not with snarky comments from queens and homophobic comments from straights is
going to go far in giving gay kids role models to look up to and give straight kids role models guiding them in how to treat openly
gay counterparts/ "

I am assuming you meant me ,but you I perceive do not watch basketball or you would know that Jason Collins averaged 1.7 points last year which I why I stated what I did. I do not play major sports I have on the other hand been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan so what have you done lately exactly.

Don't worry about Juanjo my friend, he takes pleasure in upset people on here. People should realise that whilst these so called mega stars are pondering whether or not to come out, there are indeed brave guys like yourself dodging bullets and roadside bombs in that hell hole. Yesterday we (the British) lost 3 brave soldiers to a roadside bomb. People like yourself Jay deserve commendation and not such stupid "sarky bitchy" remarks from the arrogant members.

Thanks Jon I never thought stating a fact would make people attack you.

@Jay, this is a historical moment in American History. The first gay professional athlete who is presently playing came out. He has saved countless kids lives with this announcement. As a veteran teacher, I've been to more kids' funerals due to bullying /suicide than I care to remember. Some will gain some confidence to stand up to the bully constantly calling him/her "fag", etc. because of Collins' coming out. The Sports Illustrated cover is a keeper for those who collect such memorabilia. I feel more will slowly creep out (hopefully) which will in turn start some sports' followers to think on it. Until now all they have done is name call and quote the Bible (knee jerk reactions)

@ kylebrand I understand where you guys are coming from but growing up I got called worse than fag but that is here nor there. I am saying he is not an active player he is a free agent who is not signed to any team. I think you guys are misunderstanding me I never said that him coming out was bad , but I did say as an avid NBA fan I am watching the OKC and Houston right now. Jason Collins I am glad he came out but the guy is no star he is a mediocre player at best that managed to hang around the league can any of you tell me what teams he played for during his career no you are getting upset with me for stating the facts that he is not that good a player. I know about bullying but being called gay or fag or kinder words then some I was called growing up in the bible belt of Mississippi they had a tree they called the hanging tree which they used to threaten to hang us from for talking to white girls. Who tells kids that in the 90's you can get on your soap box but at the end of the day being gay is about sexual attraction no one knows unless you tell them I could not turn off my color and even today there are towns I can't go too in the south for fear of being killed.

@ kylebrand I understand where you guys are coming from but growing up I got called worse than fag but that is here nor there. I am saying he is not an active player he is a free agent who is not signed to any team. I think you guys are misunderstanding me I never said that him coming out was bad , but I did say as an avid NBA fan I am watching the OKC and Houston right now. Jason Collins I am glad he came out but the guy is no star he is a mediocre player at best that managed to hang around the league can any of you tell me what teams he played for during his career no you are getting upset with me for stating the facts that he is not that good a player. I know about bullying but being called gay or fag or kinder words then some I was called growing up in the bible belt of Mississippi they had a tree they called the hanging tree which they used to threaten to hang us from for talking to white girls. Who tells kids that in the 90's you can get on your soap box but at the end of the day being gay is about sexual attraction no one knows unless you tell them I could not turn off my color and even today there are towns I can't go too in the south for fear of being killed.

Guess Neil Young was right.

I'm not really sure what the disagreement is about here. Of course Jason Collins is a marginal player whose career may be over, and if it was a superstar like LeBron James or Carmello Anthony or even an older Kobe Bryant, it would mean so much more, but it is a very positive step and hopefully Collins will become a pioneer in being an "out" professional athlete in the U.S.

I firmly believe that 10% of the population always has been and always will be gay or bisexual with gay leanings, and therefore there are so many closeted baseball, basketball, football and hockey players in this country, and they will become such important role models for kid's growing up in the coming years. I totally applaud the bravery of Jason Collins and thank him for being a pioneer in gay culture.

I'm still at a loss in understanding why gays find it necessary to "come out". One's sexual activities. regardless of sexual orientation, is nobody's business but their own. No gay man is going to have sex with a straight man unless the straight man wants it too. Why go through all the stress of informing the world that you prefer sex with another man? They should just go about their lives just like straight men do and let people wonder, if they have nothing better to do. I have never "come out" to anyone and have led a happy, normal life. A few people thought that I may have been gay, but I never gave them the satisfaction of knowing for sure. We spend too much time worrying about something that nobody really cares about, except the busy bodies with too much time on their hands.

Here's the issue (and I have a hard time being polite in this post since, well, you're a bucknut and all), that if Jason Collins or other athletes go around living an openly gay lifestyle, that stuff is going to come back into the locker room by other reporters and news outlets, bugging his teammates about having an openly gay teammate, etc., because those who are gay in pro sports conduct their private life almost too privately, where in Collins case he was even with someone for eight years and engaged before eventually calling the wedding off. Now, not every athlete needs to go the route Collins did either, having himself on the cover of SI, doing his round of interviews with different networks, etc. But someone did need to kind of break that barrier. Not sure if you listen to Skip Bayless on first take at all or not, but he had a pretty cool story about how Martina Navratilova, a famous women's tennis player, came out through one of his columns, some 32 years ago. And now, finally, after 32 years later, someone in the major 4 sports has finally developed the courage to try and pave the way for people to be able to comfortably live with themselves. Its different than other workplaces in the world because most other jobs don't have news reporters who follow these athletes personal lives off the court just as closely as they do their play on the court. Overall, this story has probably received more attention then it should, but don't underestimate the reactions of fellow professional athletes and the support its received thus far.

To keylow:
So I'm going to imply that you thought Jason Collins did this to try and prolong his career in the NBA? I find that pretty hard to believe, because for one, anyone who is interested in signing Collins, who is a big 7 foot body that can defend, and there is always a market for that in the NBA (look no farther than the Heat snagging up Chris Anderson and Knicks signing Kenyon Martin during the season to fill that very role). If anything, it hurts his chances of being signed to another team because of the distraction or "circus" some feel it would bring. I find it hard for any GM/Owner to think it would actually help their locker room/team based on that fact. And I know he played for the Nets and Hawks :)

Not at all Austin I was just stating he is not very good and when he was younger he was a good defender. Dwight Howard man handled him when he was still in Orlando he was good for fouling at crucial times. I was just saying Brittney Griner came out before the WNBA draft and still went No 1. The WNBA is not a major sport so she was not covered like him and I know she is a better player than him.