• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

The "Stand Your Ground" Laws

tampa24

BSB God
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

We had discussed before the merits and the controversy of the "Stand Your Ground" laws enacted in various states. The first state to do it was Florida. Other states followed. I'm not a legal expert but it basically says that you are allowed to use lethal force if you consider yourself in physical danger from someone in situations ranging from home invasions, to carjackings, to muggings. If you have a weapon and consider your life and/or property to be in danger you can shoot to kill. You do not have to prove later that the person had a weapon.

This law varies from other states where the burden is on the victim to retreat whenever possible without doing any physical harm to the criminal. If you injure or kill someone during an invasion of your home or during the course of other crimes, many other states allow the criminals or their families to sue you for medical expenses, pain and suffering or for wrongful death. What do you guys think?

There is another story down in Florida that is making news right now. Here's a link:

www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/30/florida.shooting.law/index.html

It was a car ...... flipping heck

I'd sooner let someone take my car then shot them... but if they were hurting a loved one then id shot..

Law sucks

Hey Guys,

We had discussed before the merits and the controversy of the "Stand Your Ground" laws enacted in various states. The first state to do it was Florida. Other states followed. I'm not a legal expert but it basically says that you are allowed to use lethal force if you consider yourself in physical danger from someone in situations ranging from home invasions, to carjackings, to muggings. If you have a weapon and consider your life and/or property to be in danger you can shoot to kill. You do not have to prove later that the person had a weapon.

This law varies from other states where the burden is on the victim to retreat whenever possible without doing any physical harm to the criminal. If you injure or kill someone during an invasion of your home or during the course of other crimes, many other states allow the criminals or their families to sue you for medical expenses, pain and suffering or for wrongful death. What do you guys think?

There is another story down in Florida that is making news right now. Here's a link:

www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/30/florida.shooting.law/index.html

Tampa:

I think this one varies East vs West. Here in AZ you can carry a weapon just about anywhere as long as it is visible (unless you have a permit for concealment).

The law used to be you could shoot the intruder as long as they fell within the house. Now they can fall back out of the house. I remember in the 70's that the police dept went on strike (yep!), the crime rate went DOWN out of fear of being shot to death (the police at that time shot to wound not kill).

In general I do not mind weapons, I grew up with them. My parents also required me to take the AZ Fish and Game Gun Safety course EVERY YEAR. I do not have a weapon now. If being carjacked or mugged, give it up no life is worth those things. Defense of self and home is something else. We had a robbery next door last year. Mikey and I discussed what actions if any we should take. We ended up going for a more passive defense, an alarm system. It works when your not at home as well!

Now all of that being said, one does not need to have a machine gun or an assault rifle to protect property and life. Nor do I believe in concealed weapons permits. If you are packing I would rather be able to clearly see that you are.

Thats a good start for a conversation and my typing sucks!

Be well,

Jayce

It was a car ...... flipping heck

I'd sooner let someone take my car then shot them... but if they were hurting a loved one then id shot..

Law sucks

I tend to agree with you Kodie. If it's a possession and your physical safety is not at risk I would be opposed to using deadly force. I was not in the situation with the owner though as his valuable car was being stolen off of his property. Would I have done that? No. But... Do I think he had no right to do as he saw fit on his own property within his own conscience? No. It is the choice of the victim. I'm glad they at least have the right to use force...even lethal force if they see fit. Before in Florida our only legal option was to comply with the criminal or try to retreat from him.

As the manager of a restaurant for many years I was robbed several times at gunpoint. When you've had the experience of having a gun shoved in your face and then into your back and some lowlife scumbag is calling you everything but your name, you don't forget that. First you feel absolute terror. Then hopefully after it's over without injury, you feel enraged and wish that you had had your own gun to shoot the SOB. Those are just the emotions that you go through in the course of being the victim of a crime.

I was once robbed at gunpoint and ended up having a finger on each hand injured so badly that they both required surgery. One finger is mildly impaired permanently. I can no longer go bowl with my right hand for instance. Do I wish I had had my own gun to shoot the guy before he could hurt me. Hell yes! But that was before the Stand Your Ground law passed. So if I had injured or killed him I could have been sued for damages. Or been sent to prison myself...

Last edited:
I tend to agree with you Kodie. If it's a possession and your physical safety is not at risk I would be opposed to using deadly force. I was not in the situation with the owner though as his valuable car was being stolen off of his property. Would I have done that? No. But... Do I think he had no right to do as he saw fit on his own property within his own conscience? No. It is the choice of the victim. I'm glad they at least have the right to use force...even lethal force if they see fit. Before in Florida our only legal option was to comply with the criminal or try to retreat from him.

As the manager of a restaurant for many years I was robbed several times at gunpoint. When you've had the experience of having a gun shoved in your face and then into your back and some lowlife scumbag is calling you everything but your name, you don't forget that. First you feel absolute terror. Then hopefully after it's over without injury, you feel enraged and wish that you had had your own gun to shoot the SOB. Those are just the emotions that you go through in the course of being the victim of a crime.

I was once robbed at gunpoint and ended up having a finger on each hand injured so badly that they both required surgery. One finger is mildly impaired permanently. I can no longer go bowl with my right hand for instance. Do I wish I had had my own gun to shoot the guy before he could hurt me. Hell yes! But that was before the Stand Your Ground law passed. So if I had injured or killed him I could have been sued for damages. Or been sent to prison myself...

I know My daughter had a gun held to her hip, when we were shuting our mixed business for the night.. it was done with such force she had a bruise for well over a week.

Hope - Maree has will never get over it, she cant even talk about it.

She went with me to a supplier to pick up some stock it was over 3 yrs later a guy walked out of the freezer room wearing a ski mask she freaked out, the poor guy felt so bad,he didnt know what to do