• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

R.I.P Yogi Berra

mikeyank

Long time forumite
Reaction score
Sad news that one of the greatest catchers in the history of baseball passed away last night. He was an 18 time all star, and won 10 world series as a player but he is best known for his "yogi-isms" where he often mangled the English language, but his comments often made a lot of sense in a strange way. Here is a top 20 list of them I found on line from "The Guardian"

“Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.”
“When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
“It’s déjà vu all over again.”
“We made too many wrong mistakes.”
“If you don’t know where you’re going, you might wind up someplace else.”
“It gets late early out here.”
“I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.”
“Even Napoleon had his Watergate.”
“Pair up in threes.”
“The future ain’t what it used to be.”
“Slump? I ain’t in no slump … I just ain’t hitting.”
“Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.”
“It ain’t the heat, it’s the humility.”
“A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”
“He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.”
“You can observe a lot by watching.”
“I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.”
“Never answer an anonymous letter.”
“It ain’t over till it’s over.”
“I never said most of the things I said.”

His name also inspired the cartoon character Yogi Bear. He was also known as a lovable, sweet man, and as a Yankee fan, he was always around the team, in spring training, at opening day, on old timers day, and at other Yankee events, until ill health kept him home in recent years. Yogi passed at age 90. God Bless You, Yogi Berra!

24berra-photo1-articleLarge.jpg

How sad for you Mikeyank! I know how this feels for you, I saw with my own eyes how everything Yankees means so much to you. Although my Mariners Safeco field has a bigger screen then Yankee stadiums (as my little Bronx boy told us) I loved seeing the excitement in your eyes while we toured the "The Great Yankee Stadium". RIP Yogi.....

Bless Yogi and you, mikeyank. One of my favorite yogism is You can observe a lot just by watching. Its kind of my mantra.

As a life-long Yankee fan, I was saddened to hear that Yogi passed away yesterday. He epitomized the Yankee spirit and was a great representative of the team and major league baseball. There have been so many great Yankee players over the decades, but when I think of the Yankees I think of The Babe, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, and Yogi.

May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace !!

Thanks guys. I did not really expect much of a response to this thread, but Yogi apparently transcends just Yankee or even baseball fans.

it is rare for anyone to reach a level of fame where just their first name identifies them. yogi is one of that rare few.
it ain't over till it's over!
rest in peace, yogi!

Hey, Mike ~

I don't know nearly as much about baseball, as you do. . . what I do know is, that in my little job, I've been mining Yogi Berra's quotes, for YEARS. . . always to good effect. Because he was, in addition to being one of the greatest baseball players of all time, a truly wise, perceptive, and FUNNY, man.

Sometimes I have trouble with links to Charlie Rose's site - and the videos do unaccountably change position! But, right now, Charlie's most recent episode is right at the top. And its last 14 minutes (you have to scroll past discussion of Volkswagen's woes, and a discussion with Carol Burnett. . . well, you might want to watch Carol, too!) features a compilation of Charlie's interviews, with Mr. Berra. I thought you might enjoy these.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO

http://www.charlierose.com/