• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

May 20 Annular Eclipse

vicekid

Reaction score
A couple of months ago under the Science thread we talked about astronomy. At the time I mentioned this Annular Eclipse of the sun. Well I just got back from Utah, scouting out potential sites to view this near sunset event. I have found several great sites and wanted to let you all know about it in case you would like to join myself and who knows how may other view the greatest natural event we have on planet earth. The eclipse will have on Sunday, May 20th.

My base of operations will be St. George, Utah. The proposed viewing areas range from the mesa above St. George, to about 45 minutes to the north, closer to the center of the eclipse (where it will last over 4 1/2 minutes). While St. George and near by Ceder City have small airports, I plan on flying to Las Vegas and driving to St. George. I found many hotels in St. George and surround areas. I will provide special eclipse viewing glasses to safely observe the eclipse.

I plan are arriving in St. George that Friday, to re-scout my locations before making the final selection. Other eclipse chasers will be joining me, so we will have other "experts" for our viewing (at least one international chaser).

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Mark, for you it might be just a few hour drive to get here, a tad long for you Blake. Here are a couple of photos the the annular eclipse I saw in Panama, in 2005. The only difference between what you are seeing here and what will be seen in Utah is that the moon will be smaller so the ring of fire (sun) will be thicker. Still over 95% of the sun will be covered by the moon. We will still ahve to wait another 5 years before the US has a total eclipse of the sun.

If anyone one is interested in coming out to witness, let me know. I'll do my best to fill you in on details and to make it fun and educational. The sites around here alone are breath taking.

Attachments

• HSE 05 3rd contact filtered.jpg
    HSE 05 3rd contact filtered.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 58
  • HSE 05 mideclipse filtered.jpg
    HSE 05 mideclipse filtered.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 49
wouldn't you know it a solar eclipse on the same weekend as long beach pride.
long beach, california and st. george, utah wish i could do both.
take lots of pictures and post them, please.

wouldn't you know it a solar eclipse on the same weekend as long beach pride.
long beach, california and st. george, utah wish i could do both.
take lots of pictures and post them, please.

Life is sure a bitch. Eclipses in the USA are not very common, Pride far more common. You only live once. Try something new.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Life is sure a bitch. Eclipses in the USA are not very common, Pride far more common. You only live once. Try something new.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

if this was the hometown pride, then i would pass on pride and go to utah.
train fare and hotel room and tickets to long beach pride already paid for.
my partner would never want me to spend money on something i could use.

anybody want ticket to long beach pride and a hotel room for two nights?

if this was the hometown pride, then i would pass on pride and go to utah.
train fare and hotel room and tickets to long beach pride already paid for.

anybody want ticket to long beach pride and a hotel room for two nights?

should read ...on something i could not use.
that should read better. least it should say what i meant.